Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

trans problem

sterlingsterling Member Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in Jaguar
Need some help ! Unfortunately i live in small town and no mechanics can
run diagnostics on my 04 x series jag. They have no clue.

What tran.is doing : Sometimes from reverse or park to drive it doesnt
move unless i put it in low 1 then back to drive .

Also feels sometimes like it might be driving in lower gear.....guess i should look
what tach reads. I did have one mechanic who put in a tire sensor...he thinks...
and seemed to run ok for about 2-3 months.

Is my trans ruined or can a different sensor fix it ?

Best Answer

Answers

• sterlingsterling Member Posts: 5
    trans.
    help
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Could be any number of things. The X Type transmission is not known for reliability.

You REALLY need to find a scan tool that can extract codes from the ECM and the TCM.

If you're really lucky, maybe you'll have a bad range selector switch on top of the transmission.

You could also have water intrusion into the TCM module, or corrosion at that connector.

Or, you might have to buy the whole enchilada, which would be painful.

I'm thinking (just guessing) that your problem might be electrical, which is a good thing. If you had one of the usual X-type shaft breakages, your car wouldn't move at all.
    thank you.....i hope its only electrical too ! finding a scan tool might be tricky
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You should also check the fluid level. There's may not be a dipstick so you may have to test the level by unscrewing the fill plug on the side of the transmission.

I would think that any professional mechanic's scan tool can scan the TCM for codes.
    changed trans oil .....2 mechs. say they cant scan for codes for a jag. closest i can get is 2 hrs away......