Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

@abacomike said:
    A few days ago, my son called and told me he wanted to buy a Mercedes E250 Diesel BlueTec

The E250 BlueTech is a nice looking car and according to the reviews it is a genuine luxury car with all the creature comforts at no extra cost. Don't know about the cost advantages but on average diesel yields approximately 30% better MPG.

• Options
    edited February 2014

@mako1a said:
    As always the trade-in would be a wide variable. No trade? Go for it.

Good point, I didn't think of the trade-in equation. It could otherwise turn a good deal sour...and a private sale is out of the question as neither my wife nor I have the stomach for dealing with some of the undesirables that respond to adverts.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098

@bwia said:
    The E250 BlueTech is a nice looking car and according to the reviews it is a genuine luxury car with all the creature comforts at no extra cost. Don't know about the cost advantages but on average diesel yields approximately 30% better MPG.

I read a review of it a few weeks ago and the article was very positive on it. I really like the car. It seems strange to consider a 4-cyl diesel in a car that size but it has great torque and the review said it drove very nicely. Probably a bit out of my price range but a lease deal might make it possible.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

had a pleasant buying (well, leasing) experience today with my son. Went back to the VW dealer (a regular thing at this point) and had a simple, quick, nice time negotiating a lease on a Jetta SE. Very low key and friendly, so no need for a shower when we got home.

pick it up Monday night, so hopefully the back-end of the process is as smooth as the front-end.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

@stickguy said:had a simple, quick, nice time negotiating a lease on a Jetta SE.

>

Oh yeh, first I forgot...Happy Belated Valentines Day everyone (at least I remembered for my wife)

Congratulations on the new car purchase.....hope your son loves his new car.

When we bought the A4 and the Passat about a year plus ago......we had the best sales experiences ever. And, the Audi dealership (in Canada) and the VW dealership in St Petes FL are as nice and friendly as can be. I gave them both glowing reports as they couldn't have been better. Negotiations were friendly and open.....we wanted to buy a car, they wanted to sell a car, and we worked out a satisfactory deal quickly and easily.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

@abacomike said:
    DON'T YOU JUST LOVE LIMMERICKS?

I once new a man from Decatur
    Who loved to cook meals for a caterer
    When delivering meals
    He drove his hot wheels
    Through the aisles of his Bijou theater!

I knew a bright man with illusions
    Who drove nothing but fashionable Fusions
    Until one November
    An FBI member
    Arrested him for fraudulent collusions!

I remember my grandfather Sammy
    Who ran over this guy In Miami
    He hemmed and he hawed
    When arrested for fraud
    For driving his sister-in-law's Camry!

My Dad, who drove nothing but Pontiacs
    Honked horns at those Florida maniacs
    They speeded on highways
    Double-parked and blocked driveways
    And hated insufferable insomniacs!

LAST ONE.....

Remember that man from Orlando
    Who served as a spy and commando
    Til one day at sea
    He was stung by a bee
    And was buried in his old Ford Ranchero!

I hope you all enjoyed these creations with a mention of cars in each.

Don't be sad. I enjoyed them myself. They are very clever. :p

Richard

• Options

@jmonroe said:I suggest that before you go you make sure you are taking along your best pair of long-johns and a good shovel

Don't worry...the snow should be melted by then....this year it is June 20 to 22!

• Options

@abacomike said:
    snakeweasel said:
    "...Burma Shave signs there. But they have since dissappeared."

When I was 12 years old, my Dad drove the whole family to Miami from NYC for a vacation. He had a 1956 white Buick Roadmaster convertible with red leather interior, power windows, power seats, and a Fireball V8 under the hood. A truly beautiful ride.

I remember driving down on US route 301 and US 1 through Lumberton NC and all those beautiful towns and villages down the eastern seaboard. About every 20 miles or so, there were Burma Shave signs, usually 6-8 every 500 feet or so. We used to read the signs out loud by taking turns to pass the time during those long days on the road.

There were no interstates at the time so you were always driving through small towns and villages, many of them with speed traps.

You'd have a stretch of road with a 60 mph speed limit and then, with only a few seconds notice, there was a 30 mph limit. I think Dad got 3 tickets driving through NC, VA, and GA.

I'm glad that you enjoyed driving through Lumberton. It's still a pretty town. I'm on the Revitalization Commission to redo the down town area. We have some pretty exciting plans if we can recruit the right backers for the projects. If you come this way again, I'll treat you to a lovely lunch at our newest down town restaurant....an old warehouse converted into an atmospheric setting serving delicious Southern style dishes.

Richard

• Options

@snakeweasel said:
    How do you guys like your lab's? Someone is asking if we want a lab puppy, I am not to sure about it but the wife is interested.

Snake, take my word for it, you'll love a Lab. They are smart, sweet tempered, beautiful, and make wonderfully loyal friends. We lost our Lab (Sterling) nearly three years ago. During his 14 years with us, he was never a problem. I can remember that it only took one day to potty train him. He loved to ride in cars and, as time went by, seemed to understand the English language better than many humans. Seriously, a Lab would bring you so much joy and happiness. We miss Sterling so much. That's one puppy that I NEVER regretted taking home. Do give the idea your serious consideration.

Richard

• Options

@stickguy said:
    Robr, every time I come home (doesn't matter if I just went out for Milk or to get the mail) mine greets me like the long-lost prodigal son. If a Lab greeting you at the door does not cheer you up, you are hopeless.

AMEN TO THAT! I did forget about the large amount of hair. We found a groomer who was really, really good at desheding Sterling. Each treatment would last about three months. Also, you are correct about them being active. Fortunately, our houses had large back yards for lots of running and playing. Sterling chewed some as a puppy but nothing serious. The walks are important and it was good exercise for us. He loved the beach and playing in the surf. Little children were drawn to him, but he was very gentle with them.

Richard

• Options

@robr2 said:
    We're in the market for what a friend calls "North America Brown Dog" aka Mutt. My kids have been asking for a dog for years and I'm close to breaking down.

You won't regret it and the kids will never forget it.

Richard

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439

Speaking of snow driving in the south, check out what this Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid did. I wonder how the CVT & Hybrid batteries held up to that abuse.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

Hey Richard, Fezo is looking for you. Expect him on your doorstep one day on his way to FLorida.

• Options

@mako1a said:
    What brand computer did you purchase?

HP. Got it used for $699 at my computer guru's shop. It's about 8 months old, has 8.1 Windows and 6 gig ram along with a lot of junk I'll never use> DVD burner, BluRay player and some fancy sound thing. Probably a $1k unit new. The only thing it doesn't have is solid state drive. Richard, SS eliminates the hard disc spinning drive and runs the entire system with a group of memory sticks instead of a hard drive. Still getting used to 8.1, but so far not bad. Or should I say more convenience programs than annoying programs. I'm surprised to see you on here as southerners and snow have a unique relationship. It must have missed Lumberton.

No, it didn't miss us. We had about 8 inches when all was said and done. The next day we had ice all day long. How we kept our power is a mystery to me. We are so grateful. As you can imagine, we had tons of wrecks----37 in just 4 hours! It drove the police and highway patrol crazy. I-95 here was closed for a few hours during the worst of the ice. I went to college in the mountains and learned to respect snow when driving. My flat land friends just don't have a clue. They tried to drive as usual and paid the price. Bless their hearts; they just aren't used to snow and ice. I drove in the snow the first day, but didn't go out when the ice came to town. I will say that it was a beautiful sight----a winter wonderland to be sure. We ate comfort food and sat by the fire. Retirement does have its rewards.

Richard

• Options

@snakeweasel said:
    It's been a cold winter.

The weather has certainly been strange. My nephew skyped me from Dubai during our storm to tell me that they were freezing. It was 50 degrees there. He couldn't believe it. It's very unusual for them.

Richard

• Options

@driver100 said:
    If you like 50s cars this is a link to the biggest 50s (up to 1964) car show in the US...St Paul Minnesota;
    youtube.com/embed/GDEn3i6g3qo
    I spotted some of my favorites, 61 Chev, 57 Plymouth and 57 Ford, an Avanti........

