Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• schafferjschafferj Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Bess!
  • s2480s2480 Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered a 2001 F250 xlt cc sb 4x4. Dealer told me I would have to order the deluxe aluminum wheels as the chrome steel wheels were holding up orders. I got the truck for 700 under invoice with a free bedliner. Just wondering how I did price wise.Thanks
  • daveod78daveod78 Member Posts: 1
    I've found a 99 F250 crew TD with 17000 miles. I've seen excellent reports on the 2000/01. Is there any significant difference from 99 to 00 performance wise?
  • superduty01superduty01 Member Posts: 2
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    I read you. Now tell me what it is you were trying to say.... ;-)
  • djbowersdjbowers Member Posts: 2
    Was just wondering what you paid for you truck when ordering? Also, what part of the Country do you live? I want to order a 2001 F-250 super-cab 4X4 XLT, and was wondering what I can offer. Anybody else care to comment (honestly!) what they paid for their truck when it was factory ordered? Thanks
  • lokyloulokylou Member Posts: 2
    hey I paid 32,950.00 for my truck ,250 4x4,LB 4dr.got it 1000.00 over invoice .ordered lariat ,v10 and got the grey leather also .is there a way for me to find out when my truck will be built and shipped to california ,here on the internet .thanks
  • gmac40gmac40 Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered this truck. Want to fill up the wheel wells with a little more tire without making it look like a monster truck. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • biloximikebiloximike Member Posts: 3
    One Year, 13k miles. NO Problems. 00, 250 cc, 3.73 ls, psd, swb, 2wd. Avg 95% in-town driving = 16.93 mpg according to my own spread sheet and 16.5 according to my computer on board. tows my 6300 lb. boat with no problems. Only complaint, if you want to call it a complaint, is that when you exceed 70 mph on the interstate, mpg drops from 24 mpg to 19.5. Other than that, I love it. My wife loves it so much that we turned her exp. in on an Exc but opted for the v-10.
    Any of you that can't make a decision, JUST DO IT!
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
  • billco1billco1 Member Posts: 2
    How does the F250 speed limiter work? Is there a way to change or eliminate it?
  • chadrock1chadrock1 Member Posts: 2
    I am going to be purchasing a F-250 4x4 club cab short bed. I need help deciding between the V10 or diesel. I am not going to be towing anything, but I am going to be lifting it. I would like to know what engine to go with and the gas silage on both if anyone knows??? I hear that the V10 gets horrible silage. Is that true? Any information will help. Thank you
  • lazejlazej Member Posts: 8
    Just traded our 96 F-250 sc 4x4 460 auto for a 2001 F-250 sc 4x4 power stroke 6sp manual. Ordered on Nov 6 and arrived 11 Dec. Got the new powerstroke-275 bhp/520 ftlbs torque! The power is great. 17 mpg and less than 1,000 miles on motor. Heard the V-10 gets about the same mpg as the 460. Guess we lucked out on the factory order time. Never had rotor problems with the 96. Had drum lock up when wet and about 5mph. Anybody using synthetic oil in the 7.3? Any thoughts on putting Banks on the new power stroke?
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    My truck is a year old, and they are a little easier to get now than they were a year ago.
    My dealer agreed to $100 over invoice (as seen on Edmunds) when I ordered the truck. Before I picked the truck up, some type of rebate had kicked in and I ended up getting it for $400 under invoice.. (this was Nov 99).

I've heard of folks lately talking about getting trucks at dealer invoice or just below.

