Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Real World MPG

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    The only thing the bad air sensor does is operate the flap that allows fresh air in. It does not operate the functionality of the climate control system by going from manual to auto.
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    So I need to turn the bad air sensor on even though I am in AUTO, right?
    You can, but the only thing that does is shuts the fresh air vent when the sensor picks up an odor. The system will still work the same. However, if you manually select to shut the fresh air vent, then the bad air sensor becomes deactivated because you manually did what it automatically does.

Try this...press your AUTO button once to turn it on, then again to turn it off (unless it's already on, then press it once to turn it off).

Then, press your A/C button once to turn it on and again to turn it off (unless it too is already on, then press it once to turn it off.

Now...if you press the bad air sensor button to activate it...the AUTO button should not light up.

If you change the mode settings, the AUTO button should not light up.

If you change the fan speed or temp setting, the AUTO button should not light up.

*ARE YOU CONFUSED YET???*

NOW...

If you have AUTO mode ON, the A/C is automatically activated whether you want it or not (the only drawback here). Changing the temp setting causes the mode to change depending on what temp you select. Warmer temps tend to come from below, mid temps will be mixed and cooler temps will come from up top. The AUTO feature will automatically adjust fan speed to maintain the temp you desire.

If you manually adjust the fan speed, then the AUTO feature disengages (except the A/C will still be on...even with warmer temps selected).

In winter months, if the outside temp is below a certain degree (not sure what it is), and the AUTO feature is on...the climate control system will start out in front window defrost mode for a few minutes before automatically switching to "foot" mode. This is usually true if you have the temp setting at like 80 degrees or higher.

I agree the system is a bit hokie, but it's not the worst...just gotta understand it to love it! ;)
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 106
    Gotta go back to grad school.
    LOL
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    To all:
    This discussion is hilarious. Please go back two or three pages and read all the posts again. If you can do that without a chuckle, you have no sense of humor! All we want to do is turn the $#@%^&* air conditioner off. As in off,off,off. Thanks for all your advice.....but really...
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re 106: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........
  • fannibalfannibal Member Posts: 23
    what do you mean wide open throttle shifting? what was your mileage before and how much did it improve? And when you got your dealer to do the TSB, did it cost anything?
    RE: 109
    Turning the A/C off in a warm climate, doesn't make sense.
    If the mpg of the car is compared to mpg of other cars, all with A/C operating, you will see that the Azera is low on the list for this category.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    No kidding. I can guarantee that whether the A/C is running or not does not affect mileage anywhere near as much as driving 85MPH or not coasting to stops, timing traffic lights, etc., while in town.
    RE: 113
    Think about it this way.
    With all of the money we saved by buying the Azera, we can pay for the gas.
    I don't know if there's a huge difference or not, I JUST got it done. I'm going to fill yp this weekend and see if there's any difference.

It is not a fix that you have to pay for.
  • silverazerasilverazera Member Posts: 17
    Last week I did the unthinkable, I drove at or just below the speed limit, mainly on Route I80 and I287 with 34 of my 42 commuter miles on the highway each way. The trip computer calculated that for the week I had averaged 28.2 MPG. When I filled the tank to calculate my consumption for the miles traveled I came up with 28.0 MPG. This is an 06 SE with 14,200 miles on it. I usually average 23-23.5 per tank but that may be attributed to my 70+ MPH lead foot. To me it just shows that if I just slow down, I can get great mileage out of this car. :)
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    "Have you simply tried pressing the AUTO button so that it turns off? Works for me! However, one thing I've found out...when the AUTO setting is activated, the A/C is on at all times. To make sure it's off...manually turn the A/C on, then off...that way it stays off when you operate the system manually."

It works! In "Auto," hit the AC button (led lights), hit the AC button again (led off) and the AC is disabled! You can leave your system in "Auto" and it will try to provide cooling as necessary (w/o the AC) by adjusting the fan speed. You can also, in Auto, manually adjust the fan speed via the fan speed switches and the AC will remain off...
    I would have put all that in my last explantion of it, but I didn't want to further confuse the poor lad. Seems like the climate control system needs an instruction manual of it's own!!! :confuse:

However...if you adjust the fan speed, you have eliminated the AUTO function because part of the system's ability to maintain a temperature is to control the fan speed. Essentially, what you're doing now is telling the system to blow air at a certain temp, but when the cabin reaches that temp, it won't shut off or cut down automatically. In AUTO mode, it will.

Now...if you have the AUTO mode on, the A/C will also be on. Say you want to change the fan speed manually. As soon as you do, the AUTO light goes off, but...the A/C is still on (even though the A/C light isn't on). Once you manually activate and deactivate the A/C, then it will be off.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    I played around with it a bit more today. Actually it drops out of "Auto" when you turn-on-then-turn-off the AC (the "Auto" led goes out), BUT you retain all the LCD displays (driver/passenger temps, fan speed bars) and if you press the switch for warmer or cooler, the system tries to compensate by altering fan speed and by switching into or out of "recirculation," all w/o the AC coming on.

If you shut off and later restart the engine, the settings remain as you left them (i.e., no AC comes on). Then whenever you press the "Auto" switch, you're all back to normal.

Point being, you CAN switch off the AC if you wish (push the AC button ON then OFF), while retaining all the other environmental controls... which is... about what you said... up above...
    I'd wager that commute that returned the good MPG was also much more relaxing than riding the fast lane while on and off the gas and brakes to keep from rearending the guy infront of you; or, heaven forbid, allowing someone to cut in front of you.

Driving at 70 rather than 80 takes about a minute longer for every 10 miles, so your 34 miles on the freeway took you less than 4 minutes more. ( more time to enjoy the great stereo in the Azera )
  • chiefloadchiefload Member Posts: 31
    Here's a personal experience with increasing gas mileage: switch your music style... Noticed that my driving has relaxed (no more on and off gas, breaking to avoid rear ending, in and out of lanes, to shave off a few minutes from my commute) since I started listening to classical music. Used to almost exclusively listen to hard, fast rock music. Now I turn on Strauss and Verdi, and man oh man, I almost float to work... I don't drive an Azera (yet) but with my car, the MPG over a week has improved by about 10 percent... and people tell me that I come to work in a seemingly more relaxed mood.....and likewise when I come home..
    Four minutes one-way leads to eight minutes round-trip leads to forty minutes per week leads to 32 hours per year (assuming 48 weeks of commuting).

Yes, I might save some money on gas but I can always make more money. I'll never get back those 32 hours.

The "lower the speed limit and drive slower" zealots never take into account the fact that time is money, and time is even more of a finite resource than is oil.
    Well, let's see, 61320 hours in a year, and you're worried about 32 of them? That's .052%. Not to mention the stress of tailgating in the fast lane that you'll avoid and perhaps allow you to live a bit longer.

Really, though, far be it from me to tell you how to drive, or spend your time, mine was only a suggestion to those who are complaining about the fuel economy of the Azera.
  • azlimazlim Member Posts: 9
    Is that a Venutian year or a Plutonian year? ... 2555 days?
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    AUTO mode basics:

1. Set temp 'low', air comes on

2. Set temp 'high', heat comes on

3. Set temp 'outside ambient', air and heat will fluctuate as needed to maintain set point

4. If 'brain still 'cold'', turn on seat heater

MPG:

To lower MPG:

1. Drive aggressive

2. Brake hard

3. Take off like dragster

4. Buy tires more often

To increase MPG:

1. Use awareness provided at time of entrance into this world

2. Enjoy ride and comfort

3. Observe scenery

Time:

If seconds and minutes important:

1. Work 24/7

2. Live at work

3. Drive as fast as possible, every time you drive

4. Get 'the best' insurance/health care plan available

5. Don't think about family, friends (takes up precious time)

6. Don't plan for retirement, you probably won't last that long

If seconds and minutes not priority:

1. Stop and smell roses, enjoy the view and world around you

2. Enjoy life, family, friends

3. Live long, be happy
    61,320 hours in a year? On which planet are you commuting? On my planet there are 8,760 hours in a year.
  • silverazerasilverazera Member Posts: 17
    cobrazera, you are absolutely right my ride to and from the office is more relaxing at the lower speed and generally speaking safer since the highway speed is around 70+, I need to hug the right lane or get run over or run into by other drivers who want to give me the hint to get out of the way. I'm more relaxed when I get home.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Regardless of the speed of traffic (60,70 or 80), you should be able to go with the flow and maintain a relatively steady speed.
  • plannermannplannermann Member Posts: 14
    Normally I do mostly city driving here in Vegas - so i am used to 18-20MPG. Took road trip to Reno, one tank each way, averaged 26 MPG. My speed was 70-90 MPH, made the trip in 6hrs. Now time to bring in for 15K service and oil change.
    Does anyone have a report of their real world mpg experiences with their Azera?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's a new discussion for you folks to continue your air filter conversation: Hyundai Air Filter Benefits?

Let's get back to our regularly scheduled fuel economy reports here. ;)
    Just completed 4000 mile trip from FL to CT and back with some additional side trips.
    Most of driving was highway, route 95, at about 75 mph.
    Fuel comsumption, per cars computer, was 22.4 MPG.
    I now have 24K total miles on Azzy.
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    70 MPH on interstate in S.C. and Ga. using cruise and A/C with outstide temp of 98, passenger load about 350. 28.5 MPG.
  • theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    floridabob1 - I too have an '06, and tend to drive 70 - 75 on I 95 (NJ, NY & CT) primarily only for 50 - 100 miles per trip. Heck that's not speeding...just keeping up with the flow of traffic. Anyway, I average per the car's computer in the 29 - 30.5 mpg range. 250lbs combined passenger weight for the 2 of us, little to no luggage, AC on part of the time.
    Also, I bought the car at Great Lakes Hyundai (Cleveland area) and drove it back to Long Island, NY when new. Varied speed between 55 - 80 mph, and averagd 28mpg, 360lbs combined weight, no luggage AC on part of the time.
    From your prior posts, it's clear you're obviosly well versed with cars from a mechanical point of view. I might suggest having your service manager run a diagnostic to make sure your milage is OK @ 22.4mpg.
    Edit / Add - FWIW in mixed city 80% & 20% parkway yeilds an average of 18 - 19.5 mpg. While mpg comes down quite a bit, these cars a still good economy-wise.
    Best of luck!
    RE;174
    Trunk was loaded with luggage and golf clubs, however milage seems to be almost the same as on shorter highway trips with trunk empty.
    I will have a diagnostic computer check performed to determine if there is anything out of the ordinary.
  • purplishpurplish Member Posts: 4
    Haven't had a chance to put the Azera on any real road trips yet, it's just doing around town & commuter duty. Computer consistently shows 18.7mpg so far, with the trips being crowded city streets & bumper-to-bumper freeway slogging. It's my wife's daily driver & the A/C is virtually always on, regardless of selected or outside temperatures.

The odometer is just over 12,000 miles, and we've always been running 'regular unleaded' fuel and Mobil 1 oil. Tires set @ 33psi.

J.R.
    SoCal
    Bob, skip that trivial stuff, how was your golf game? :)
    RE: 177
    Now you're talking about the important stuff.
    In actuality, it wasn't bad for an old codger like me.
    Thanks for asking.
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    Just got back from 650 mile R/T into middle TN and back to SC using different routes.
    Got 31 MPG going through the Smokies. No air and speed between 50 and 65 depending on curves, etc. Lots of 5-10% grades up and down though.
    Got 29.5 MPG once road leveled out between Knoxville and mid-TN, but had air on and doing 70.
    Got 26.5 on return, but that was about 65% interstate at 70-75, 15% country roads and 20% suburbs of Hotlanta.
    Still good for this car for me.
    The ride was really good in GA and TN on thier smoother roads, but rough roads in SC and NC definitely reinforced my taking it in for new shocks.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    Completed a trip from Central Wisconsin to Orlando Florida and back.
    70% highway. Computed using the old way (miles traveled, gas purchased) VERY HAPPY WITH 28.6 mpg
    and the best part.....what a great ride
  • donvickdonvick Member Posts: 38
    Went from south of Fresno to Silver Springs Nevada, a 704 mile round trip. Went up Hwy 99 to the 50 across to Carson City.
    Per the cars computer.
    Average speed was 57 mph
    mileage 28.9 mpg
    Had the trunk loaded
    Very comfortable, quiet ride all the way. Did not even turn on the Infinity stereo, just enjoyed the ride.

Going through the mountains on hwy 50 the car stuck like crazy to the road without wallowing, leaning or any feeling of control loss.. She just laid into the turns flat.
    I doo wish the seats had more of a support along the sides though. I hadn't noticed the lack of side support until I started pressing it into the turns.

Total mileage on this car is now at 28,000 miles and still no complaints. Will buy it again.
    Its a 2006 Limited, Pearl white with Chrome wheels.

Vick
  • doveman7doveman7 Member Posts: 10
    OK, real world gas mileage report. Bought my 07 Azera Ltd. (April build date) in September (should have waited a bit) and have 3,700 miles. I have averaged 25.1 mpg overall (car calculated) and on a 400 mile trip yesterday hit 30 mpg (hand calculated and driving about 70 mph). I am more than pleased. Most of my driving is in a smallish city so I have almost no driving and idling in heavy traffic.
    RE: 182
    Still getting about 24 highway (70+) and 17 city.
    28000 miles 87 octane . Florida driving, no hills or mountains. Average air temperature 75 to 85 F
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    I was getting about 19 combo driving but since the service it's up to 21. Only other variable is I used Union gas in the last fill up compared to Arco.I understand they put in some additives in the oil and gas. Maybe this made a difference.Had not changed oil prior to this service
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Well, I am finally seeing a mileage drop in my 07 Azera, for the first about 20,000 miles, I was getting consistently between 23.7 and 24.1 mpg in all around driving. However, my wife has had the car as her primary vehicle for the last 3,500 miles and her average is only 22.7 mpg.

I have a strange feeling the the car hasn't changed, lol, but clearly the way it is being driven has changed.
    RE:185
    I am surprised that with a change of drivers you are getting a difference of only 1 MPG.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    The onger people live together, the more similar they become. 30 years and counting.
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    2007 Azerea Ltd--Purchased 10/30/07---avge mpg to date is 24.12, including 1500 mile trip from Mn to FL this month--MPG on trip alone averaged a shade over 26 mpg. Gauge in Azzy is a bit optimistic, I believe.--total -mileage now at 5200. Did not see another Azzy on the entire trip but saw two this week in N. Florida.

No problems any where and the satellite radio rocks.
    We all know that it is near impossible to completely fill the Azera gas tank to determine accurate gas mileage. I have kept track of gas used since I purchased my 07 Azera. I used 588 gallons in one year of ownership. My mileage during this time is 15,421 mile which comes out to 25.9 miles per gallon. I drive about 70% on the interstate 25% city driving. I am very happy with the outcome AND
    NO problems with the car......WHAT A CAR :=)
    RE: 189
    You must be a very conservative driver using the A/C on a limited basis.
    I don't achieve anything near 26 MPG, but do much more city driving.
    South FL living requires A/C full time.
    I guess I would be a conservative driver...I don't blast off at stop lights BUT I do drive over the speed limit and pass those slow drivers and trucks. I live in Wisconsin and have noticed that I get better mileage when the temps are between 50°and 75° range. Since owning the Azera I have made a couple of trips to Florida and California and on those trips I have averaged almost 29 mpg. I set the temp control to automatic so I do use the A/C. Best of all I can drive 10-12 hours a day and don't feel like I've been run over by a truck :=)
    Well it looks like it's going to be a warm day (30°) so I'll heat up the garage and change the oil & filter :=)
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Just completed 1300 mile trip from FL to MN, mostly interstate running between 65-75, car fully loaded with suitcases, etc--got 27.65 mpg, actual---had little tail wond most of the way. Car ran flawlessly for the entire 4000 + mile round trip.
  • stan28stan28 Member Posts: 14
    I just completed a two week 3,000 mile round trip from DC to FL and back.
    Averaged 26mpg for the trip. Had A/C on and ran 75-80 on the hwy. Then today I
    did a 100 mile round trip doing 60-65 (no interstate roads) without A/C and got 30.2 going and 29.0 coming back. At least that's what the mileage indicator on the dash says. I now have 4600 miles on the odo.