Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Selling to a dealer. Do I need to go to the DMV?

aminevoaminevo Member Posts: 1
edited June 2018 in General
Just listed my car online. A potential buyer looked and liked it. Left me with few hundred dollars to keep for him. He plan to buy the car for another family member, and plans to bring a relative, ehi is a car dealer, to finish the paperwork and payment.
He strikes me as a decent person, snd still, to my understanding, we should go to the DMV together.
Am I wrong? What happens when I sell to a dealer ? Is the title transferred to him or it's pended untill he finds a buyer? What should I be aware of?
Thanks

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    aminevo said:

Just listed my car online. A potential buyer looked and liked it. Left me with few hundred dollars to keep for him. He plan to buy the car for another family member, and plans to bring a relative, ehi is a car dealer, to finish the paperwork and payment.
    He strikes me as a decent person, snd still, to my understanding, we should go to the DMV together.
    Am I wrong? What happens when I sell to a dealer ? Is the title transferred to him or it's pended untill he finds a buyer? What should I be aware of?
    Thanks

A dealer is coming to your house to buy a car?
    What proof do you have that he is a dealer?

You should definitely do the transfer at the DMV. They can insure that the transfer is handled properly, and verify his claim.

In our state, to be a dealer, you have to have a physical car lot, and the license is tied to that location. You have to be open regular hours, etc, etc.

Any person that doesn't want to do the transfer at the DMV should be avoided, unless you are at the dealership.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator