Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

V6 or small V8 engine, 2000 Silverado1500,2WD Reg Cab, SB

13»

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you're looking for sound, try flowmaster 40 series or borla....forget Gibson as it's too quiet. The design of a catback is exactly that. Free exhaust after the catalytic converter will not affect either 02 sensor. the manufacturers have designed these systems so well that it is only a twenty minute install as a direct replacement for the stock exhaust system...
  • fortopfortop Member Posts: 239
    good choice on the extended cab because I believe it weighs more than the regular cab. However, I think that you will give up some gas mileage as compared to a 3.42. One thing that helped my "get up and go" without a bigger gear was the Edelbrock IAS/velvet ride combo - seems to improve traction from a dead stop and in the turns. When I first got them installed, I accidentally burnt rubber a few times from a dead stop until I got a lighter foot on the gas pedal. Still, it is not a racer - just a commuter. IMO
  • jayman3jayman3 Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions? When engine at driving temp truck "searches" for idle speed when clutch is in at lights/stop signs. Rpms swing as low as 300 causing the A/C compressor to disengage. Very annoying when outside temp is 115-120 degrees. A/C vent temp shoots up 20 degrees and takes time to recover after A/C starts again. Twice to dealer for a total of 8 hours to be told there is nothing wrong. Any comments/help appreciated.
  • k0hbk0hb Member Posts: 89
    Bad idea, *REALLY* bad idea!

The 4.3L is just adequate in the S10. It will be an absolute pig in a full size (extended cab!) truck. Poor performance, poor mileage, and will be sucking wind at every little hill or when the A/C cuts in.
  • richardh45richardh45 Member Posts: 10
    Don't end up saying that! Get the V-8!

Sounds better, smoother, no acceleration robbing counterbalancer. From a 4.3 to a 4.8, only .5 liter.

If you never go over 45, have a high ratio rear end; the 4.3 MIGHT work.
    towing, a V6 is not the best choice. If you need a truck for occasional light hauling/towing - a V6 is ideal. I have not seen any posts here about pinging or weird engine noises on 4.3s, but check the 5.3/4.8 posts. I have no trouble with acceleration with the A/C on or at any other time. My V6 mileage is much better than others post with V8s - but I drive carefully.
    I have nothing against the V8s, I have a 5.3 Yukon on order. I just don't think everyone needs the power of a V8. Anyone considering a V6 should drive one, then drive a V8. That is the only way to compare the two that makes sense to me. I would trust an extensive comparison test drive over anybody's opinion, including my own. IMO
    motor than the vibrating 4.3l which was a chopped 5.7. They tend to vibrate and need that counterbalancer and even then it's not the smoothest running engine...
  • k0hbk0hb Member Posts: 89
    4.8L minimum, 5.3L preferably.

The V6 is an OK engine in a toy truck like an S10, but woefully inadequate in a full-size truck.

Performance will suck, towing will suck, gas mileage will suck, trade-in will suck, and it will wear out long before it's time.

Hans
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    The V-6 is the way to go for most people. I would bet that guys are buying the V-8 to say theirs is bigger. Most of these trucks never do any "real" work- that is left up to the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. People try to justify the V-8 by for towing. That maybe OK if you plan on towing with the truck everyday. The V-6 is rated for around 5000 lbs. with 3.73 rear. The V-6 tows this with easy. The key for towing is torque. The V-6 (260 ft/lbs @ 2800 RPMs) has nearly as much torque as the 4.8 V-8 (285 ft/lbs @ 4000 RPMs) at much lower RPMs. The max horsepower is also developed 800 RPMs lower in the V-6. The V-6 has cast iron block and heads. The V-8 has aluminum heads. GM has never had much luck with aluminum. They both have roller valve lifters. The V-6 has less pollution (no electric air pump needed) and much less complicated ignition system. Both use the same automatic transmission. The V-6 gets better gas mileage according to the EPA in all forms except 2wd V-6 auto- here the 4.8L V-8 is one mpg better on the highway. I do not buy the reason that the V-8 is more efficient because every other combination 2/4wd std/auto the V-6 gets better gas mileage.

My V-6 Silverado long box 4wd auto with 3.73s runs great and has lots of power. The truck easily hits the speed limiter that is the same limit as the V-8s. I have not towed with this truck yet, but plan on towing around 5000 lbs. I have towed 5000 lbs. my S-10 Blazer (tow capacity 5600 lbs.) with the same V-6 less 10 horsepower. The Blazer weighs as much as the Silverado (within 100 lbs. according to the titles). I was able to tow in overdrive when not in the mountains and was amazed at the power. I was sold on the Silverado V-6 because of my experience in the Blazer. The overall ratios (tires/axel/trans) for both trucks are the same.

My gas mileage is OK. The highest was 20 mpg on the highway (at high speeds) and lowest was 16 mpg during town and 4x4 driving. The overall average has been around 18 mpg. I had a 98 Nissan Frontier 4 cyl 5sp 4x4 that got the same mileage and was very under powered! I guess the Americans are actually surpassing the Japanese in some areas.

Next time I think I would buy the 5 speed if the $500 manual credit is still available. The V-6 500 credit helped make the decision too.
    a few weeks ago which had a very noticeable rough engine idle. My 4.3 is much smoother. I hope the 2001 Yukon I have on order runs better. I respect your opinion but I disagree that all 4.3 engines vibrate. If this is true, wouldn't it be apparent on any extensive test drive of a V6?
    desert 6 - If you only got 11-13 on a 2K Silverado short bed 2wd V6, then I think something must have been wrong. My 2K longbed V6 auto gets 20-27 (lowest 18), but I drive carefully. I think if you keep a truck of this type for 4-5 years, then condition will mean more than engine size. If you trade frequently, then the V8 has better resale in the short run (but you shell out more to begin with.)(BTW I also drive AZ with no noticeable power loss when AC on, although I never tow.)
    Each to his or her own, IMO.
  • desert6desert6 Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier post: the 4.3 2wd I traded in was a '94 with 80000 miles, if it had been a 2k Silverado with that type of power/drivability limitations, I wouldn't have traded it in, I would have driven it thru the Dealer's front windows!
    numbers are covered by these TSBs? My dealer said my VIN was not covered by these TSBs, and it was limited to releatively few vehicles. I have never found the list of VINs covered by these TSBs.
    Are you referring to TSB No. 99063 and 99063A? I didn't know that they were VIN related. I thought it was for a vibrating 4.3. It would also help to see the whole TSB. I think you can do a fax request to the NHTSA and they will respond with a copy via USPS within a week.
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    I have a 1998 C1500 ext-cab with the 4.3
    and auto. The V6 is a good motor for light
    duty use. As for towing it is decent if you
    are reasonable about performance. Biggest
    trailer I towed was a 14x8 Wells Cargo trailer
    with a dead weight of 2400lbs. Pulled it for
    250 miles in 3rd gear at 70+ mph and the
    truck returned 12mpg in the process.
    My truck is slightly modified, K&N filter,
    Gibson catback exhaust and 180 degree
    thermostat.