Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How close is MSRP to final sales price?

Justin_Jared0Justin_Jared0 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2019 in General
I've never purchased a vehicle before, and due to that -- I'm weary of MSRP advertisements advertising vehicle values.

I'm always afraid that if I were to enter a car dealership and attempt to inquire about a vehicle advertised as being for sale with an MSRP of $20,000 as an example, it'll end up being sold to me for a total of maybe twice that even if no alterations were made to the advertised vehicle to effect it's value substantially or at all.

Taxes, title payments, registration fees, drivers plate fees, and insurance fees will be added to the MSRP, but how bad can those add-ons be -- and how bad can unexpected additional add-ons be? If you went to a car dealership and directly inquired about a vehicle advertised for being a certain value regarding it's advertised MSRP, how much more or less can you expect to pay for the vehicle in it's final sales price if sold as advertised with no alterations?

How do MSRP's work? How close are MSRP's to final sales price from your experience? What should you expect to pay as your final sales price based on your sale vehicles MSRP at time of sale?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

I've never purchased a vehicle before, and due to that -- I'm weary of MSRP advertisements advertising vehicle values.

I'm always afraid that if I were to enter a car dealership and attempt to inquire about a vehicle advertised as being for sale with an MSRP of $20,000 as an example, it'll end up being sold to me for a total of maybe twice that even if no alterations were made to the advertised vehicle to effect it's value substantially or at all.

Taxes, title payments, registration fees, drivers plate fees, and insurance fees will be added to the MSRP, but how bad can those add-ons be -- and how bad can unexpected additional add-ons be? If you went to a car dealership and directly inquired about a vehicle advertised for being a certain value regarding it's advertised MSRP, how much more or less can you expect to pay for the vehicle in it's final sales price if sold as advertised with no alterations?

How do MSRP's work? How close are MSRP's to final sales price from your experience? What should you expect to pay as your final sales price based on your sale vehicles MSRP at time of sale?

It depends on the vehicle.

Edmunds has research from actual transaction prices, here:
    https://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html

Start getting some quotes, and scrutinize the numbers. You'll soon see a pattern for DMV charges, doc fees, etc.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator