Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica: Electrical/Lighting Problems

13»

Comments

• squinttersquintter Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 06 Pacifica AWD Signature. The problem is the visor mirror lights will not light. I have checked the bulbs they are ok and the map lights only come on when I rotate the multiswitch to the on position. At this point I can turn the map lights on and off by pressing them. When the switch is set to "parade" mode or the switch is in "dimmer" mode the lights will not turn on. Also the red led next to the clock for the evic will not light up and the orange passenger air bag off led will not light up. Although both of them will light at engine start.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
  • nik96nik96 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    I have the answer and the fix..It will cost 5 dollars at a walmat and 15 minutes time..email me and I will [email protected]
  • jlandsawjlandsaw Member Posts: 2
    I was returning home tonight and divered that I have no headlights. AThe yellow marker lights come on and the driving lights will come on. I can pull the switch handle back on the sterring column and the brights come on but go off when I release the handle. I am leaving for Arizona in 2 days and need some serious help. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? HELP!!!!
  • mycar55mycar55 Member Posts: 1
    As I am just finding this forum am amazed that I am not alone on the myriad of problems I have had all these years . I still love the beauty of my '04 AWD Pacifica Touring but am crazed with the problemsssssss under warranty and not. Front end and brakes repeatedly. I've now had 4 batteries. I absolutely can't even open doors long enough to clean the car without having to start it repeatedly or jump it. It has never been for repairs without then needing a jump to take it home. What's with this electrical problem. AND as always... The HVAC is at an all time problem with the fan not coming on when outside temp is at it hottest in the 90's ...same happens in winter when it's cold. No fan...when it comes on it blow cold or hot as it should so it is not a freon problem nor just me. Help!
  • anthonygickanthonygick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chrysler pacifica with the 3.8 v6 with 107,000 miles. Last week my cluster went dark and windshield wipers quit working. After check the fuses and cussing up a storm everything started to work again except for the check engine light. The local auto parts store hooked up their computer and gave me 2 codes U140 "Lost communication with body control module" and U110C "Lost fuel level message". I have searched the net for information but can't find anything. Is this gonna be a costly repair or is it just something that happens periodically? I would hate to have to buy another car since it is now paid for but I am really not inclined to drop a huge amount of money of fixing a car and then worry about being nickel and dimed to death. Any suggestion or repair guidance?
  • tbar2tbar2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi , READ this is lights flicker.......... I did the recall with my'05 years ago and the lights have been going off and on as well. They just Both went out and that's when I had to follow-up. Dealer played games with diagnostic charges, new bulbs,etc.. I took the housing out (2 screws on top) and when I pulled out the large casing the lights flickered. It's the wire harnesss as someone described above (from mexico,etc..) . I actually overheard the mechanic talk to the mgr that the harness was bad.... they are re-doing the recall. now to get my 300 bucks back from dealer who had to have seen them flicker when they diagnosed 2 times ....unreal... also, I was in the shop when they pulled out the light the third time to be sure they saw the flicker and could not LIE again.. you ALL may need to do the same... Don't we all own that company with our tax bailout ??? good luck and let me know what happens...
  • manny8514manny8514 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 Chrysler Pacifica AWD. When the car idle the lights dim and lights on dash board dim along with the head lights. Also when I have the hazzard light flashing the dimming lights flash along with it. Any ideas on what is going on?
  • pcrampepcrampe Member Posts: 1
    Hey my 04 is now having this exact problem. Did you find a solution?
  • shernandez0111shernandez0111 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. Did you, your mechanic or dealer figure out what the issue is? Single mom to 3 here and would like to have my friend, who is a mechanic fix it, but I don't want to buy 8 different parts to figure out which one it is. Most electrical parts can't be returned. Any information would be so helpful and thank you in advance! - Stephanie
  • uuglyuugly Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    My mom has an '04 Chrysler Pacifica. She got to my house today, as she was pulling in she said the light down by the shifter that comes on when you push it when you want to keep from skidding around (AND I believe ABS is what she's talking about) came on and then the flashers came on. She doesn't know why and the odds of her bumping both of these buttons and turning then on wld be pretty much impossible.

We lost my dad in January of this yr, my mom is 76 yrs old. She's up and going and active, but on a VERY limited income. I promised my dad on his death bed it was OK to go, I wld take care of her. I know nothing about cars, just that mechanics will take advantage of us not knowing what's wrong. We don't have the finances for an expensive fix.

PLEASE HELP!!
  • teresa24teresa24 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem. I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. I have 165,000 miles on my SUV & this is the 1st time this has happened help, please?
  • meeklo1meeklo1 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but when I first started taking my 05 Pacifica to Midas they had given me a report on the vehicle that informed customers of recalls and common problems. I remember there was something with an abs speed sensor being listed on there. If the engine light hasn't come on, then I would give the vehicle a park and see if it happens again. There has been funny business with my whole electrical system on the dash, and it goes away after giving it a park. I really hope this helps
    I'm unsure whether your having problems with the abs brake light, or if your dash lights have. gone completely black. In my case with the dash lights I turned the vehicle off for 20 minutes plus and the dash lights were back to normal. This vehicle has given me a few problems since, and i feel like it has something to do with the vehicles onboard computer. I just hope that wouldn't be it being that its expensive . I know its very irritating,and I hope this helps.
  • soh1soh1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Pacifica touring has 75k miles, and recently sometimes when i start the engine, nothing happens. Key turns but No sound. Today, when it did not start, i set the key on ON position, pressed Brake pedal and shifted gear to Neutral and then turned the key, and car started right away.
    I had changed the battery 3 months ago from autozone, and asked them to check, and they told battery as well as self/starter is good. So I am thinking that there may be some switch in transmission that tells car if it is parked and ready to start, and if that switch is not properly engaged, then car does not start. Not sure though but shifting car into Neutral at least caused the car to start.
  • teresa24teresa24 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica with 169,000 miles on it. I too have had problems like that however now my lights blink rapidly at certain times, my brake light turns on and off at times, car acts like she wants to turn off but dosn;t turn off ...My mechanic stated that it was the electrical harnis that needs to be replaced. So that I am doing next weekend.
  • kjchilandokjchilando Member Posts: 2
    My daughters crappy Pacifica blows a headlight every few months. Take the two bolts out of the top and I then take a 2" wide putty knife and shove it in at the bottom where the lower catch is. This usually releases it. Then keeping the lower facia pushed down grab the sides and wiggle it forward. I usually replace a H7 lamp. There are 2 torx screws holding the lamp in, loosen them and twist it slightly and then the lamp plugs in. This is the worst design I have ever worked on. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone I know. It drives good when it works but everything on it is problematic. We are 2 weeks into a ABS brake problem now.
    Try giving the headlight a firm and stable bunt after removing the two screws up top, and that will work for removing the headlight assembly. As for the bulb, you don't need to loosen the torx screws. Twist the bulbs' metal base so that it slides freely, but remember the direction to loosen and tighten the bulb to the connector. Try using some electrical grease on the bulbs maybe. Hope this helps.
  • dsinatoredsinatore Member Posts: 7
    Don't have the PAC anymore but when I was changing the headlights every 6 months removing the light assembly became 2nd nature. What did happen then the alternator took out my new battery which was still under warranty. The tech said my alt was not putting out the correct sign wave. The quoted me $400 to replace. I did it for $165 and never had to change a headlight again. Only 2 more years but with the old alt that would have been 6 pairs.
  • razorfish6razorfish6 Member Posts: 1
    thank you for your post, what was the end result. My Pacifica is having a very similar issue.
  • patrickidolpatrickidol Member Posts: 3
    Hope this works it did for mine..try replacing the battery cable and connectors that go from battery to fuse box under the hood, the proper name for the fuse box is "integrated power control module" this can be stupid expensive for the module, like $1200-$1800 which is just the dealers way of ripping you.. You can not just go get one from a junk yard they are vin number specific but if you luck up you can get one for about $100 but its really hard part to find.. so back to the power wire that runs from battery to fuse box, they can be bought at any local parts store for under $20, have a mechanic do it if you are not sure what to do cause you will be messing with the $1200-$1800 part and if you screw it up you will not be able to get one very fast or cheap unless you are just super lucky.. but the symptoms in our car that it fixed was the flashing dash lights, the radio flickering, the car suddenly stalling, and the very heated battery, which could also lead to battery drained when you wake up.. hope this helps, it was a long process to figure it out but I am pretty sure the red power wire being replaced did it.
    Hope this works it did for mine..try replacing the battery cable and connectors that go from battery to fuse box under the hood, the proper name for the fuse box is "integrated power control module" this can be stupid expensive for the module, like $1200-$1800 which is just the dealers way of ripping you.. You can not just go get one from a junk yard they are vin number specific but if you luck up you can get one for about $100 but its really hard part to find.. so back to the power wire that runs from battery to fuse box, they can be bought at any local parts store for under $20, have a mechanic do it if you are not sure what to do cause you will be messing with the $1200-$1800 part and if you screw it up you will not be able to get one very fast or cheap unless you are just super lucky.. but the symptoms in our car that it fixed was the flashing dash lights, the radio flickering, the car suddenly stalling, and the very heated battery, which could also lead to battery drained when you wake up.. hope this helps, it was a long process to figure it out but I am pretty sure the red power wire being replaced did it.
    edited February 2013
    Red power wire from Integrated power control or aka "under the hood fuse box" to the battery, lol.. spent tons of money trying to fix a $15 problem, I have replaced the power control module to the tune of $1400 didn't do a thing.. replaced fuses.. nada.. but a red wire that costs less than $20 fixed it, at this point I changed terminal couplers for the battery connecters, and it drives like a dream.. I hope this helps everyone and takes money and puts it back into your pockets..I am a big advocate of trying the cheap fix first, never spend more before you have to.. my total to come to this conclusion cost almost $2200 which is 1000 times more than it should have..

symptoms: flickering head lights, flickering dash, flickering ABS light, Flickering check engine light, stalling, poor gas mileage, poor take off, poor battery life, battery dead in the morning, radio flickering and poping and crackling sounds..
  • goodernestgoodernest Member Posts: 1
    please someone help me now my cousins car quit working when i was in it with the lights on
    an o4 crystler pasifica i had the over heds on and was taking it apart a little bit i was trying to take apart the center councel and i put the key in and on and pressed the brake to so i could shift it i had the ( parking brake ) aplied so it wont role and then the lights started dimming and blinking and the dash bord went crazy and just started beeping kinda and i aint ben able to get it started yet and i dont think the battery went ded that quickly and o please help
  • totallyice1totallyice1 Member Posts: 2
  • totallyice1totallyice1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. When I turn on the front wipers, the car basically "reboots" itself; the electrical systems flash and the engine stalls for a sec. Only when I turn in the front wipers. I've checked the battery terminals and they are fine. Any suggestions?
  • glennbglennb Member Posts: 34

I was given an '04 AWD Pacifica last month, and knew that I would have to have some repairs done to keep it on the road. The possible showstopper is the lack of key-on check engine light - an automatic emissions test failure here in SE Wisconsin. I already have $1200 into this car, and the potential expense of diagnosing/repairing the light has me wondering if I should dump the vehicle before it costs me more than I am willing to commit. The vehicle passed a state of Georgia emissions test in March, and my daughter-in-law had been driving it until she left it with us in November. I did find a new, never installed o2 sensor in the rear under-deck compartment. I just wonder if anyone has had a problem where only the check-engine light doesn't work. All the other warning lights light up at key-on. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Glenn / Cudahy, WI

• wrnyhuisewrnyhuise Member Posts: 1

I have a 06 Pacifica and the other day the passenger side locks and windows stopped working. Upon arriving home and walking around the car i smelt burnt wires. I do not have the money to replace the BCM at the moment and also cannot go without the car. I am trying to figure out how to go about cutting all power to those systems on that side of the car. I know they are controlled through the BCM but not sure if i disconnect those wires from it if that will correct the short or if i have a constant power supply wire i need to locate as well. please help me.

• kittyb03774kittyb03774 Member Posts: 1

I had a problem with my dashboard completely lit up all the time and after 7 months of mechanics and the run around, I found a local old book mechanic that replaced my abs module as a whole unit instead of having to buy separate parts at a huge price tag. Instead of $1200, I only had to pay $350 for a used one that my mechanic took to be recoded with my vin # at the GM dealership. Also, I found out GM won't do anything about Pacifica's electrical problems until enough owners put their problem on www.carcomplaints.com Their representative says no recalls are issued until the problem becomes large enough to grab their attention...then fixes will be issued. So everyone write your complaints there and lets solve the problem once and for all!

• buckwheat19buckwheat19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Pacifica which I bought used with 9500 miles on it in 2006. Overall it has been a good car, but have had some of the headlight burnout problems mentioned here and did have to replace a window motor. I love the room and smooth ride. Currently have about 150K miles on it and would like to get at least another 50K.
    Here is what I need help with: the other day I came out of work to find four wires hanging from the bottom of the car. Was able to start and dive the car home about 12 miles. Seemed to drive fine, but have not driven it since. I cannot figure out what this is. Do not want to drive it or take it to a repair shop without knowing more about the issue? Can anyone give ne an idea of what this might be?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    Not without seeing them and their location under the car.
  • mrsd_114mrsd_114 Member Posts: 4

I have a 2005 Chrysler pacifica with the 3.8 v6 with 107,000 miles. Last week my cluster went dark and windshield wipers quit working. After check the fuses and cussing up a storm everything started to work again except for the check engine light. The local auto parts store hooked up their computer and gave me 2 codes U140 "Lost communication with body control module" and U110C "Lost fuel level message". I have searched the net for information but can't find anything. Is this gonna be a costly repair or is it just something that happens periodically? I would hate to have to buy another car since it is now paid for but I am really not inclined to drop a huge amount of money of fixing a car and then worry about being nickel and dimed to death. Any suggestion or repair guidance?

I'm having the same issues. Did you get the the answers you were looking for? Can you help me? Please email me [email protected] 
  • lindajean2lindajean2 Member Posts: 3
    All my dash lights went out today,everything works except I can't see how fast I'm going or how much gas I have
  • lindajean2lindajean2 Member Posts: 3
    Oh I have a pacifica 06
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737

All my dash lights went out today,everything works except I can't see how fast I'm going or how much gas I have

@lindajean2

I saw your question in the other thread. I will repeat my response here for you.

In the Pacifica, is the shift lever assembly still illuminated? Or the rear seat blower booster switch or the traction control switches? The schematic for the lamps in Mitchell doesn't actually reveal where the power source is, but the instrument cluster is the dominant module on the circuit. The three assemblies that I mentioned take power from the common lamp driver splice that connects all of the interior lighted assemblies and it passes through their illumination lamps and goes directly to ground, so if they light up then the power supply is intact. Every other module that lights up uses the serial data bus to command the intensity of the lamps that are powered from that same power supply. So if those first three do light up, then a scan tool will be required to test further. By chance do the radio, heater control, door switches etc. all light up and respond to the dimmer input?
  • JokalimaJokalima Member Posts: 1
    We have a 05 pacifica. The electrical stopped working. The windows won't roll down, the radio, a/c nothing on dashboard works all lights are on ( oil, break, belts etc..) whipers do not work. It runs but we have to shift the gear manually. Any ideas?