Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab vs Ford Explorer Sport Trac - II

Comments

• fordsporttracfordsporttrac Member Posts: 300
    Will this put an end to this math issue?

Quality~Sales
  • goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    I like it.
    Question for you.Shell for the ST?
    Shell?? I do not get the reference?

Shell as Tonneau Cover?
    Shell as Cap?

If thats your question I have the cover on order. Shipments are expected to start next week. I have only seen aftermarket Caps.

Shell Gasoline?
    I use Sunoco.
  • mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    causing ripples"
    I love these people who come on this page, don't read any of the past posts and sling uneducated comments around! Some of these people don't visit the topic for weeks at a time or even months. I'm with you fordsporttrac...from now on they won't get the satisfaction of my comments. It's probably what they wanted to begin with, because if they wanted real responses they they would come back on and support their comments, but they don't even do that.
    Yeah,I meant topper or camper shell.I know they make tonneau covers andI was just curious if anyone made a topper for it yet.
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Sorry, I still do not think sales can be directly related to quality. Others might think so, I do not. Other factors can influence the sales figure even more than quality. How about Price. Rolls Royce has great quality; they do not sell very many of them. Hyundai has\had lousy quality, they sold; still sell a lot of them.

Therefore, sales can be influenced by quality but it can never = quality
    rjkunkle what's the deal man? I just read the new topics on the Sport trac page, just as I tought ther you were. Boasting about the offensive post you placed here this morning. Funny thing is your posting didn't get quite the warm welcome you thought huh? You posted in there:

" #285 of 298: RE:\\(fordsporttrac) (rjkunkle) Tue 11 Jul '00 (10:59 AM)

If you read what I post you will know that I
    am strictly ST. I thought everyone would get a
    laugh at what I had posted. By no means was it to
    start the charade that is going on in the other
    board. That board it purely an argument board,
    unluck this helpful and informative board.

Thanks, and stay off my back."

In response to that statement, why did you come on here and post anything at all? Were you trying to start an arguement? You don't even know what this board is about! By the way as far as you commenting that the Spot trac board being informative- it sure is if you want to see all the problems with the sport trac. Which is ok, there's nothing wrong with fellow owners sharing their problems or mishaps with their sport trac. Keep in mind that this topic is a comparission board- that doesn't mean that it has to be harsh. We can disagree on topics but those of us who are here regularly are civil. Since this topic's inception the only people that cause problems are people like you and there's been a few Nissan wackos too, but mostly Ford fans that pop their little noses in here spout of some stupid little comments, then sit back and get the responses and go wow the Nissan owners sure are defensive. Let me tell you guys, it the same thing over in any of the Toyota boards. One of the Toyota boards have even had Edmunds kick people off the topics! It seems that there are some American truck owners out there that have a 'complex' about their vehicles and are a little scared that the Japanese are entering the full size market.

Anyways the initial derrogatory comments from ford fans by far outway the ones from the Nissan owners.
  • rjkunklerjkunkle Member Posts: 74
    Do you just surf for dirt. I see you haven't posted on the ST board.

Lets start over.

What was your reason for buying a CC? Ruling out the argument that it was cheaper, because if the ST didn't have so many standards it would be a inexpensive vehicle.

Thanks
    Go check all the prior posts and you will get your answer. I have given my reasons, Mahaimahi, his, and all the other CC owners theirs. We don't mind giving them again, and have, should the timing warrant it. FordST, and other ST owners have also given their reasons for buying an ST (most of them NOT just because its a Ford and not Japanese).

It's all there. read it and ask questions and we will respond.
    I think we are saying the same thing. I'll rephrase my original point.

A product with good quality will usually get additional sales simply because of the quality of the product.

or

If you make a good product more people will buy it.
    No I don't surf for dirt. I do however like to visit the other boards especially the boards on trucks I compared when I shopped for my truck. I want to see how everybody is doing and also since I am leasing I will be obviously be getting a new truck in few years- call it future research. You're right I haven't commented on the S/T board, why would I? It's a board for S/T owners what would I contribute to it? If their are any S/T ownwers that care what a Nissan owner has to say they could visit this board, right?

Fresh Start:

All of us here welcome you to this board, it's refreshing to have more S/T owners come in. This board is heavy in Nissan owners, one consistent responding S/T owner and a few occasional die-hard Ford/Nissan fans jumping in. I hope you stay on this topic for a while. You will see that we discuss quite a range of topics. This board is also nice because if it does stray off the topic a bit, nobody jumps down your throat...only when you can't back up a fact(which I'm guilty of as well) :) But noetheless welcome!

As far as my choice keanec is right check out some of the past responses, price had nothing to do with my choice though, well at the most it was the least of my variables (I was originally looking at a F-250 SD). But if you do have any specifics ask us I'll be honest.
    What I meant by price not being an issue...is that the difference between the C.C. and the S/T is justifiable to me. I didn't want to sound like a damn idiot there.
    I agree with that statement!!

On with the comparisons!

How many cup holders does the ST have?? One of my biggest complaints against my pathfinder was no cupholders!! My CR-V had Four front (nice) and two rear. The CC has 2 front, 2 rear. The biggest problem is the front one have a removable liner for larger "cups", that ends up on the bottom of our 600ml (20oz) bottles when you go to take a drink. Take it out, and it is too big. A can does work nice though.
    Sounds like Ford copied that idea. Got 2 in the front. One with removable liner. Nice thing is when going to a BYOB restaurant it holds the wine bottles nicely. :-)

Got 2 in the rear that will hold a standard can/bottle.
    I can't use my front cup holders because my cup takes up the whole space.I have a BIG insulated cup that when full of ice I can pour 2 cans of soda into.The good part is that even in the heat here I will still have ice 5hrs later.I need an adapter. :-)
    My front cupholders hold a 32oz. 'Big Gulp' (the cup is one of those that are made to fit into cupholders,indented bottom)and my cell phone. The back ones hold the boat keys.
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    Well, we just placed our order for the 01 frontiers yesterday, they have some pretty nice new colors coming out, 3 blues and a khaki color too. You can now get leather if you want to as well as steering wheel audio controls and a 6 disc in dash autochanger, the SC package, (not available yet) will also have 17" wheels and other goodies. I especially like the locking tailgate they are going to have, pretty nice, I'll post more when I read it again.
    Humm the 01 CC is starting to sound like an ST. How is the price? Is it getting near the 24K mark of the ST? Actually with the leather and wheel options on the ST its more like 26K.
    really? I don't know the different models, but i saw a ST without leather for over $26,000 when one of the ford guys was filling it up at the gas station, (don't know maybe it was a 4x4 or something) DOn't have official pricing yet, but Nissan is very good about keeping the prices similar to the previous model, Leather package I would imagine is around $1200. Yes I think that Nissan is reacting to the more available comfort features on the ST just like Ford reacted to the CC by bringing out the ST, they were able to build on the CC's success, and Nissan has a chance to volley back. Myself, I don't know how popular the leather package will be, I have not had one person want leather in their CC, we can put aftermarket leather, very nice, right now, but have not yet. For me a truck is just that, I don't need leather and the other bells and whistles, but evidently there are those that do.
    I am curious to see what other changes the CC has besides the leather and SC. The locking tailgate is a bonus, as well as the controls on the Steering wheel. But have they "updated" the dash to the Junkman's specs? Have they made the rear seat folding? Like I stated before, the body style chnges are too STish for me (Just a humble opinion). Have they added heated mirrors!!; a pet peave for me in the far north!

Now the final question for the cncman; Have they 1. added two more cup holders up front, and 2. Have they figured out how to get the removable cup holder off the bottom of my Pepsi?
    I agree with you keanec, I don't like what I've seen of the new style, maybe it looks better in person. I've got to tell you guys if the Nissan would have been offered in leather I probably would have been tempetted to get it,because the Acura had it. I am glad that they didn't offer it and after closer condsideration I would have made a mistake. IMHO,there are some bad things about leather, it(no matter how well you treat it or clean it) shows age much faster than cloth or even vinyl plus it's extremely hot/cold. But the biggest thing is water. Since I do alot of hunting(duck) and saltwater fishing(it can get rough and I fish out of a center console) on the weekends, I couldn't use my truck for the fear of sitting in it while I might be wet. When I had the Acura and it rained I worried about the umbrella all the time. So I don't think that the leather option is necessary, at least on the 4x4. Ford's S/T has the best seats by far! The truck co. should have done that years ago.

I must say that I do miss the radio controls and the cruise contols on the wheel. Now those are sweet ideas. If I wasn't leasing I would wait until the 2001's came out and convert mine to that. These two items along with a folding rear seat are really the only things that I would want. Everthing else is fine to me.
    The 26 K is more of a real world price vs MSRP.
    Hey everyone,
    I don't see anything in my literature about changing the cupholders or the rear seat, it just says "minor interior facelift and new fabrics" so not sure what that is. One thing I like is that they do have a body color package for the XE's if you want the painted grill and fender flares.
    There is also a supercharger value package that gives you leather, cruise, security, sunroof, 6disc autochanger, steeringwheel controls and tilt. you can still get the LSD too. I'll post more when I get one, should be the end of the month.
    Good God you'd think I didn't own one right? I do have cruise controls on the wheel! After I wrote that and I got into my truck I thought to myself "did I just post: I wish I had cruise controls on the wheel?" Gosh after putting 11K on a vehicle you think I might know the interior huh? Maybe it's because I don't ever use it.
  • seahorse2seahorse2 Member Posts: 2
    Ok All- What are the true known positives and negatives about these two trucks--I have driven both - like both- and yes one is less but $ is not my main criteria...What mechanical problems are associated with each??? Is there a recurring problem with the automatic on the ford??
    Is the back seat comfortable on both of them for Adults -1/2 hour to an hour..How well are the Crew Cabs holding their value? It is too soon to know about Ford? Thanks for any help-
    I have a CC XE 4x4.I have not had any mechanical problems with it.I have read of some people having a problem with the oil filler cap coming loose,but I have not experienced it.As far as the rear seat,I found it comfortable and with sufficient room.My wife recently rode in the rear seat for 5hrs on a trip with the baby and she found it comfortable.I will admit that I am the tallest at 5'8 and my wife is 5'2.If you are a large person you may find a problem with the room.
    Ford problems woukd be best addressed by the ford owners such as fordsporttrac,because of their ownership of the vehicle.They can speak from experience.
  • rlear1rlear1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a truck/SUV. Something that I can carry my mountain bike, skis, backpack etc.etc. in. The idea of the short truck bed on the Ford Sport Trac caught my eye. I went to a Ford dealer about 4 weeks ago and they were $23.5K or $24. I went last weekend and they were $26.5-$27.5. I then went to a Nissan dealer and drove the CC 4x4 Frontier and was impressed with it. Are there any difference between he two-besides the cup holder thing that I've read about. I'm more interested in how they drive on long trips (4-6 plus hours), mechanical problems, gas mileage. The CC had a moon roof that I though was kind of cheesy. And the interior on the CC was more spartan than the Ford Sport Trac. Is that a big deal. I like the thought that the guy had about the leather interior and not wanting to get it wet. Any other thoughts?? Any help would be appreciated.
    I strongly suggest that you look back at the previous posts on this board and the original board.If you still have questions come back and ask them.We have hashed these things out fairly well previously,in fact my previous post to seahorse2 answered some of that.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    HI! I see even after my being gone for a week on vacation my posts hit a huge nerve with the Nissan CC owners!! I proved the Ford ST is superior to the CC with links and quoting reviews. And the Nissan group hated it! Someone, I believe Gooba posted the HP/Torque curve showing the Ford 4.0 SOHC is far superior to the CC 3.3 also! Keep up the Ford bashing, not helping much.... While in Southern CA, saw far more Ford Sport Tracs than all Nissans Frontiers of any style combined!! LOL! Enjoy that weak 3.3, and, enjoy the Supercharger bandaid! LOL... OH, and the new Ranger debuts in about 2 months.... What will Nissan do then?
  • croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    Oh F_CK!! I though that he had given up, but it was only a vacation! Glad to see that you are still hanging your hat on the torque curve. By the way dumbass, I live in SoCal, and I drive over 30,000 miles a year all over SoCal for my job. There are far more Nissan CC's that Ford ST's on the road around here. I'll bet that your wife got embarrassed at the hard-on you got every time you saw a ford ranger or ST on the road out here.

