Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Fit New Owner Reports

Comments

• Options
    jbwestjbwest Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the very in-depth comments, waltersbg! Glad to hear you're loving your Fit.
  • Options
    thatsmycallthatsmycall Member Posts: 54
    good write up, thanks! I don't have any problems with seat height either and it is good for my short wife. With adjustable seat height, you don't get relaxed mode.

I lost my Fit, once my wife started using it, says it's perfect for her and how she never realized how badly the oddy fit her. It's a sweetie, ain't it? Enjoy
  • Options
    waltersbgwaltersbg Member Posts: 28
    A couple of things I forgot to mention:

The speedometer: It's really funny that the speedometer goes to 140mph! :) The car literally can't go over 110mph (drag limited). I understand that Honda, in trying to appeal to younger males, can't have a speedometer that only goes to 110mph. However, I wish they had stopped at 120 or something and given more room for the critical portion (0-80mph). As it is, there isn't enough resolution to judge your speed better than within 3mph or so. There are faint marks every 5mph.

The radio display: I had read that the radio display can get hard to see in direct sunlight. When we first got in the car, the sun was in the perfect position to show this problem at its worst. Then, I turned on the headlights (I always drive with the headlights on) and the display became impossible to see. I was really concerned about this until I figured out that I could turn the instrument cluster illumination knob all the way up and the radio display would become visible again with the headlights on. It still can get hard to see in direct sunlight, but at least it was usable again.

Aux audio input: When I was filling out the paperwork in the sales person's office I was reading the manual. In the section on the aux audio input it said "all models except Canadian DX". That got me kind of excited, since I have the base model and knew that I wasn't getting all the fancy audio stuff that's in the sport model. However, the base model really doesn't have the aux input jack. It has an "aux" button on the radio, but it doesn't do anything. I wonder if somebody will eventually figure out a way to add an aux input to the base model (not that I have any real reason to use it).

Mike
  • Options
    ottertracks:

How much did it cost for the remote entry and security system?

Out of curiousity, what was your reason for getting the base model and then adding remote and security rather than just starting with the sport model? Was it that you really only wanted those two options and you could do it cheaper this way? Or was it that you liked the look of the base better? Or both?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    ottertracksottertracks Member Posts: 10
    Waltersbg,
    The wife bought it. (I let her drive it for the first time today- long story)
    I didn't want alloy wheels and the base was the one she wanted, but was wistful about giving up the keyless she had on her trade in, so I spent $205 as a Mother's Day present to her.
    A luggage cover and cruise control may yet happen, although Honda has no inside track on those.
  • Options
    ottertracks:

I went to the Circuit City webpage and I guess you must have gotten the 460HP system (shown as $199.99, installation included). For some reason it says that it's only for cars with fuel injection and automatic transmissions! I think they go carried away with their note that only applies to systems with remote start! :P

I'm curious how these systems which are supposed to work with "all" cars work. I mean do they have instructions on how to tap into every car's factory-installed remote entry and security wiring or do they have some kind of generic way of doing it? I guess I'll go research that with the help of google.

As far as the system you got, I have a few questions:

1) Does it have a loudspeaker for the siren? Does that mount under the hood?

2) Is there some kind of "armed" LED that lights up? If so, where did they put it in the Fit?

3) Do you have options for whether or not you enable the vibration detect?

4) Can you set it up to arm automatically when you lock the car or only when you explicitly arm it?

5) How did you decide which system to get?

6) How long did installation take?

7) Did you watch the installation? Did they treat the car well?

8) Does the installation "look" OK?

9) Are you (or your wife) happy with the results?

Thanks,
    Mike

p.s. I looked at a cargo cover at H and A Accessories ( http://www.handa-accessories.com/fit07.html ). I'm not sure if you can beat the $119 somewhere else. At any rate, the installation instructions show that this is definitely a do-it-yourself job.
  • Options
    moonchildmoonchild Member Posts: 15
    Cargo cover at Bernardi.com was $110.88 plus $11 UPS to VA. They guarantee they are the lowest prices and from everything I've checked/compared them to they are. :)
  • Options
    When I started shopping for a new car a little while ago, my criteria started out as just wanting something not too expensive that had enough room for a reasonable amount of cargo.

As gas prices continued to make news every day, I started to shy away from mid-sized SUV's and gravitated toward smaller cars with high gas mileage ratings.

I was focused on the Scion Xa and Xb, low-end Civics, and the Mazda 3 when I saw an ad in the newspaper for the "New 2007 Honda Fit". Huh?

I started researching the fit and it looked VERY promising. The price seemed a bit daunting until I figured out that adding all the same features to a Scion Xa or Toyota Yaris brought me to within $400 of the fit. At that point, being a Honda fan, I just wanted to see a fit to see if there was any reason NOT to buy one.

Well, I've been driving my new fit for 3 days now. Prior to buying the car, I mentioned to my wife that it'd be neat to have a new car but it wasn't like it was going to be exciting (other than when I got to the gas pump). I picked the base model to be responsible with our money. I said that, sure, the car would look new but it wouldn't be like there'd be any real difference between driving it and any other ordinary car.

WRONG!

I actually took some time during my lunch hour on Friday to go find a curvy road to drive on -- just for fun. Today, while driving home from town, I bombed through the corners on the country road that leads to my house -- the same corners which I've driven a million times and have never ENJOYED.

This car (for me, at least) has turned out to be about much more than good gas mileage and lots of cargo space in a small car. I'm having fun driving again. I'm not going to drag race anybody but I find myself seeking out curvy roads just so I can amaze myself at how the car breezes through them. Our old del Sol VTEC with a 160HP engine and less weight could blow the doors off anything when it came to acceleration and passing ability. In the fit, I don't think I'll ever get thrown back in my seat or will punch it from 55-80 in a matter of seconds, but I sure will have fun when we get to the corners. I can't wait until my 600 mile break-in period is over so I can really push it through the curves!

The car has been so fun, in fact, that I'm wishing it looked more like it handles. I want people to look at me in my car and know that the big smile on my face isn't just because I'm getting 35+ miles per gallon. I didn't want the Sport trim, but at least if I had gotten it the car would have looked a little more like it feels. I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade the wheels to something shiny and cool. I wish pin striping was still in style because that'd be an easy way to add a little flare. I think a number on the side ala Herbie the Love Bug would be a bit much. ;)

I'm half considering putting Mini Cooper-like stripes on it just so people will know where I'm coming from! The mini drivers would laugh -- until I stayed on their tail as we went through the curves. :P

If you want a Lincoln Towncar kind of drive, don't get the fit. If you want a good car from a proven company with great gas mileage, all the safety features, and tons of cargo space that is ALSO fun to drive, then the fit sure seems like a great choice. Just be prepared for people to wonder why you always volunteer to drive and why you always take the curviest way to get there. :)

Mike
  • Options
    ottertracksottertracks Member Posts: 10
    Mike,
    460HP is correct. There is a $5 shop fee.
    1) The whole siren is about the size of your fist. I haven't found it but it sounds like it is under the hood.
    2) They put it in the switch blank to the left of the steering column.
    3) Vibration detect, as installed, is part of the alarm system.
    4) Keyless lock/unlock automatically arms/disarms the alarm system. There is also a way of arming the alarm system while driving that automatically sets the alarm 10 seconds after the ignition is turned off and the last exit door is closed. Stealth arm/disarm is another option.
    5) I wanted keyless and alarm without remote start.
    6) Installation took 3 1/2 hours. Next one will probably take about 2 1/2 as the tech wrote it up for future reference. I took a book to the mall.
    7) Briefly. The tech knew his business but was facing a new model. He did his initial checks for tie-ins and went to work. I came back at 2 3/4 hr. Work was progressing neatly and well so I went to their stereo area and read, out of his way while he buttoned up.
    8) I haven't done a total work check, he could have pulled a fast one deep in the guts of it, but he so obviously was taking pride in it that it seems quite unlikely. The obvious and less-than-obvious look like factory on a good day.
    9) We like it!
    10) I've decided to throw one of the dog blankets from Costco in the back as a cover, if needed, even for the whole luggage area. It can double as a dog carpet if they aren't confined to the far back. $18? :D
    Ken
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Just got back from our weekend trip LA to Vegas and back. We actually drove from Frazier Park to west LA, then to Vegas. On the way back we went from Vegas to USC, then Frazier Park by way of west LA (freeways through downtown looked packed). I only got to drive from SC to Frazier Park - my other half was completely comfortable driving the rest of the time, and turned me down when I offered to drive from Barstow. We did stop at most of our usual spots (we always stop once or twice) to stretch our legs, but wouldn't have had to stop for gas (except that we added extra legs both going and coming). It is far more comfortable than driving a softtop Wrangler. The magic seat came in handy to easily carry 3 people, a walker, 2 suitcases, and misc. other items including 6 collapsed boxes (delivered to USC).

We've driven over 1800 miles in the 10 days we've had our silver Fit Sport. At our last fill up our mileage was 1798.5 miles, we've put 49.23 gallons of gas in, giving us an average of 36.5 mpg. There's been some of everything - stop and go, lots of major elevation gain (we live at about 6,000 feet and work at sea level), slow and go, some city short trips. Our gas mileage went up when I slowed down over the steepest parts of our commute - while the car can maintain 70 mph on the steepest parts of the Grapevine, it does so by downshifting to 3rd and the rpms go up to 5,000 and over. When I slowed down to 60 over the steepest sections, the gas mileage went way up.

So as far as we are concerned, the Fit is everything advertised and more. We couldn't be happier!
  • Options
    fit2007fit2007 Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my Fit on May 11 in Brooklyn and by the evening of May 13 I had arrived in Las Vegas, having put 2600 miles on the car. I just may have the highest mileage civilian Fit in all of the US at the moment.

I stopped by College Hills Honda in Wooster, OH on the way to pick up some discount accessories (wheel locks, fuel lock, cargo cover, floor mats). Friendly folks, I highly recommend them -- they got me my stuff (I pre-ordered/pre-paid, thereby saving sales tax) even though I arrived 45 minutes after closing time on Thursday night.

The Fit cruises nicely at 80mph or even higher on a typical interstate. After putting 1000 miles on the car I wound it up to 110 mph a few times on the Nebraska interstate just to try it out. It's still stable at that speed, but it takes a while to go from 100 to 110...

Mileage on the trip was not great at about 31.5. I attribute that to driving most of the way at 80+ mph. Also, on the mountain interstate west of Denver I did my damnedest to keep the speed up, downshifting like crazy.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car. The first day and a half featured intermittent driving rain, but the car stuck to the road like glue and I never felt afraid, despite maintaining high speeds.

There's a ton of room in this thing. I had a 2004 Honda Civic Si, and this has more (and more useful) carrying capacity than that thing. Obviously the Fit has much less power than the Civic Si. The Fit is great at changing lanes. Several times on the trip I snuck in front of a vehicle that was laboriously overtaking another vehicle, thus saving time.

I would say that this car is the most fun when you're driving it between 40 and 60 mph. That seems to optimally use the powerband and the car feels the most free-wheeling at this speed. Although coming down an mountain interstate at 90 mph was pretty fun too... the car handles very well, very stable and very sticky in all conditions.

It could use a bit more oomph. I'd be interested to see what simple engine mods (like a cold-air intake) would do to the horsepower. And yes, the gas tank isn't really big enough when you're only getting 30 mph because you're driving like a bat out of hell.

I found the seating to be quite comfy. On the second day I sat in the thing for about 17 hours, so if there were any serious issues with cabin comfort I think I'd have uncovered them.
  • Options
    jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    My quest for a Honda Fit ended this Saturday (5/13) when I picked it up at the dealership. It is a blue Sport M/T.
    I officially began looking for a new car only 4 weeks ago because of gas prices. I have a long commute to work every day.
    My other car (2001 Nissan Altima) is paid for, but my monthly gas expense was starting to look more and more like a car payment. I've been happy with the Nissan, but it really wasn't my first choice in vehicles. I bought it in haste after a near-death experience in my rear-wheel drive Toyota Tacoma. (I lost control of the Tacoma on a snowy/icy patch of interstate along with about 15 other cars and a semi. Fortunately, no-one was injured and only 2 of the vehicles had a slight amount of damage.)

This time I decided to make my car purchase after careful research and consideration rather than the way I did it last time.

My criteria began with this list:

fuel economy
    handling/safety
    dependability
    comfort
    stay within a budget of around $16K

My personal experience with vehicles is limited to what I have owned in the past: Nissans (2), Toyota (1), and Hondas (2). I knew that all 3 makes would satisfy my dependability requirement.

I started with Nissan. Since the Altima is not an economy commuter car, the next step down for Nissan is the Sentra. I drove a Sentra at the dealership and I just didn't like it. It didn't get terrific fuel economy (28/35). It felt CHEAP and unrefined. The interior was a little claustrophobic for me. Nissan's car lines are nice in the upper end models (Maxima, Altima, etc.) but their cars all have the same personality and style which is bland. The Sentra was a just a smaller version of that. Nothing really impressed me about it.

Next I looked at Toyota. I test drove a Yaris and looked at a couple of their Scions. I was ready to put down a deposit on the Yaris but the dealer told me that my color selection with the trim level and options (M/T "S" Sport with Power Package) was going to be difficult to find. They would keep scanning the inbound inventory in our region and call me when my request was available. I liked everything about the Yaris except for the instruments/displays and the engine seemed very noisy when accelerating. The mileage was great, the ride was good, and the exterior styling was good. I could get all the features I wanted in this model. Since I might be waiting a few weeks for the Yaris, I decided to look at a few other models.

I really thought the Yaris was going to be my next car, so I was just doing my homework on Hondas as a formality. The Civic has changed a lot since my last 2 (1985 1500S hatchback and a 1991 LX sedan). They are now bigger cars, way more expensive, and don't get the same fuel economy as those earlier models. I played with the trim levels and everything to see if I could make the Civic work, but it was going to be a stretch and I wanted something smaller with all the comfort and convenience feature on the Yaris. Then I heard about the Fit. I configured one to be equipped the same as the Yaris S with Power Package and the price came very close. By the time I added the items to the Yaris that were standard on the Fit Sport (remote entry, foglamps, and side-curtain airbags) the Fit was cheaper! I decided that I should at least look at the Fit. I read that they were in short supply so I figured I could just pick up a brochure. I had also read on this forum
    about the Fit's 'problems' with the lack of seat height adjustment and no dead pedal. I went to the Honda dealer near work on my lunch hour and found that they had just gotten one in (Blue M/T Sport). The saleperson showed me the "magic" seats which were very impressive. I test-drove it for about 10 minutes. The shifter was one of the best 5-speeds I've ever felt. The steering and acceleration were better than the
    Yaris and the engine sound was not objectionable. I'm only 5'7" but the seat and driving position suited me to a tee. The visibility all around was excellent and a little better than the Yaris. I stated my immediate impression of the Fit to the saleman: "This is exactly the car that I've been looking for". I was ready to buy the Fit right then, but I found out that the dealer had added over $1200 in "junk" to boost the price.
    I asked if they could remove the items I didn't want and he said no. I thanked him for his time and walked out. That weekend I put in an email request for a Fit quote through Honda's website. By Monday a local dealer was already on it and called me to confirm my color and option choices. They gave me a firm quote in writing. On Friday they called and said that my car had come in and that I could pick it up Saturday morning. Less than a week for my request to be filled is really remarkable compared to what I've read and heard. I did have to pay $298 over MSRP because it already had pinstripes and "paint sealant" charged on this particular vehicle. I guess that's the premium for the demand. So $16,117 before tax, lic, etc. including add-ons: pinstripes, mats, paint sealant, and 1st oil change.

I really like this Fit. I reminds me so much of the 1985 Civic 1500S: 1.5 5 speed M/T, miniwagon hatchback body-style. Both fun to drive. This is much nicer with 20 years of additional technology (VTECH, antilock brakes, airbags, "magic" seats) and lots of additional features - power everything, foglamps, A/C standard, leather wheel, alarm, anti-theft, modern instruments.

If the Yaris had been readily available I would have ended up with that car. I would have liked it too, except for the weird-looking center dash instrument cluster. That is Toyota's biggest mistake. The Honda Fit is the perfect car for me. It has been a joy to drive these last 3 days.
  • Options
    jbwestjbwest Member Posts: 16
    Excellent writeup, jrlnc, and congrats on your new Fit! :)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I had one of those 1985 Civic 1500 S models (grey/silver two-tone) and really loved it; the Fit does remind me too of a 5-door version of that car, but more equipment and more refined as you noted. Even back then, though, the Civic had a kind of "magic" seat: the rear seat not only folded 50/50, but it adjusted fore and aft--a rarity in those days. Also that Civic cost about half as much as the Fit does today. :)
  • Options
    jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    Yes, the 1985 Civic 1500S was a bold product for Honda at the time. I forgot about the 2-tone paint job. I had the "Victoria Red" and silver model. I loved that car. For the technology that was available at the time, I feel that Honda was truly giving its customers something to enjoy and be proud of. The rear seat was one of the selling features. It made the car extremely flexible -- for transporting passengers or hauling cargo. I also really liked the 2-tier dashboard design with the digital clock over on the right-hand side of the dash. That style would still outclass most cars today.
    I have to admit that that particular car was the most "fun" of any car I have ever owned. It was an extremely willing engine even though it was only 86 horsepower. It had a 2 barrel carburetor. Todays's Fit is 109 hp due to VTEC technology. It's funny, but this car makes me feel young again -- probably due to memories of that 85 Civic. Yes, I remember the price I paid for this car. Probably overpaid, because I had bad credit and all that -- $8,500. That is about half of what I paid just now for the Fit, but with inflation, the additional features and technology I think it's worth it.
  • Options
    ripwilsonripwilson Member Posts: 13
    One of the selections on the outer circumference of push buttons around the volume knob is "aux." Plug the Ipod into the audio jack (Sport model only), and manipulate the iPod while in aux mode.

Hope this helps,
    Rip
  • Options
    Today at work, loaded with cold medicine and wiped out, I found myself needing to take a bit of a rest. I walked out to my car and got in the driver's seat like I normally would do in this situation, turned on the radio and prepared to sit there and "rest".

Then I remembered that my fit has "refresh mode". I pretty much had considered it a cute gimmick, but decided that now was the time to give it a try.

I put the passenger seat into refresh mode and climbed in. Initially, I sat up with the back of the back seat reclined the little bit that it reclines. As I got more comfortable and more relaxed, I decided to try lying down. This didn't seem like it would work, since the refresh mode "bed" has several ups and downs in it. But, after putting my coat under my head as a pillow, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself almost falling asleep. Yes, it was quite a bit short to be a comfortable bed and, yes, the ups and downs had to be adjusted to just right, but it really did work.

I'm still not what you would call "refreshed", but that's got more to do with my cold and the cold medicine than it does with the refresh mode of the fit. :)

Mike
  • Options
    tonkstonks Member Posts: 12
    I just passed the 700-mile mark on my new Storm Silver Sport MT Fit, which had 23 miles on it when I drove it off the lot three weeks ago.

I used to dread being the carpool driver, preferring to nap on the way to work. Now I lament every missed opportunity to drive the Fit.

Last weekend I took the Fit through its paces as the official bridesmaids' vehicle for my friend's wedding.

First task? Pick up the gown. A disbelieving store manager gasped when I opened the hatch to reveal "long" mode. Eight-foot garment bag? No problem.

Second task? Pick up the bride and whisk her off to her nail appointment. Matron-of-honor meets us at nail salon. The Fit easily swallowed the honeymoon luggage, matron-of-honor luggage, assorted gifts, a twelve-foot veil, two bridesmaids' dresses on hangers, a box of service bulletins and a shopping bag full of champagne, candles and the like. Oh, yeah, and there was still room for all of us, and a fourth wedding participant whom we picked up downtown. Had we more time to think about the positioning of each item, I'm sure we could have fit even more.

Third task? Rehearsal dinner. No sweat here, except the restaurant valet driver who most certainly did not adhere to break-in period driving practices.

Speaking of valets, the next morning while leaving the hotel where the bride and bridesmaids had spent the night, all three hotel valets were standing at a distance admiring the Fit and murmuring their approval.

The bride, ever the pop culture maven, took every opportunity to say "the Fit is go!" when something fit in the Fit. At first, I thought Honda's name for its new little car was ridiculous. Now I know better: it fits in tiny parking spaces, and it holds a ton of stuff.

Having secured a plum parking spot in front of the church, I was only mildly surprised when two friends asked to go for a drive in the new car during the reception. So we sneaked out and went for a spin. (Shhhh. Don't tell the happy couple.)

The Fit is the perfect car for me. At 5'5" with short legs, I find the seating perfect. I enjoy the height of the car, which seems to help it hold its own among SUVs and minivans. It's getting good mileage so far (32.7 mpg mostly city). It held me and four of my coworkers and still had some oooommph left over for merging and passing (and that was after the two-servings-each-and-dessert Indian lunch buffet). The small length and width make urban parking bearable.

I have few complaints so far. I was spoiled by the integrated storage in my last car (1993 Honda Civic del sol), so I do miss having a compartment for everything. Stuff in the cargo area has a tendency to roll (extra windshield fluid, champagne). I'd prefer a gas tank that locks. The over-the-left-shoulder visibility is non-existent. Other than that, I can't think of much else I'd change.
  • Options
    Somebody needs to send you post, Tonks, to Honda. It would make a great commercial!

Mike
  • Options
    goboilers1goboilers1 Member Posts: 2
    After much researching and test driving of different cars, my girlfriend decided the Honda Fit was best for her. I helped my her locate a Fit yesterday, and she's very happy and excited about her purchase. She wanted the Sport trim with AT in either the silver or blue color. We live in the Triangle area of NC (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) and had no luck finding one - waiting times ranged from 3-8 weeks for the next available. So, I called just about every Honda dealer in NC. Half of those did not have any Fits available, and the ones that did had the Base trim and/or MT. One had a Sport MT and was asking $17,500! Thankfully, I found one in Greenville, NC (about 1.5 hrs away) that was a Blue Fit Sport with AT. The initial price they gave me when I called was $16,908. I countered with the dealer invoice price of $15,970. They wouldn't bite and mentioned the high demand for the car. I gave them a final offer of $16,520 (MSRP) which they accepted. We drove down there to pick it up and she ended up paying $17,353 after taxes, tags, and doc fees. Floor mats were not included nor available at the dealer. Customer service at the Greenville Honda dealership was superb! She's very satisfied with the car. Our only concern thus far is the low ground clearance. She's already scraped the front end underbody while leaving a gas station's driveway, but now realizes she'll have to be more careful and mindful (her previous car was a Chevy Blazer). We're looking forward to our 1500-mile roundtrip to Indiana for Memorial Weekend in this fuel-efficient car.
  • Options
    ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    Now! I love this car. I can see why some Fit owners have the concerns they do, but I have no concerns. What can I say that is original? Well, not too much. The 60 lb dog fits beautifully in the hatch. The stereo sounds great, but this comes from someone who always thought a car with a working radio was a bonus. The wheel covers look fine, I like the two layer design, and I don't miss the arm rest. Sailing around corners with that much stability is so darn much fun....and I have better visibility than I did in the Toyota. The only good thing about my husband working out of town is that I have had the Fit all to myself since the buy date. Anyhow, my blue auto Fit LX is enough for me. :):D
  • Options
    steveskyrmsteveskyrm Member Posts: 7
    Honda also sells a Music Link, just for iPod connectivity:

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/audio_accessories.asp?ModelName=Fit&PHOTO=0
  • Options
    johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    "The wheel covers look fine"

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Not to be rude, but... dear god no.
  • Options
    jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Also note that anyone that actually owns Musiclink is PANNING it online right now - lots of software problems. :mad: You're better off just to use the Aux input. ;)
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    I have owned my Fit Sport MT since Saturday. Here are my initial impressions. Extremely good handling. You move the wheel, your there immediately, no hesitation. Very good turning radius. This is an IDEAL City car. Build quality seems number 1. Lots of head room. I sit tall in the seat (5' 10"). I have the all weather floor mats installed, which I would recommend to anyone who buys this car. Brakes are very good. Acceleration is good. I have the MT which is extremely smooth shifting. I have no problems keeping up with traffic, merging, lane changing, etc. The following are several points which people should consider before purchasing this vehicle. Remember, this is not a Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, etc. It is a small car, that handles great and gets good gas mileage. If you want extreme comfort, isolation from road noise, etc. Don't buy this car. Buy an Accord, Buick, whatever. If you like having fun driving, like great handling, then this car is for you. The black seats do attract alot of dust. My solution. Masking tape, its gone. It is quite bumpy on side streets due to the small wheel base. I can live with it, as I expected it. I took it on the freeway today. Doing 70MPH at 3400 RPM. It is loud. You can hear the engine, but it is not annoying. This car makes you feel like you are part of it, it instantly goes where you want it to go. So if you are used to a big car, you make find it unsettling. I like it. If you store things in the back hatch area, be aware they will slide and bang into the seats and sides of the car. I suggest using towels to eliminate the sliding. That is my initial impression of the Fit. Overall I am very satisfied. I will make another report after about 1000 miles.
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Maybe I am just used to cars with louder engines, but I don't even find it particularly loud at 80, and definitely not 70. You can hear it, but the sound is really toned down quite a bit.

I have a Fit (base) 5-speed MT since April 18.

I have found acceleration, particularly higher end (4000+ rpm) to be excellent with over 1000 miles now on the car.
  • Options
    munchie1munchie1 Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I picked up our storm silver A/T Sport april 12.
    I did a lot of research On this car. I looked at the HHR, scion. avero, caliber, mazda 3-5 door even a used Prius. We test drove them all. We wanted a good en expensive car with good gas mileage and good space. I narrowed it down to the Fit and the HHR. The HHR has good space so so gas mileage. But to get all the stuff the Fit has. It would cost between $4000 & $6000 dollars moore. We Already have 3 other cars I have 2005 Astro Van I use for my bussiness which gets 15 mpg. Ouch. The
    Fit is a great little car. We call it the scooter. My wife drives it to work. We use it for all our erands,We take our 110lb Golden retrever To the dog park. It meets all our needs. I was able to find a console armrest. $79.00 deliverd From Sinapore. A fit emblem to dress up the dash bord on the passenger side. A chome fit rear bumper applique. Rear cargo liner, Mats, exhust tip.I paid sticker price For the Fit. I live in Florida So I had to get the windows tinted. The car rides very well. Brakes are great. It is amasing that a car with 109 HP could drive so well.
  • Options
    johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    Hey munchie, where'd you get the armrest and dashboard Fit emblem from?

I'd really want those items if and when I get my Fit. :)
  • Options
    Also, where did you get the chrome rear bumper applique?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    Since when was a dissenting opinion rude? I can see why people would not like the wheel covers. I just see them in terms of hot wheels style, so I call them cute. I don't go much for really "muscular" covers. The whole Fit package seems in sync. to me. Now here is where I expect to get shot down. I wish this car had manual crank windows. How many draws on the battery do I want? I definitely would trade off power windows for better carpets, but then, I love the power door locks. You can sure tell I haven't seen too much deprivation in life. We are lucky in North America.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You hit it on the nose! The wheel covers do look like the Hot Wheels wheels. But those I recall were chrome and black, at least when I "drove" them--back when the first Hot Wheels debuted. So the Hot Wheels wheels looked like mag wheels to me. The Fit's covers look like, well, painted plastic. But no big deal, they are easy to replace for those who don't like them.

I am getting soft as I get older and would not put up with crank windows on a 4-door car now. On a 2-door, sure. But I really like being able to lower the rear windows from the driver's seat for ventillation without stopping the car and getting out of it. But then, I have also become addicted to remote locking, and I lived without that for most of my life. The more we have, the more we want.
  • Options
    Too true, no dissension here. I am sure I will get used to the windows, just as I got used to CD PLAYER! If only our son liked the same music as the driver and co pilot. Green Day and Stan Rogers jostle for air play through the 4 speakers. Sorry, no rap here. Remember the demographic posts?
  • Options
    Hi. I got the console armrest from www.maxdax.com
    the fit emblem www.collegehillshonda.com. If you need more info let me know.
  • Options
    Hi I got the rear bumper applique from ebay item# 8066981702.
    Buy it now price is $9.99 Plus shipping. The place is in hong kong. received it within a week. It is brushed allu With chrome fit letters It looks like it came on the car.
  • Options
    scarmisscarmis Member Posts: 6
    the arm rest/console looks like it's well made - do you have any gripes or other problems with your buying experience or the quality of the item? I'd appreciate your feedback, and thanks for sharing your info.
  • Options
    Hi, it is excellent quality, fits like it is made for the car and it installs very easy. The company shipped it within a week. No gripes.
  • Options
    canuck48canuck48 Member Posts: 3
    Hello: Can you post pictures of the rear bumper applique installed on your Fit ? Thanks.
  • Options
    dotseuratdotseurat Member Posts: 14
    So glad I saw your post! The whole ipod music link thing is what was making me go with the sport (although I'd rather save the $$ with a base model). But if I do get the sport...the aux import that comes with the model works to hook up an ipod, right? I refuse to use those awful iTrips.

I have looked online to see if anyone sells a direct link. I saw one at mp3mycar.com or something like that. Not sure it's legit. Anyone know?

I'm really stuck between a sport and just a regular fit. I really want to get a good price...but it seems that the sport is worth the extra bucks (it has a sportier look and the keyless entry is something I would hate to give up!).
  • Options
    jethadenjethaden Member Posts: 36
    The sport AUX input works just fine with the IPOD head phone jack. Just need 3.5mm male-male cable, about 2 feet. The volume is a bit low relative to the radio (be careful switching from ipod to radio due to volume). My IPOD is generation 2.

Best reason for the sport is the cruise control.
  • Options
    coloradocraigcoloradocraig Member Posts: 14
    Picked up the car a week ago. I Love it! Only 150 miles due to other obligations, but so far, so good. Had been reading the forums, so no major surprises either good or bad. But did find two very positive things that I hadn't expected:
    1) Even though there is no actual dead pedal, there is a protrusion in the driver's wheel well that my left foot naturally found and is quite comfortable.

2) I love the visibility, especially the windshield. Wide screen and tall view of the world. I call it the "IMAX windshield". Much better than a sunroof in my opinion
  • Options
    els2023els2023 Member Posts: 29
    Dear My Fit Family,

I spoke to Honda. They are willing to do something for us 2007 Honda Fit buyers who supported their product in the begining with regard to offering a DEAD PEDAL and a headlight upgrade but ONLY if WE ALL write letters to them about it. This is very important, as no dead pedal will cause lower back problems in drivers who drive more than 45min at a time. They were quite nice, but very clear that us owners have to write to them about these two things:

By Fax
    (310) 783-3023 (24 Hours)

By Mail
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Honda Automobile Customer Service
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
  • Options
    fittasticfittastic Member Posts: 18
    ...with my new Fit. It's the 'boring' base model (manual) in 'boring' white (wanted black) with beige interior, but I honestly could not be happier! I got the car for $200 under MSRP from calling every single Honda dealer within a 100 mile radius and asking for their best "out the door" price.

I'm not a big fan of the toy-looking wheels on the base model, but I can deal with it -- and for some reason, I don't find them as annoying with the white as with the other colors. Score one for white, eh?

I don't find a problem with not having a dead pedal because my foot rests nicely, as someone else pointed out, on the wheel hump.

My only real "complaint" is that the gas tank doesn't lock, but I can deal with that, too.

I got the car this past Thursday with 95 miles on it (transfer) and now have 510 miles on it, and after about 355 miles, I had to fill 'er up with a whopping 9.2 gallons. What's that like, 38 mpg? LOVE IT!

It may be a base model but it's got power windows and locks, a CD player, A/C and it kicks major butt. I honestly couldn't be happier and can't stop talking about my new little Fit. I think the thing that made me fall madly in love with the car, was when I basically did a U-turn into a parking spot -- no putting the car in reverse and pulling forward, reversing to move the car or anything.

All I can say is...The FIT IS GO!
  • Options
    getnfittywiditgetnfittywidit Member Posts: 50
    Can the console armrest work with the A/T Base Modle? The parking break is there, in between the seats. Can't figure how that darn deal would fit on. :confuse:

I got my Storm Silver Base Model with A/T on Friday. I have just under 200 miles and proceeded to get a speeding ticket the first day driving it. How's that for proof that it moves along okay? (I was going 40 in a 25...who knew???) This is a fun little car, but takes some getting used to regarding the smoothness of ride. Even my daughter mention feeling the bumps! You see, we HAD a 13 yr. old '95 Accord Wagon...the BEST car I've ever owned. My objective in buying the Fit was downsizing and seeing some fuel economy. And I sure have done that.

I've already noticed the needed headlight adjustment and I'm thinking I can't live without the keyless entry as I originally thought. The Accord Wagon allowed me to pop all four doors plus the hatchback with the key from any lock including the hatchback. With the Fit, I have to use the driver side door only to unlock the whole car. Not convenient with kids, when I'm carrying groceries and the like. Black interior was probably not such a good idea. The lint already! I have a lint roller in the car now.

But otherwise...I'm pretty happy with my $15,200 purchase. I paid sticker, plus taxes and fees...there weren't many in VA so not much haggling has been going on. I was able to pre-order mine, luckily. It took less than two weeks to get it. I'm sure I'm gonna continue to be happy with it and I'm pretty pleased I'm one of the first owners in town! :shades:
  • Options
    thanks for checking into this. I will surely write about the headlight issue. How do they suggest upgrading? What will they offer to fix the issue? I higher bulb. I thought an adjustment to raise them was all that was necessary.

I have no quibble with the dead pedal. I don't notice it. I'm only 5'3" and just rest my foot there on the wheel well thingy. I feel my back is MUCH better supported in this car than my Accord. I DO have a problem with not being able to unlock the whole car from the hatchback tho'. Never realized how much I needed that.
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I hate to say it, but my back kinda hurts in this car. I have the seat back in the most upright position. This is because when I adjust the seat for good leg length to the pedals, the steering wheel is too far away, and if I adjust for arm length, the pedal are too close and my knees are significatnly bent. So I can't recline the seat back very much because it would pull my arms further away from the wheel.

You don't notice it during test drives, but on the hour long commute, I'm getting a little sore. Either a telescoping wheel or a small seat lift under the thighs would help me.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about a seat lift too. With my short stature...even with the should seat belt strap adjuster...the darn thing is dragging across my neck slightly. This is very annoying to me and causes me to not what to wear my belt! (I know...a no-no).

Seat adjustment would help my arm fatigue due to having to put the steering wheel in the HIGH position in order to see the instrument panel. At the LOW adjustment it's too close to my thighs and feels like a tight fit(no pun intended) plus blocks the gauges slightly.

Of course, these are just piddly complaints. I know I'm stepping down from the comfort of the Accord. And it's a trade off for economy.
  • Options
    carnutzcarnutz Member Posts: 4
    What is the weight capacity for the fit and the fit sport. This information is usually on a sticker on one of the doors (inside) thanks you :)
  • Options
    You know if you hit the unlock butoon 2 times it unlocks all 4 doors and trunk.
  • Options
    850 lbs., it's in owners manual
  • Options
    carnutzcarnutz Member Posts: 4
    thank you very much :)
This discussion has been closed.