Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Well Dewey

You know from years ago I have always praised the Lexus cars I have owned, and particularly the service.....No question it is not the agile car the Audi is, and each Lexus has had one major problem---usually in the first year of ownership////

I really didn`t mean the rx to be a girl car, and would be happy driving one...I meant I would spend more money on my daughter than I will spend on myself at this time in life, same for wife...I further think the H model would be fun to drive with an economy outlook.....I looked at a Prius today (parked ) and it certainly appeared to have alot of inside space....I can share your excitement anticipating using one..

There was a wildlife art show this weekend in Charleston, and there were many expensive cars driving around....I just don`t think they were recent purchases. :) Tony
  • Options
    I read your post before going to bed last night, and wished to myself `I wish I could do something to help`....All I could think of is encouragement, that God gave us a brain, and we must use it...You are doing so, and with severe discipline you will be able to save your house, and get back on your feet....You have the most important thing, and that is your health, and the love of your family, and time....I wish I could express myself ---as so many people on this board can--but my heart is with you Tony
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I so much appreciate your kindness. I want you to know that the good TagMan will be fine. Admittedly, I'm a good ways up the ladder, so if I take a few steps down, I'd still be in a very fortunate position, and it wouldn't be so bad. In spite of these recent huge challenges, I count my blessings often.

I can easily go without a few extra cars... at least for a little while. ;)

TM
  • Options
    Dewey,
    You and Charlie seem to be upbeat on the RX, and frankly, I don't get it. I'm open-minded, but you'd have to explain to me what the appeal is.

TM
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Tag,

I can't speak for Dewey, but here are my feelings about the new RX (especially the hybrid). The exterior look is nothing spectacular, but it is rather appealing to me and my wife. I am especially impressed with the interior layout. I am trying to recall everything I saw at the Detroit Auto Show, but first of all, it is quite modern looking. I love the positioning and size of the navigation screen compared to the present model. All the necessary controls are on the steering wheel. The instrument panel looks very nice. I am not sure how I will like the mouse/joy stick control, but I hear that it is very easy to use. This new model actually has more room inside even though the exterior dimensions are identical to the current model I believe. Also, the seats seemed to be very comfortable.

The system now recognizes voice commands much more easily. The high tech features now include, a camera on the drivers side that eliminates the blind spot, a lane departure warning system, radar cruise control, parking assist sensors, lots of safety features, and likely quite a few other neat toys that I cannot recall right now. Most importantly, the hybrid version gets considerably better gas mileage but it has more power than the previous model. I think we will very much enjoy taking trips with this vehicle.

I believe that several days ago I mistakenly indicated on a reply to Dewey that we will see the RX this Monday (tomorrow) when it is introduced by my dealer. However, the public showing is actually a week from tomorrow (the 23rd). We are looking forward to actually test drive it in the near future. The hybrid will be available some time this spring.
  • Options
    Sounds like the hybrid is preferrable to you, and you'll have to wait until Spring to know if it's right for you.

I guess I was always under the impression that the RX was over-priced. I'll look forward to your feedback when you test it.

I just finished reading quite a bit more about the 2010 Prius that Dewey is going to get, and I must say, it is indeed an amazing little car.

TM
  • Options
    The new Prius is indeed a fantastic car. I wish my wife would go for it. The price is certainly right and it has all the amazing new high tech features. She is paranoid about driving in snow without AWD.

Yes we are waiting for the RX450h.
  • Options
    gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    I saw the 2010 RX350 in a Scottsdale dealership last week. My wife has a RX330 and I consider the new model quite a significant upgrade, though I'm tired of SUVs. The interior and dash is very nice, with improved controls. I think the styling is much improved, also. The sales person said the the RX450 would follow in three months and the HS250h in another three months. I'm going to give that a look. I might go for the Ford Fusion Hybrid (around Mar. 10th), for a lot of tech people give it very high marks. I agree with the 2010 Prius excitement, too. That'd be pretty neat. My only complaint there is the rather small fuel tank and the bladder fueling lack of fill reliability. I like cruising range. The HS250h supposedly has a 18.5 gal. tank, with unknown mpg. The Fusion supposedly has a 17.5 gal tank, with about 36, or so, highway rating. -- GR
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Dewey,
    You and Charlie seem to be upbeat on the RX, and frankly, I don't get it. I'm open-minded, but you'd have to explain to me what the appeal is.

I know what you mean. The original at least was pretty awful to drive. Mediocre seats, bad driving position thanks to tilt-only steering wheel and not enough seat travel, and it had the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. The RX330 was an improvement, but it still drove like a Camry on stilts. My wife decided it had gotten too big, and she wanted something more involving, so we got the X3 - from the year BMW forgot how to make transmissions.
  • Options
    The Ford Fusion is going to be a major success... and a deserved one at that. Ford has pulled out all the stops for this hybrid. Even the glass is special, to provide a quiter interior. Get one with Microsoft Sync and NAV and the vehicle will be a high-tech value.

Ford has genuinely earned major kudos for their terrific hybrid vehicles, especially the upcoming Fusion.

TM
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Tag,

I don't know if the S400 ever got discussed here but if the GL does well, this car will be at the top of my list in a few years. BTW- I also like the RX hybrid but not as a next car.

http://www.hybridcars.com/vehicle/mercedes-benz-s400-hybrid.html
  • Options
    early74bearly74b Member Posts: 34
    To follow up as I attended the Chicago Auto Show yesterday and made some prelim' decisions which of course may change again by the time I'm ready to buy next year. The car I was most impressed with was a surprise, the VW Passat CC was by far the best 'value' I saw (not necessarily the two on display - both were VR6 models) but after looking up what mix of options I wanted with the turbo it was significantly less than many of the others. The BMW's were OK, but the interiors lacked the warmth of the VW, the Caddy CTS was a fine car but again not as refined as the VW (also on the CTS, I could see that the rear seat would be a tight fit without even sitting in it). As far as the Lexus, they may have nice materials, but the front-end of the new RX350 on display appeared to literally be missing something and sorry - but it's not something I'd like in my driveway (I'm sure it has more utility by being an SUV, just something I wouldn't need every day), the other models were huge (the LS series) or just OK in style. Now the Jaguar XF - all were locked tight with disinterested sales people; it looked quite nice in black so may take a closer at a dealer look but why be such snobs? Over at the MBZ stand, the S550 looked great but perhaps just too big, although they also showed the upcoming hybrid, 30 mpg on a car this big, hmm - the new GLK was OK, but tight squeeze past how the rear side door was cut. Over to the new Ford Taurus SHO -- this car was much, much bigger than my '93 (turns out its just an inch less than my DGC), the materials used looked decent but again, probably just more car than I want. Back to VW CC for another look, the frame less doors, the huge sunroof, the decent but not huge trunk and rear seating (most of my friends and co-workers are less than 6' 2" so should be OK based on road tests I've seen) and those great seats. Obviously, I couldn't drive any of the cars but if the VW CC drives as good as it looks this could be the one -- I'm not expecting the sporting nature of a BMW 3-series but as long as its smooth and doesn't wallow like a Town Car I could have found what I'm looking for - I'm going to the VW CC forum to check more with current owners.
  • Options
    I don't know if the S400 ever got discussed here but if the GL does well, this car will be at the top of my list in a few years. BTW- I also like the RX hybrid but not as a next car.

I understand that your current experience will be a guide for you... but, unfortunately, your GL experience just can't be a barometer for the overall reliability of Mercedes Benz. I certainly hope you continue to have a good experience with it, and we all know that car shoppers are inclined to consider the same brand when their previous experience was a good one. But Dewey's situation with his BMW is a classic example of how previous good experiences can not predict the reliability of the next car... most particularly when the statistical data already points to potential reliability problems.

Frankly, Mercedes Benz reliability data isn't all that terrific. Even Consumer Reports, which otherwise praised the GL, noted that the predicted reliability isn't very good. It's a crap shoot. It's a gamble I admit I've been willing to take for years. And you know I don't pay much attention to Consumer Reports when I buy cars, anyway.

I've owned a number of Mercedes in the past, and in terms of reliability, they were some of the best and worst cars I've ever owned, but not so bad that I wouldn't buy another... although I did have an E-Class "sport" model years ago that was constantly giving me problems with the electrical and brakes... especially the electrical. It was probably the second worst vehicle I ever owned.

The worst vehicle I ever owned, however, was a GMC Yukon XL Denali. It was an incredibly versatile vehicle that had major ultra-expensive problems... all covered under warranty and an extended service contract that I was smart enough to have purchased. But... yikes... what a piece of sh-t.

I originally posted a link on the S400 before you rejoined this wonderful group, and it seems like a terrific car, IMO... with my only concern being the lithium ion battery pack that has the A/C pumping through it. I am probably being overly concerned, as the entire industry is leaning towards lithium in the near term.

But, in general, I do have serious reservations about the use of lithium ion batteries in vehicles, because of the significant heat that they generate and the important requirement to cool them off. I will not be surprised if there are issues associated with the use of lithium ion batteries in the future. I personally think that the industry should be more patient by sticking with the conventional batteries for now, and then leap forward to the nano-technology batteries, which are much, much better than the lithium ion.

Who knows... Dewey may end up being glad about getting his Prius before they change the batteries over to lithium ion.

With regards to the RX, it just doesn't work for me. I guess if I were in that market, I'd have to give consideration to my daughter's choice. I learned a lesson when I bought her that Ford Escape Limited hybrid. It's really a terrific little SUV and an incredible value. But, this may really surprise you... cause I haven't posted this before... but, if I needed a new family SUV right now... I'd actually be most inclined to consider a well-equipped Toyota Highlander hybrid, especially if I needed three rows.

TM
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Agreed. Cost $1,900 for the extended warranty and well worth it for this junk-box of a Professional Grade truck. So far, the drive train is still good after 67K miles but the parts are failing like like the Global Financial Systems! :sick:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    ...this junk-box of a Professional Grade truck. So far, the drive train is still good after 67K miles but the parts are failing like like the Global Financial Systems!

Lucky you... Add those drivetrain issues to the failing parts, and you've got the picture!

TM
  • Options
    What year did you own? I will never get another GM SUV again. My wife likes the Enclave but she is extremely hesitant to replace the Yukon with anther GM product...

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    What year...

IIRC, a 2002 or 2003.

Even with the tow package, the drivetrain clearly couldn't handle towing my MasterCraft ski boat. THREE front differential failures, among other major issues, and minor parts failures. Bulbs were constantly burned out, especially the DRLs, and interior parts breaking off and falling off. A/C problems. Electrical short circuits. Transmission problems. Leaky seals. Suspension issues.

Like I said... Total P.O.S.

TM
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    A hockey aficionado ofcourse--part of our Canadian heritage.

Though my children do prefer playing soccer. Oh well not all Canadians are alike.
  • Options
    Why an RX?

Because its a new hybrid. The likelihood of me buying one is slight but I do like keeping an open mind before I buy my new vehicle.

As I previouslly mentioned my ideal vehicle would be a Toyota Highlander.3.5L hybrid (same drivetrain as a Lexus RX450h) Unfortuantely that does not exist. I can live without the Lexus luxuries. After being with spartan German cars I am used to that.
  • Options
    Really didn`t mean the rx to be a girl car, and would be happy driving one...I meant I would spend more money on my daughter than I will spend on myself at this time in life, same for wife.

I feel the same way. After owning my highly frustrating dream car I have no desire whatsoever in owning another so called dream car. Buying a reliable Prius that is as exciting as a microwave is my way of expressing "BMW Buyers' Remorse"
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Germany in World Cup matches reminds me of my BMW. They look the best but in the end they blow it.

Do you know how the saying goes?

"Soccer championships are played by a number of national teams to Germany winning in the end". :P

(The saying refers to the fact that German teams usually play a very boring but tenacious soccer. More muscle than head.)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Ours is a 2003 as well.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I feel the same way. After owning my highly frustrating dream car I have no desire whatsoever in owning another so called dream car. Buying a reliable Prius that is as exciting as a microwave is my way of expressing "BMW Buyers' Remorse"

Eh, I am in a different financial boat then you (lol perhaps I am in a sinking one at that :P) but I advise against getting something dull and boring if you know you aren't going to like it. I have logged a lot of miles in an '06 Prius and have to say its one of the most boring miserable cars I have ever driven (an '87 Hyundai Excel is another car at one point I logged seat time in, for reference...).

Also, I did something similar with respect to not getting the car I should've because of perceived external constraints. In '07 should've bought a MazdaSpeed6, a fun sporty sedan that was going for about 23k. Instead I bought an Accord EX, a bland family sedan that cost about 19k at the time. Now the economy is tanked, I can't get out of the Accord, they don't make the Speed6 anymore and I am pretty much SOL for fun cars.

It will take me a long time to recover from that purchase and by the time I do, I am sure any car even remotely fun will be ruled illegal by the CARB or some other eco- organization.
  • Options
    Tag,

Just for kicks, when the new RX is available in your area, go out and test drive it. We can then compare notes. Who knows? You may completely change your mind once you drive it and see all the features available on it.
  • Options
    Good idea Charlie. It always gets down to an honest and complete evaluation of a car, including a test drive, to really know what it's about. I know the general manager of the local Lexus dealership, so I'll check it out when it becomes available.

TM
  • Options
    Phil

Did you notice there was no new car smell---just a fresh smell-- in the new car?...My car came like that , and I asked and was told that they had eliminated the materials that would possibly cause cancer in the Audi.....I am going to try and get the breaks re done with the pads by axx or something like that....Just not to have that problem is something I also suggest to you...It really takes away from the ownership experience over time....

Although both our cars are way different than the little `civic` that I borrow sometimes---must be at least ten years old---I enjoy it alot, and don`t understand how many of our posters don`t appreciate the dynamics of a small car like that....It is what it is, hand crank windown with just a radio and a/c and is a bit stiff, but I enjoy it....I superimpose this immage on the Prius, therefore am probably making a mistake...but the civic is alot of fun---no nothing like the higher priced cars we talk about, but just a light thrifty no nonsense car that is fun to drive... I`m just going to have to drive the Prius and see for myself If they`l let me Tony
  • Options
    Yeah well at least your BMW performs like the 1990 West German team.

My humble expectations is that my Prius will perform like the Japanese soccer team.

I
  • Options
    Sometimes I wonder too.

The internet is swamped with BMW blogs/forums and any visitor there can feel the love or sometimes hate .But what you will never find in these sites is indifference.
  • Options
    I really can not see myself in a Prius. IMHO, there are ICE alternatives that are far more engaging even with a good blend of economy.

Do you have any alternative choices?

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I enjoy it alot, and don`t understand how many of our posters don`t appreciate the dynamics of a small car like that....It is what it is, hand crank windown with just a radio and a/c and is a bit stiff, but I enjoy it....I superimpose this immage on the Prius, therefore am probably making a mistake...but the civic is alot of fun---no nothing like the higher priced cars we talk about, but just a light thrifty no nonsense car that is fun to drive... I`m just going to have to drive the Prius and see for myself If they`l let me Tony

Its not a size thing, its driving dynamics. A BMW 135 actually weighs more than a Prius (by a few hundred pounds) and is much more engaging to drive. The Mini Cooper undercuts the Prius by several hundred pounds and is much more engaging to drive. A Mazda3 is about the same weight, and is much more engaging to drive. I think the Civic still has a light, purposeful feel about it, like our old 200k mile 1993 Civic DX.

I am not saying the Prius is a terrible vehicle by any means. My MIL has been very happy with hers and feels like she is supporting eco-political issues, but a car enthusiast she is not. And my FIL has an E46 3-series ;) My point is most people don't care about the driving experience and what vehicle they drive, they just want to get from point a to point b with the least amount of fuss and expense. If they can find a way to justify the higher initial purchase price, a Prius (or Insight, or Camry Hybrid or Civic Hybrid) might be a good choice for them, and the Ford Fusion Hybrid promises to have more engaging vehicle dynamics.

I, personally, would rather have something fun to drive, drive less, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Tony,

Yes, the famous new car smell has gone the way of the dodo I believe. Something like 5 years ago or so, studies showed volatile organic compounds from the glues, plastics, etc., were causing headaches & nausea to some folks. Further studies showed prolonged exposure to some of these could cause cancer, but, if I remember correctly, cancer resulting from the levels in a new car were inconclusive. However, erring on the side of caution, automakers began to work hard to reduce these VOCs, since common sense meant less was healthier.

As far as the brakes go, dust build up hasn't been as bad as I originally feared. Only thing that I can think of that is different than the first week having the car was that the brakes were brand new, and there was a lot of standing water I had to drive through that week. I just went 2 weeks between cleaning the wheels, and they weren't nearly as filthy as the first week. At this point, I don't mind the upkeep, but maybe I'll make a change once the honeymoon is over. ;)

From time to time, I do miss my old Civic. Son towed it to MO to use as a project car in my uncle's garage. 16 years old & still gets 35 mpg.

I'll have to wait & see what you & other's here find out about driving the new Prius. I have absolutely no desire to go check one out myself. :blush:
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I was going to respond to Tony about the new car smell being gone. I took delivery of an '09 A8 at the end of September, it had no real scent either, I was not aware that Audi had tried to engineer the scent out, I can't remember if my '06 had it.

I did cheat a bit, Griot's Garage sells little spray bottles of new car smell, I bought one and a bottle of leather smell. Neither work great but it does give a fresh scent every few weeks when I remember to spray a few squirts.

Also Phil, break dust on Audi's is better than the other german makes, it is still prevelant as you know but not so bad. Sometimes I just wipe it off with a rag when the wheels are dry, it comes off pretty easy. If you wax your wheels it helps as well, use a synthetic or Wheel Wax rather than Carnuba.
  • Options
    I, personally, would rather have something fun to drive...

I have held and posted that perspective here for years. But, one thing that certainly changes that is an individual's priorities. Many folks have no choice but to consider a car for its primary purpose, and they don't have the luxury of considering it for fun. And then, there are always those that just don't care... and I'm certainly not one of those. I like to enjoy driving as much as possible... but I am definately keeping my priorities more in mind than I have in a long time. And, frankly, I think many people are now doing the same thing.

TM
  • Options
    Just a quick note to say I though I saw you and your new car todsy--on Broad St..It turned out to be an A5--splendid looking car---and I think yours is an S5? t
  • Options
    Tony, wasn't me unless you saw a blur. ;-)

I do have the S5, meteor gray. If you see that, hopefully it's me or there's too many in our small town. ;-)

I will be posting pics soon before Tag yells at me again. :-)
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I will be posting pics soon

Please do it, Phil. ;)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Is there an A5 model with an "RS" badge on the side? I saw a beautiful white A5 coupe yesterday, and I'd swear I saw what looked like an RS badge on the side, located on the side/front quarter panel, just under the side marker light.

Gorgeous little coupe indeed. :)

TM
  • Options
    Hi Jose`

How goes it in Spain? Did the storm they were talking about `hit` up your way? Do you by chance get the tv shows that feature the `old` cars, like Bugatti etc. and the Pebble Beach car shows?? I hope you do as they are spectacular...Hopefully only a couple of weeks more `winter` then it starts to have a break, heading to Spring....Thank God for small things Tony
  • Options
    I don't know the timeline for the arrival of the RS5, so I can't testify to that. I'm purposely avoiding that kind of info/progress to minimize buyer's remorse. :P

I'm going to put together another carspace album with new pics here shortly. Be warned that if I blow the site up again, it's completely incidental. :blush:
  • Options
    From the night of picking her up....

• Options
    Preview seems to be working, let's try 2 more from pickup night.

Interior:

• Options
    after leaving the dealer:

• Options

• Options
    & I'm done for now. More pics in my albums if anyone cares, including a couple shots of the R8 that was mocking me the night of my purchase.

I'm embarrassed to show how dirty she is, I have since vacuumed her. :blush:

• Options
    I have held and posted that perspective here for years. But, one thing that certainly changes that is an individual's priorities. Many folks have no choice but to consider a car for its primary purpose, and they don't have the luxury of considering it for fun. And then, there are always those that just don't care... and I'm certainly not one of those. I like to enjoy driving as much as possible... but I am definitely keeping my priorities more in mind than I have in a long time. And, frankly, I think many people are now doing the same thing.

