Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Navigation

Comments

• Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Are there any demo videos online showing the nav system and voice commands in use?
  • Options
    elewkelewk Member Posts: 1
    Navigation Update Version 4.62 for the Accord specifically addresses the changes in Daylight savings time along with some map updates.
  • Options
    royaltyroyalty Member Posts: 27
    Nav in my brand new 2008 Accord failed after less than 500 miles. Locks up, wont work. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    2008 Accord had Nav fail 10/31/07. Went into Honda that morning and made appointment to bring in for diagnosis on 11/3. They determined head unit is bad and ordered a new one. I did not hear back from Honda so I called them on 11/12. They called me back to say they hope it will be in by 11/24 and they will call me when it's in so I can come in to have it replaced.

Luckily the radio still plays most of the time.
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    4.62 is a problematic version. There is a reason why Alpine is suspending sales to non dealers. A new version will be re released next year under a new version. That version will fix all the bugs. People have had their navi crash or have problems when updating to this version. The 6.62 update for civic and CR-V have no problems. Same for the 2.50 and 3.70 updates for older cars.
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for the heads up. I have an '04 Accord Sedan w/ Nav and would like to update my disc. I'll be getting the 3.70 update soon, but will wait until 12/3/2007 because I just saw this on their site:

"2007 Update is now available.

Special sale coming soon!! Beginning 12/3/2007 and for a limited time, the new 2007 update will be offered at a discounted price of $149."

What's the final word on making a back up copy of your disc? I don't anticipate any problems, but I'd like to keep a back up of something like this since I'm going to be dropping so much cash on it. I have a dual layer DVD burner as well as dual layer DVDs.
  • Options
    I'm curious on what Honda owners are doing about this. I myself have an '04 Accord w/ Nav and just bought a 07 Accord w/ Nav for my wife. Neither of our cars have aux jacks (unlike my father's '07 CRV), but I would like to put one in for both of us. My complication is that I have a factory installed Tape Player in my car.

I'm curious on after doing the aux install, does the Navi sense and give you an "aux option"?
  • Options
    Is this related to the 4.62 problem?
    I like integration and voice commands, but it's a lot of money to spend and still deal with problems since my portable works well and has traffic service that's very handy at commute times.
    It would be annoying to have to give up traffic, spend all that money of factory nav and deal with these failures too.
    I would have the luxury of complete integration, but lose the benefit of automatic routing around freeway traffic jams. For $2k you shouldn't have to give up anything.

My portable nav has bluetooth and I can plug it in to the aux jack to play mp3s plus hear the speakerphone and nav over the car stereo speakers.
    Storing the unit out of sight or taking it with me when parking to prevent theft is a bit of hassle.
    My next portable will probably be phone-based and that will eliminate the storage issue since I'll have the phone with me all the time anyway.
    There are even cell-phone based navs that have traffic service now and Honda didn't put it in the Accord factory nav.

Maybe next year's iPhone will have GPS navigation built-in. Phone, iPod, web browser and GPS that's always with you would be nice.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Special sale coming soon!! Beginning 12/3/2007 and for a limited time, the new 2007 update will be offered at a discounted price of $149."

Hmmm, if 4.62 has issues and a fix is coming in January, I'm not sure that it would be worth saving $50. I wonder how serious the problems are.
  • Options
    I'm curious on after doing the aux install, does the Navi sense and give you an "aux option"?

I believe there are messages that will answer your question here: Honda Accord Audio Questions.
  • Options
    dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    This is very possible...it was brought up a few months ago. The best bet is the USAspec ipod interface, which has an ipod input and a separate AUX input. It's available on crutchfield and handa accessories.
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Thats when they are going to release it but could be later. It fixes the freezing. Only 2006 and up accords use this version. Thats when they did the facelift. The facelift included the updated navi.

Basically the 3.70 update is being sold at a discount. Only get this if you have a 2003-2005 accord. So it's not that bad. A 3.70 disc wont work in a 4.x navi system so thats why. Dont do vice versa. Only get what your car needs.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    That's makes sense then. I haven't gone to the website to check anything out. The previous poster said that the 07 update would be on sale so I was reacting to that. I figured that was a reference to the 4.62 update.
  • Options
    OK. I called the dealer as driving with a bad Navigation unit was really started to piss me off and I felt they should have had a replacement unit received by now. The nav would freeze up at any time and if it froze at night and the screen went to daylight mode it was like a flashlight shining at your face that you could not shut off. They originally told me it could be 3 weeks but the dealer called and complained to California and they had a new unit by that Friday so it was two weeks of waiting for a new unit. The new unit was installed the very next day and they did a great job. You would not know the dash was worked on and they knocked it out in 1.5 hours. I will reserve full comments until summer when I will know if I have any new squeaks and rattles but until then I am pleased. The new navi works fine and now my bluetooth works all the time both calling out and receiving and transferring calls. I struggled with it before this and I now know it was because the unit was failing.
  • Options
    Got my new Ver 3.70 Navi Disc for my Accord. I still would prefer to make a copy of the disc and put that in my car and keep this original in my house in case something goes wrong. After all, this is a $150+ DVD.

