Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Accord Navigation

Comments

• Options
    cwboskencwbosken Member Posts: 2
    My Navi in my 08 Accord has both the male and the female voices.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    "...My Navi in my 08 Accord has both the male and the female voices.."

That is very interesting since mine does not and also the owner's manual indicates so. Also, on the Alpine website it says that the new versions only have the female voice. Could you check and let me know what version of the software your car has and also what page on the menu gives you that option? Thanks.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Should have both voices and owner chooses male or female voice.
  • Options
    Viet, have you seen the options on your screen? are you actually able to select the male or female voice on your 08 Accord navi?
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Paviz, my buddy,

May be I am confused with my '05 hybrid navi. Sorry. I like female voice better.
  • Options
    deaner1971deaner1971 Member Posts: 4
    Having the exact same problem (system continuously resets). Unfortunately, it starts out as intermittent and grows more and more regular. My system virtually never loads now. It just continuously recycles the Honda logo or it goes black.

Anyone know a way to get out of this loop (I have abandonded hope of the NAV system ever working again and the amount quoted to me was $4400 and for a 2003 it isn't worth it)? I just want to get my AC and audio controls back.

By the way, whoever designed the system so that a bad NAV would disable your audio and AC controls is a fool.
  • Options
    raspegraspeg Member Posts: 8
    Just bought a EX-L V6 with Nav and plan on getting it tinted at the dealer as they threw it in to make the deal. Question is the manual says metallic tint reduces the GPS signal strength. Does anyone know if this really happens?
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    The GPS antenna is below the rear window, so I would have to believe what the manual says.

Mrbill
  • Options
    Adding to what you said...and depending on where you live, the GPS antenna reception is not great to begin with.
  • Options
    raspegraspeg Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have experience with the new Ceramic tinting I've read about on the net. Seems like the way to go in todays cars with all the wireless signals being sent and received ie GPS, cell, radar, XM, HD etc
  • Options
    efferseffers Member Posts: 25
    Hello all,

23 year old male, looking to purchase my first vehicle and am very interested in the Accord Coupe EX-L V6 MT. I am wondering, though, if the Navi is worth it. I have always been technologically inclined but was wondering if the extra 2-3k is wisely spent on this upgrade? What do you accord owners think?

Also, does the Navi have the reverse camera like other vehicles with nav?

Thanks!
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    No Navi...buy a portable unit, can spend as little as a 100 bucks.
  • Options
    csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    I agree, save the $$$ and get a portable Navi. I got a great factory refurb Gamin for $200 from edgegps.com, great little unit and I can switch it back and forth between my car and motorcycle, or take it in the rental car when traveling...
  • Options
    I am mainly intrigued by the ability of the navi unit to integrate with the car speakers -- is this easily possible with the external gps units? Any other features with the navi unit that integrates well with the car itself?

Thanks for the replies guys.
  • Options
    I'm not aware of any integration capabilities into the speakers. That's a pretty steep premium to get 'integration'.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Are you sure he doesn't just mean getting the directions through the speakers, so that you don't have to adjust your stereo volume? That's what I thought he meant. The car has voice activated features and bluetooth, things which don't come on non-navi models. That being said, If I were still inclined to go with NAVI and didn't mind paying some money, I'd go with a high-end Garmin unit.

Something like this:
    Garmin Nuvi 760
    $499
    -Bright, backlit 4.3" color WQVGA LCD screen for easy navigation
    -Preloaded base maps of North America with more than 6 million points of interest and up to 500 user-programmable waypoints; WAAS-enabled
    -Secure Digital media card slot lets you add additional storage (media card not included)
    -Route planning feature automatically arranges destinations to provide multiple routes to your destination, including shortest route; trip log saves up to 10,000 specified points for easy reference and trip review
    -Speed limit indicator conveniently keeps you aware of speed limits on interstates and highways
    -Text-to-speech and turn-by-turn voice prompts capability provides convenient voice guidance, so you can keep your eyes on the road while navigating
    -Built-in FM transmitter lets you stream turn-by-turn voice prompts over your car stereo
    -Built-in media player lets you jam to your favorite music, listen to audiobooks or view photos on the go
    -Travel assistant tools include world clock, language guide, currency converter and and calculator
    -Built-in Bluetooth technology lets you make convenient hands-free calls using your nüvi (cell phone with Bluetooth capability required, not included)
    -FM traffic receiver (included) lets you receive real-time traffic updates via your car stereo's FM frequency -Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 5 hours of power
    Includes DC adapter, USB cable and base map software

Also, keep in mind, very good models are available for well under $200.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,668
    That's a nice unit.

My biggest beef with my Garmin (300 series) is the mount. I'm always replacing it because its effectiveness really diminishes pretty quickly.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    So does that mean that you don't listen to music while you are driving, you have your radio tuned to FM garmin, just waiting for it to tell you when to turn...whenever that comes along?

I really don't see the practical benefit of this.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I'm going to buck the trend here. I know from a practical standpoint that a stand alone unit is cheaper initially and cheaper to upgrade. However, the factory unit is pretty sweet. I've used both and find the navi on my 06 Accord to be worth every penny.... for me.

I like the large screen, the voice activated controls, the integration with the radio/climate control and the other features, like calendar, calculator, trip computer, etc. I also don't have to haul the thing out of my car or leave it in and worry about theft.

I believe that a reverse camera is available in the Accord but not standard with the navi.

It was sad to see the touch screen missing from the 08 but it does have bluetooth that the older versions don't have.
  • Options
    Yes, I am most interested in the "integration" of the whole system with everything in the car rather than a separate device sitting on the dashboard. I guess this comes at a premium....

Also, is it possible to have Bluetooth without the Navigation?
  • Options
    Yes, I am most interested in the "integration" of the whole system with everything in the car rather than a separate device sitting on the dashboard. I guess this comes at a premium....

It's funny how different things appeal to different people. There are three Accords in my household, and all have navigation capability. Just plug it up, mount it, and it has it! :)

Actually I've been meaning to take a picture of where my NAVI sits in my 2006 Accord (where it stays typically). It is plugged up in the console, the excess cord is between the passenger seat and the console/transmission tunnel. It isn't suctioned to the windshield, but rather is sitting in the storage bin under my stereo/climate controls. When I don't want it seen, I just unplug the cord from the front of the mounting bracket and close the storage bin door. The cord is well-hidden and if a thief did see it they'd likely suspect a cell-phone charger cord.
  • Options
    Also, is it possible to have Bluetooth without the Navigation?

Yes, they offer it as an accessory and call it Bluetooth HandsFreeLink. Go to the following link and then click on Accessories: Electronics. Accord 09 Accessories

It's pretty pricey. I do know that others have posted aftermarket products but I can't remember where I saw it on Edmunds.
  • Options
    My daughters portable GPS Garmin unit, lives in the storage area immediately ahead of the gearshift (Camry, with flip up storage area door). Inside the storage area, is one of the power outlets and the mp3 aux-in connector. It comes on automatically when she starts the vehicle, and she'll just normally leave it in the storage area as it is easy to glance down to see. No exposed wiring. When she parks, she just shuts the storage flip up door.

For longer trips, or going to some totally unknown location where she wants to actively view the screen in addition to listening to the turn instructions, she'll use either the vent mount, or the windshield suction mount to get it more at eye level. She actually leaves the empty vent mount connected all the time, with a pad of paper and pencil on it. Takes less than a minute to move the GPS to either the vent mount....or to connect on the suction mount and put it on the windshield.

Very easy to move this to any of our other vehicles, as well.

We got it for her as a gift on sale for just over 100 bucks (when she got her drivers license), and this could not be an easier arrangement. Paying a couple hundred or thousands for a built in or more integration....seems 'not worth it' to me. But, to each his/her own.

On the other hand......when we are taking the Suburban for family vacations (I have it set up as a mobile office w/laptop, power, internet card, etc)....I run Microsoft Streets and Trips which has a USB GPS sensor. We then have a huge laptop screen with fullsize mapping, tracking, and road/facility details. This is far beyond anything you could display on a smaller portable or even built in Navigation unit. It's not for everyone, but with my job I need to be continually connected and availalble anyhow....so might as well use it for Navigation as well. I don't exactly remember the prices for Streets/Trips, but IIRC it's about a hundred or less for the software w/GPS package. I've run this for probably 7-10 years or so, first version I had modified my boat portable GPS unit to connect into the serial port of the laptop, to work with the mapping program. The current release with it's integrated USB GPS sensor is a piece of cake to use.

For general consumption and ease of use, in my opinion, you can't beat the currently available portable GPS units. A very good price/performer. I think car manufacturers are going to have to either make it a standard feature, or get the option price point substantially lower.....or they are going to go the way of the dinosaurs. Heck, you almost have to spend more for any manufacturers map updates, then it cost you to buy a brand new portable which would contain the new maps.
  • Options
    Actually I've been meaning to take a picture of where my NAVI sits in my 2006 Accord (where it stays typically). It is plugged up in the console, the excess cord is between the passenger seat and the console/transmission tunnel. It isn't suctioned to the windshield, but rather is sitting in the storage bin under my stereo/climate controls. When I don't want it seen, I just unplug the cord from the front of the mounting bracket and close the storage bin door. The cord is well-hidden and if a thief did see it they'd likely suspect a cell-phone charger cord.

I would definitely like to see pics, if you don't mind!

Since one of the above posters mentioned that Bluetooth is an available separate option, the Navi is much less appealing now as one of the main reasons were to have the bluetooth functionality. I may opt for the EX-L minus navigation and add the bluetooth handsfreelink accessory. Now to decide on colour (Red or Black) and engine (I4 or V6)!!!!
  • Options
    There's a rumor (can't remember where I saw it) that the Nav disk in the trunk actually has a slot to plug in a memory card. If anyone knows, is it capable of playing music files I put on a memory card? Has anyone tried this?

If so, can I control those files via the OSD?
  • Options
    As soon as I get the opportunity I will try and get a picture for you!
  • Options
    It's not a rumor, its true. The slot is only for servicing the Navi system. The slot serves no other function.

Mrbill
  • Options
    mrbill....thanks. Wishful thinking on my part to be able to put all my music on a memory card and have it play through the stereo. I like being able to plug my iphone in with the AUX. Would be nice to be able to control the music through the stereo, though.

That's not to be, though.
  • Options
    If you can see in the pictures (the bottom one shows it best), the NAVI charger cord plugs into the front. When I want to close it off, I unplug from the front of the NAVI base and set the cord in between the seat (where it is already routed as seen in pic 2 and 3). It is plugged in inside my console, so it isn't obvious that some electronics are plugged in inside the car. Hope this helps!!!

• Options
    Thanks thegraduate. I just need to confirm now that I can add the bluetooth handsfreelink without the navi pkg in Canada!
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Accord Hybrid has a nav system with the original DVD. I use voice directions rarely so I leave the setting OFF and occasionally press the VOICE button to hear an instruction.

Yesterday while driving the voice directions came on all the time. I can switch between the male and female voice, but cannot turn them off. Changing the voice setting from OFF to ON then back OFF did not help.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

AlanB :confuse:
  • Options
    That's a strange one, Alan. Sorry I can't help. :confuse:
  • Options
    RF_BurnsRF_Burns Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at purchasing an '05 with the NAV system built into the dash.

Does anyone know if it's easy/hard/impossible to update the map information contained in it?

Many thanks,

RF
  • Options
    You simply buy a disc from Honda with updated maps. I beleive they are between $100 and $150. Contact a dealer for more info.

Good luck car-shopping. I have an '06 and love it!

TheGrad
  • Options
    RF_BurnsRF_Burns Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a '98 with almost 200k on the clock that I bought new in September of the year.

I'm coming up on needing another timing belt, and brakes. I'm trying to find a reason to part with it and buy a new(er) one, and I can't. I still get rated mileage and the A/C has never needed a charge.

The only time it ever gave me a problem was when the original alternator quit at 70-something thousand miles. The 'lifetime' alternator I got at a Tires Plus set me back 4 bills, but it's lasted over 120k.

I was lucky enough to show a 'catalytic converter' code at 79,500 miles at a dealership - and got a free one out of the deal. If it had happened 501 miles later, it would have cost me $800.

I'm a little disappointed in the cost of the data...I can buy a new Tom Tom for $100 - and take it with me if/when I ever trade my next Accord.

Hondas - and in particular, Accords - are amazing cars - I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    deaner1971deaner1971 Member Posts: 4
    Here is the link to the Alpine DVD store where you can buy the updated DVD:

https://store.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

A little under $200.
  • Options
    kene2700kene2700 Member Posts: 3
    I have great news to share! I purchased my Accord at the Honda Superstore in Lisle, Illinois. When my Navi system started to have problems they sent me to Honda of Lisle to get it checked out. Both dealerships are owned by the same people. One of the guys in the parts department found a way to repair the Navi head unit for around $1,100. It was sent out and I had to wait over three months to get it back. The head unit has been installed over 5 months ago and is working great with no issues at all.

I want all of you to know that I purchased this car used from the Superstore with almost 92,000 miles on it. The general manager was so confident on the car they gave me a free 3 month limited powertrain warranty along with the purchase. A week later the Navi system started to act up and I knew this would not be covered under the powertrain warranty. To make a long story short...John Mahoney (service manager) from Honda of Lisle took care of the bill and sent me on my way.

I couldn't believe it...I was speechless. I will buy my next Honda from them again without thinking twice.

So for all of you out there with Navi problems...look up the dealership and get more info.

I hope this thread will help you out.
  • Options
    sew3663sew3663 Member Posts: 5
    Where is there a list of all of the voice commands (08 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan)? I've flipped through the navigation booklet and the owners manual and can't find anything... Am I missing something?
  • Options
    There is a list of voice commands in my 06 Accord Navi manual. There is also a help screen on the unit itself. Perhaps that changed in 08??
  • Options
    Or maybe I'm just blind...lol.
  • Options
    Well, let's just wait until another 08/09 Navi owner confirms before we order the eye appt. for you. ;)

But seriously folks, I know that the newer units are different from mine (no touch screen, etc.) so I wouldn't be surprised if the manual leaves out a few things too.
  • Options
    I've just started talking to the computer and trying different commands. I've discovered how to access a couple of different menus and change the temperature...nothing special...yet.
  • Options
    Now that the DVD updates are 20% off (until March), I decided to go for it. Still expensive but nice to have the latest maps.
  • Options
    wesongwesong Member Posts: 1
    You probably have an answer by now. I have the same car. The voice commands are listed in the 2008 Navigation System Manual starting on page 132. May not help you much. Mine can't understand most commands and I can't even hear the 'beep' it is supposed to give before you give a command.
  • Options
    ajkorostajkorost Member Posts: 3
    My navigation software isn't tracking the mileage or time that close. Is there any way to recalibrate the system so it might track more accurately? Sorry if this has already been discussed, a link would be helpful. Thanks
  • Options
    My navigation software isn't tracking the mileage or time that close.

Compared to what? The mileage to the odometer? The odometer may be off... there's probably a better chance of that than the satellite being off.

The time to how long it actually takes you to get to a destination? Times can be tough to predict. On long trips with highway driving it works pretty well. If there are traffic issues or if you don't travel the speed limit, it will be off.

We may need more info. Are you talking about long trips or short?
  • Options
    ajkorostajkorost Member Posts: 3
    I wasn't referring to the estimated time of the trip. The time is off, like it took about 11 and a half driving hours (car being on and moving) my last road trip, yet the nav system time said it only took about 9 and change... which would have been an absolute record driving from NC to NH.

On that same trip, the odometer and nav mileage were something like 20 miles off, which, I guess over the course of a 720 mile trip isn't too bad. The difference is regularly off 10ish miles per tank of gas.

If a road I travel often is not included on the nav software, would that have the chance to mess up the mileage reading on the nav?

Nothing that is a huge issue, I just searched around and couldn't find it being discussed anywhere
  • Options
    yet the nav system time said it only took about 9 and change

I guess I'm not clear. What year is your Accord? I have an 06 and I know the Navi system changed a bit for 08 and 09.

You might be talking about the trip computer part of the navi system. Mine lists the time and miles I've driven since the last fill-up (or reset). I do know that the trip computer and my odometer mileage are always off. I don't think I've ever checked the trip computer time traveled.
  • Options
    Although I can't speak for the accuracy (or the lack of) with the Navi system in my 04 Accord, but I've always wondered how they "guess" at the trip time. Unless they know the speed limit for each road, how can they come up with a time? I don't remember but does it recalculate the trip time based on your current speed, and readjust as you go faster/slower?

Mrbill
  • Options
    Speed limits are factored in and the time is always being adjusted. For example, if you are stuck in a traffic jam, the time will be figured from that spot to your destination traveling at the correct speed. Obviously, it will be wrong at that point until the jam clears and you can actually drive at the speed limit.