Welcome back from vacation, and keep up the good work trying to comment on a vehicle that you don't even own.
    No vince I did not post those curves.When the Ranger debuts,I guess Nissan will continue to sell cars.I came across an intersting article about Ford.You had so much to say about the finances of Nissan.At least they are getting in the black.Ford on the other hand is 150billion in debt and is the number 2 corporate borrower in the world.
    You asked about the Pros and Cons of the ST so here they are IMHO. BTW I am an ST owner.

The CC is the better off road vehicle. The ST has less ground clearance than the CC. The ST is for light off roading IMHO.

The ST has better Interior and Exterior styling. This is my opinion but the ST owners do get allot of head turns. :-)

The ST has a Split Folding 60/40 rear seat, more leg room and the rear seat back angles more. The CC rear seat does not fold and has very little angle.

The ST is 4-5K more than the CC depending on options. But the ST has more available options than the CC.

The ST has 2 seat upgrades, Leather and Super Water resistant. (I'm not sure about the CC)

The ST has a 4.0L engine the CC has a 3.3L. All the CC owners say it is a strong engine but it gets bad reviews for power. Nissan is releasing a Turbo or Super charger (I forget which) to address the issue.

The ST should be the better towing vehicle. But we're debating that here. ;-)

Although the leather seats are VERY comfortable, after my 5 Hour trip I've discovered I dislike the ST's leather Headrest. Sleeping was uncomfortable with out some additional support (ie a pillow). Sitting up was fine but not reclining.

You asked about the Transmission. No problems with mine. Ford has stated they redesigned the Transmissions when they had problems with the Windstar back in 1995. Mine shifts as smooth as butter. I'm amazed at the fact that sometimes I don't even feel it shift.

Known problems with the first run (Job #1) of ST's

The Fuel door (Not Cap) rubs fender when opened.

The Sun roof drip tube can fall off.

Some ST doors are not completely painted on bottom.

The Power Steering pump on some ST's may shudder during tight turns at low speeds. (Ie. while parking)

All of these problems are supposed to be resolved in Job #2 which started at the Ford plant this week. If by chance you buy a Job #1 vehicle the dealer will fix the problems before you pick it up.

Ask yourself what do you want the vehicle for. IMHO the ST is more of a family vehicle. Lower to the ground and more SUV like options. This whole discussion will become a mute point in the late fall when both Ford and Nissan are supposed to release new models.
    Nice summary by fordsporttrac and true on some points.
    But I wanted to note that all this hipe about the rear seat in the C.C. While, not the most comfortable I've sat in, it's not that bad. I haven't sat in rear seat in pickup(including the F-250 SD Crew Cab) that could match a car's. But I am 6'-1", 215lbs. and had my brother drive while I sat behind him(he's 6ft) I sat back there with no problems at least not any more than you would find with a small corolla or saturn. True the most uncomfortable part is the angle of the back but I have ridden back there from Tampa to Miami and didn't have any problems, so it's not as unbearable as the mags or competitors would make it out to be, IMHO. I do think that fordsporttrac is right that the S/T has more angle and would prob. be more comfortable but like I say I haven't had anybody complain but rather comment how easy it is to get in and out of the back...as opposed to and extended cab of any make or model.

As far as reliablity I have over 10,500 miles and no problems at all.
  • dcrow2dcrow2 Member Posts: 4
    I can count on one hand how many ST I've seen in So Cal, and yes Vince I live here ! Sure this will change in time, but the only place you will find more ST's currently is on a Ford lot, were you obviously must have been. Take a hike, you have no credibility, especially with comments like the last one.
    Very nicely done.I found it informative as well as objective.The 2001 will have a supercharger,but not when it is first released.From what I read it is supposed to be later.
    mahimahi You said;
    Nice summary by fordsporttrac and true on some points.
    ======================

Humm is that a mistaken comment? What points were un-true in my post? You got me curious.
    Agree with some of your points, others I don't but I only really want to talk about two of them.

1. I agree with Mahimahi that the rear seat isn't as uncomfortable (as compared to the ST) as some people say. As proven by your measurements and mine, the differences are only in the inch range and I don't think you would buy either vehicle if your primary concern was adults in the backseat all the time - The F150 4 door would be much better.

2. As to the Tranny problems being fixed in the 1996+ Windstars; sorry - read the Windstars discussions and you will see that this is absolutely not the case. Now, I am not saying your ST doesn't shift as you say it does, or that you will have the problems that the Windsdtar (and other Ford products) but your statement said that Ford fixed the tranny problems; and I don't think that is necessarily true.
    The seat issue I have to disagree with you. I parked my ST next to a CC last week and did a comparison. Yea it was from the outside cuz the other driver wasn't around but despite our measurements there was a huge visual difference in the rear seating. An I must say the rear seat back of the CC is very vertical. Very little angle at all.

As far as the Transmission.... This is my first Ford so I'll reserve my opinions until I get to 60K ;-) But right now my transmission is running better than my 4Runner ever did. I'm not sure if its the power difference or the 5 Speed OD but sometimes I see the shift in the RPM's but I do not feel the transmission shift. It is very smooth.
    I guess I'll just have to wait until some one I know buys a ST. Then I can compare them by sitting in them both side by side. The only experience I had was at the Car show and my buddy and I both tried out the back of the ST and didn't find it to have any more room. My 6'3" friend had a very hard time getting in the back of the ST. He felt it was easier in the CC. Neither myself or him noticed the slant of the seat back so what you are saying about that is probably true. I will say again that neither vehicle is good for more than 2 adults for any period of time longer than an hour or so. I think both vehicles were designed for "families" that have children. Nissan saw a need that wasn't being filled; namely a small family truck.

I personally don't care if the back seat holds cargo or not - that is not what I need it for - nor what it was originally designed for. I think a benefit of the CC is you can put a cap on the back; I am not sure if the ST will take a roof high cap. That deletes the need for dry storage in the back seat. In fact until my kids car seats get removed (probably 3 years from now)it would just be a pain to have to undo the tether straps and seats for the limited amount of time I would need it.

As to the Tranny, like I said, it probably is a very good shifting/smooth tranny; but will it last? Only time will tell.
    I have ridden in the back of my CC and so had my wife,and I do not find a problem.I found the rear seat comfortable and it had enough room for us.I have ridden back there on 3 hours,and my wife for over 5hrs.I did not even come out stiff.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    I'm not sure what Vince proved in his abscence, but the rest of us proved that the extent Sporttrac's offroading capability is the gravel parking lot at the sweet corn stand.

And how is laughing at Ford Motor Company for having to buy my Ranger back from me "bashing"?
    Can you imagine what an incredible piece of garbage a vehicle has to be for the manufacturer to throw in the towel and actually cut you a check for the full amount of your vehicle? These guys are pros at squirming through loopholes to get out of having to satisfy the customer. But Ford's Ranger was such a total heap that they had no choice but to reimburse me. What a joke of a company. Anyway, sorry if that's bashing, Vince. Truth hurts sometimes. I wonder how many Explorer owners have had their wagons...errrr, SUV's bought back?
    I was in a hurry yesterday, so sorry about the brief post. No it wasn't a mistaken comment. In the begining of your post #187 you said that the whole post or the following was your opinion. What I was saying that although masked by your opinion some of it was true fact, basically I'm saying that most everything in your post is proveable fact. Except the S/T looking better ;) I didn't mean for it to sound like I saying that you were wrong, remember you qualified what you posted was IYHO.

