Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Do car parts (fog lights, bumpers, etc.) have any markings that tie it to the original car?

MrSizzleMrSizzle Posts: 1
edited June 14 in BMW
I am interested in finding out if parts on/in a new car have any kind of marking or indication that links it to the VIN of that car. For example, if there was a fog light that I found - is there anything that links it to the original car that it came on from the factory?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,942
    Not a fog light. There may be VIN tags on large body parts (fenders, etc). I doubt there are any tags on body parts that aren't metal (like bumpers), or on interior pieces of any kind.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,098
    kyfdx said:

Not a fog light. There may be VIN tags on large body parts (fenders, etc). I doubt there are any tags on body parts that aren't metal (like bumpers), or on interior pieces of any kind.

I agree. No way you can trace small items like a fog lamp.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i