Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Clutch problem -- 2004 Civic

RelaxBoxRelaxBox Member Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in Honda
Hello! My clutch recently it the dust and I was hoping you could help me diagnose to decide if it's worth towing the ~50 miles to fix it.

A couple days ago my clutch pedal started not returning the the fully "up" position after releasing it -- it would stop about halfway, then sort of snap up.

The next day, it would sort of need a little help to return at all. Also, once while shifting the gears ground a bit, even as the pedal was all the way down.

Today I started the trip home, hoping I could make it -- the car drove totally fine when in gear, just tough to get it into gear in the first place. I was fine once on the highway...until I had to pull off, after which I couldn't even get it into first.

Reading a bit about clutches, it seems it could be any number of things, all with varying prices. The car is probably worth about $1500-$2000 fixed, so I'm trying to decide if I should donate it or fix it and then sell it. Any insight would be great!

-- John

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,751
    Can you shift the transmission with the engine not running? If so this sounds more like a clutch master or slave cylinder issue not letting the clutch release than a clutch problem.
  • Options
    RelaxBoxRelaxBox Member Posts: 2
    I'll try that tomorrow; thanks. Someone else suggested the master cylinder as well so hopefully that's it!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Definitely check the clutch master cylinder for fluid level and the clutch slave cylinder for leakage.