Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

engine failure

diaappointeddiaappointed Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in Dodge
purchased a 2004 Durango new, currently 98,000 miles, performed good maintenance, loved the vehicle; December 2017 started it and immediately had a knocking sound. I took to 3 mechanics, received same analysis - bent connecting rod. Estimate to replace engine $7000. research on-line - numerous failures of this type cause valve seat drops out and into cylinder or build up of fuel in cylinder and upon startup over stresses connecting rod. very disappointed, from forum I'm not alone. My loyalty to dodge is now zero. any hope of a recall or compensation for their poor design and our loss?

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Given that it's a 14 year old vehicle, recall/compensation seems unlikely. Not saying it couldn't happen, but are you going to replace the engine and hope they come through? Or is that $7,000 better spent on whatever you replace the Durango with?

End of vehicle life issues are always sort of tricky to sort out. Do you get nickle and dimed to death as things deteriorate? Does a big issue like this make the decision for you?

Keep us posted on how things progress
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If a valve seat dropped, that could cause a bent rod and knocking sound but any kind of kydro-lock (coolant leaking into cylinder) would cause an instant seized engine, so I don't think that was the cause. I suppose excessive fuel dilution could cause an engine seizure, but I don't see how it could cause a bent rod.

Did anyone take the cylinder head off to confirm? Otherwise, it's all just speculation as to what occurred.

It doesn't sound like the vehicle is worth repairing, and at 14 years, there's little hope of factory compensation--so I'd say you just have to write it off and move on.

Just bad luck and old age, would be my opinion.

The only other thing I could suggest which might make sense is a good used engine. If the vehicle is in good shape, this might make financial sense. But putting $7,000 or more into a $4,000--$5,000 vehicle would be a tough decision to make.