Any advice on how and if I can use a copy of this navigation DVD in my Accord? Preferably using a Mac.
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    For the price they charge for the DVDs, you can bet they use a serious copy protection.

Mrbill
  • Options
    The disc should be fine. Some companies allow you to swap scratched media for an identical replacement for a nominal fee, but there should be no reason for it to ever get scratched if you never touch it.
  • Options
    divadonnadivadonna Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I bought a 2007 Honda Accord w. Navi in Jan 07. I understand that I can buy an update on the web for 07 however there is a more recent one only available to the dealer. I called the dealer and they didn't know what I was talking about. If a 2008 is close to being out I'd rather wait for it. Can anyone help me with this? Also, where do I find what version my nav is?
    Thanks
    Donna :confuse:
  • Options
    I dont think you should update your disc already. I just updated my '04 Accord w/ Nav disc a few weeks ago - I don't plan to update the disc in my wife's 2007 Accord w/ Nav for another few years.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I agree. The discs are pretty pricey - not worth replacing every year. I have a portable unit myself with 2005 maps, and will probably update it for 2008/9. It's only $80 for me, Honda charges $149 I think.
  • Options
    It's my understanding that the only place you can get updated DVDs is online, or by calling an 800 number.

You can check the version you have by ejecting the DVD and looking at the revision printed on it.

Mrbill
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You can check the version on the navigation system's setup screen.
  • Options
    medicmelmedicmel Member Posts: 8
    I have a 03 Honda Accord EX and I just purchased the 2007 DVD for a discounted price of 149.95. The DVD in the car was a 2002.
  • Options
    2002 sounds like a date on the DVD, not the revision number. The number should look more like 3.20, 3.30 etc, with an A/B/C/D following the numbers.

Mrbill
  • Options
    96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    Just bought a 2007 Accord EX-L w/NAVi and enjoy the voice commands but where is the Bluetooth pairing instructions? Surly, Honda did not put such a nice nav system with voice activated software and forget to make it compatible with a Bluetooth phone. :confuse: Anyone know if it can be upgraded to Buletooth compatible? Geeez.

Oh, and in the Honda Navigation System manual page 2 "System Operation" para 2 they forgot to mention that the 24 satellites are operated an maintained by the United States Air Force. :shades:
  • Options
    You should not have bought the car and assumed it had bluetooth.
    Bluetooth is new for 2008 models.
    The 2007 cannot be upgraded. There are 3rd party bluetooth add-ons you can get that can be connected to the stereo and require professional installation or you can get a portable device that isn't connected to the stereo..
  • Options
    96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    You are absolutely correct. I got a great deal and have no regrets. If I was buying a new Accord, I don't think I would opt for the nav system Bluetooth or not. There are so many portables for well under a grand and they seem to be able to out pace the auto manufacturers on capability.

The built in system is a nice feature and fun to play with. Just kind of odd that I can talk to it and not to anyone else.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Yes, the '08 top Accord gets NAVI & bluetooth. I have set up bluetooth & everything.
  • Options
    I have read a few posts around the internet of people complaining the bluetooth volume is poor with both parties having a little bit of difficulty hearing each other over driving noise. Have you noticed this?
  • Options
    I got the disc, but hadn't got around to popping it in my Accord yet. I just finally made the backup using my Mac Mini and external Lacie Dual layer DVD burner (it's a dual layer DVD). I used Disk Utility to burn a CD / DVD master image and used Disk Utility to burn the image as well. I don't want to take a chance on putting the copied DVD in so I'll put the original in and keep this backup handy in case anything ever goes wrong.
  • Options
    It will be interesting IF the Navi system plays your backup DVD. Keep us posted.

Mrbill
  • Options
    Yes, the bluetooth volume is about average. It's not that great.
  • Options
    haha.. I want to Mr. Bill.. I'm just scared as to what the Navi would do if it doesn't like the disc.
  • Options
    plinaplina Member Posts: 61
    I'm looking at an 08 accord with navi, but I'm shocked about the price. I'm coming of a lease on a 2006 M35X and for the $2000 I got bluetooh, and rear view camera with the navi.
    Honda is charging $2200 for the navi with blue tooth and if you want rear view camera that's an extra $450 plus installation I find this ridiculous. What makes this navi better than the nissan navi to pay all this extra money?
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Reliability!
    I don't know. but I like it very much. It works great and has lots of added features (no traffic report, though).
  • Options
    It could be better but I think it is acceptable. On the plus side, it keeps your volume setting for the bluetooth in the memory apart from your volume setting for the stereo so you don't have to re-adjust every time.
  • Options
    plinaplina Member Posts: 61
    Never had a problem with the Infiniti navigation and I have had it in two cars since 2003. The Infiniti Navi has also a geat feature call birds eye view does the Honda have it? Birds eye is like 3d everything is in front of you like you are walking not like the ones I have seen that look like a map.
    Reliability is fine but the price is steep, I'm leaning towards a Germin and saving a couple of thousand.
  • Options
    oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    The Honda Accord Navi does not have the 3-D view like the Garmin's do. However, I think the Honda Navi is quite nice. I use the Garmin in my Odyssey. There are things about each that I like.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Is it worth it to get the navigation in the 08 accord? Should I go ahead get the option on my next lease?
  • Options
    The worth to you may depend on your type of driving. If you stay in the same areas, drive the same roads most of the time and don't travel much outside of your town, it may not be worth it to YOU. You may find that the ability to control your climate control, and audio systems in addition to the navigation system, using voice commands, may be worth the cost too.

I love the navigation system in my 2004 Accord but chose not to equip my wife's 2008 Accord EX-L with it. Our pocketable Garmin nüvi 350 does a fine job of navigating. I do miss the voice controls when I'm in her car though.

If you are planning to lease, figure that you will be financing about another $1,700 (not the $2,000 list price) since it would be part of the overall negotiated sell price of a vehicle before bringing up the subject of leasing.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Ya, I am going to put some money down a the next lease, but only because I do want a lower payment for the 36mths. I feel if I am going to trade in for another lease, I might as well get what I want, and might opt to own this one, when the lease is over.

But, if I get the EX-L without navi, than I can get one for a great deal. Perhaps even pay less for that, than my current lease. I wish I could just take one with Navi out, without the dealer, and really see if I would want to have the navi. I do stay in town alot, and don't travel out of town too often, so really, it might be the bling factor for me, but that often gets you in trouble..lol
  • Options
    discount80discount80 Member Posts: 27
    The 1st day I had the car the screen automatically switched to my nightime selected colors for both the menu and the map once it was dark out. Now it is not doing that anymore and I have to do it manually with the button. Anyone know how to set it to automatic? The manual isnt helpful. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    If the 2008 system is like my 2004, the display should change when you turn your headlights on or off.
  • Options
    On my 04 Accord, in one of the setup screens, there is a setting to select if you want the display to "AUTO DIM" with the headlights or not.

I have also found that if you turn the dash display brightness knob all the way to the brightest end (it has a small click when you turn it that far) that overrides the AUTO DIM in the Navi display and keeps it in the "DAYTIME" setting.

I don't know how this compares to the 08 Navi system.

Mrbill
  • Options
    THe 08 Accord has those features as well. Additionally, it has a switch on the dash-board that lets you switch to day or night mode or even turn the screen off quickly.
  • Options
    zuffyzuffy Member Posts: 6
    It will work. When I got my 2006 Accord, I made a DVD copy of the disc. Used it for the first 2 months then went back to the original. The DVD drive was reading the original disc a bit better in the freezing winter in NYC.
  • Options
    buyahomebuyahome Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone had any problems with their Navigation being "way off" and "be on the wrong street" or "in the woods" and then jumping back to almost 100% accuracy? I have had this issue for the last 6 months. The Honda dealer has ordered a new DVD, but I have been waiting for it to arrive for months. They were nice enough to "cover it" under warranty, but to date they are "still waiting for it to arrive". I replaced my battery and thought the issue had been resolved...but two days later no luck. Any thoughts? I am very familiar with how it works. I test drove it with the dealer's service manager (an excellent service department by the way) and they admit something is wrong. Anyone else? When it works properly it is AWESOME! A must for any new car in my mind.
  • Options
    Does the "way off" your seeing repeat itself when driving in the same location? If yes, then I would suspect the information on the DVD is off, if it does not repeat, then I would suspect the system itself has a problem.

You can also check to see if the system is synced to the satellites by using the diagnostics screen. It needs to be connected to at least 3 satellites for it to be accurate in it's location. There is no indication unless your in the diagnostic screen that shows if your actually being guided by GPS or not. The system does limp along by using other inputted data if it can't sync up, but that has greater error.
    One of my earlier posts tells how to get to the diagnostic screen.

My 04 has synced up to as many as 9 satellites at one time.

Hope this helps,

Mrbill
  • Options
    I've had this happen a few times.. where I was way off and then it fixed on it's own. But it's just happened a few times in the history of my 2004 Accord Sedan.
  • Options
    I dont know why my V6 EX-L Navi misses my command "Temperature 70 degrees". It sets to other temprature instead.