Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Real World MPG

Comments

• fredvpfredvp Member Posts: 5
    Now have about 8200 miles on this car. mileage for the same trip has
    gone up to a steady 24.
    We just took a long trip and got a consistent 28.3 mpg at 65 mph on
    the highway.
    Fred
  • exner60exner60 Member Posts: 11
    My display shows 27.7. When I press the Info button, I see 38. I'm not sure what this one means.

By the way, I have the 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual with just about 8400 miles.
  • blumsteinblumstein Member Posts: 38
    I have a FWD Milan V6 Premiere with 15k and currently live in the L.A. area.

I am getting 19.6 MPG at an average speed of 28 MPG. But, we are the #1 most heavily traffic'ed city in the country.

Sunday, I'd headed for Vega$ so I'll see how it does on the highway.

Paul
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    You should try resetting the computer for each trip. THe computer appearently uses a declining average...

As to K&N Filter, I added one to my 2007 Mustang and noticed a 3 mpg gain on the Highway.

Mark
    I don't know what you mean by declining average, but I do reset the computers to isolate trips.

BTW, my Vegas trip averaged about 26 mpg. (And Spamalot was fantastic).

Paul
  • fredvpfredvp Member Posts: 5
    I just did a round trip to Boston. Avg 65-70 mph. Did
    30mpg. Mostly highway a little through some small
    towns when we got lost..
  • basiliskstbasiliskst Member Posts: 55
    Our 2008 Mercury Milan Premier I4 2.3 liter with the 5-speed automatic transmission is brand new (so not broken in) and is doing 27 average on approximately 60% highway/40% city. This is in Phoenix where big wide streets mean "city" is still 35-45 mph except in rush hour traffic (but the lights are long). At 55 mph highway it appears to hit about 32 mpg, but most of the freeways are 65-70 mph and at that it is pulling down 28-30 mpg. In slow traffic it is dipping to 23 to 24 mpg, still better than the 20 city / 28 highway EPA rating. I'm not burying my foot often except for the occasional on-ramp merge. And I tend to drive smoothly anyway. Still, I'm pleased with this mileage for a brand new engine and a decent size sedan with luxury features and space. The overall average after 300 some miles in 27.1 by the dash and a fill-up agrees that the gauge is accurate. It's not that much worse than the same engine with a 5-speed manual in our 2005 Ford Focus ST. (The Focus ST does have more acceleration.) I'll report again after more miles to see if this holds up over time. So far though, I'm happy and so is my wife (it's her primary work car). The Milan offers a very nice luxury interior with sporty handling (not disconnected, but not harsh either), capable of carrying four people in real comfort, and is still getting very good gas mileage at an attractive price.
  • bergy612bergy612 Member Posts: 1
    Wow I can't believe that a lot of you are only getting around 17 miles per gallon! I just purchased my Milan with 26,000 miles on it and have been getting on average about 24 miles per gallon and that is all city miles; I now have around 33,000 on it. Is it true that changing your air filter will help you get better mileage?? These days I will try anything to get even a few more miles per gallon. Even with getting 24 miles per gallon, I really notice how fast the needle drops when I'm driving. If anyone has any tips on air filters..let me know! I wish my Milan got a little better gas mileage, but I love the feel of it and have had no problems so far with it. The only thing I noticed was the chrome on the door handles have a tendency to chip!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You must have the I4 - a lot (if not all) of the folks reporting 17 mpg have the V6. As for air filters - if yours is blocked then changing it will increase fuel economy. Some folks opt for a K&N or similar filter as opposed to the paper filters, but without a corresponding exhaust change it probably won't increase your fuel economy. Paper filters work fine as long as you change them regularly.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The other factor is not all cities are equal in terms of how one can drive. If "city" means downtown Chicago or NY, that is quite different from "city" when it means, say, Des Moines.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I just got back from a 400 mile day trip in a rented 08 Milan Premier I4 (Hertz rental, 19k miles). I found the car very pleasant, but I did notice that it seemed to have to drop a gear or two on what I considered to be modest hills. Here's a summary:

Terrain: mostly hilly (New Hampshire and Vermont)
    Roads: 3/4 freeway, 1/4 country roads
    Traffic: moderate but flowing, some stop & go in Montpelier & St. Johnsbury
    Speed: usually near the posted limit, with cruise control used when practical
    Weather: temps in the low 80s (A/C on all the time), slight crosswind for about 30 miles but otherwise calm

Fuel economy, as measured by the vehicle display: 32.0 MPG

It's better than my '02 V6 Accord would have gotten under similar conditions. But it's no better than I got nine years ago with a 3.8 V6 Olds Intrigue under roughly the same parameters.
  • jaco0062jaco0062 Member Posts: 8
    Ask the dealer if there is any pcm updates for these cars. U will need the vin number. If theh dealer doesn t ask for the vin then u know they are full of [non-permissible content removed]. be adament.
  • tlworkroomtlworkroom Member Posts: 9
    I installed Bosch "+2+ plugs in my beatup 1991 Geo Prizm with AT and 240K miles. Hwy mpg went from 30-32 up to 35 mpg and even higher(38 mpg!!) on flat land around Texas pandhandle. Gave me better acceleration all around, too. You might try them.
    That's just because you put in new plugs, not because they were any specific type of plug.
  • elkeinelkein Member Posts: 19
    Original Message:
    This car was purchased used with 3512 miles on it.

Update:
    Current milage 8,900 miles
    changes that could affect milage: added oem mudflaps(increase airdrag), hitch (30lbs weight,) Rotate and balance ( decrease rolling resistance,) touch pad keyless entry( don't laugh...increased airdrag ) Mobil 1 oil ( modified drivetrain friction )
    New mpg figures, 20.4 long term average, highway/interstate 25.4( as advertised for this vehicle!) worst tankful 18.4 mpg.
    I haven't trailered with mine yet, that is next weekend. Spare me the speech about it not being in the owners manual. I do use common sense, and I own a f-series truck for anything that really needs hauling.
    Just having more miles on it will also increase mpg, due to reduced friction.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I recently got a 07 Milan I Premier with the automatic. The DIC is always about 2mpg more optimistic than the actual mileage when I put pen to paper. A while back I had a 05 Ford Five Hundred with the same affliction. Anyone else notice this same thing?
  • tlworkroomtlworkroom Member Posts: 9
    I easily understand your statement, because I've experienced that very easily myself. However, I had new plugs (cheap Delco's) in first, then decided to try the Bosch "+2" plugs, and that's when I got the better mileage. However, since writing previous message, I have remembered some other things which helped me to get that much better mileage. So I still think the Bosch plugs are very good for my car, but they probably didn't give me the better mpg alone. Plus....I think the Bosch "+4" plugs to be overkill. However, I think that "+3" would be cool.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    my '07 fusion is usually high by about .5, but the odometer undermeasures miles by about 2%. measured 40 mile run registered 39.3 on the odometer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    I rented a 2009 V6 Fusion with 2,500 miles on it to tool around Nashville in last weekend. I spent some time on the freeways, country roads, and city streets. After over 300 miles put on the car, I calculated 21.1 mpg. That compares to about 24 mpg I got with a 4 cylinder 2009 Sonata rented the week before, with a comparable type of driving.
    Mileage might be a little better after 5K miles - the Duratecs take awhile to loosen up.

The 2010 Fusion is expected to have more power AND best in class fuel economy. Due out in January.
  • smokeyjoesmokeyjoe Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2008 SEL V6 with 6,200 miles. With 75% city, 25% hwy, I averaged 21.5 MPG thus far.
    looks like about 22 in mixed driving. it took my 17 days to go through a tank of gas.
  • stovebolterstovebolter Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2008 FWD Fusion SE V6/automatic that I've had for just over 10k miles, just under 4 months. It's a company car, so I have to keep track of the fuel and mileage. I do probably 80-90% highway driving (45-65 speed limit), with 10-20% city or stop and go. Overall I've averaged 27.7 mpg so far, with a best tank of 30.3 and worst of 24.7. Not bad for a car the EPA rates at 18/26.

I've found the DIC to be pretty consistent with my calculations, rarely more than 1/2 mpg off per tank.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Ob viously akirby is a ford guy. Btw irridium plugs WILL get you better mpg..
    Now as far as ur comment on 2010 being best in class fuel economy, i'd luv to buy a fusion.... rented 1 once...but my 03 camry @ 60 or 65 gets 40 mpg... @ 70 37mpg...@ 75 33mpg....@ 80 31mpg...not until i cross over 82 mph does it drop into the high 29'sthat seems to be the breaking point. I think the fusion drives better than my camry, but it cant touch it ...not even close in mpg... WHen it does.. maybe 2010 i'll be 1st in line

Later
    Caaz
    \

p.s. I have over 15,000 accurate miles to substabtiate all my above claimed mpg's
    I'm not disputing your mpg (although I may be skeptical) but the only way to compare vehicles is to use the exact same (repeatable) test and all we have right now is the EPA test. The new tests are much closer to reality.

The 2010 Fusion will roll off the assembly line in 3 months so you won't have to wait long to find out.

And yes, I'm obviously a Ford fan but that doesn't change the facts.
    what is your mpg average over those 15k miles?
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    mixed driving is 34.2 mpg

later
    caaz
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    My computer says I average 23.7MPG. I drive about 60% freeway. On road trips I have gotten upwards of 30.2 doing a steady 70MPH. So far, I am satisfied with the MPG, reliability and quality of this car. For the price paid when comparing a Honda Accord/Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima.. I am very satisfied I didn't pay the extra $3-5,000 when the media tells everyone its worth it. :shades:
  • w0bymagnusw0bymagnus Member Posts: 19
    I just sold my 2001 Lincoln Town Car....I was getting 18-24mpg in that heavy V8 car. I can't beleive that a Ford Fusion, in 2006-08 would get such poor gas mileage. I was even reading that the 4cyl only gets 21-29mpg. That's just poor build quality.
    Read the whole post. He's revving almost to redline in every gear, and running 100 mph. What kind of mileage would the Town Car get under those conditions? My guess is that it would be in the ditch at the first corner if you tried driving it like that.
    That's in line with other similar vehicles although on the low end. The 2010 Fusion 2.5L will beat both the Accord and Camry 4 cylinders in fuel mileage at 33 hwy and the Fusion hybrid will yield 38 mpg city. That's best in class. A lot of things have changed since 2001 including emissions and crash testing.
    Well, EPA rates that Towne Car at 16/23. They have the 2009 Fusion at 20/28 for the 4 cyl and 18/26 for the V6.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Everyone's actual mileage will vary depending on how and where they actually drive. If you exceeded the EPA rating in the Towne Car, you'd likely also exceed the rating for any other car.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I've just passed the break in mileage of 1000. First tank that I tracked I got about 23 MPG in a 50/50 mix. Second tank was on about a 60 City and 40 Highway I got 20.27 MPG even though the info center had me at 21.5. I've found in both instances that the Cars MPG reading is roughly 1mpg higher than actual. My Mountaineer's Info Center reading for the MPG is almost dead on as compared to my actual using a calculator. I think my MPG was affected by the sudden change in weather here in central Ohio. It has been very cold. Last night it got down to 14 degrees and only got up to 31 today. That's been pretty much the way it has been on this last tank of gas. Hopefully over time MPG will increase since I was very careful to follow the advice of Ford during the break-in period.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • dennisw2dennisw2 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed about one month ago my 2008 Milan 6cycl with 10,000 began to drop gas mileage. Before free way was 31 now 27. City was 22 now 17. I felt before I checked mileage that it was requiring more pedal in the lower gears. Ford says it is the weather and change in gas forumula for winter. I bought the car one year ago and did not notice this problem last winter. My driving is about a 40 freeway 60 city mix and I live in northeast ohio. I thinking about an independant garage checking the engine. Any wisdom on this problem? A first ford owner! :)
    It is most likely the weather and change in gas formulas. You might be seeing 10% ethanol which will also reduce mileage as will oxygenated fuels.
  • dumbledoredumbledore Member Posts: 3
    I have a 4 and avg is 29.1. For the size of the car, I'm satisfied. Its no camry but that's another post... ;)
  • mustangpaul05mustangpaul05 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

new Milan owner!

It seems I'm getting slightly less milage here, I have a v6 and combined last fill-up I got 25 with like 90% being highway miles at 70mph. Does that sound right? Seems that my city milage is real low and kills my highway MPG when averaged. I do use 10% ethanol gas (all thats available). city driving here is also very stop and go..

Anything I can have checked, the car has no recalls.

Also, it has high milage, 30k after 16 months
    City mileage is low on a V6 so you're probably doing as well as you can under the circumstances.
    Sounds right for winter fuel with city stop-n-go.
  • mustangpaul05mustangpaul05 Member Posts: 5
    sounds re-assuring. thanks!
  • wiredpairwiredpair Member Posts: 22
    This update is 1 year and 1 day later and now at 51,738 miles (2007 Fusion SEL V6) at last fill-up this morning. My driving habits are unchanged - mostly highway at 60 MPH with cruise set. The computer still shows 28.2 MPG vs. my calculations of 28.2162 - very slight variance. I believe the computer only averages over a certain number of miles, not since it was last reset.

I have fueled up 166 times. The high mark was 31.55 MPG and low tank was 24.13 MPG. Summer driving yields much better results - up to 3 MPG better. This is due to less traffic, less warm up time, and non-winter blend fuel.

I am looking at the 2010 hybrid model - intriguing. Have yet to experience one problem with this car though. Only minor complaint is the turning radius is wider than desired - other than that, car is excellent.

Eric

Yet another update. I crossed the 25,000 mile mark today and the computer shows 28.2 MPG and my hand calculations are slightly above 28.0 MPG so we're splitting hairs. Bear in mind, I drive about 80%-85% highway with a FWD V6. This MPG has been achieved driving at 60 MPH with cruise control and mostly avoiding hard accelerations. The car does get warmed up until the tachometer drops to normal idle speed, which may take a few minutes in winter.

There is a noticeable difference with the winter blend fuel here in the Northeast, deducting about 1.5 MPG.

I did hit the magical 30 MPG mark on two tanks during the summer when traffic was lighter but am struggling to get to 28 MPG now. I am hoping to see a rebound to a high average of 29.5 per the computer six months from now.

Until next time,
    Eric
  • gth743bgth743b Member Posts: 13
    I bought a 2010 SE about 2 weeks ago, and the fuel economy is, as usual, better than listed. It's listed at 22/29 with 24 combined, but I found it to be different. In downtown Atlanta, or any downtown, you can expect about 17-18 mpg. In suburban driving to and from work in the city, you're looking at about 25.5-26 mpg. On a trip from Atlanta to West Virginia, I averaged about 71-72 mph, and got 34.0 mpg. The clutch in the manual is very light as well, so traffic isn't nearly as painful as it traditionally is for most manual drivers.
  • gth743bgth743b Member Posts: 13
    I drove from WV to Atlanta this time, and averaged 36.6mpg for the trip doing 5 over the posted speed limit. This included two gas stops, a toll, and about 5 miles of stop and go traffic in just south of Charlotte. On the way back I test it out at 65 on flat interstate and it did 39mpg. At 70 on flat interstate its about 37-37.5, still awesome.
  • fusionguyfusionguy Member Posts: 6
    I test drove a new 2010 Milan Premier 4 cylinder this evening, about 15 miles on the interstate going 65 mph and had the a/c on for half of the trip. I reset the trip computer's mpg reading to 0 once on the interstate, and it showed the average of 38 mpg at the end of the drive, incredible. This Milan was extremely quiet and solid. Handled great. Mercury needs to advertise their Milan a lot more.
  • togdentogden Member Posts: 2
    Last year we leased a regular Camry LE because of the no down, low lease rate. It replaced a Ford Expedition so it made sense. Now, we're trying to find the great deal for a high mpg car (that's bigger than a sardine can) but the market seems to be behind.

We looked at the Prius but it's too ugly and small. We looked at the Civic Hybrid but it's too small. We looked at the Camry Hyrbid but it's too expensive and the mpg doesn't pay back fast enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    T
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I do about 60% interstate driving (70mph average) and 40% suburban driving (not truely "city" driving, but mostly 40 mph roads with plenty of traffic lights). I average 30mpg in my '06 Accord 4-cylinder. Enough power to merge at above legal speed limits, and plenty of room for a family of 4.
    Any ideas?

Keep the Camry and buy gas with the money you save by not replacing it :) .

What about Fusion hybrid?
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    I just picked up a 2010 fusion brochure and was surprised to see that there was a difference in epa ratings among the 4cyl models. The highest non hybrid epa numbers were 23/34 for the (S) model with auto while the SE and SEL models with auto had epa ratings of 22/31. The main difference I could see was smaller sized tires on the S model which I assume create less resistance. When you consider the much higher tire replacement cost of the uplevel models and slightly lower economy, the base S model is looking more attractive...
    I think I read somewhere that the S also has a slightly "softer" throttle calibration, meaning less immediate response, to encourage more moderate behavior behind the wheel. Not sure if the gearing also differs.