Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle climate control

merv692merv692 Member Posts: 4
I have the 2006 Freestyle Limited AWD. With the auto climate system the a/c light will light above the external temp. This happens when it is cold out as well. If I hit the a/c button it will go out. Why is this on if it is cold outside? What function does it serve when it is on if ac is not needed?
Thanks,
Don.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I recommend asking your question in Ford Freestyle or where other owners are more likely to see it.

tidester, host
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    The A/C comes on (even in heating mode), as long as the outside temperature is above 32F.

You can, of course, elect to turn off the A/C manually after setting the auto-climate mode. You'll have to do this each time you start the car, though.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    The manual recommends keeping the air on to prevent moisture building up in the cabin.
    The AC not only cools the air but also retains a lot of moisture and provides breathing air through the dash vents. The heat comes through the lower pipes.
    The compressor will actually disengage if the CFC temperature reaches a certain low (not sure exactly how low).
    In the beginning it bothered me too, but I noticed the air becomes more breathable (less stuffy) if I let it do it's own thing. You will notice that the dash vents put out a low quantity of cold air.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    The so called upgraded climate control (standard on the limited) is a piece of crap. To me, trying to get the unit to put out what you want is a major safety hazard as your attention is detracted from the road when trying to adjust it. This is the one thing I absolutely hate about the car. Just give me the standard temp/fan/ac controls instead of having to fiddle with inside/outside tempertures, etc to get the unit to put out what you want. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited until one was available with the same options, minus the climate control which is a $650 option. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "If I had to do it over again, I would have waited until one was available with the same options, minus the climate control which is a $650 option. Stupid, stupid, stupid."

The $640 option is the Aux climate control, which is the one used for the rear passengers (my kids love it). Automatic dual-zone climate control on the front panel is standard on the Limited and SEL.

If you don't like it, why not just use the manual controls? Select where you want the air to come out, what fan setting you want, and how hot you want, then let it rip! If you want it to work like a fully manual system, you can set the unit such that the driver's side temperature sets both driver and passenger temp, over-riding the dual climate controls.

I often keep mine in vent (air out of the upper vents) with low fan... but I leave the dual controls on, as my wife likes a hotter vehicle than I do.

You do not have to use the automatic controls. :shades:
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Exactly as STEVEDEBI states:

Both my 2005 Freestyle Limited and other vehicle have auto climate controls. I don't like the auto mode so I use it in the manual sense; I set the temp, fan speed and recirculate/vent as I see fit when running the AC or heat. Works fine for me and I only adjust the temp as conditions warrant. Having the REAR/auxiliary climate controls helps to cool or heat the rear area of the Freestyle much quicker than just the front vents.

Making initial climate control settings before getting underway will certainly allow ones attention to remain on driving in a safe and prudent manner. Temp adjustments while driving can be made with very little distraction while in motion.

Driving comfortably and safely is the only way to travel!

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey - 2005 AWD Limited
  • nibyaknibyak Member Posts: 26
    I only have an SE but it came with dual front and rear control auto climate system. I agree a bit with everyone above. I Love the split zone front controls. I have an 85-mile commute (one way) with my wife and we always used to fight over the temperature setting. We have the rear controls also but I can't comment on how that works. For the most part I leave the rear set to off. I like the auto setting much more now that I'm in air conditioner season than I did in the winter. I always like cool air blowing in my face when I'm driving, even when it's 10 degrees outside. In the winter I use the manual control with the vent/floor setting because if you use auto, it blows the air on my feet. If I set the temp to 60 it blows air right around outside temperature (often a bit too cold). If I set it for 65 it blows screaming hot air at me while it's trying to get the interior temp up to 65 (too hot). There is no setting between 60 and 65 so I usually just go with the freezing cold. Like I said, I like it cool. Now that it's warmer I tend to use the auto setting more because it blows the cool air where I want it (in my face). The car also seems to cool down relatively quickly. I park outside during the day and usually start it with the remote starter (free if you bought the Freestyle it in Jan 06) and the car is usually on its way to being comfortable by the time I have all of my stuff loaded in the back. I do think that the manual control buttons are a bit on the small side and just about down on the floor. In my old Focus and Ranger, the manual knob allows me to set the temp it just right all of the time. I just have to wait for my wife to fall asleep before I can set it cool enough.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The only change on the climate control is that I wish I could have the outside vents open without the fan being on...just to let the outside air drift in without any fan. I wonder why they can't put a speed zero on the fan. When you turn the climate control system to OFF, all of the vents close up.
    Thanks, I do use the manual controls. My primary complaint is getting the unit to put out hot or cold air by setting the temperture. At one setting the unit puts out cold air, but adjust it one degree, it puts out hot air. That is what I was complaining about. The temperature of the output air is dependent on the degree setting and the outside temperature, etc. I would much prefer a manual setting for air output temperature, not a degree setting as this is a car, not a house.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    bobw3 wrote:

"When you turn the climate control system to OFF, all of the vents close up."

When I turn the ACC system off and the vents close up I get an annoying whistle when driving at highway speeds. If the ACC is on and the vents are open there is no such noise. Does anyone else have this problem?

- Chad
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Up until a few years ago my practice was to disconnect the A/C compressor clutch connection during the winter months. That practice started with Ford back in 1968 and then Lexus from 91 to recently.

My 2001 Rx300 has two c-best settings that when set correctly result in the A/C being disabled indefinitely by simply turning it off one time.

Modern day automotive A/C systems can be hazardous, oftentimes resulting in sudden and complete fogging over of the windshield during cold weather operation.
    "Modern day automotive A/C systems can be hazardous, oftentimes resulting in sudden and complete fogging over of the windshield during cold weather operation."

The FS keeps the fan off until the engine warms up, if the system is in AUTO mode.
  • usaccessusaccess Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a ford freestyle limited 2006. I wanted the side airbags, but misunderstood that all limiteds have standard side airbags (2007 onwards)

Is there a way to retrofit my car with side airbags ?

I also wanted the rear seat climate control, dont have it so thinking of getting a 12v fan. Comments ??

regards
  • snowombatsnowombat Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone of you with a 2007 Freestyle Limited have the Satellite Radio hooked? On mine the antenna and wiring is there, but not the radio converter... The other day the dealer gave me a Fusion for a few hours as they were putting the paint protection on my vehicule. Well the basic Fusion had the Satellite radio. I was ticked off and sopke to the dealer. He is trying to get the module so I can get the advertised Sirius Satellite radio. Any one with better luck???
    When I bought my Freestyle, the dealer told me that I could have Sirrus added for the bargain price of $400. Naturally I declined. I might have done it for half that, but I really don't "need" it.
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Check again. The 06 limited has side airbags including curtain back to the third row - no?
    Nope, that is an option, if you check the Ford website. The site is rather confusing, it says "3rd row canopy airbags", but it means canopy airbags for all three rows. It is the same description for the SEL and Limited, so I think it would be the same - an option.
  • fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    The safety & security package became standard in Sept. 06 for 07 model years. 07s built before that got a discount on the sticker for not having them. 06 it was an option on all models, although most Limiteds came with them.
    "The safety & security package became standard in Sept. 06 for 07 model years. 07s built before that got a discount on the sticker for not having them. 06 it was an option on all models, although most Limiteds came with them."

