Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nav system

royrailfanroyrailfan Member Posts: 1
edited January 2018 in GMC
Brand new user, if this question has been answered before, please direct me to that answer. Recently took a trip to Seattle from Utah. Nav system routed me through Yakima, but I elected to use a different route. Nav system never 'recalculated' as I expected from using other GPS systems, just kept trying to turn me around an go back to where I deviated. Had to stop, turn Nav off and back on for map to change. Is this normal for this system? (Not OnStar turn by turn) Any help out there?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I suppose it depends on the nav system and how "sensitive" it is to you ignoring directions. Also depends on the road network a bit. My nav usually gives up and recalculates after not too long, but it depends on the alternate route I'm trying to take. There's one trip I take where it tries to get me back to the "right" route for almost 20 miles. It MAY have to do with the number of times it tries to reroute me back on that path, but I can't say that for sure.

That's a long way of saying it's probably normal behavior. Some GPS units like to look for "shortest". My daughter has run into her unit trying to take her straight through DC and Philly rather than going around on the highways. What point on the trip was the unit trying to get you back to?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186

Brand new user, if this question has been answered before, please direct me to that answer. Recently took a trip to Seattle from Utah. Nav system routed me through Yakima, but I elected to use a different route. Nav system never 'recalculated' as I expected from using other GPS systems, just kept trying to turn me around an go back to where I deviated. Had to stop, turn Nav off and back on for map to change. Is this normal for this system? (Not OnStar turn by turn) Any help out there?

How far did you go, before giving up on it, and re-entering?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator