Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

ignition coil replacement

lunalasslunalass VTPosts: 1
edited September 2018 in Subaru
I'm wondering if i have any recourse to the dealer on recent repairs.

I have 126,500miles on this Impreza Outback Sport. 5,000 miles ago on dealer's recommendation , I replaced head gasket, plugs and wires, when doing the timing belt. Now, check engine light came on and code indicated replacement of cylinder 3 wire. Compression test is good. They recommended replacement of ignition coil and plugs and wires which I have not done. Mileage is dropping dramatically now after a few days of driving (to 18 from 25).

Am I risking more damage by not replacing coil?
Should the dealer have seen this problem when replacing head gasket or during multi point inspection at 121,574 miles?
Should I have to pay for plugs and wires again?

Bit out of my depth here. Thanks for any insights.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    You should ask for the specific problem to be corrected--if #3 cylinder is misfiring, then that particular cylinder should be addressed. The coil can be inspected at this time but unless a crack or corrosion is present, you may find that a new wire corrects the issue.

One way to tell is to switch wires with another plug and then clear the code. If the CEL comes back on and shows a different cylinder misfire, you know it's the wire you switched.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here