Any dealer can give you a deal of $500 over dealer invoice. They could almost sell every vehicle on the lot at this price and still remain profitable..
  • durtboydurtboy Member Posts: 4
    Chadrock1, I just ordered a truck partially based on all the great info the folks on this chat have provided. Scroll back to number one and start reading. There is also a V10 vs. PSD posting. Both are awesome. Just have to go for it!
    My question is:
    What do you all think about the tires that come standard on the SDs for highway, snow and mud (general use)? I ordered my F250 SD CC SB 4x4 from over here in Yokosuka, Japan for delivery in WA so I have not seen them yet. If the traction isn't that good I will go ahead and order some new ones.
  • mizutigermizutiger Member Posts: 1
    Hey to all Diesel owners....I have a gas mileage question. I put a 3 1/2" lift on my truck and slapped on some 35" tires. It looks great but my mileage sucks. I am only getting about 13 - 13.5 on the computer. Now I add 10% due to the tire size...but this is not nearly what I expected. When I spent $4000 I expected closer to 18 mpg!!! I just had a chip go bad and they put a new one in yesterday...but still no better gas mileage. I cant think that my tires have anything to do with this...oh by the way, I have 17,000 miles on it. Please give me an idea as to what the norm is out there. I have a crew cab, short bed, 4 X 4..with as I said, slight lift and 35" tires. For anyone interested....the lift does not affect the ride. I would say to go with a slightly larger lift in the front if you have the diesel...due to its weight. I think you can put 315's on it to fill up the wheel well...without adding a lift. Most tire dealers should know how large you can go. Thanks in advance for your replies on this matter!
    I just got the build date from my dealer, 01-08. About how long from the build date has every one been receiving their truck? Thanks.
  • chadrock1chadrock1 Member Posts: 2
    I saw in a post in a different section that someone said the 2002 F250 was going to have a different nose on the exterior and a new dash in the interior. Has anyone seen this or have any information?
  • rrswens1rrswens1 Member Posts: 1
    I also got a vin # from my Dealer. I have called Ford Customer Service and got a build date of 01/01/01 to 01/08/01. Dealer said it would be about mid to late Jan for delivery. Found a post on this board to track after its on the rail cars. www.bsnf.com follow the custom tracking tools.
  • skihoserskihoser Member Posts: 12
    Our SD was built on 11/20. I immediately started trying to track it on the BNSF site and using the provided vin #, never found it as having been shipped (The vin # was correct.) On 12/8 the dealer called me and said the truck just arrived. Maybe it came by air express? Anyway, I would plan on delivery about 3 weeks after build date -- at least from KY to NM. Love it so far after adding several personalization items. If I could dig our 5th wheel out of the snow we would go somewhere and drycamp just to use it. Good luck.
    Hey everyone, just got and email from my dealer, "Dear Andy,Hold on to your seat! The Truck will be built next week : )Dan" Sent me the VIN and the stock number...I am so excited. One short deployment over here in Japan and I will be going home in March to pick up my new truck and visit the family...that is if I am not driving around in my new 2001 F250 LARIAT SD 4x4 V10 AUTO CC SB, 3.73ltdslp, leather, and everything else BEAST...loved my '84 F250 4x4...can't wait to be a "have" in the SD club. Take care and thanks again for all the great info...Miles2..I went with the 402040..thanks. Durtboy, LTJG, USNR
  • gvillgvill Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a F250 CC 5.4L 3.73LS-Don't do any heavy towing (a pop up couple times a year and a boat short distances,both under 2000 lbs). Looking for more room for family and customers. Would consider F-150 4 dr. if they hadn't ruined it by cutting the bed so short. I do alot of highway driving, put on about 40,000 mi. per year. I know the diesel would be great for the hwy. but extra cost plus finance costs and maintenance cost is a problem. What could I expect on gas milage with this truck? Someone please help.
    Folks range between 11 and 18mpgs with the 5.4L depending on the exact truck, options, location, and driving style..

My particular truck averages 15.5mpgs in mixed driving. The best average for a tank was 18 which occured 2 times when I traveled at mostly 55mph empty..
    I have 00' F250 xlt 4x2 SC 5.4L 5sp 4.10ls.

Assuming your getting 01' F250 4x4 CC 5.4L auto 3.73, you'll probably get a max of 16mpgs or maybe a 17 on the highway, while averaging in the 12 or 13mpg with mixed driving.
  • mackbi2mackbi2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 2001 F250 Extended cab pickup, V10, 6.8 ltr. 3.73 I will be towing a 25.5 ft. 5th wheel. I would like to know the mileage for city, open road (without trailer), and also mileage towing 7000 lb. 5th wheel. If anyone has any of this info for me I would appreciate! Bert
  • rsabakarsabaka Member Posts: 8
    I ordered my F250 SD,LB,4WD Lariat Diesel 6 spd manual on 10/2 and picked it up 12/16. It's RED w/tan interior. I paid $400 over invoice and LOVE IT! Still getting used to it though; my other truck is a '78 F150...they've certainly come a long way since then.
  • rsabakarsabaka Member Posts: 8
    I just got my diesel w/manual trans (only have 800 miles on it) and the computer's showing 16.8/mpg and that's mixed driving. I'm hoping to see an improvement after the break in period and on mostly highway driving.
  • fbroomfbroom Member Posts: 29
    I have a Y2K F250 SD, ext cab, SB, 3.73 ls, V10, auto, 4X2. I've only used it as a daily commuter so far, so no towing info. I have 6500 miles on the odometer and have averaged 14.5 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving with no load. I'm not a lead foot but I'm not holding up traffic either. I live in Florida, so the terrain is pretty much flat. I love my beast and would buy another if I could.
  • cpaulsen1cpaulsen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 F250 SD,LAB,V-10,5 speed manual,4:30 limited slip,CC,2wd,XLT. With 1,200
    miles combination ranch work and why miles with light loads of up to 4000lb. during break-in getting 13 mpg. I am not a lead foot and shift to keep rams down. It outpulls anything I've ever driven and is faster to speed than the power stroke. I agonized at first about getting the v-10 over the power stroke but most of the farmers and ranchers I know are only getting 1 to 3 miles per gallon more with their new emission controlled diesels. I can't justify the price of a power stroke when diesel is 20 to 30 cents per gallon higher, at least for my use.
  • vitobvitob Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about getting a F-250 CC with a SD.
    Some of my buddies are trying to steer me toward a manual tray, because they think that SD is too tourquey for an automatic.
    Also, how much more is it cost to maintain SD/Gas?
    THAN for any input... Veto
    First the easy question, automatic vs manual tranny..
    Both are very capable tranny's and you should get whatever you have the preference for.. I prefer the extra control, throttle response, and mpg's one gets when driving a manual tranny. The automatic is rated to handle the torque of the PSD. On boards like this you'll find a few more folks who've had problems with the automatic but I think thats basically because more folks have the automatic..

PSD costs vs gasser: depending on how you drive (city/highway, towing vs empty), the break even point is somewhere between 80k and 180k miles. Meaning, the extra cost of the PSD and its maintaince is nullified once you've put enough miles on it..
    Some of the extra costs of PSD I'm referring to:
    - initial $3800 purchase price
    - 15 quarts of oil per change vs 6
    - more expensive oil filter
    - fuel filter 2x a year
    - fuel prices for diesel are higher in some area's.
    Other PSD issues that don't really have a cost:
    - careful checking of antifreeze levels (via teststrips) to avoid cavitation problems
    - smell
    - noise

All of those costs are recovered over time in the better MPG's the PSD gets and in the fact the PSD should go 300k plus miles without major work.

All of Ford's engine choices are great depending on what you want.. You really can't go wrong..
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Member Posts: 90
    You might check out www.ford-diesel.com

Among the unbelievable amoiunt of infor, They have an excell spreadsheet that will compute operating costs and breakeven on the PSD vs gas. You input mileage, fuel/gas costs, maintenance interval and maint. costs - it will output breakeven.

I figure if I pull a 9k lb trailer 10% of the time, and diesel is the same price as gas (in Ca thats true), it costs $15 more for each oil change, I'll breakeven at 51k miles. (This is versus a V10...) Use you own numbers, check it out.

It does NOT take into account Smog inspection costs (and hassle) every two years. Half a day, just pissed away.

And ford-diesel is an absolute must for anyone with a PSD.

Ard

PS. Hey bess, it's true that you don't get extra credit for the smell and noise. If you did, it'd breakeven sooner...
  • bartc1bartc1 Member Posts: 4
    I want to buy a F250 SD 4X4 later in the year and I'm wondering how these heavy trucks actually do off road, say in some deep mud or sand? I still can't decide between the V10 or PSD there seem to be advantages to both. I just test drove both engines yesterday. The V10 is very responsive and quiet. I went to the dealer thinking diesel...now I don't know what I want.HMMM what to do?
    I think folks tend to lean towards the V10 for off roadability.. Iighter engine so you wont sink in the sand so much, very high horsepower, and you can get the 4.30 gears with the V10 which helps if your gonna upsize your tires anyway.