Odd that the Ford website does not agree with this statement - it is show as optional.
  • richfig23richfig23 Member Posts: 15
    Hey Chad: I'm getting that same annoying whistling sound from my A/C system in my 06 Limited Freestyle, although I can't get it to stop by turning the system on/off. I have the dual automatic climate control with rear controls.
    I've tried every combination I could think of to try to get the whistling to stop at highway speed (System On/Off, Recirculation On/Of, Auto On/Of, rear on/off), but it still whistles. I've been meaning to take it to the dealer (I bought it used this past October with 19k) but I haven't had the time to take a day off work. Now I'm thinking it's a cold weather related thing because now that it's warmed up a bit here in NJ, the whistling sound in not nearly as loud as a couple a weeks ago. I'm sure when I finally get around to taking it to the dealer, the whistle will go away completely :confuse: Does your whistle sound only come on when you have the A/C system off? Is this during cold climate?

Rich
  • ragtopmannragtopmann Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks. Looking for some help please. I have a 2005 Freestyle ES with the dual climate control. Problem is the driver side is blowing semi cold and the passenger side is blowing warm. The rear AC is blowing warm too. I have both sides set to 60 degrees and the rear set to coldest possible. Inside air selected. Any ideas? I first thought it may be the blend door actuator not engaging all the way (if it has one). Could it possibly be running out of R134a (or whatever type it requires)? Living in Houston, TX makes this a priority. thanks.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    edited April 2010
    I assume the AC light is on? Just asking because you can set your temp to 60deg without the AC being in the On position (ie green light off). If so, then is sounds like you need your AC recharged.
  • jd1975jd1975 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue. Drivers side is fairly cold and passenger and back vents blowing warmer air. Curious to know what you found out. Thanks.
  • lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    My car was in the bodyshop for a month after my wife hit someone stupid try to cut in front my wife (she's going straight) and make a left turn at the intersection. I just got the car yesterday, and I have exactly the same problem (cold air on driver, but passenger and rear are not). And, also now the driver's side third row window area, there is a high hiss/pitch sound if I turn on the a/c, but if I turn off the a/c but leave the fan on, the sound will gone. :sick:
  • lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    Just got the freestyle from the dealer after the accident. Now two problems from the a/c:
    The driver's side is blowing cold air; but the passenger and rear are blowing semi-cold, or not cold air although I turn all the temp settings to 60F and the rear to the coldest.
    There is a high pitch hiss sound from the driver side's third row panel(is that called the quarter panel, where the fixed windows located, the third row 12v outlet located). If I turn off the a/c but let the fan on, the hiss sound will be gone, but once the a/c on, the sound comes back.
    Any ideas, guys? :confuse:
  • jd1975jd1975 Member Posts: 2
    Was checking today and found oil on the condenser and found the condenser to be leaking. Added freon till we decide what to do with it. Cooling better but the passenger side still not cooling like the driverside. Condenser from Advance quoted is $189.00 . 06 Model only 53,000. Our 01 Taurus a/c worked well the whole time we had it. It had 145,000 when we traded it for the freestyle. If you have any luck let us know. My father in law is going to check with his Ford dealer and see what he can find out Mon. :confuse:
  • dmerwindmerwin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle and there is a loud "clicking" noise that is coming from under the dash on the passenger side. It happens when I turn on or off the A/C. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks.
  • ejnearyejneary Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problems as other Freestyle owners have had. Hot day or around town at stoplights, warm air from vents. Freeway driving, cooler, but not COLD air.

I had it into Ford and they said that the system was working fine........

I did a bunch of research and found some links to the problem on an Air Conditioning site link below:

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=22170

I am placing this info here for those that were like me and trying to find the answer with no help from the Ford dealership. They must have a procedure that does not identify this particular problem but it exists and it seems that LOTS of owners are having it.

The AC compressor is a newer scroll type that uses a control valve located in the rear of the compressor behind a plate with two screws. This valve fails to function properly and most people change the entire compressor and magically, they fix the problem when they could have only replaced the control valve for $30.00 like I did and get the same result!!!

I am not saying that this will work in every instance BUT, with less than 27K miles on my car, the chances of a bad compressor were very low. Also, the system was fully charged as indicated by my gauge and there were no leaks.

Here is a link to the replacement part:

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ShowItem/116597-Scroll%20Compressor%20Control%20V- alve.aspx

This valve is located on the back side of the compressor and can be changed without getting under the car... YOU MUST EVACUATE THE R-134A FIRST!!! If you remove the retaining plate with the system charged, it will blow all of the refrigerant out on you. I simply evacuated the system first and then replaced the valve. The valve comes as the brass piece with its seal. You must remove the retaining plate from the rear of the compressor which is held in with two 10mm bolts. I have included a link to a photo of the plate below. This view is looking down between the radiator and the engine with the hood open.

http://ejneary.home.comcast.net/~ejneary/images/freestyle.jpg

So, here is the procedure:

1. Evacuate refrigerant
    2. Remove two 10mm bolts on rear of compressor
    3. Remove old control valve with spring
    4. Move spring to new control valve
    5. replace spring and control valve in compressor
    6. Replace retaining plate with two bolts
    7. Tighten bolts
    8. re-charge system with refrigerant (Amount needed is listed on the tag that is on the radiator support)
    9. cold air will come out of vents at idle.

I hope that this helps some people. I spent HOURS researching this problem and the Ford tech was not able to find this.
  • sacnscsacnsc Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for this information. I ordered the part from your link, $48 with shipping and handling. My mechanic charged me $20 to put it on. My AC is working like brand new. Again, thank you for taking the time to put all of this information online for others.
  • automotivationautomotivation Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    At about 60,000 miles I replaced my ac compressor because the ac wasn't working properly. Ford did the repair. It has been about a year and a half since then and now the ac has begun working intermittently. A few days ago the AC was simply blowing warm air. I would shut the car off and sometimes the AC would be back on. This happened intermittently for the last 3-4 days. Sometimes the AC would start blowing out cold air after the car ran for 20-30 minutes. I took it to Ford and told them what was happening and they checked the pressure, vacuumed out the system and could not get the problem to happen to them. So when the AC was blowing warm air I stopped into the Ford Service Shop. As it sat running at the shop the AC began blowing cold air. They thought it might be a bad relay, so they switched out the relay with the fog light relay. The AC was working at the time but after I turned the car off, then took the car for another drive, it was not on again. So I believe I've eliminated the relay as the problem. When the AC is not coming on, the compressor is not turning. When the AC is working, the compressor turns and the AC is very cold. I've been trying to find a pattern but none seem to exist. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Does it sound like a pressure control switch, or a loose connection, or something wrong with the electronic climate control in the dash? I've read lots of forums and no one has mentioned this particular problem. Ford is trying to help pinpoint the problem but it seems they are a bit stumped too. Any help is appreciated.
  • degohidegohi Member Posts: 1
    BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! I WILL TRY THIS, THIS WEEKEND WHEN HUBBY GETS BACK IN TOWN.

JUST THROWING IT OUT THERE, DO YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX:

MY TAIL LIGHTS ARE ON ALL THE TIME.
    MY HEADLIGHTS STAY ON ONE SETTING!!!
    THIS IS A KILLER ESPECIALLY DRIVING AT NIGHT.
    HUBBY SWITCHED ME OUT FROM THE JETTA TO THE "MOMMY CAR"
  • ladyonamissionladyonamission Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle and began to have problems with the AC in Aug 2012. Cold on driver's side and warm on passenger side. Had the compressor changed out in Sept 2012 and by December 2012 it had stopped working again. Waiting out the winter, I had it looked at again to replace the compressor (they said at the shop.. must have been a bad compressor), changed the compressor and no change.. then I got on this blog and saw your post. Printed it all out and took it in... amazing $35 dollars later my AC work with the valve change. Now, about 3 weeks ago it has failed again. Being the I apparently am directing the repairs based on knowledgeable people like you vs the mechanics I am going to ... what do you suggest now? I believe they will do the repair what ever I ask.. cause they got a bit nervous last time when they realized they just over charge me for a new compressor in the first place. Thanks