I enjoyed the 50s car show video. I loved the '61 TR4---brought back memories. While most cars were fixed up beautifully, did you notice that some people drove their old rusted cars to the show? Thanks for sharing that with us.

Richard

• Options

@abacomike said:
    SOMETIMES IT PAYS TO KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE!

A few days ago, my son called and told me he wanted to buy a Mercedes E250 Diesel BlueTec. I asked him how much he as willing to put down, and he told me nothing - just wanted to lease one with 15,000 miles a year, 0 out of pocket, etc. He didn't even want to put down the acquisition fee. So I made a call to my dealer here in Florida and they told me they owned a store in Anaheim which is about 60 miles from where my son lives. They had several in stock. I asked the General Manager of my dealership to get my son a great lease deal from his Anaheim store and everything was arranged over the phone between the two dealerships.

I called my son with the numbers and he said those numbers area $200 a month less than the dealer in Palm Springs. He's never bought a new car before, especially a high end model, so I asked him if he needed any help. He said it would be great if I could fly out there to help him negotiate everything for him. So I flew out to John Wayne in Orange County Wednesday, met him, went right to the dealership, finalized the deal, co-signed the lease (which is what he really needed me for) and we drove back to LaQuinta with his new car. Got a chance to meet his new girlfriend, see the grandkids for dinner, and the next morning (yesterday) I flew out of Palm Springs yesterday morning and got home last night.

So, not only was I able to help my son out, but I got a chance to see the grandsons, which was worth the trip. Pretty quick trip - I'm getting too old for this. I was able to post to the forums while I was out there - this technology is awesome.

But I sure slept good last night - too much traveling at my age.

Mike, can you share the lease payment? Just curious.

Richard

• Options

@driver100 said:

That car show would make a nice road trip in June. I think that we should all meet there and enjoy a day or two together. Wouldn't that be fun?

Richard

• Options

@nyccarguy said:
    Speaking of snow driving in the south, check out what this Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid did. I wonder how the CVT & Hybrid batteries held up to that abuse.

Couldn't get that link to connect.

Richard

• Options

@stickguy said:
    Hey Richard, Fezo is looking for you. Expect him on your doorstep one day on his way to FLorida.

Tell him that I'll be here. He can bring Oldfarmer with him. It's just as easy to cook for two than one. :D

Richard

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679

"...which is what he really needed me for..."

Don't they all? Talk about mixed emotions. We hate for our kids to be dependent on us but we'd die if they weren't at least once in a while.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

"...he can bring Oldfarmer with him..."

Do you really want two kids fighting over who gets to drive dad's car?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736

Well, my son has declared that when he turns 16 later this year, the XF is his! He said while on our way to lunch today, "This is luxury!" I think the rotating vents and rising gear shift knob amuse him. He liked the pulsing red starter button, too.

This will be a relief to my wife as prior to the XF, her 535 was to be his. Great, what do I drive???

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155

@driver100 said: If you like 50s cars this is a link to the biggest 50s (up to 1964) car show in the US...St Paul Minnesota; youtube.com/embed/GDEn3i6g3qo

Did anyone see the twins? With the identical clothes and sculptured beards? 4:00.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

@laurasdada said:
    Well, my son has declared that when he turns 16 later this year, the XF is his! He said while on our way to lunch today, "This is luxury!" I think the rotating vents and rising gear shift knob amuse him. He liked the pulsing red starter button, too.

This will be a relief to my wife as prior to the XF, her 535 was to be his. Great, what do I drive???

If he really needs a car, get a well used Contour. Hee Hee.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    If he really needs a car, get a well used Contour. Hee Hee.

I wouldn't mind a low milage Contour although I'd prefer a SVT. Another nothing car that tickles my fancy would be an early 90s Buick Century coupe. Very rare, only about 600 sold in 93.

I found one down near Tampa yesterday with only 49k miles but it was gone today.

