Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought/leased a new car online and requested a home delivery due to coronavirus? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/5 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Typical dealership policy for service screwups

PbjamminPbjammin Posts: 1
edited December 2019 in BMW
I had my scheduled oil change at the same dealership where I bought my X1 brand new. After about 100 miles of freeway driving, on a trip from San Francisco to Santa Barbara, my dash light came on warning me of the car needing a quart of oil. I pulled over and called my service rep at the dealership. I was asked if the car was smoking, or temp was up and told that I could just add a quart of oil, that “the guns used must have been programmed incorrectly”. I swung by another BMW dealership and they dumped in a quart, without checking anything. About 30 min later, the light came on again. Again, I called my service rep. I was asked if the temp was up (no). Again, I asked if it could be a problem from the oil change and was told that it would have showed up closer in time to the oil change, and that maybe if was a failed sensor. I even said that it was pretty coincidental, but was again told that if I had a problem down the road, just to use the BMW emergency button and a tow truck would come. The yellow light stayed on, throughout the trip, but I never smelled any engine smell, or saw smoke, even though I pulled over twice to call. When I arrived in Santa Barbara, I called the local dealership for an appt to check the sensor. On the drive there, the red light came on and said I should stop immediately because of low oil. A service rep came on the emergency service and said I should stop immediately. When I stopped, I noticed the burned oil smell. While I waited for the tow truck, the last of the oil drained out, maybe half a quart. So, here’s my question: even though the engine didn’t seize, there was clearly a time when the engine ran hot without much oil. This will probably shorten the life of this little supercharged 4-banger, given that most of my driving is on this same trip to visit my sister who is in hospice. Is there a standard policy to cover claims that haven’t happened yet? Can I ask for an extended warranty on the engine to 200K miles? (Currently have one to 100K miles, but I routinely get more than that from cars that I keep and maintain.) Can I ask for the cost of a new engine be put into an escrow account? Is there legal recourse? Despite my having been lulled into a false sense of security by conversations with the service rep, I do understand that the car tried to get me to listen to the warning lights.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 148,569
    What was determined to be wrong with your vehicle? Is it still in the shop?
    Why did it lose all of the oil?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator