Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should cell phone drivers be singled out?

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Delusions about seatbelt laws being some kind of violation of liberties.

No delusion there it is a violation of personal liberties.

Nice story, in a car that doesn't even exist.

Well it existed right up until I got broadsided by a speeding Camaro (or was it a Firebird?) and pushed into a barrier. Mom was awfully mad at me when that happened.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    We don't always agree pal, but I do strongly agree with you on this subject pal.

Rocky
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    So you demand that everybody in the restaurant where you eat remain in total silence?

I wasn't referring to McDonalds. For some reason people talking on cell phones seem to think they have to raise their voice to be heard over the longer distance.

On a recent flight I could hear a loud voice prior to take-off. I thought he was right behind First Class. He was in about row 20 on a 737. He continued the conversation until the stewardess had to force him to shut off his cell phone for take-off.

I know that has nothing to do with cell phones distracting drivers. It is just my long time distaste for the things. When I see people not paying attention with a phone in their ear while driving it adds to that feeling.

Maybe I am in the minority. Wouldn't be the first time.
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    I think the writer of post number 193 is stating the situation accurately.
    Cell phones ARE an unnecessary distraction. EVERYDAY, while driving I run across an exhibition of poor driving and ask myself "What's the matter with that other driver?". When I get a closer look I discover the answer...the driver has his/her mind on a phone conversation, not on driving.
    If police will actively target these inconsiderate drivers, maybe they won't routinely dial and drive. The cell phone distraction become more serious when there are two cell phone drivers in the same place at the same time, because then NEITHER is watching out for the other guy.
    Regarding issuing a citation for carrying a cell phone in the car, that is inappropriate ... if the cell phone is powered off. The situation is similar to issuing tickets for carrying unopened liquor in the car. It would be unfair to ticket me for driving home from the grocery store with an unopened six pack. It is unfair to ticket me for carrying my powered off cell phone in the car.
    Now, if the cell phone is powered on, that is debatable. If the driver hears the cell phone ring, will he/she look for a safe place to pull over before answering the call. I think not.
  • tpetpe Member Posts: 2,342
    Cell phones ARE an unnecessary distraction

Do you care to provide some examples of necessary or, at least, acceptable distractions?

The situation is similar to issuing tickets for carrying unopened liquor in the car. It would be unfair to ticket me for driving home from the grocery store with an unopened six pack. It is unfair to ticket me for carrying my powered off cell phone in the car.

What if the cell phone is powered on but the battery is dead? Would that be comparable to having an empty beer can in your car?
    Do you care to provide some examples of necessary or, at least, acceptable distractions?

The fact is that there will always be distractions and a good driver with good driving skills will be able to drive safely and effectively with reasonable distractions. A poor driver will be a poor driver with very little distractions.

• gliderguy52gliderguy52 Member Posts: 11
    How's this for a necessary use of cell phone: Calling the state patrol to report an erratic driver, calling 911 to report a wreck with injuries, etc. There are plenty of VERY good uses for cell phones on the roadways. I tend to agree that there is evidence of drivers on cell phones not paying attention to driving, just as there are drivers who can't pay attention to driving because they are doing any number of other things. Multi-tasking takes training and discipline.

Let me ask another question...should police/fire/ambulance driver be allowed to use their communications radios while driving?

It all boils down to one thing: The ability to properly prioritize your duties as a driver. Pilots have learned this years ago. There is a very old saying among pilots: Aviate, navigate, then communicate. In other words FIRST: fly the airplane, then ONLY when the airplane is truely under control, determine where you are now, and where you'll be in the next 2 minutes, 5 minutes and 10 minutes. Now that the airplane is under full control, and you are sure of it's location, ONLY then, tell someone about it! If you talk first, and drive later, you'll not get to where you're going.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >of poor driving and ask myself "What's the matter with that other driver?". When I get a closer look I discover the answer...the driver has his/her mind on a phone conversation,

I see that at 4-way stopsigns and all kinds of other driving situations. Dawdling, tailgating, erratic driving--cellphone to the ear.

Had a lady run into me at the local UDF (United Dairy Farmers-7-11 type store) this morning. I was topping my decaf with cappuccino from the machine. She bumped me. Talking on the #&%^ cellphone inside the store.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Personally, I think any thoughts not pertaining to driving should be illegal. And scenery, got to abolish that. The roadside should be cleared of everything within sight. Just gray felt for about 1/2 mile on both sides should do it.

How many times have you seen folks stop short, drive erratically, etc. when searching for an address, the correct turnoff, etc?

Maybe banning cars altogether is the only remedy :)

I hate folks that talk loudly and incessantly on my train commute. But while cell phone users are often the culprit, it's just as often inconsiderate face to face blabbing. At least I only have to hear HALF the cell phone conversation.

BTW, the reason folks talk louder on cell phones is that they (unlike land-based phones) do not amplify the outbound voice in the talker's ear, so folks unaware of this talk louder to compensate for what they are used to. I try to be conscious of this and talk very softly. Amazingly, folks (on the other end of the call) hear me just fine.

Fact is that laws banning cell phone usage are a perfect example of pop regulation for its own sake. I use a phone all while driving (not a lot) and it doesn't distract me much at all, unlike many other legal things can.

Bottom line is that we count on drivers to be responsible and attentive enough...sure, some are not, but this is the way it is. Pretending that reality is otherwise is inane.
    Personally, I think any thoughts not pertaining to driving should be illegal. And scenery, got to abolish that.

Nope to expensive and the environmental nut cases will have a fit. Much easier to black out all the car windows. :P

I hate folks that talk loudly and incessantly on my train commute. But while cell phone users are often the culprit, it's just as often inconsiderate face to face blabbing. At least I only have to hear HALF the cell phone conversation.

I often wonder if the reason some people hate cell phone users nearby is that they can only hear one end of the conversation.

Some of the examples are silly. People looking at scenery are still aware of the road and traffic in front of them.

Most of the other comments have nothing to do with the distraction of people when talking on a cellphone. That implies there is no real discussion about people not being distracted while talking on a cellphone so that point is made.

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Had a lady run into me at the local UDF (United Dairy Farmers-7-11 type store) this morning. I was topping my decaf with cappuccino from the machine. She bumped me. Talking on the #&%^ cellphone inside the store.

An office complex that I had worked at in the past had sidewalks between buildings and various sidewalks intersecting parking lot roads. I would occasionally conduct personal business on my cell phone at lunchtime while taking my daily walk. Surprisingly, I found it was a little bit of a challenge to avoid bumping into other walkers or those going to or coming from lunch (cars and people). Maybe I am one of those who can't chew gum, walk and avoid stepping on sidewalk cracks.

Have never seen any TV ads by cell phone providers similar to beer commercials where the beer company reminds viewers to drink responsibly or have a designated driver. But, have seen neat gunslinger slapping ad as well as dentist looking into woman's mouth on airplane and Can you hear Me.

Never once have I seen an ad by a cell phone service provider stating to use cell phones responsibly in cars by first stopping vehicle in safe and lawful place for driver to make cell call. It is well beyond the time for the cell providers to step up and be responsible by inserting safety into some of their commercials. There are so many themes they could use that would grab attention. One could be a lone driver on a cell phone driving off the road into a cornfield (after harvest) and not hurting anything/anyone. The corrective part of this ad would then show a previous spot on the roadway that the driver passed where he could have pulled off in a safe and legal manner to initiate the cell call.

It would be nice if cell providers started their own safety ads rather than waiting for possible public outcry and more laws.
    Some of the examples are silly. People looking at scenery are still aware of the road and traffic in front of them.

Yep and people on cell phones are aware of the road and traffic in front of them. The whole point is that a distraction is a distraction is a distraction so why pick on one while ignoring the root of the problem?

Some of the examples are silly.

Only some? Damn! :)

People talking on the phone are still aware of the road, too. More than those saying "Look at that giant cow over thar!" since they don't have to look over thar to talk.

The rest is mostly about other distractions, as in, reasons not to "single out".
    Maybe I am one of those who can't chew gum, walk and avoid stepping on sidewalk cracks.

Well maybe you should try it and find out. I have on several occasions walked down crowded sidewalks, in the Loop no less, while talking on a cell phone had found no difficulty avoiding people, even the yahoos from Nebraska gawking at the tall buildings.

I often wonder if the reason some people hate cell phone users nearby is that they can only hear one end of the conversation.

That's sad. We should give them a cell phone so they can go talk to someone.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    ALL forms of driving distractions need to be addressed equaly.

Nah. Let's get our priorities straight and pick on the most conspicuous problem -- compulsive cell phone gabbers. It's now 4:30 p.m. here in central CT. So far today I've nearly been hit by a gabber who drove through a stop sign, another who was backing out of a parking spot over at the steenkin mall, and had my doubts about two others who were approaching me while straddling the dbl yellow on a two-lane road.

I'm sure everyone on this forum is smart enough to drive an F1 car while simultaneously gabbing to Peter Windsor on their celly, composing haiku and working out a Trig problem. Still, what I observe daily does not suggest that this is the norm.

Someone will reply that my examples are anecdotal, not conclusive. Well,save it. If it comes down to believing my daily experience or the prose of folks who write term papers for a living, I'll go with my daily experience.

While we're on the topic of driver distractions, let me mention the slow, weaving pick up truck I observed ambling down the Maine turnpike on a moonlit evening this summer. When I carefully passed, the missus and I observed that the driver and his GF were a he'n and a she'n. Inadvisable, to be sure, but still, I see far more distracted cell phone users.
    Was that you, bobbin and weavin ahead of me on I91 while writing that last post on your laptop?

...compulsive cell phone gabbers.

Pretty much any compulsive behavior, while driving, is going to be a problem. But a normal cell phone conversation is not, usually.

...drive an F1 car while simultaneously gabbing to Peter Windsor on their celly, composing haiku and working out a Trig problem.

I dunno. But I think talking on a cell phone is a durn sight easier than that would be :)
    >Yep and people on cell phones are aware of the road and traffic in front of them.

I think we disagree, snakeweasel.

I found that when I started to use a cell phone from work I would occasionally get a late call while I drove home. I was not able to concentrate on driving and concentrate on trouble-shooting the reason the caller rang me. I still see that I can't do both. Perhaps I'm just incompetent and everyone else isn't, but the research reports seem to support my feeling. Talking to someone in the car is different or listening to someone else in the car. Looking at the cornfields and soybeans is a great refresher while driving. It takes your eyes off the road.

And to be on topic since the 'host' reminded us..., yes they should be singled out and cited. Maybe someone can invent the equivalent of the redlight camera/speed cameras and just put those up in random, changing places to give out citations...

even the yahoos from Nebraska gawking at the tall buildings.

Wait a minute. I'm from Illinois and I look up at tall buildings when in Chicago, but not when walking or on a cell phone. I stop in a safe place on the sidewalk and then look up.
    I think we disagree, snakeweasel

Yeah people who are wrong do tend to disagree with me. :P

I found that when I started to use a cell phone from work I would occasionally get a late call while I drove home.

I do also get the occasional call while driving. Depending on who it is I either leave it alone of pick it up. I have found that when I pick it up am still well aware of the road, its conditions and the traffic around me. FWIW I am more aware of the road and traffic if I am on the phone on my way home from work than I am on a Saturday morning on say I-180 downstate not on the phone.

I am skeptical about those studies because everyone cites them but I have yet to see the supporting documentation for their conclusions. Especially since other facts I have looked into somewhat deeply contradict those studies.

I stop in a safe place on the sidewalk and then look up.

there are those that do and then there are those that wander around looking up unaware that they are walking in front of people (and sometimes cars).

• jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Yep and people on cell phones are aware of the road and traffic in front of them. The whole point is that a distraction is a distraction is a distraction so why pick on one while ignoring the root of the problem?

Snakeweasel, what's your point? Cell phone conversation while driving is a major distraction while driving, and NOT equally so compared to others, like scenery or reading road signs. You can't eliminate scenery, and let's hope people DO read road signs, but you can eliminate driver's cell phones use in the car. If we could eliminate every distraction drivers are face with, that would be great. But we can't, so why not go for the known distractions, a big one being cell phone use while driving?
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    I didn't mean to imply that the mere presence of a cellular phone at an accident scene would implicate liability or wrongdoing. If a phone is discovered, the police would have access to the drivers phone records to assess if a conversation had occurred at the time of the accident. If so, then this would be held against the driver.
    Snakeweasel, what's your point?

My point is that people can be aware of whats going on around them when they are on a cell phone. Those who drive poorly when on a cell phone most likely drive poorly when off a cell phone.

