Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

EyeSight in light snow doesn't work (probably doesn't matter which vehicle)

movin_on_upmovin_on_up Member Posts: 8
edited February 2019 in Subaru
We purchased the Crosstrek a few months ago. We don't go in for upgrades but Eyesight at our age now seemed like a decent option. Problem: In light snow, it just doesn't work. Spouse just said if she knew it wouldn't work in bad weather, it's a useless option and we would've saved $2k + extra extended insurance (something else we've NEVER bought). Unfortunately, I agree.

Does anyone have any idea if we can be proactive to keep the cameras clear or is this just a feature to ignore in bad weather? I believe Subaru could have some sort of defrosters on the cameras to keep them working. In the meantime, we feel stuck.

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315

We purchased the Crosstrek a few months ago. We don't go in for upgrades but Eyesight at our age now seemed like a decent option. Problem: In light snow, it just doesn't work. Spouse just said if she knew it wouldn't work in bad weather, it's a useless option and we would've saved $2k + extra extended insurance (something else we've NEVER bought). Unfortunately, I agree.

Does anyone have any idea if we can be proactive to keep the cameras clear or is this just a feature to ignore in bad weather? I believe Subaru could have some sort of defrosters on the cameras to keep them working. In the meantime, we feel stuck.

We've had our Outback with Eyesight for 4 years. What part of Eyesight are you saying doesn't work? Lane assist? Dynamic cruise control? Collision avoidance?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    The best I can say for now is my partner said the equivalent :) of EyeSight on the driver and passenger side mirrors (the lights that flash) didn't show any cars nearby or passing the car. Something else didn't work but she can't explain it.

What you just let me know is I better figure this out before I take it to the Subaru dealer to check out. I don't drive much but I need to get it out in bad weather. I do know it wouldn't be collision avoidance or I would've heard about that.

I'll update this when we go through the next onslaught of bad weather. You live in Colorado, so I can safely assume you've been okay with it.
  • Options
    Michael: Partner & I got further. The only issue she had was the side mirror light strips not identifying cars nearby as they do in clear weather. You live in snow country. Does this happen to you? Thanks.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315

Michael: Partner & I got further. The only issue she had was the side mirror light strips not identifying cars nearby as they do in clear weather. You live in snow country. Does this happen to you? Thanks.

I'll be honest - I'm not in the Outback all that often, and even less when there is poor weather.

You're talking about the blind spot monitoring? I can see where that might be affected with poor visibility.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4