Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

instrument cluster goes off after vic was removed

katdeekatdee Member Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in Jeep
The vic went out and blew the #6 fuse so I removed it but now my instrument cluster goes off a couple seconds after starting. I know lots of people take it out and don't replace it but why are my gauges going off? I checked the fuses and had to take out @16 because my dome lights wouldn't go off and I have to go to work and dont want the bttery to go dead. HELP PLEASE
Kathy

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    katdee said:

The vic went out and blew the #6 fuse so I removed it but now my instrument cluster goes off a couple seconds after starting. I know lots of people take it out and don't replace it but why are my gauges going off? I checked the fuses and had to take out @16 because my dome lights wouldn't go off and I have to go to work and dont want the bttery to go dead. HELP PLEASE
    Kathy

What is the "vic"?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    katdeekatdee Member Posts: 2
    The vic is the visual part that says your doors are open and sensors are out when they aren't. It gives you the date and time. It's above the ashtray.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    So much missing info. In what order did these things occur? Did you replace the #6 fuse after removing the VIC? When did the dome lights get stuck on? After removing the VIC? If so, I’d assume they are related. Possibly, for example, the signal for open door passes through the VIC to the dome light and now it is seeing a constant open circuit. I can’t imagine you can simply pull the VIC. There must be some bypass wiring involved to get everything talking as if it is still there. Who are these people who have removed theirs without issue and have you asked them about your problem?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S