Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil | Edmunds

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2019 in General

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil | Edmunds

Urban legends, lies and distortions surround oil changes and engine oil use. We bust the myths and reveal the truths about the top seven urban legends about oil.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LimoPhilLimoPhil Member Posts: 1
    My college professor says oil never loses its viscosity. He said if you change the oil filter regularly, that your oil would stay clean enough to continue to lubricate properly for years
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    LimoPhil said:

My college professor says oil never loses its viscosity. He said if you change the oil filter regularly, that your oil would stay clean enough to continue to lubricate properly for years

That assumes the filter is 100% efficient.

Then, you would need to know the filter change interval. If it's the same as the oil change interval, I can assure you oil does not stay clean enough to keep running, ad infinitum. All you have to do is look at it, at the end of the cycle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    LimoPhil said:

Nonsense. Oil is made up of several components, some of which are used up with miles. What kind of a professor is he?
  • Options
    IsabellamasonIsabellamason Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for sharing information in your blog
  • Options
    IsabellamasonIsabellamason Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for sharing a beautful information in your page