Cell phone conversation while driving is a major distraction while driving, and NOT equally so compared to others, like scenery or reading road signs.

But there are other distractions that are equally distracting or even more so than using a cell phone.

But we can't, so why not go for the known distractions, a big one being cell phone use while driving?

Ok my sisters car one time almost got totaled because someone was distracted by their kids (I was also rear ended once by someone being distracted the same way but that was a very low speed collision), so why don't we outlaw kids in a car?

instead of doing something that really does nothing lets address the root cause, poor driving habits.

If a phone is discovered, the police would have access to the drivers phone records to assess if a conversation had occurred at the time of the accident. If so, then this would be held against the driver.

What if there is more than one person in the car?

"Ah your honor yes that was my phone, yes i was driving and yes the phone was in use at the time. But you see your honor my buddy was using my phone because he was out of minutes on his."

It would be interesting to see properly conducted tests of a cross section of drivers (age, experience, income, etc) negotiating a non-racing slalom (cones, road hazard objects suddenly ejected into vehicle path, etc). Drivers would go through the course twice - once while talking to a test controller person on a cell phone and once with no phone. The test controller would use a standardized script requiring the driver to "think" and formulate a response before responding.

Besides cones being knocked down or not, cameras could document the path of the car and how well the driver did or did not evade the hazard objects. Each driver's second time through would have hazard objects ejected differently from the first.

Half of the universe of test drivers would make their first drive while talking on a cell phone and the other half would make their first drive without a phone.
    If we could eliminate every distraction drivers are face with, that would be great. But we can't, so why not go for the known distractions, a big one being cell phone use while driving?

Agreed. It is the low hanging fruit, one of the Vital Few. Except for police, paramedics, FBI and similar authorities, there is absolutely no pressing need for drivers to use cell phone while driving. In an emergency (highway accident, debris in road, etc), drivers can always find a safe place to stop to place the call. People will need to practice self discipline to not make business or frivolous calls while driving.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Wrong and wrong. I think a hefty speeding ticket will make you slow down a bit, along with the increase in car insurance the next year. That is unless you have more money than common sense. Laws can help. And yes some will simply do as they may, like driving drink or using the cell phone while the car is in motion regardless of the law. But it will help.

And the law is not just to make extra money.
    -Loren
    On another thread there was a link posted to a scientific paper which concluded that trucks and full sized SUVs created an additional hazard to drivers of smaller vehicles. This seemed very plausible to me. Do you think the drivers of these type of vehicles care? Maybe but not enough to opt for a smaller vehicle. So even if cell phones do create a hazard on the roadways it just represents another example of putting personal interests above the general interest. I have no problem with SUV drivers doing this and they need to deal with me occasionally talking on my cell phone. Regardless, it's just another unenforceable law. If I'm on a hands free cell phone how is anyone going to know?
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    When they did some of the first studies on this it was discovered that Cell phones were only one of the Major distractions some drivers had. Eating a Big Mack has been going on in cars for a lot longer than Cell phones and once that puppy is in your face you can't see the road ad all. Not against the law. Arguing with your kids in the back seat rates pretty high up there as a distraction. Not against the law. Drinking the last half of that Starbucks double shot makes it hard to see anything below hood level, not against the law. But then the new California law only makes hand held units against the law and by 2008 who won't have a Blue tooth style hands free? Not many people have a contract that last more than two years. How many new phones will even need a hand unit?
    I've got another test. Take drivers to an uncongested road with no cross traffic. Half these drivers are talking on a cell phone and half are not. Now let's see if outside observers can identify which group each driver falls into.
  • kapbotkapbot Member Posts: 113
    Disclaimer: I am as big an idiot as anyone. I have been as guilty of eating, talking on the phone, DUI, (never arrested), stupidity, inattentiveness, etc., as anyone.
    The problem isn't about what activities need to be legislated, or who's a better driver than who, or whatever. In my opinion, the problem in this country is that too many people think that driving a heavy piece of metal is just another aspect of normal life, i.e., nothing to waste any precious brain power over.
    This topic seems to cross over into the inconsiderate drivers thread. I think too many people feel that their universe ends at the end of their nose.
    I'm going to do what I do, if you don't like it, kiss my but. I'm more important than you, so get out of my way. I am so important, I must be available 24/7, regardless of the rest of the world. I paid mucho dinero for my car, how dare you impede my progress. Etc.
    Personally, I feel that too much law enforcement is dedicated to speeding, when almost every other aspect of vehicle operation is more important to public safety.
    Also, there are already too many laws on the books. Lets just try to enforce the one's we have. Cell phone usage and other distractions are already covered by existing laws.
    I could go on forever, I think. Hopefully, here is some food for thought.
    I agree with a lot of what you've said. Even though I believe we have too many laws already here's a new one that I could support. For every new law that gets enacted 2 existing laws need to be eliminated.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Rather than that, simply monitor any section of road anywhere for awhile.

I guess I'm incredulous that anyone would suggest that cellphone use does not negatively impact driving ability.

In addition to the self-evident fact that any user's mind is going to be distracted from driving to some degree, there's the physical aspect of just holding the phone (except for those with a hands-free set-up).
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Agreed!

I keep waiting for a candidate to base her/his campaign on the premise that s/he'll only repeal existing laws if elected.
    I've been participating in this thread since the beginning and I'm not aware of anyone stating that operating a cell phone has zero effect on their ability to operate the vehicle. There are several people that believe if you responsibly choose your situations the use of a cell phone will have a neglible impact on highway safety.
    For every new law that gets enacted 2 existing laws need to be eliminated.

The reason we have so many laws is simple. We elect a sleazy lawyer into office that makes laws. We hire a sleazy lawyer to get us off the hook when we break the law. That means the first lawyer has to write a new law to fill in the loop hole found by the second lawyer. We should not need a law to say don't kill someone else. How many laws and degrees do we have for murder and manslaughter?
    Yeah, we've got quite a system.

We need to pay an expert to tell us how much we owe in taxes because there's no way the average citizen could be knowledgeable of all the tax laws.

If ever accused of a crime we need to pay a lot of money for someone to represent us because, again, there's no way the average citizen is knowledgeable of all the laws we are bound by.

And if we have enough money the laws become irrelevant.

And this situation continues to get worse. It's kind of disheartening. And maybe more disheartening that so many people believe the system works.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Hold it! This:

"If we could eliminate every distraction drivers are face with, that would be great. But we can't, so why not go for the known distractions, a big one being cell phone use while driving?"

goes right to the heart of what I am saying - there are plenty of distractions we could eliminate legislatively if we wanted to, it's just that they're so popular, the public outcry would kill it. Could we outlaw eating a Big Mac combo in the car amd driving with our elbows? Sure we could! In fact, that one would also be easy to police, and is the cause of PLENTY of really crappy driving, believe me. I see that one several times a week (it's not specifically a Big Mac every time, you understand, but you get the gist). Could we outlaw DVD players in cars, even for the passengers? Sure we could! When the kids start bitching that the movie ended or they want to see part again and you take your eyes off the road and your hands off the wheel to deal with it, no-one here can convince me that you aren't more distracted from the act of driving than I am on my cell phone.

The real reason this cell phone legislation finally got through is that the cell phone users didn't raise enough of a stink. Go ahead, try to outlaw eating (and drinking?) while driving, in-car DVD players, ANY and ALL programmable A/V devices in the car (including radio presets, which require concentrating on the stereo to set - how many here have done THAT while they were driving, especially in a rental, eh??), and arguing with the kids or trying to quiet them while driving, and see if you get reelected. See if you can even get such legislation to pass.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

there are plenty of distractions we could eliminate legislatively if we wanted to,

Screw legislation. What does that accomplish? A $100 fine and maybe a couple points to the violator. Why not educate as to the real consequences of bad driving, which can be a lot more severe? Will this educational approach be 100% effective? No, not even close. But it will be far superior to the 0% effectiveness that our legislative approach achieves.

I've asked this question before. Exactly what is it about laws that our society finds so appealing? I'm speculating here but maybe its a false sense of security and control. Well it's time to pull your head out of the sand. It is a false sense.
    I see these other distractions also. Not near to the extent of cell phone usage. I would bet more people use a cell phone while driving than a CD player. I found that to be distracting when I used mine. Now I have XM with steering wheel controls. Very little distraction. Gives me more free time to read a novel while driving.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    I have tried to stay out of this but it seems to be careening toward some "No laws are good laws miasma", but being Irish, among other things I can not resist a losing battle.

