Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Forester very low mileage how often oil change?

Nate4x4Nate4x4 Member Posts: 8
edited November 2018 in Subaru
I have just over 11,000 miles on my 2015 Forester. I use synthetic oil. Last oil change was 14 months ago. I have driven 1100 miles since then. Most miles are 5-10 miles with an occasional 150 mile trip (twice yearly). How often should I get oil and filter changed?

Comments

• Options
    Nate4x4 said:

I have just over 11,000 miles on my 2015 Forester. I use synthetic oil. Last oil change was 14 months ago. I have driven 1100 miles since then. Most miles are 5-10 miles with an occasional 150 mile trip (twice yearly). How often should I get oil and filter changed?

I'm asking this question for someone else.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Nate4x4 said:

Everything I read says once per year.

That seems excessive for 1000 miles, but I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure on a such an outlier of use.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you for your reply. I think I will be safe and take it in now.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    You actually need to be very careful with short trips and infrequent driving. The engine will not reach full operating temperature in order to boil off contaminants that can degrade the engine oil. Fortunately you are using a synthetic base stock oil which is more resistant to crankcase acids and the additive packages serve to neutralize the acids which helps protect the engine. If you read the directions from the oil manufacturers the typical recommendation will be one year and even though the oil may look nice and clean that should not be over extended since once the oil's ability to control crankcase acid production is depleted, the oil can fail in just a few hundred miles.