Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What's the best vehicle for my needs?

Comments

• Options
    thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    CVT for Nissan isn't new, its just new in the Altima. The murano has had it with very few (if any) issues since 2003, and many JDM (japanese domestic market) vehicles for 10+ years. Nissan's CVT is one of the best on the market. Plus, the VQ series V6 engine in that Altima is beyond bullet proof.

I was gonna suggest Altima if no one else did...

-thene :)
  • Options
    thechosonthechoson Member Posts: 32
    Well that's reassuring, regarding the CVT, thanks.

I think the current V6 Nissan uses is a modified version of the V6 in my 95 Maxima, right? That is a terrific engine
  • Options
    yeah - your car has a 3.0L version of the current VQ. It's been on the ward's top 10 engines since wards started rating engines (i think its up to 12 years now - which would make your engine the first iteration that was awarded the 10 recommendation.)

I think you'll like the altima - fast sporty car, yet practical too!

• Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The perfect car for you sounds like a RX-8. Yes, it does have 4 doors(I count 4 handles and 4 hinges). Handles superbly and can be had for under $25K.

Or just say screw it all and get a Wrangler Unlimited. ;)
  • Options
    I am hoping all of you knowledgable edmunds folks can help me out here. My sister is in hawaii for one year with a roommate. they have been there a year and a half now, and her roommate had shipped out her car from VT, however its on its last legs, and they make a 40 mile one way trip to work every day, and need something that will last them for the next year until they come home. I am not sure what the best bet for them would be for that one year however...

her roommate is considering buying a new car there in HI (which can't be a great place to negotiate anything...), and then shipping it home when she moves back next year. they are also considering a one year lease, and maybe buying a used clunker. their concerns about buying a used car, however, is that they have to deal with selling it before they leave.

Can anyone help me out with some options that i can give her, and what seems like the best bet? i still think that buying a $1500 car or so and then selling it to a dealer or whatever for $500 before they head back is their best bet...but again, i don't know that they even want to deal with that for a year, and there is no guarantee that it won't croak on them after a couple of months.

so, anyone who can share some of their wisdom as to what is best? all opinions are welcome, and ultimately, they will have to decide what is best for them...

thanks in advance!!

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Right off the bat, it seems like a 1-year lease, even if available, would be horrendous for them. A 40-mile one-way trip = 80 miles per day x 5 days per week x 52 weeks = 20,800 miles per year... even not accounting for vacation days, that is factoring in ONLY driving the car to and from work, nowhere else.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    i am at work - and didn't even think to calculate the mileage. they are teachers though, so they wouldn't be making that trip during the summer months...not that it will help them that much with regards to mileage...

like i said, i still think the best bet is for them to buy a clunker and drive the wheels off for a year...but i wanted to see if anyone else could suggest other options that i might be missing!

thanks for the input kirstie!

• Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Buy a $3000 car and sell it at the end of the stint in Hawaii. Do NOT buy it in Hawaii (at a premium price) and ship (at a premium price) back to the mainland. That is a real bad idea with the cost of ocean freight these days. (And I pay for 4-7 containers a week from the Far East) - ouch!)
  • Options
    i agree that buying at a premium in HI and then shipping is stupid...but if thats what her roommate decides to do in the end, who am i to stop her. my sister would just be paying her gas money at that point.

i agree - a $3000 car would be best..i think i just have to convince them of that now...

thanks jlawrence01!

• Options
    gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    How about the rental car agencies used cars ? They should have some Toyota Echo's/Corolla's for a decent price. They may have 40k to 50k miles on them but if they put another 20k on them I would think they would get close to what they paid for them.
  • Options
    joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Buy a Ford Focus wagon.
  • Options
    Buy a Mazda 626 or even a MazdaSpeed 6.
  • Options
    Of course, the very BEST dirt cheap car to get is a 1993 Volvo 240. It's old, cheap to fix, indestructable, and that year they made ABS standard(1990 IIRC it was optional). Oh, R134a that year, too.

Maybe pay $2500-$3000. Sell it for a couple of hundred less in a year.

Edit - a 940 of the same vintage is virtually the same mechanically.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/car/318360841.html
    Lowball him and enjoy.
  • Options
    Get a low mileage Kia Sedona which has a transferable extended warranty already on it for bumper to bumper coverage to 100,000 miles. If you don't drive more than 14,000 miles a year of so the gas mileage won't kill you.
    Buy it really cheap.
  • Options
    Get a used 2006 MazdaSpeed 6. 280 horsepower. Stick shift. Fast. Buy it cheap. Get an extended warranty.
  • Options
    Oh, rear wheel drive? Get Mustang GT convertible. Good headroom in back seat with top down.
  • Options
    Still not going to beat a $3000 Volvo. :P
  • Options
    get a new Hyundai Sonata. Big discounts available. Buy it for 75% of MSRP. Don't keep it 10 years.
  • Options
    get a Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder. Big with good gas mileage. Great warranty. Nice looking. Buy it cheap.
  • Options
    Are manufacturer's warranties always good if a car is used commercially? Seems like I heard commercial use might cause a no warranty situation. Anyone know?
  • Options
    thanks pletko - i am going to try to convince her that a cheap used car is the way to go...

• Options
    joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Are manufacturer's warranties always good if a car is used commercially? Seems like I heard commercial use might cause a no warranty situation. Anyone know?

I can only speak for the flavor I sell. If you are going to use the vehicle in a commercial capacity then we charge an additional surcharge up to $250 depending on the plan you buy. If you buy a Pre-Owned car that was previously used in a commercial capacity it has no bearing on you buying a service contract. You can buy one on it like any other car.
  • Options
    I was actually asking about a manufacturer's new car warranty, like the 3year/36,000 mile warranties many car makers include with the new cars. Or, in the case of Kia and Hyundai, the 5 year/60,000 mile ones.
  • Options
    phoenixyphoenixy Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a an old cheap car with lots of miles on it. I've heard all the usual recommendations for reliable old cars--Civic, Corolla, Maxima, etc. But I'm also looking for something that would be fun to drive. My first car was a '92 Saab 900 SE, and I've never driven a car since that was as enjoyable to take on the road. I'd be willing to spend some extra money to re-create that experience; what would you recommend for a used car that's old and reliable, but a joy to drive?
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    A 94 Nissan Altima with Firehawk tires... sounds as if you are speaking of a sporty sedan, not a sports car.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    Nothing but nothing on the planet gives you the most bang for your buck as an old used Volvo 240. What's your budget? 240s are cheap transportation - maybe too low priced - ie, if you have $500-$1000, get a Volvo. IF you have several times that much, it's a whole other game.
  • Options
    phoenixyphoenixy Member Posts: 2
    I was hoping to spend around 1-3k, maybe a little more for a car in really good shape that's had expensive routine maintenance done recently.

My boyfriend wants me to get a Volvo because they're safe, but I'm worried it wouldn't be any fun to drive! What I enjoyed about the Saab was the great brakes, small size, and low center of gravity/suspension (it would scrape over speed bumps and tremble on the highway--maybe the suspension was a little too low, now that I think about it).
  • Options
    ddunbarddunbar Member Posts: 31
    I'm looking for a older reliable commuter car that gets 30mpg. Am hoping to spend $3-$4K. Automatic, able to handle Chicago winters (45 miles/day roundtrip), and room for 2 car seats. Just looking for good, safe, reliable, transportation. Any suggestions in addition to an early-mid 90s Corollas?

Thanks.
  • Options
    i had a 92 maxima SE as my first car, and i LOVED it!! those are some of the best maximas ever built, and if you can find one in good shape, i'd highly recommend it. i mean, it DOES have a sticker on it that says "4DSC" which stands for 4 door sports car!!

• Options
    3-4K would get you a near mint condition 240 or Volvo 940(luxury version - same engine). If you can only spend a few thousand dollars, it's always better to buy cheap, pay cash, and not have a loan. So that means mostly older stodgy boxes. But sometimes you can find a car that's not a toad to drive or look at.

I like the 240 because it has a retro sort of look and was made very well. And, despite the looks and RWD, Swedish cars are built to handle winters - or at least the older ones were. (best heater ever in a car I've owned, btw) Obviously get the wagon because they look even MORE retro and with kids, storage space is a plus.

I've PMd you with a URL that I think you might like to check on.
  • Options
    apexgtapexgt Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone. I am a 19 year old college student and am spoiled by the power of a V8. I've owned a '94 Camaro Z28 and currently drive a '00 Mustang GT. However, with gas prices spiraling out of control, I feel I am forced to get something more economical. What I'm looking for is a car that is the best blend of performance and fuel economy. However, my budget is only around $10,000. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    magnusx1magnusx1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a new car & my problem seems simple but with a variety of solutions:

I commute roughly 80 miles a day (40-ish each way). Gas prices are sucking all over. I'm pretty sure I want a Prius, & can afford it, but is that the best choice? I used to do mostly highway driving but my new job has me spending more time on regular busy & traffic lighted streets, so the majority is now city driving.

Prius? Civic? Maybe something nutty like a Fit or a Versa? What really is gonna be best & help avoid 3 trips to the gas station each week? Thanks in advance to any responses.
  • Options
    Easy. Honda Civic GX. Fuel from home. Or in the city(all major cities have at least one place).

The fueling device at home is a few thousand dollars, but there are tax incentives to cover most of it. The cost per "gallon" equivalent(30-35miles travelled) is maybe $1 to 1.20! If you are saving $2.50 a "gallon", that's about $150 a month savings. In two years, you'll have saved an enormous amount of money. It also qualifies for the same access stickers and bonuses that the Prius does everyplace that I have checked. It's a true "green" car. My cousin's husband has one and he says it drives exactly like a normal Civic - just with about a 200 mile range as the *only* tradeoff(well, and the trunk is 2/3 the size)

Oh - filled in town, it runs about 1.60 a gallon last I checked. These are also tremendous values used as the engines basically never wear out.

As for the "I love my V8" request, I honestly suggest just dealing with it as car payments will cripple you. Now, if you have $10K in cash, that buys an enormous amount of fuel.

One basic rule that my father taught me is that every time you change cars, you lose about a thousand dollars. All the insurance changes(full coverage as well), registration fees, misc mechanical issues(tires, new chains to fit them, and such), and so on all add up to a chunk of money.

Your best deal will be to use it until you are out of school. Spend as little money on it as possible and enjoy it.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    If you are doing "city" driving, the Prius is your best bet. It gets its best mileage in the driving you are talking about. While the Civic, Fit and Versa gas mileage will suffer in city driving.

The nice thing about it is even if the Prius doesn't work out, you can still sell it for close to MSRP.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this conversation is more about hybrids/alt fuel, some posts have been moved to one of our relevant discussions called Hybrids - the real payback.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    zoomzoomnolezoomzoomnole Member Posts: 6
    I'm a college student and my 1997 Ford Taurus(which i hate) is quickly reaching its end. The car I've had my heart set in is the Mazda 3, but lately I've been checking out the Scion tC. However, I haven't driven one yet, and I hear they have boring acceleration? I loved driving the Mazda, though, and found it very comfortable. A lot of people have recommended the Honda Civic, and while I do agree its a good car, its just not my thing. So what is your advice on the Mazda vs. the Scion for a college kid who makes trips home monthly (about 170 miles). But does very little city driving other than that. I will be driving 3 miles to school everyday and usually having 3 other people with me. Plus little trips around town.

Basicly, which is better of the two (or if you have another suggestion) considering:
    Long Distance driving
    Transporting people
    Storage (for trips home/back)
    Overall funness of driving

I've looked up most of the hard facts, I'd just really like some "real life" opinions

Thanks!
  • Options
    Both excellent choices; flip a coin. Or if you want a little more room and comfort with passengers, especially on long trips, get a Hyundai Elantra Limited loaded with leather seats and a whole lot of other equipment you won't get on the other two for around $17,000. Get a manual transmission.
  • Options
    I agree with joe. All 3 you mentioned will do about the same (including the Elantra). The Civic and Scion will have better gas mileage. The Elantra has better storage. Fun to drive? Only you can decide that one. Just don't scare the salesman on your test drive. Personally, I would go with the Elantra or Civic but I am 6'4" tall and the Mazda 3 driving position is awful for me. Also the back seat is tighter then the Elantra and Civic. Not too familiar with the Scion. Also check out each car's forum to see if any of them has issues that we aren't aware of.

Here's the logical side of me coming out... Before you leap into this purchase, can you make do with the Taurus until you graduate? I've worked on a college campus for the past 10 years and I have seen too many college students graduating with unbelievable amounts of debt and not all of it from student loans. Your Taurus, while you may hate it, is probably paid off, cheap to insure and not a car any thief wants to steal. If you have no problem pulling off the payments and the insurance then disregard what I said.

Let us know which car you decide to purchase.
  • Options
    zoomzoomnolezoomzoomnole Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response! I'd taken a look at the Elantra, but hadn't really checked into it much, so I'll have to give that a try =D

joe131- I think manual is really cool, but I can't drive one! And my college town is full of steep hills, so I'd be really nervous trying to take a manual there anyway. *sigh*

dtownfb- I was going to try and make due with the car i have now, but we just put 600$ into it and now a month later the brakes are crapping out. Plus my uncle is in the car business and can usually get us REALLY good deals on car, so payments aren't too much of an issue. I do appreciate the concern =D But I've thought this through a lot, I'm kinda cheap so when I have to spend a lot of money like this I make sure I REALLY need to :D
  • Options
    Always nice to have a relative in the business. And keep that "cheap" philosophy, you'll benefit from it later in life.

The best thing is drive them all. Another one to consider is the Sentra. Not necessarily sporty but it does have good amount of room and a CVT that seems to work pretty good. Get this month's edition of Motor Trend. They did a comparo with Civic, lancer, Sentra and Elantra.

Good luck.
  • Options
    chrombugchrombug Member Posts: 1
    I'm rather short, would like to see the road better than I do in a standard car. Since I have a family GM member, I could get a discount on a GM new car. I've enjoyed Saturn service for my current (short but good 99 Saturn SWII) car, and have been considering Vues. I've read about trouble with the hybrids, and they are considerably more expensive than the other Vues. Since the Vue is an SUV, the mileage isn't what I'd like, though I test-drove a V4 and V6 and liked the driver position.

Does anyone have ideas about cars in which I would ride higher than usual, perhaps have a shorter front hood (for better depth perception for me), and perhaps be a used non-GM car if it suits my needs very well. I would even consider a non-American car (perhaps used) if it were a lot better fit for me.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The only thing like that that I've ridden in lately was a Honda CR-V. I liked it a lot, although it isn't particularly what I was looking for, and I wouldn't trade my Accord for it.

*By the way, when car shopping, make sure you don't say "Vee Four" since basically all 4-cylinder engine aren't in the "V" configuration. They are 4-cylinders in a row, or an "Inline 4", commonly denoted on forums as an I4. This may help you have the upper hand when it comes time to deal, showing you really know your stuff! :) I hope this helps, as it wasn't meant to be snippy, just helpful!

Maybe "try on" a CR-V though? It was very quiet, and has handling that is very carlike relative to a lot of SUVs, not to mention incredible fuel economy for an SUV.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    How about the Pontiac Vibe? Gets great gas mileage too! And a short front hood.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Actually, what you want is a large and flat hood. A short hood usually can't even be seen when you drive unless you are very tall. The problem is that most cars now are turning into jellybeans, so visibility stinks.

GM depreciation is so bad that it's always better to toss the dollars and get even a 1-2 year old used model.

What's your budget? There are a lot of non-GM vehicles out there. My current pick is the Jeep Patriot. Very good to drive, inexpensive, has full-time 4x4, and you know where the edges are within a few minutes of driving.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    But in the Vibe you sit up higher so visibility is very good. And since the Vibe is also a Matrix it has good reliability. I'm sure it gets better MPG than a Jeep. You can usually find 2 or 3 year old models out there.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    But in the Vibe you sit up higher so visibility is very good. And since the Vibe is also a Matrix it has good reliability. I'm sure it gets better MPG than a Jeep.

Rented the Vibe for a weekend and averaged 34 mpg on a 450 miles trip through Tennessee and Alabama. Hated the car ... until I actually drove it.

The Jeep Liberty that I am driving this weekend MIGHT be getting 16-18 mpg. A disappointing ride BUT in all fairness, this car has been in an accident and has been abused by thedriver (and is heading to the auction next week).
  • Options
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
    22/27(man) 20/24(CVT)

These are the new tests, btw. The stickers still say something like 24/30.

It impressed me. Drives a lot like a slightly more raised Subaru Forester - for a lot less money.
  • Options
    asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    Rented the Vibe for a weekend and averaged 34 mpg on a 450 miles trip through Tennessee and Alabama. Hated the car ... until I actually drove it.

Does it mean you liked the Vibe after driving it? Why did you hate it before driving? (I am considering a used Vibe).
  • Options
    After driving it for a while, I began to really enjoy the way it handled. And I was shocked at how high the gas mileage was.

Generally, I dislike SUVs. They are way to large and generally handle a lot like trucks. The Vibe was nothing like that. (Of course, I hate when rental cars are flaming bright red with Massachusettes plates two weeks after the election and I am heading into Alabama. Almost expected to be pulled over ...)
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Did you ever see the Top Gear goes to America episode? They drive through Alabama and it does not turn out well. They obviously played up the drama of it and they were asking for it too but it was bad no matter what.