Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Silverado Turbo Problems

jreurekajreureka Member Posts: 1
edited August 2018 in Chevrolet
2006 Silverado LBZ turbo throwing code P003a...Had vane position sensor replaced and the vane control solenoid. Truck runs no different now that when new. Dealer insists I need a new turbo. I have put it off for 2 years, hoping to find someone that can actually tell me what is exactly the problem. I don't like remove and replace trouble shooting mechanics. I have heard there could be a computer software problem or a learning problem, Service engine light still on.

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The P003A DTC is activated when the ECM detects the position of the boost control arm (connected to the vanes), to be out of range.

In addition to a damaged boost control solenoid (lever stuck, broken, bent) you could have corrosion in some connector or ground, which would cause high electrical resistance and throw off the ECM. You might also have a basic wiring issue---abrasion, break, short). There could also be excessive soot in the turbo vanes--also exhaust leaks and, finally, a defective ECM itself.

There's really no way to diagnose this without a professional scanner and a technician who knows how to use it. They should verify the code, then probably erase it and hook up their diagnostic tools and capture live data to see what's happening. This is probably going to be one of those issues solved by the process of elimination.

So on your end, not much you can do except examine all the wiring and connectors carefully.

Probably you shouldn't be driving much until you can fix this. It's a fairly serious problem, or could turn into one.