Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you in the market for a new car and having a hard time finding affordable options? A reporter would like to speak with you; please reach out to [email protected] by 2/26 for more details.

Can I safely ask for lower than Edmunds Suggested Price ?

ahmadkaahmadka Posts: 16
edited December 2019 in Mazda
Apologies if this is a n00b question, but this is the first time I'm buying (financing) a new car so I want to ask, how much of a lower price than the 'Edmunds Suggested Price' can I ask for, when negotiating with a dealer ?

I'm interested in getting a 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD, and in my area the rough price (before any financing stuff, taxes, etc.) Edmunds is suggesting is about $38,000 ~ $39,500. Since this is a little expensive for me, can I perhaps ask for something like $35,000 ~ $36,000 when negotiating with a local dealer ?

Comments

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 174,856
    ahmadka said:

    Apologies if this is a n00b question, but this is the first time I'm buying (financing) a new car so I want to ask, how much of a lower price than the 'Edmunds Suggested Price' can I ask for, when negotiating with a dealer ?

    I'm interested in getting a 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD, and in my area the rough price (before any financing stuff, taxes, etc.) Edmunds is suggesting is about $38,000 ~ $39,500. Since this is a little expensive for me, can I perhaps ask for something like $35,000 ~ $36,000 when negotiating with a local dealer ?

    you can offer whatever price you want. However, don't be surprised if the dealer rejects that offer and counters with a different number. That's the whole point of negotiation.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • Michaell said:

    ahmadka said:

    Apologies if this is a n00b question, but this is the first time I'm buying (financing) a new car so I want to ask, how much of a lower price than the 'Edmunds Suggested Price' can I ask for, when negotiating with a dealer ?

    I'm interested in getting a 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD, and in my area the rough price (before any financing stuff, taxes, etc.) Edmunds is suggesting is about $38,000 ~ $39,500. Since this is a little expensive for me, can I perhaps ask for something like $35,000 ~ $36,000 when negotiating with a local dealer ?

    you can offer whatever price you want. However, don't be surprised if the dealer rejects that offer and counters with a different number. That's the whole point of negotiation.
    Right, but I want to give the dealer a figure which he/she is still willing to work with and try to approach. In other words, I don't want to give the dealer such a low number that they get offended and/or ask me to leave :)
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 174,856
    ahmadka said:

    Michaell said:

    ahmadka said:

    Apologies if this is a n00b question, but this is the first time I'm buying (financing) a new car so I want to ask, how much of a lower price than the 'Edmunds Suggested Price' can I ask for, when negotiating with a dealer ?

    I'm interested in getting a 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD, and in my area the rough price (before any financing stuff, taxes, etc.) Edmunds is suggesting is about $38,000 ~ $39,500. Since this is a little expensive for me, can I perhaps ask for something like $35,000 ~ $36,000 when negotiating with a local dealer ?

    you can offer whatever price you want. However, don't be surprised if the dealer rejects that offer and counters with a different number. That's the whole point of negotiation.
    Right, but I want to give the dealer a figure which he/she is still willing to work with and try to approach. In other words, I don't want to give the dealer such a low number that they get offended and/or ask me to leave :)
    Beyond what I've said, there isn't much advice I can give you. We don't track pricing for different cars, so I can't tell you how low is offensive to the dealer.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Sign In or Register to comment.