Your right, the rear seat has less angle in it than the S/T, but more than a rear seat of a full size extended cab and it's twice as comfortable than a full size(IMHO). I didn't mean to start something here but I was just trying to state that this seat is more comfortable than most of the magazines lead you to believe. I read the truck trend article it's been out for a while. I didn't find anything that interesting or new in it. We've discussed more on this topic than it did. Granted they did load the two vehicles down and did braking tests and start up tests, big deal! Sure the bigger engine shoukd pull more that doesn't take an idiot that figure out. Those of us who have been involed in this topic on the towing issue know what the real differences between the trucks are: one is designed off a p/u truck platform and the other is designed off of a suv. I have never made an issue of the 4.0L's power rather the differences between the vehicle's platform, anyway we've already been over this. I just didn't find anything that interesting in the article that's all.
    There are after market caps for the ST. Several have already been posted on the ST board. But I ordered the Tonneau cover. It also provides dry, locked, storage. I preferred the tonneau to a cap because it removes very easy. Allows you to carry big stuff (taller than a cap). Still allows the air flow from the electric rear window. Lets you tie stuff down on top of the cover with the side cleats.

You can remove the Tonneau, stow it in the bed and still use the bed. Great for those situations when your far from home and grandma gives you a piano. Is it take the piano and leave the cap? Or the other way around.

If you have the cargo cage you can flip open the back half of the tonneau flip out the cage and have 2' of dry storage and 3.5' of open bed.

Or unclip the Cargo cage, clip in the cargo divider (comes with the tonneau) and you have two separate, 2 ft, dry, locked storage areas. Or without the divider, one 4ft storage area.

There are several more combinations of tonneau, cage and divider but I think thats a enough of why I prefer it over a cap.

I doubt I'll still be posting at 60K miles but if my tranny acts up any time before I'm off Edmunds I'll be happy to post it. Right now its working extremely well!
    You said;
    but the rest of us proved that the extent
    Sporttrac's offroading capability is the gravel
    parking lot at the sweet corn stand.
    ======================================

I don't recall anyone stating or proving that.

BTW, You kind of sound like Vince only in Nissan mode not Ford mode.
    Tried out the F150 Crew Cab before I drove the ST. It was a bit too big for my family. If I had 5+ year olds that could open the doors and climb in the back thats fine. But for next year my 5' 6" wife would have to lift the car seat into the middle seat belt of the rear seat. Its tough enough for her in the much lower ST.

The F150 did have the adjustable peddles but that was about the extent of its unique stuff.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Sorry. My gripes are ligit though. I've actually owned Ford's.
    I wasn't sure if they had a cap for it or not. In my hometown, the cap dealers said none were available in March as of yet. Anyway, your reasons for the hard cover a good reasons, my problem with a hard cover is I am from the North where it snows a lot. I much prefer the height of the cap which allows for taller things; as well as almost double the dry storage space as a cover.

Also, one of the reasons of going to a SUV years ago was because of the "hi" trunk space. Back then , trucks had a seating problem. Now, my seating problem is cured, I have lots of "dry" storage and I can take off the Cap by loosening 4 bolts in 2 minutes and have lots of "wet" space, which I couldn't do with my SUV (I think the old 4 runner was the only medium SUV that could). Yes you are right when you say if you go to granny's and at the last minute you decide to take home a piano, I would have to leave the cap. You can't have everything; but usually Granny lets me know in advance that she wants me to take home her piano (obviously you don't take grandsin the ST)and I can leave the cap at home.

I guess we both have good reasons for our choices. By the way, have you ever seen a cap on a ST? If so, what does it look like? The cap on my CC blends right in (it is colour matched) and makes my truck look far superior than without it (IMHO)
    I too drove the F-150 supercrew. Several things IMHO, way too much(price) for what you get, for the same price I could get a F-250 SD equiped the same, I hate the way the F-150's look and three of my neighbors have them and took all the good colors!
    There was a photo posted some where of an ST with a cap. I'll see if I can find it.

I think I could do a grand in the ST. Just open the cargo cage and put in on end with the narrow part over the sun roof. Piece of cake. Remove the legs first of course.
    The question would be if the bed can take the weight.
This discussion has been closed.