Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

1998 Avalon Possible Alternator problems

Elliot UdellElliot Udell Posts: 79
edited November 2017 in Toyota
I had two experiences where my car would not start and the triple A came and helped but even they had difficulty starting it. My mechanic ruled out battery problems and ruled out starter problems. Could it be the alternator

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,098
    If it started up and continued to run, it's not the alternator. Did your mechanic run a test on the battery? This sounds exactly like a recent issue we had with my daughter's car and the battery was the culprit and I'm leaning towards that

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• One of the other reasons I think it might be the alternator is that for a long time the dashboard lights are dimmer than they use to be
    Then you need to check the voltage coming out of the alternator. You can have it checked at places like Autozone

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Also clean those battery and ground cables!

Also clean those battery and ground cables!

Yes, lot of places where you can have losses

Edmunds Moderator