Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dealer transfers

doctorscdoctorsc Member Posts: 1
edited June 2018 in General
I’m in the market for a used car, so I went to a local Toyota dealership. They didn’t have what we wanted but did have something close at another dealership in a neighboring state but still in the same “family” of dealerships. They both have the same person’s name on the building. The salesman said they could have the car transferred to my local dealership for a $350 fee. He also said the price wouldn’t be negotiable bc they would pay the other dealership their asking price. Why would my local dealership do this? How do they make money on the deal if they pay the other dealer what I pay them? There has to be something going on behind the scenes.

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    doctorsc said:

I’m in the market for a used car, so I went to a local Toyota dealership. They didn’t have what we wanted but did have something close at another dealership in a neighboring state but still in the same “family” of dealerships. They both have the same person’s name on the building.

The salesman said they could have the car transferred to my local dealership for a $350 fee. He also said the price wouldn’t be negotiable bc they would pay the other dealership their asking price.

Why would my local dealership do this? How do they make money on the deal if they pay the other dealer what I pay them? There has to be something going on behind the scenes.

I'd say you are correct... something happening behind the scenes.

But, that isn't really important. Is the car a good value at that price + $350?
    If it is, then buy it. If not, then take a pass.

Or, use the internet to search for the used car you want, and bypass trucking one in from another dealership.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator