Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Ditto!!!

I would help too, but, I am sure Mike and RB are more knowledgeable about basic money matters, especially investing.

Just remember the Driver Method of justifying payments. Get what you want within reason, and then see how much it will really cost over time.

We bought this house 5 years ago and we went $25000 over our maximum that we wanted to pay. Using the Driver Method, I calculated that would be meaningless 20 years from now...we wouldn't even think about it.

The house has gone up at least $100K in value since we bought it.

Don't let little details get in the way of the big picture.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    This sluggishness seems similar to what Sandy is describing, no

Certainly could be. The transmission programming on most new vehicles is surely done for FE. Quick shifts, second gear starts, upshifts on deceleration, etc.

I remember when Toyota first introduced it's DBW 5 speed tranny. The posts about it "lit-up" the Avalon and ES330 boards. People just weren't used to it. Now most new cars do the same thing. I know the six speed in my Buick does some odd things.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    Aren't most new transmissions adaptive? What I understand from mfrs. clamis, they come with generic program, but then they are supposed to learn driver's habits and remap themselves to fit driver's preferences. If that's true, you may try to press it a bit more often, so the tranny learns that you don't want it to shift too early. But of course we also have nannies everwhere too, so we don't get a boo boo.

Seems self-driving cars with bubble wrap are just behind the corner, anyway... ;)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I got a new email and was locked out for 2 days.
    Asked for help which didn't work so I signed up new.
    Just curious which screen name it will be.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    zipdriver

Looks like this one works.

Are we related?

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Robr2...thanks. I had no idea about the alcohol fuel blends....just the E85.

Learn something new here everyday.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Are we related?

No, and I'm not Canadian either. The name was a fluke as I thought it wouldn't work so just put anything in there (zipdriver) after the email change fiasco. I've been on here over 8 years. Maybe you can guess what my old name was.

• Options
    Hmmm,

I'll guess this is Richard.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Aren't most new transmissions adaptive?

You are 100% correct about "adaptive" transmissions. According to my Service Manager/Director at Mercedes Benz, it takes about 1000 miles of driving before the transmission "learns" your style of driving. The 2012 and 2013 had the same "adaptive learning curve", however there was a noticeable difference between the 2013 and 2014. The 2014 actually illuminates the current gear you are in. The previous read outs in the 2010-2013 did not. The next thing I noticed is that it starts off in 1st gear, which was not the case with previous E 350's. When I reach 30 mph, I'm already in 5th gear which is what created the sluggishness.

What I am attempting to do is accelerate with more throttle for the next few hundred miles in order to hold gears a little longer. Also, to give it more throttle when I need to accelerate from 30 or 35 mph to 40 or 45 mph. It just takes some getting used to.

So far, highway mpg's is now at 32.5 and city is around 20 mpg. Combined is running about 25 mpg. The biggest jump in mpg's is city - I used to get about 17 mpg, so the new car is giving me 3 mpg more in city driving due mostly to the brand new transmission and the ECO start/stop feature. I'm running on Costco Premium, but my Service Manager recommends staying with Shell, Mobil, Texico or Chevron. 27 cents a gallon more for those Tier 1 brands is quite a bit. Costco down here in Pompano Beach is at 371.9 per gallon for premium compared with 399.9 for most tier 1 brands.

But, there is no doubt, the new 2014 gets better fuel economy, but the new transmission takes some getting used to.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I'll guess this is Richard

That was my guess - but until zipdriver reveals his true identity, we won't know for sure - only his "hairdresser" knows for sure!!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    The only reason I think it's him is because someone mentioned his personal Email bounced back to them.

I would think one of the Hosts should be able to get him back into his account.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Mike - By the time the transmission learns how you drive, you'll be ready for the 2015 that comes in the interior color you wanted :P

Joking, but on a serious note, you won't have the car long enough to feel the ill effects of supposedly not using tier 1 gasoline. Graphicguy trusts Costco & so do I.

Your FE numbers are impressive given the size of an E350. My 328xi gets about 22.5 combined and that's with a decent amount of highway driving. Of course Ive only got a 6 speed automatic and AWD.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    is fezo

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Fezo has been here since at least April 13, 2001 (isn't that the date all "old timers" have, some sort of forum change?). So I think that is out since "Zipdriver" said 8 years.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Found a Mobil station over at Sample and Powerline on the way home yesterday at a decent price, but I use regular. Don't ever use Mobil petrol but so far the Civic seems pretty happy...I usually use Shell or BP and lately whatever I can find cheaply down by the port where we park. But the Civic felt a bit more "energetic" this morning on the Sawgrass with Mobil so might start using it. The mileage figures have been somewhat o k lately with 33 or so on the highway and 30ish in town, so am happy with the vehicle thus the reason it's staying, it does everything right and the only drawback is that I kinda drop into it instead of just sliding over and with my spinal issues, I want a vehicle that lets me slide into it. But by trading I'd lose too much $ as it really is in pristine condition for an almost 7 year old vehicle...and I'm not just going to give it away. I am not in need of a newer vehicle, a great position to be in and though I do want one...I don't need one. So, I stay the course!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I thought (hoped) it might be Richard also...but I don't think he has been here for 8 years. More like 5.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Are we related?

That is probably my favorite post of yours.
  • Options
    Sandman, the Focus automatic transmission is a dual clutch version, made to get better gas mileage. Ford opted for a dual clutch instead of using the CVT method for getting better mileage. Dual Clutch is faster, doesn't race like a CVT, but, it is not as smooth.

I looked up 2013 Focus transmissions on Edmunds and I read a lot of horror stories about how there are all kinds of transmission and electrical failures with Focus's, and many posters say they will never buy another one.
    2013 Focus transmission problems - Edmunds

Another interesting article is this one from How it Works, explaining the difference between a CVT and DC (dual clutch) transmission, and you will see why the Focus doesn't shift very smoothly...though the DC transmission has more power.

Difference between a CVT and Dual Clutch transmission

• Options
    I've been on here over 8 years. Maybe you can guess what my old name was.

I'm not good at guessing, but, hope it isn't andre :cry:

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    There was no rant about how the email provider screwed him over, so I don't think it's him.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    That is probably my favorite post of yours.

Agreed, that was a good one. Not Richard.

Mustang, not a Cadillac.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    That gave it away! At least to me :)
  • Options
    The Edmunds account manager emailed me to sign out and sign back in with a newly assigned password and it would give me back my old name. Now I can't sign out. Oh well, if you're going to be held captive, where better than my favorite car site.

• Options
    Clear all your cookies, that should do it.

A hint for the others...."shark"

• Options
    It's not an automatic transmission, but you don't have to manually shift it.
    My Mom has a Fiesta with that transmission.
    Like Robr2 said, great fuel mileage. You do have to be a bit sensitive to it to drive it smoothly, kind of like a manual trans.
    That's what catches people off guard. They are expecting it to drive like an automatic. Most of them probably think that's what it is.
    Of course, Ford never said it was gong to drive differently than a torque converter automatic.
  • Options
    There was no rant about how the email provider screwed him over, so I don't think it's him.

OK!!! I must have missed something or the distractions of my shoulder pain and discomfort have affected my brain - but I still don't know who "zipdriver" is!!!

What did I miss and who is he/she?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I just finished registration for the outpatient surgical center - then got a call back from one of the RN's explaining the details.

I arrive at 6:00 AM for per-op. by 7:00 AM, I'm out cold. The arthroscopic shoulder repair takes about an hour. By 8:30 AM, I'm awake and getting IV antibiotics and pain medication. By 12:00 noon, I'm on my way home. Amazing what they can do now.

A couple of months of rehab PT, and I should have less pain and more mobility.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Best of luck! Let us know how you are doing once you start to feel better.

• Options
    Best of luck! Let us know how you are doing once you start to feel better.

Sure will. I have one more blood test to be done "stat" Monday morning and I see the surgeon tomorrow morning.

Thanks, tjc!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    Good luck to you, Mike. Mark the correct shoulder for surgery. It's scary how often that's confused. My last knee surgery I marked the incision points for the surgeon :D
  • Options
    Almost forgot: mark the correct shoulder for surgery. It's scary how often that's confused. My last knee surgery I marked the incision points for the surgeon

Yes - the nurse said that they mark the shoulder (right) to be operated on before the anesthesiologist puts me under.

Toughest part of the surgery and rehab with sling is going be body hygiene, especially after using the facilities (trying to be careful here) since I am right-handed. I've been practicing with my left hand, but it ain't pretty, that's for sure. Also, shaving - the electric shaver is going to get a lot of use these next few months. You don't think of these things before saying yes to surgery, but it will have a significant affect on my life for awhile.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

lol

• Options
    Agreed, that was a good one. Not Richard.
    Mustang, not a Cadillac.

Now I know......live "near" Deliverance Country (I know, not really, but close enough for me).

Try to get your old name back...it just isn't the same calling you zipdriver.

• Options
    Good luck to you, Mike. Mark the correct shoulder for surgery. It's scary how often that's confused. My last knee surgery I marked the incision points for the surgeon

Yeh, good luck Mike.

Good idea marking the right limb. I had an appointment before my hernia operation and the doctor insisted it was on my right side and I told him it was on the left. He said his notes had it on the right. After an examination he agreed with me. I went somewhere else to have it done...the trust was gone!

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Mike....best of luck with the surgery. You'll be good as new before you know it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    No kidding. Hygiene, buttons, eating, etc... You'll be a pro with the left arm in no time, though. Keep your positive attitude, don't forget to laugh at the funny moments, and do more than the physical therapists ask. This will be over in a flash and you'll feel so much better. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    Wow, truly scary about a mixup like that, Driver. Good choice finding someone else. I marked my knee before the surgeon even saw me, and then he signed the correct knee and had me do the same. Sounds like Mike's surgeon plays it safe, too. The only thing I'd do different is I would have shaved the leg myself. There's nothing like sitting in a gown in a freezing operating room while a nurse scrapes away on my skin with a crappy one-time use shaver.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    hernia and cataract (X2) surgery over the past two years, it's abundantly apparent that avoiding lawsuits is high on the list of what goes on. I was asked many times exactly what was supposed to happen by any number of different people.

That said, I never had to mark on my own body which side was supposed to be dealt with. However, if you've done that, it's no one else's fault if the wrong one is done.

Gotta love the tort system.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Toughest part of the surgery and rehab with sling is going be body hygiene, especially after using the facilities

Get a bidet with the drying option. Two squirts and a blow dry and you are as fresh as a daisy. A few years ago my cousin had shoulder surgery and I shaved him every couple of days. It was a therapeutic experience for both of us.

Get well soon!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wow, truly scary about a mixup like that, Driver.

After that happenned I made an appointment at the Shouldice Clinic in Toronto, that's all they do and they use the latest techniques. People, men and "women" come from all over the world to have their hernia fixed.

Talk about getting shaved! The young lady who came in to shave me in the morning was the same young lady who served us dinner the night before, that was a shock....but, their employees are used very efficiently - double duty.

One other guy there joked that he saw the doctor who performs the operation cooking the chicken the night before. :sick:

• Options
    Get a bidet with the drying option.

I have a friend who was carrying something in both hands in his basement - no lights on.

He tripped on a rolled up carpet. He fell on his elbows and broke both elbows.

His plan was to string toilet paper from one door knob to another and he could just run back and forth across the room.

Maybe that could help!

• Options
    His plan was to string toilet paper from one door knob to another and he could just run back and forth across the room.

Definitely some great ideas. I believe I will just use the left side more than I usually do. Driving will be tougher since the electronic gear selector is on the right side of the steering wheel.

Shaving should not be a problem with the electric shaver. Combing my hair will be a challenge - one thing I have is a thick, full head of hair - it's the rest of me that's deteriorating.

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited May 2013

Here goes. Woo Hoo, my name is back.

• Options

Here goes. Woo Hoo, my name is back.

Now I get it - Mustang, not Cadillac - Mako!!! Glad you got your name back!

I'm just a little slow lately, I guess!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I broke my left hand twice (I'm left handed) and it was 8 weeks each time in a soft cast. It's not easy, but you make it work. The experience pratically made me ambidextrous.

I never had to worry about marking which hand, it was pretty easy to indentify! :P

• Options
    I'm just a little slow lately, I guess!

Being in pain will take a toll. Makes little things much harder.

I tried to convince my doctor my BP was up because my neck was aching.

She gave me Tylenol 3 and it worked. Pain gone, BP back to normal.

Good luck with the surgery. I'm a little jealous of the full head of hair thing.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sounds like someone at our end is on this - we'll get it sorted out... hopefully.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Oh, yay! There you are.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    People, men and "women" come from all over the world to have their hernia fixed.

Driver, I don't get why you put quotes around women. What am I missing?
  • Options
    I'm a little jealous of the full head of hair thing.

Don't be jealous of that. I have to go to the barber ever 3 weeks it grows in so thick and quickly. Even the barber is amazed.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I went in to see the surgeon this morning. He ordered me "morphine sulphate" 30 mg x 60 pills for pain after surgery. Boy, if he is going to order that kind of pain killers, I'm in big trouble. I hate narcotic pain killers - they keep me awake at night (just the opposite of what it does for other people) and it constipates me big time. But he said the pain will be significant for the first 3-4 days due to swelling - have to ice the shoulder continually for the first few days.

I'm getting the jitters about this now - wonder if I can cancel this and think about this - no, that won't work - too much pain now.

I'm in trouble!!!

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.