Both engines are great choices.. You can't go wrong.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
  • crazcorkathcrazcorkath Member Posts: 7
    I ordered my pickup 0n 12-6-00 , a 2001 F-250 SC 4x4 PSD 6 speed, and was wondering how long it has taken anybody to get the build date. Originally, they told me that it would take 16 weeks for the truck to arrive.
    It depends on your dealers allotment.. Dealers with good allotments can get them in 8weeks. Dealers with poor allotments get them in 16 or more..

On thing to ask your dealer of is the DORA (dealer order reciept acknowledgement). This is what the factory gives the dealer to acknowledge that the order has been received by FoMoCo.. On this DORA you can find your 'priority' that the dealer has given you.. (lower the number the better).. The best the dealer can do is a priority 10, (lower numbers are reserved for for special circumstances needing regional rep approval).

You can also ask your dealer if the VIN has been assigned yet, or if the build date has been set yet..
  • lokyloulokylou Member Posts: 2
    hey ,I ordered my f259 4x4 cc lbv10 5 days after thanks giving and dealer called it arrived here in Los angeles on Tuesday 1/08/001,,so I guess it took just 6 to 7 weeks
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Member Posts: 90
    Anybody think the aero-style headlight stink?

The lighting pattern is piss-poor (IMHO).

Anybody have any upgrades or fixes? Only fix I've found is to trade out to the XL style headlights/buckets and trim, and upgrade to a CIBIE H4 bulb with perhaps higher wattage.

Anyone running higher watts with the plastic aero's? Any source for upgraded harnesses or lenses?

Thanks

Ard
  • lazejlazej Member Posts: 8
    Just got back from our first trip with the trailer. Got 11 mpg with 3300 miles on the motor. Much better then 7.5 with a 460!. The trailer is 26 ft and 7,500 lbs. Was a eye opener doing the 1st oil change on the PSD. Got an International filter from Bryant Motors in Renton for $13.70 and Delo 400 oil from Costco for $32.99(6 1 gallon jugs). The guy at Bryant recomends fuel filter every other oil change. Will check out his price for that.
    Any gas engine will out accelerate a diesel. So far withg a 7,500 lbs trailer going from the Seattle area to Ocean Shores I was only out of OD about 3 times and never lower than 4th(1:1 drive).
    So far I see no need for a Banks setup but would like an exhaust brake. Any body put an exhaust brake on yet. Having fun with this new truck.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    www.ford-diesel.com.. great site...has info and forums for all PSD's and Super Duty's ..check it out
    crazcorkath, My dealer placed an order with FORD for my 2001 F250 CC V10 4x4 and it was built the first week in January 2001. I am now tracking in on BNSF Railroad home page. It is on its way to Seattle. Dealer expects it the middle of Feb. So, I guess 6-7 weeks is what the dealer is predicting. Take care. durtboy
  • codythedogcodythedog Member Posts: 4
    I took delivery of my 2001 F-250 PSD late in November. Dealer quoted $500.00 over his invoice. He also told me to join the Farm Bureau ($65.00) to get a $500.00 discount.

Anyone ordering a Ford should look into this.
  • drof01drof01 Member Posts: 9
    On September 28, 2000, I ordered a 2001 F250 5.4 SC, 4*4. Although Middleton Motors apparently knew the 5.4 would cause a delay, my sales person did not inform me nor suggest I might want to order the V10 instead.

Has anyone heard the 5.4 is delaying assembly and delivery?

On January 25, 2001, I will be waiting 17 weeks. BNSF.com says that it is in Eola, Illinois, waiting to come to Middleton (Madison) Wisconsin.

Codythedog, is the farm bureau only located in Indiana?. The http://www.farmbureau.com/Incorporated/benefits.htm page only lists a $500 discount for a Dodge.

The issue is likely your dealerships allotments.. Dealers get allotments for trucks. There are several allotment categories, such as engine choice, SRW/DRW, Lariat, etc..
    A dealers allotments change often based on previous sales by that dealer..

We'll look at the engine allotment category for an example, (this is a real world example from a dealer near me, last year).
    They had an allotment of 85% psd, 10% V10, 5% 5.4L. This means that only 5% of their monthly shipment of SuperDuty's could have the 5.4L.

This dealer was allowed to get 12 SuperDuty's a month.. So 5% of 12 is less than 1.. (its .6). Which means it would take this dealer at least 2 months before thier order was even accepted for a 5.4L.
    If others ordered 5.4L's from the dealer before you, you'd have to wait behind them..

Dealers can submit as many orders as they want, and if the factory has the 'extra' capacity then they may get the truck quick, but there's no guarantee.
    The allotment system rewards those dealers who move alot of trucks and plan well. It also allows the factory to properly plan the various production runs..

The fact that your truck is in the rail system is great news, and your wait won't be long now..

It is definately worth the wait, these trucks are awsome..
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    My truck sat in ILL. for 4 weeks waiting to be trucked from Naperville to Port Washington, Wisc.
    I was tracking it all the time, it kept getting shifted from one rail yard to the other finally ending up in Naperville, I called Ford Customer Service Daily 1-800-392-3672. Plus I called the Naperville Rail Head yard at 1-630-778-7600 to check the status of shipping once it got there. On your
    tracking form, it will have the end rail yard listed. When I called the Naperville yard, I had to tell a tall tale that I was a salesman checking on a delivery. Wish you the best of luck, 17 weeks don't seem bad, I waited 6 months.
  • codythedogcodythedog Member Posts: 4
    I signed up at the local county office of the Farm Bureau (Solano County, CA near Sacramento). Check the phone book for an office near you. I too thought the discount was only for Dodge but my dealer took the $500 right off the sales invoice. All I had to show was my member card.

Check with your dealer to make sure they'll do it and they know how to do it. It also takes a few weeks to complete membership so you'll need to do it right away cause it sounds like your truck will be here soon.
    I ordered my truck on 12/14/00. The truck was built on 1/8/01. My dealer said the truck should be in on 1/29 but I can't find it on bnsf.com. Do all the trucks get shipped on the rails or do some get trucked to their destination? Looking forward to taking delivery. Thanks.
    I'm in Raleigh NC.. From KY to here they just put them on truck carriers.
    At least I don't have to worry about rail dust..
  • drof01drof01 Member Posts: 9
    bowhuntwi2

I thought 6 months sounded like a lot of time until I realized that I have already waited almost 4 months, and it's still not here. My BNSF search does say the current and final destinations are both Naperville, IL. So I hope to have it by January 26 or sometime in June at the latest.

codythedog

I'll definitely ask at the dealer about the farm bureau credit. Thanks.
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    To the few that haven't dished out $500 to equip your trucks with new tires and
    replaced your Firestones. Firestone offers a Road Hazard Warranty to those
    that originally buy a set of tires from them or have a new vehicle that originally
    came with Firestones. Last week I damaged a front tire that was covered under
    the road hazard warranty. I went to Firestone to have them check the tire. (Mind
    you at time I didn't have the Warranty). The Firestone man told me I had 3
    options, he could of told me I only had the first two. 1. I could buy a new tire for
    approx. $140.00,2. I could swap it out with my spare and always wonder if the spare will be good if I need to use it. 3. Buy a Road Hazard Warranty for my tires at $12.90 a tire (can buy anytime within 1st yr of ownership of new vehicle). I bought the warranty, he prorated my tire for wear at 4%, the tire cost me $5.16, with the warranty, the tire mounting and taxes, I got out of there for $73.00 , plus I have full road hazard warranty on my tires for the life of the tires. So you might check firestone out if your truck is new or less then a year old.
    The dealer just called and said my truck would arrive between tomorrow and Monday the 29th. I ordered it on 12/14. With the plant being off for two weeks at X-mas I'm figuring it took 5-6 weeks from order to delivery. My dealer has a priority of 10(if that really makes a difference)Can't wait to get it. For all of you who have been waiting 4-6 months, hang in there. I thought that was how long I would be waiting.
This discussion has been closed.