• Options
    riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29

@jmonroe said:
    jmonroe

• Options
    riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29

"Back to the 50's" car show is held in June each year in St Paul, MN and accepts cars no newer than 1964. They come from all over the U.S. No kidding, they get 11,000-12,000 cars at the state fairgrounds. No judging. No prizes. Just a bunch of car enthusiasts having fun for a long weekend.

• Options

@sterlingdog said: Sterling seemed to understand the English language better than many humans

Yeh, well look at who he had as a teacher.....Mr English Prof himself. I didn't have that advantage! ;)

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935

@oldfarmer50

Didn't realize they made a Century coupe in 93! Along those lines I'd like to have a LeSabre T-type from the late 80s. Cool cars.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439

@abacomike

Great job throwing the sales story in between a trip out West to see your family!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

@tjc78 said:
    oldfarmer50

Didn't realize they made a Century coupe in 93! Along those lines I'd like to have a LeSabre T-type from the late 80s. Cool cars.

Yeah, last year for the coupe version. Nothing special about it, I just like the style for some reason.

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:

Sorry for having a senior moment. I was saying that I liked the style of the old CENTURY coupes but what I meant was I liked the similar REGAL coupe of the same era.

This is the one that caught my eye to be included on my bargain beater list:
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4329616990.html

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

Here I was posting in the wrong (well, different) topic. I've been a bit out of it socially. There was a huge post that was meant for here but ended up in Chronic Car Buyers...

Richard, I hear I'm welcome to drop by. Due to tightened schedule I may or may not be able to do that, Actually, if dinnertime or so on March 4 would work we could still pull that off. Drop me a line.

Been socially out of the loop for quite a bit. I forgot what a good group I have here. Sorry...

Doing pretty well at the moment.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2014
    @sterlingdog said:
    "Mike, can you share the lease payment? Just curious."

I don't have a copy of the lease, but it came in at $579.00 a month with 15K miles, plus tax. The dealer he originally went to in the desert wanted almost $700 a month. But also remember that was leasing it with his 689 beacon score, which probably added another $40 or more. From what the dealer told me, it was an invoice deal.

Car drives great and I was very surprised at the power out of a 4 cylinder diesel. It's a great road car - we drove back on Interstate 10 doing 75 mph.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

There was an E250 bluetec at the car show in a gorgeous slate/silver/blue color (can't quite remember the name). And impressive MPG ratings. Though the 65K sticker was a bit of an issue.

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286

@mako1a said:
    I still confuse the v guys venture and vertugo and the s guys stick and snake as far as what they drive, etc. Maybe I should just keep notes, but that would be too easy.

Mako,

I live in California now, but lived in PA for a while (University,) and then in CT for 8 years.

Hope that helps you keep me separate from venture.

• Options
    edited February 2014

You come up with some great cars OF. If this one really has 49K miles that would be great. I'm not too sure....aren't the numbers on the odometer supposed to all be even. That 2nd number 1 from the right doesn't look lined up.

Actually, I looked again and it does seem like those numbers could be even. (The 2 numbers to the far right could be off because it is rotating)

• Options
    edited February 2014

@verdugo said:Hope that helps you keep me separate from venture.

Verdugo...you seem to be back after a mysterious disappearance. Just to bring you up to date, since you weren't around for the final posts about comparing cars to watches, I saved this for you, it's from our resident watch expert;

snakeweasel Posts: 11,293
    January 15

@verdugo said: Driver, think of all the money you'll save when you get the "feeling of the road"from a Kia! You'll be able to buy a brand new Rolex for yourself and your wife (and may bone for Fezo too.)

snakeweasel Posts: 11,293 Well with that Rolex he will get the feeling of the minute hand passing over the face of the dial.The differences in technology between a Kia (I really can't believe they named a car after the military acronym for "Killed In Action") and a BMW is far greater than the technological differences between a good $50 watch and a Rolex.

