Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Outlander Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    jjc335jjc335 Member Posts: 14
    I believe you can change the meter to give you an running total.
    It tells you how in the manual.
  • Options
    comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    I believe you can change the meter to give you an running total.
    It tells you how in the manual.

Read the manual closely. The standard is "automatic reset" (Resets automatically when the switch is not in the "on" position for 4 or more hours). But guess what: when you set it to manual it gets reset to "auto" the next time the ignition goes from acc or lock to on (you pass through these from "off"). Thus you are in a big loop. They got some good mushrooms for the engineers to consume at lunch at Mitsubishi (especially for the radio dial you can't read in daylight and the "up/down station buttons" on the steering wheel are the next as a scan would see it, not the next of your programmed favorites). Also, the service/oil reset interval that goes up, not reset, each time you do it (only the dealer is supposed to be able to correct this each oil change). Very frustrating, but I live with these nits.
  • Options
    Boy, what good is that. I don't understand the oil change reminder. Every time I get an oil change I reset it. So why does it change?
  • Options
    I don't know but Mitsubishi could take lessons from GM. On my wife's '06 Malibu when you reset it the oil displays % life left which is calculated by engine revolutions vs temp , so a reset puts it to 100% left and you watch the screen over time go down (it goes quicker in colder weather). You can still watch the odo if you wish,. but it works out to about 6000-7500 miles on average.
  • Options
    jillb2jillb2 Member Posts: 8
    My LS 2.4 litre petrol Outlander has 215/70R60 tryes, but the spare under the rear body is only T155/90D16, and only meant to run for a short distance.

Has anyone worked out how to replace the compact spare with a proper size wheel? ie can the attachments be modified to take the larger wheel?

regards,
    Jill (Nth Qld, Australia)
  • Options
    jillb2jillb2 Member Posts: 8
    Mitsubishi Australia, on their web site say that the Outlander is not suited to run on LPG. Can anyone please offer an explanation as to why this might be so?

regards,
    Jill

( Nth Qld, Australia)
  • Options
    cbk2000cbk2000 Member Posts: 8
    Just filled up for the first time since driving my new XLS off the lot, and got a VERY disappointing 17.9 mpg. I drive a pretty even mix of highway/city (probably 40/60) and was expecting to get between 22-25 mpg based on what I read here and talking to an owner and the dealer. It peeves me even more because I was going to buy an SE with the 4 cylinder engine for better fuel economy, but decided to get the V6 after reading/hearing about the V6's mileage. I really hope it's just breaking in and will improve.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    You should be getting more than that. It should definitely improve as the engine breaks in. Does the display show more than that? I've rarely got less than 20 MPG with suburban driving.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    Same here. Warm weather suburban driving @ 21.5 - 22 MPG. Winter (with warming up and bad road conditions) never less than 18 MPG. No highway driving. It is EPA rated 17/24 MPG, so I think it is OK. Just like everybody else, I wish it would make more, with fuel prices over $4.
    You should get better millage with time.
  • Options
    Is that what the V6 is rated at with the new ratings? 17/24? I was wondering what it was now. I know the 2007 was 20 city and maybe 27 highway. I never had a problem matching the old numbers but I guess if you have passengers, traffic, hills etc.....
  • Options
    costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    I just drove 278 miles in 95 degree heat to the Outer Banks of NC with the air on and loaded up with vacation stuff and 3 people and got just under 25 mpg. Most if not all was done at 60-65 mph . I have done similar trips alone and got close to 27 -28 mpg . What do you guys think??? When I drop below 64 , the mileage gets better , not a great differance .
  • Options
    biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    I just took a 160 mile round trip, averaged 26.9 mpg going 70-80 most of the time. 4WD XLS V6.
  • Options
    I can usually break 27 MPG on the freeway. I just drove to South Dakota from Wisconsin and back with the family. We drove over 2000 miles, loaded up and through the mountains. (The car did excellent.). We averaged about 25 MPG. The speed limits are 75 out there, too, and I tried to keep it under 80. ;)
  • Options
    2007 XLS 4WD was rated 19/26. I think those are the numbers you can expect in real life. Of course if you are spirited driver, drive every day in heavy traffic, with frequent stops or only very short trips you my not get even that. On my only long trip so far (750 miles) I just got 23 MPG, fully loaded and with strong cross wind. What I noticed, RPM around 2000 makes trip computer 26 MPG happy, and what kills it, is the cruise control with sudden surges in power after your car slows down with moderate traffic.
  • Options
    I notice as we got into South Dakota and the speed limits increased, the MPG went down. Which is the case in any vehicle. I noticed the same thing with the cruise, especially in hilly areas. With the cruise off, I could pick up speed on the down slope and let it slow down a bit on the uphill, so the car wouldn't downshift.

The cruise would maintain the set speed, and when you went up the hill, it would downshift to keep it up to speed.

We were impressed with how the car performed. Plenty of room, power, comfy seats for a long drive. Sattelite radio was great, too.
  • Options
    archquarkarchquark Member Posts: 14
    My wife uses Excel spreadsheet to keep track of her mileage as she has her own company for income tax purposes. Her 2007 Outlander XLS 4WD after 30,000 km when converted has an average of 26.67 MPG ( Imperial ). She has on several occasions gotten 30 to 31 MPG on a tankfull during warmer weather. We live in Ontario and are going to Prince Edward Island for our son's wedding next week, I will post mileage for each tankfull afterwards.
  • Options
    Well, I got 20.1 mpg on the second tank, so that was better than 17.9, but on the third tank it's looking like I'll come in under 20 again. Combine that with the smallish fuel tank and I'm still filling up every week like I did with my gas guzzling Explorer. I drive with the mpg meter display on all the time now, which makes me paranoid. I don't know if it's the hills around my house or what, but I'm pretty disappointed. I was really hoping for 22-25 with mixed driving. I probably should have got the 4 cylinder SE. Still holding out hope it will improve.

Is really hot weather supposed to hurt mileage, too? It's been pretty hot in the afternoons here (95-100 degrees).
  • Options
    adrenadren Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new Outlander SE at the end of May after doing alot of research here, there and everywhere. I just wanted to report my MPG's since there is little out there about the 4cy SE. I have been averaging 25 for almost every tank. Driving is 30/70 city/hwy.

I am completely happy with car. A little slow on takeoff but that has helped retrain my driving habits, which helps fuel economy. I love the extras that come with the SE. I can't believe there are not more on the roads, but that's alright, I like not having the same car as everyone else. :)
  • Options
    emiesemies Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my 2008 ES - I was told I can expect close to 30 on the highway and on my first tank it looks like I can exct closer to 20. This is making me unahppy to say the least...

Anyone out there with an ES that has any data they can share? Or any 2.4 Auto 4WD for that matter
  • Options
    rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    I just picked up my 2008 ES - I was told I can expect close to 30 on the highway and on my first tank it looks like I can exct closer to 20. This is making me unahppy to say the least...

Who told you that? Let me guess, probably the dealer? Because EPA estimates for your vehicle is 20/25mpg City/HW. So it's actually "as expected". Don't sweat it, it's just the first tank. From experience, it will improve over time, at probably about 3k-5k mi. But as they say, YMMV.
  • Options
    emiesemies Member Posts: 5
    Yes, well two actually and if you read through this forum there are people with the V6 reporting 27 on the highway, if my 4cyl doesn't at least match the v6 for highway miles there has to be a problem.

I will have to wait and see what happens over the next few months I guess...
  • Options
    You definitely can't judge by one tank. Especially the car's first tank. It should improve greatly over the first couple of thousand miles.
  • Options
    gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    From St Louis to Sevierville Tennesee and back.
    Total 1264 miles on 49.3 gallons of gas.
    I filled before starting and ending the highway drive.
    So eliminating the 229 miles (11.4 gallons) I drove around Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinberg and the Great smoky Mt Park leaves 1035 on 37.9 gallons of gas results in 27.3 MPG. Drove 65 to 70 MPH. Total miles on car is 19675. I use Motorcraft synthetic blend and change at 5000 mile intervals.
    XLS v6.
  • Options
    I'm just over 1000 miles on my XLS and have used 4 tanks of gas. On only one of those tanks did I get higher than 20 mpg, and that was 20.1. If I run errands on a weekend day instead of just commuting during the week it kills the mileage. I really hope it improves, but it's pretty discouraging so far. :( Otherwise I love the car.
  • Options
    I did't start getting good gas mileage until I had 5000 miles on the CUV.
  • Options
    malquinmalquin Member Posts: 1
    Just took possession of my new 2008 4cyl ES (with CVT) 3 weeks ago. So far, we drove 1200km (750 miles) with the new car.

On our 2 longest trips (150-200 miles each), one to the Adirondacks and another to the Laurentians, we did 7.4l/100km or 31.75mpg, driving at 55-60 mph.

So far, we're really really pleased with this result.

PS,
    Thanks to everyone contributing to this forum. The info obtained here was helpful in choosing to buy the Outlander.
  • Options
    archquarkarchquark Member Posts: 14
    The wife and I just returned from a trip to PEI last week for our son's wedding on July 12. Our 2007 4WD Outlander XLS V6 got the following MPG Imperial on each tank.
    July 7 28,97 MPG
    July 7 31.57 MPG
    July 7 31.67 MPG
    July 8 30.85 MPG
    July 8 28.74 MPG
    July 9 27.77 MPG
    July 14 26.28 MPG
    July 15 26.35 MPG
    July 16 30.65 MPG
    July 16 28.91 MPG
    July 19 26.20 MPG
    July 21 21.97 MPG
    July 21 29.11 MPG
    July 21 28.67 MPG
    July 22 31.13 MPG
    July 23 31.39 MPG
    July 23 29.30 MPG
    July 26 28.71 MPG
    Highest MPG was in Quebec on route 20 along St. Lawrence which is flat and straight. Lowest was through Appalachian mountains in New Brunswick and in town around Summerside. Those of you who drove through New Brunswick years ago remember the old two lane where you could not pass for miles, well it is gone replaced by a divided highway two lanes each way with a speed limit of 110 KPH. We drove a total of 5368 kilometers as we took some sidetrips on way back. Vehicle was loaded with luggage in cargo area and back seat was filled as well . Weather was between 24 to 31 degrees centigrade the whole time.
  • Options
    I just put in a K&N air filter about $50.00 And I am going to take another michigan trip this weekend About 400 MI. I can't wait to see if there is an improvement in gas mileage. I usually get 27 on these trips.
    I can tell you that air filter made a noticeable improvement in the acceleration
    It winds up quick. and it idles better too.
    I will post the results next week.
  • Options
    On my 2nd 750 mile trip, this time with fully loaded U-HAUL 7X4 trailer, average speed 70mpg, in AWD Auto mode, I got 21.5 MPG. I have Curt trailer hitch and OEM harness. V6 XLS Outlander pulled the trailer without the sweat.
  • Options
    biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    2007 XLS V6 4WD with 18,000 miles on it.

I just took a trip to Yosemite. Loaded with 4 people, camping gear, weather in the 90's so the AC was always on. Half the tank was on the highway at speeds of 70-80mph (speed limit is 70), the other half was on twisty 2-lane mountain roads at 35-45mph.

I went 350 miles on 13.5 gallons, so 25.9 mpg.

The Outlander performed great on the trip. Comfortable, plenty of room, crisp steering, handled well in the mountains, excellent brakes, the 6 speed auto was smooth going up and down hills, AC kept the cabin ice cold.
  • Options
    Pretty consistent to what I'm getting in my LS V6. While I've done a bit better in the past, this time I averaged 25.6 mpg on my weekend round trip to the 1000 islands from the Rochester NY area. My vehicle wasn't nearly as loaded though, just my wife and me with mostly the round trip miles with cruise set about 73 mph and some around town driving for the weekend with AC running .
  • Options
    Your trip sounds simalar to mine when we went to South Dakota. (Rushmore, Badlands, etc.) I don't remember the exact numbers, but we averaged around 25 MPG.

I actually expected more, seeing as I can get close to 30 in light freeway driving close to home, but when you figure the load, higher speeds, and mountain driving, it's pretty good.

We also found the Outlander to be an ideal vehicle to travel in.
  • Options
    Just got back from North Carolina. Roundtrip from St. Louis Mo.
    1972 miles on 73.6 gallons of gas = 26.79 MPG, including some around town driving. The last leg from Raleigh to St louis was 860 miles on 31 gallons of gas for 27.74 MPG. I used BG 44k in the gas @ 20,000 miles and BG MOA Inhibiter at the last oil change @ 20,000 miles. I have 23,759 miles on my 2007 XLS.
    Gas mileage is getting better.
  • Options
    deem2deem2 Member Posts: 3
    I took possession of my 2008 4cyls 2.4L 4WD ES 2 weeks ago. Now have close to 1000 miles on the Outlander. I would like to contribute some mpg data for 4cyls.

On longer trips (100- 120 miles each way ) the computer show the average mpg for the trip to be around 28 to 32 mpg.

Combine city/hyw calculated (gallons of gas /miles) is around 25+ mpg. 3 tanks of gas used so far.
  • Options
    captainkeelscaptainkeels Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jill, did anyone come back to you on this? I have a 2008 outlander and want to do the same thing. we got caught out the other day with a spiked tyre on a sunday (no tyre shops open) and running on the compact wheel isn't much fun...
    Thanks, Chris.
  • Options
    Heading to Houston (from St Louis) next week. Will give a report in third week of Feb. Have 26,000 miles of no repair driving. Love the car.
  • Options
    Bad news on mileage going to Houston on 2/11/09. Drove in rainstorm with 20 plus MPH winds from St Louis to Memphis and then a headwind from Memphis to Texarkana. After that from Texarkana to Houston and Houston to St Louis I acheived 26.6 MPH.
  • Options
    Big_AppleBig_Apple Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

What's the speed you use on those trips? I have a 4 Cylinder 2009 outlander SE. My normal drive is about 65/35 (hw/local). I can only get 22-23 mpg with careful driving. How much can you get on normal day driving? I usually drives at about 60-75 mph, which is not fast. I don't know how people can get such high milelage on outlander.

Any comments?

Lee
  • Options
    From Texarkana to Houston the speed varies since Route 59 has may towns and The speed varies as the speed limit varies. Through towns sometimes 35mph and on other stretches it is 70 MPH. Going with the flow. From Houston back to Texarkana the same. From Texarkana to Little Rock (140 miles) one has to drive 70 MPH to keep from getting run over on Interstate 30. I take State Route 67 from Little Rock to St Louis. Once again it varies, The first 80 miles North of LIttle Rock the Speed is 70 MPH. Then the speed is generally 60 MPH or less, ewith many small towns at 35 MPH, into Missouri. From the Border to I-55 the route is hilly (Ozarks) and generally 60 to 65 MPH. The last 40 miles is I-55 at 70 MPH.
    If one keeps under 65 MPH gas mileage is much better,
    I have a V-6. I use a synthetic blend oil and change every 5000 miles. I also add a can of BG MOA inhibiter in the oil every change. Around St Louis I get an average of 20 MPG. Thats with mixed intersateand local roads. Warm weather the mileage really improves.
  • Options
    Also look at my posts on #177 and # 187.
  • Options
    26.6 on the highway with wind and hills sounds about right. I get around 20 with city and suburban driving. (no interstate.) I usually average 26 or 27 tops on trips.
    2007 V6 AWD.
  • Options
    I have a 07 xls 4wd with 17k on it . I usually get 22-24 on highway most trips . Did a oil change and tire rotation and today I got 28 mph for the first time . I was doing 60 mph . I was excited !!
  • Options
    Our recent trip from Carbondale, IL to Chicago:
    We started with 68 F, calm weather, speed of 75 mph, and computer reading of 24 mpg. As temp. and weather condition were deteriorated, so was our millage. We reached Chicago 5 hours later, with temp readings in high 30 F and late season snow storm. Our millage readings dropped to 21.5 mpg. We will wait for really warm weather for our next trip.
  • Options
    deem2deem2 Member Posts: 3
    MPG report for 2008 Outlander 2.4L 4WD
    The fuel efficiency improves after 7500 miles
    MPG(US) for the last 10 consecutive tanks of gas:
    28.36*
    30.35*
    28.47*
    *Trips on the interstate at 65mph using cruise and air. The rest are 50/50 city/Hyw.
  • Options
    Looks like the 4 cyl. is good for about 3 MPG over the 3.0 V6. Sounds about right.
  • Options
    I have a 07 xls , 4 wd ,6cl and my highway mileage is between 28-30 mpg. I just hit 31 on a recent trip according to my trip computer. I am very happy with this , can I trust the computer???
  • Options
    I've found the computer to be fairly close, provided the readings you see are constant for a whole tank/trip

In my driving it varies a lot (between around town an highway). My best "peak" reading while on the highway has been 28MPG in my '07 LS V6 AWD.
    When I verified the total over the whole tank I averaged 26 on that tank. The only way for you to truly know is to compute it yourself by dividing the miles traveled between fill-ups by the gallons used over that time.
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Probably not..... My experience (not w/Mitsus) has been these computers are overly "optimistic" by at least 2-3 mpg.....Best bet is when you gas up - fill up and track the mileage over several tanks - those numbers don't lie (if you do the math cporrectly....eh, eh).

Still, your mileage seems pretty good.....
  • Options
    ark_royalark_royal Member Posts: 2
    I got 30 mpg driving from Columbia, MO to St. Louis, and 28 mpg driving back to Columbia, MO. The total distance is like 200 miles.
    Once I got 32 mpg driving next to St. Louis. It is Chesterfield.

*Everything calculated based on 90/10 Hwy/City, 65mph on Hwy.
    ** It is a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander LS, 3.0L V6 AWD
  • Options
    bengabenga Member Posts: 3
    Over a period of almost a year, this is how it looks like the fuel consumption on my LS 2009 3.0L V6:

In the following table, in the first "column" is the date of the reading, the second column is the fuel purchase, the third one represents the distance traveled since the last refueling and the last column is the fuel consumption per hundred kilometers.

Date Liters Km Consumption
    28-May-09/ 44.143/ 317.3/ 13.91
    7-Jun-09/ 42.015/ 318.7/ 13.18
    14-Jun-09/ 40.48/ 324.4/ 12.48
    21-Jun-09/ 43.429/ 338.2/ 12.84
    9-Jul-09/ 40.2819/ 382.2/ 10.54
    11-Jul-09/ 49.288/ 395.7/ 12.46
    16-Jul-09/ 47.42/ 384.5/ 12.33
    19-Jul-09/ 29.556/ 272.9/ 10.83
    27-Jul-09/ 50/ 422.1/ 11.85
    1-Aug-09/ 45.835/ 404.5/ 11.33
    9-Aug-09/ 29.77/ 219.3/ 13.58
    14-Aug-09/ 47.2971/ 476.1/ 9.93
    19-Aug-09/ 46.938/ 346.4/ 13.55
    21-Aug-09/ 48.9029/ 509.6/ 9.60
    29-Aug-09/ 45.7505/ 513.3/ 8.91
    31-Aug-09/ 41.314/ 389.8/ 10.60
    11-Sep-09/ 48.45/ 470.4/ 10.30
    18-Oct-09/ 47.609/ 380.9/ 12.50
    6-Nov-09/ 49.678/ 404.3/ 12.29
    15-Nov-09/ 47.89/ 368.6/ 12.99
    30-Dec-09/ 45.547/ 282.4/ 16.13
    17-Jan-10/ 48.481/ 317.5/ 15.27
    7-Feb-10/ 48.069/ 299/ 16.08

As you can see, during the cold months the consumption increased.

Still satisfied by my Outlander.