California title question

RincerRincer Member Posts: 6
edited April 2019 in General
I have a car that I paid off and have the title, but it still has lienholder name on it. Also in the bottom right corner it has a stamp and signature saying that they release the lien. If I want to sell/trade in the car, do I need to get a clean title from DMV first or is the one I have good enough? Thank you.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 207,889
    Rincer said:

I have a car that I paid off and have the title, but it still has lienholder name on it. Also in the bottom right corner it has a stamp and signature saying that they release the lien. If I want to sell/trade in the car, do I need to get a clean title from DMV first or is the one I have good enough? Thank you.

It could vary by state, but you should be able to transfer it, as is, since the lien release is on the title.

But, if you are trying to sell it privately, some potential buyers might balk at that. Maybe, a trip to the DMV to get a new copy, with no lien information?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• RincerRincer Member Posts: 6
    kyfdx said:

It could vary by state, but you should be able to transfer it, as is, since the lien release is on the title.

But, if you are trying to sell it privately, some potential buyers might balk at that. Maybe, a trip to the DMV to get a new copy, with no lien information?

Yes that is what I am planning to do, except I might end up trading it in to a dealer this weekend. From what you said seems like a dealer will not have a problem with my title.