Just didn't want you to miss that a watch, is a watch, is a watch, is a watch...........there is a difference in how cars feel and drive.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

One more proud Dad moment. My son and his 4x800 meter team set a school record, a meet record and qualified for nationals today. They ran the full 3200 meters in 8:05 shattering the meet record by 18 seconds. This is the 2nd event they have qualified for nationals in - the other is the distance medley relay (1200m/400m/800m/1600m).

They have to choose one as they can't compete effectively in both as they are run the same day. I think they are leaning towards the medley - the other three do better in the other events and my son is best in the 800m.

Off to NYC in a month.....

• Options

@robr2 said:
    One more proud Dad moment. My son and his 4x800 meter team set a school record, a meet record and qualified for nationals today.

Congrats to the proud dad and mens sana in corpore sano to your son. Just curious, where was this event held, at the Reggie Athletic Lewis Center in Boston? This building has a nice indoor track and I remember attending a high school meet there years ago.

• Options

@driver100 said:

My first thing to do with a car like that would be to ask for maintenance receipts which could document that milage. You'd want to see several years worth showing gradually increasing miles.

On that picture of the odometer you notice that the tenths number is white. Years ago if you replaced one, the tenths number was always red to show it wasn't original. Of course that doesn't mean a low mile odo wasn't pulled out of a junk yard.

Having said that, I have found that the Tampa area has a ton of very low milage old car because many snow birds like you have condo cars which only get driven a few thousand a year.

How many miles do you drive your VW in a year?

• Options

@robr2 said:
    One more proud Dad moment.

Excellent. You deserve to be proud.

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:Having said that, I have found that the Tampa area has a ton of very low milage old car because many snow birds like you have condo cars which only get driven a few thousand a year.

How many miles do you drive your VW in a year?

The Passat will do about 1500 to 2000 miles a year. This year it could be slightly more because my son and family are staying nearby for 3 weeks and they are using the Passat. You are right though, I see lots of 1980 and 90 cars in beautiful condition here. One of my favorites - and I see a lot of them is about an 89 Caddie Eldorado;

Winter really takes a lot out of a car in the North.....it's almost like a 50s - 60s cruise night here every day....another reason to love Florida!

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

robr2...big UPs regarding your son.

Driver....do you know how much they're asking for that Caddy? Looks like a very nice "luxo-beater"

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@bwia said:
    Just curious, where was this event held, at the Reggie Athletic Lewis Center in Boston?

Yes it was at Reggie. Most of the indoor meets in greater Boston are held there as the Mass State Track Coaches have some sort of association with the Center. Other meets are held at Harvard or BU with the latter track being the fastest in the area.

• Options
    edited February 2014

@graphicguy said:

Driver....do you know how much they're asking for that Caddy? Looks like a very nice "luxo-beater"

Rob, I agree, it looks beautiful- a lot nice than some 2014 models. It appears to be for sale but I don't think that one was actually being shown to be sold. Here's the website I found it:
    cargurus.com/Cars/1989-Cadillac-Eldorado-Pictures-c8561#&pictureId:35906598
    If you just check for an 86 to about 90 Eldarado there should be a ton of them for sale...I see them every day down here. Usually driven by little old ladies...the Eldarado is probably their late husbands. Maybe just follow one around for awhile....wait for an estate sale.

P.S. Great news, congrats on your son's success!

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155

@driver100 said:
    Maybe just follow one around for awhile....wait for an estate sale.

That's cold. :grin

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

@graphicguy said:

Sorry GG, can't get a price, and I have to leave for tennis. Check out this Biarritz model in 1 minute video....just 25K miles from One Owner Car Guy...ha. It's a beauty - probably wants a lot for it though!
    youtube.com/watch?v=ITiRbOGUkio

We have to get oldfarmer to look some up for us.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Driver....no problem. just like perusing the old(er) cars that might qualify as an interesting candidate to do 2nd car duty that isn't your run of the mill 2nd car (i.e. old Corolla, Camry, Civic, etc).

Speaking of "not run of the mill", I had heard of these cars and always wondered "what if"?
    http://youtu.be/b2A5ijU3Ivs

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
This discussion has been closed.