1) I own a cell phone. I don't use it while driving. If I reach someone on their cell while driving, I ask them to pull over to talk; if they don't, I get off the phone fast as I love my friends and family!

2) I recently read a Calif. Highway Patrol analysis of accidents caused by driver distractions and although cell phones placed second, I believe, behind eating while driving, it still causes a lot of accidents. I did stop eating while driving though, having never given it much thought before.

3) In Calif. you can be cited for not having complete control of your car ie: eating, shaving, preparing power point presentations, using your cell phone and more. Some officers will enforce it , others will not, largely because the most common form of officer deaths and injuries happen at "T Stops".

4) I like laws and rules and the people who make them, uphold them, enforce them and adjudicate them. I also like the rules/laws we are compelled to operate under on this forum - they are necessary to keep the troglodytes from running completely amok.

5) I know of no one who imagines that laws solve problems per se. They do establish a standard of civilized behavior that attempts to minimize danger to others. If someone wants to run their car into a brick wall on private property while holding a cell phone, and the carnage does not involve any public involvement ie: police, emergency rooms, welfare to dependent families, increased taxes to support all of this, then lets sell tickets to the event and solve two problems with one stroke; a) cell phone user bent on death to others, b) revenue enhancement to help defray the cost generated by the remaining cell phone drivers.

What do you think?
    What do you think?

I'll tell you what I think. I'm Irish and I have serious reservations regarding you're pedigree. We are supposed to drink a lot of beer and question all authority. If you tell me that you don't like beer then maybe you might want to get a DNA test.
    I believe one study involved driver trainer modules where people actually do drive in a simulator. They were tested with/without cellphones. It was done in a scientific manner. Cellphones are a major distractor.

Having to think about how to phrase something you're going to say, having to listen to what's said and interpret the comments without any body language even in peripheral vision, all is much mroe distracting to the brain than looking over at a road sign or a Bob Evan's sign while traveling I70.

> I did stop eating while driving though, having never given it much thought before.

I find that is a real problem. Cutting the Outback steak while you'redoing 70 can be a real problem. And the grilled vegetables get cold fast.

Based on some of the posts I'm starting to consider that this might really be an individual issue. People are stating that they have witnessed others having a hard time walking straight while talking on a cell phone. My personal belief on this is that walking requires less focus than driving. If there are actually people that can't walk and talk on a cell phone that might be a good test to weed out people that shouldn't be driving period.
    My personal belief on this is that walking requires less focus than driving. If there are actually people that can't walk and talk on a cell phone that might be a good test to weed out people that shouldn't be driving period.

Would agree that walking requires less focus. Maybe test you ought to take is walking in downtown Chicago with the Snake from Canal St to Michigan Ave at 5 PM on a business week day and carry on an intensive conversation on the cell phone. And, you could take a Snake challenge to also be looking up at the tall buildings and be mesmerized by the world's most beautiful skyline.
    you could take a Snake challenge to also be looking up at the tall buildings.

The "Snake Challenge" sounds like a good test. We might have to come up with a simulator because of the impracticality of flying everyone out to Chicago.
    Why not educate as to the real consequences of bad driving, which can be a lot more severe? Will this educational approach be 100% effective? No, not even close.

Commercials for casinos have a tag at the end for gamblers that want to kick the habit telling them to call an 800 number. Maybe cell phone service providers could volunteer (or be forced by law) to also put a tag on the end of their commercials asking that drivers practice safe cell phone use and to not use cell phones unless safely parked somewhere.

More educational stuff could be put on TV by NHTSA and/or IIHS similar to Smokey the Bear and the Native American in a canoe shedding a tear about pollution years ago. These spots could show videos of crashes and the people killed or injured by cell phone users. They would then show examples of how a driver with a cell phone could pull off the road into a safe spot and then make a cell call. Could be a lot of drivers that make cell calls don't know how to do this.

A group such as BADuCP (busybodies against drivers using cell phones) or CCADuCP (citizens concerned about drivers using cell phones) could be formed promoting safe cell phone use. If the group took off and got sufficient donations, they could run TV spots with video showing the carnage caused by drivers irresponsibly using cell phones. They could also show examples of how to pull off the road into a safe place to make a cell call.