Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Extended repair contract worth it?

jayframjayfram Posts: 4
edited February 2018 in Audi
I purchased a 2015 certified used A3 and passed on the extended service contract at the dealer, but I was called and offered the highest level contract for $150 a month. It would be good for five years. The car has about 23,000 miles on it right now. I am planning on keeping it for at least five years (I drove my last car 9 years). The total cost for the contract would be $3,737. I can easily save up $5,000 for the outer years of that contract myself, assuming no major repairs in the first couple of years. So I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I know repairs can be expensive, but I have no idea what to expect. Appreciate any thoughts.
Tagged:

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 130,941
    jayfram said:

I purchased a 2015 certified used A3 and passed on the extended service contract at the dealer, but I was called and offered the highest level contract for $150 a month. It would be good for five years. The car has about 23,000 miles on it right now. I am planning on keeping it for at least five years (I drove my last car 9 years). The total cost for the contract would be $3,737. I can easily save up $5,000 for the outer years of that contract myself, assuming no major repairs in the first couple of years. So I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I know repairs can be expensive, but I have no idea what to expect. Appreciate any thoughts.

A lot of it depends on your circumstances. But, doesn't a certified Audi already come with an extended warranty? Is the dealer's offer an Audi backed warranty, or third party contract?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• The certified used warranty only applies to the power train.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 130,941
    jayfram said:

The certified used warranty only applies to the power train.

I sure wouldn't pay $3800. If the car starts to become problematic, just ditch it for a different one.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator