Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can the passenger side airbag sensor be modified to leave the airbag ON all the time?

Ex_2018HyundaiLoverEx_2018HyundaiLover Member Posts: 1
edited January 2019 in Hyundai
To be comfortable on longer trips, my wife needs to sit on a pillow, which promptly deactivates her airbag. Tried to get this sorted out with the dealer and with Hyundai Customer Care directly, but no luck: The only response I get is to buy a 'top of the line' model with a fully adjustable passenger seat (but without any assurance that we won't have the same issue. There has GOT to be a way to have that airbag activated all the time. HELP!!

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think there is a workaround and I'm sure no repair shop or technician in his right mind would risk the liability of trying to work around it.

Either she has to give up the cushion, or make sure she's buckled in tightly and do without an airbag.

I don't think another type of seat would solve the issue either. I suppose you could run a test with a higher trim line vehicle but generally the sensors in the seat are not designed to detect additional cushioning.