I very much agree with that sentiment. I definitely see the primary purpose of a vehicle as transportation, but I think beyond that, as an enthusiast (and it sounds like everyone in here is in that category), the car needs to offer a connection and provide something extra, like the CTS commercial that inquired "when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"

I thing there are ways of having one's cake and eating it too. If fuel economy is a primary measure, vehicles like the new Jetta TDI gets fantastic fuel economy, and drives like a German car should. The Fusion Hybrid offers more entertaining driving dynamics than the Prius or Camry Hybrid.

If its strictly a matter of budget, Audi/VW has the A3 and the GTI or for something a little less economical but considerably more powerful, there is the MazdaSpeed3.

I think buying the '07 Accord made me realize life is too short to drive something that lifeless (and the Accord is considered to be more spirited then most in its class).

I realize I am talking about 15-25k cars in a room of 35k+, but right now where I am at in my life, that is the only frame of reference I have. Thanks for humoring me and drawing the parallels where need be.
  • Options
    Congrats on your purchase, that is a beautiful machine, sir!
  • Options
    I think you make perfect sense. Reminds me of some posts I made years ago. I like to entertain more than one tier... IOW, in addition to an upper end car, I used to like an additional fun car, or two, at different price points. For example, I recently owned a VW GTI. It was tons of fun. But as was so often the case, I traded it in. :blush:

I now think it's actually possible to "enjoy" a car for reasons other than it's performance numbers. I used to not believe that... but I do now. I'm willing to bet the ranch that there are folks that truly enjoy driving their Prius, or their Lexus sedan, for example. They enjoy them for reasons that don't necessarily pertain to spirited driving, but rather for the luxury, or "green technology", among other valid reasons.

I would not have posted this years ago, but as I've said, I am Tag's evil twin, and I killed the original Tag.

TM
  • Options
    The wait was worth it. Two thumbs up!

Fantastic automobile.

TM
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    ago, I found myself in a position to buy a new car that cost more than any I'd bought before -- the kind of car that would allow me to read posts in forums like this, and even post once in awhile. I wanted some luxury to go with the sport I'd demanded/enjoyed all my life to that point -- '65 MGB, 240-Z, 510 (heavily modified, by me), Miata R pkg.

Stupidly (in retrospect), I bought into the hype at the time, which resulted in my Lincoln LS ownership. It turned out to be a great car, but the "experience" left a lot to be desired. I will only drive a manual transmission, and the 5-series was considerably more money, besides which I hadn't yet come to grips with the fact that not all people who drive BMWs are yuppie scum. I've grown since then.

I'd have been much happier had I bought the 5 or, better yet, a 3. The car I bought turned out to be an orphan, & the '00 3-series was a definite winner. Oh well.

The car I bought (not leased -- I don't do leases, though I came close when the BMW subsidy became beyond amazing) after the Lincoln was an Acura TSX. Good fuel economy, nice manual transmission, several lux features & pretty damn good handling, for an FWD appliance. I used to be a RWD/manual snob but, once again, I've grown.

If Acura hadn't added the beak this year, I'd have already suggested it. They did, so I didn't.

However, anyone who could stomach a Pious might be able to deal with the TSX with the beak. The Honda (Acura) is at least fun to drive.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    I now think it's actually possible to "enjoy" a car for reasons other than it's performance numbers. I used to not believe that... but I do now. I'm willing to bet the ranch that there are folks that truly enjoy driving their Prius, or their Lexus sedan, for example. They enjoy them for reasons that don't necessarily pertain to spirited driving, but rather for the luxury, or "green technology", among other valid reasons.

I think thats a great point. My MIL feels very good about her Prius, she feels she is making a contribution in reducing her fuel consumption, carbon footprint etc. She does have a sense of pride when she drives it. She also rides her bike to work most days anyway, so she definitely walks the walk in addition to talking the talk. To me, the car feels like purgatory and when I am home, I ride my bike a lot (or make a play for my FIL's 330 or my dad's G35).

I think the idea that performance might be defined by MPG, CO2 emissions, in addition to 0-60 times, slalom speeds liters per 100 miles, resale value, or any other measures is a good reason there are so many choices available to us.