Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

"Fun House Mirror" Front Passenger Window

ArabellaFiggArabellaFigg Member Posts: 5
edited February 2020 in Nissan
Hi everyone,

I signed a 36 month lease for a 2020 Nissan Altima SV AWD on February 11. My husband and I have noticed that the front passenger window has what I'm referring to a "fun house mirror" effect--kind of distorted, warped, makes things outside the window look bend-y and blurry in unnatural ways that immediately requires us to look anywhere but out the window. Today's the first day in four days that it hasn't been raining and I've noticed it's definitely worse in sunlight. My husband called the dealership to ask them to take a look...maybe there's a film on the window that we're missing and can't remove...? and the service manager immediately asked if we had an Altima because her car has the same issue. Looking out the window makes her nauseous when wearing polarized sunglasses (which I haven't done yet). She hasn't tried to get it fixed yet.

We're taking it in tomorrow to be looked at. Really hoping they can just replace the window because we love the car. But *if* they can't--any advice? In this situation could we return a lease without penalty because of an unfixable defect? I'm not keen on the idea of driving a car for 3 years if it's going to make me want to throw up every sunny day.

Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's a localized thing? We are located on Long Island, NY.

Thanks for your input.
Danielle

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,313

Hi everyone,

I signed a 36 month lease for a 2020 Nissan Altima SV AWD on February 11. My husband and I have noticed that the front passenger window has what I'm referring to a "fun house mirror" effect--kind of distorted, warped, makes things outside the window look bend-y and blurry in unnatural ways that immediately requires us to look anywhere but out the window. Today's the first day in four days that it hasn't been raining and I've noticed it's definitely worse in sunlight. My husband called the dealership to ask them to take a look...maybe there's a film on the window that we're missing and can't remove...? and the service manager immediately asked if we had an Altima because her car has the same issue. Looking out the window makes her nauseous when wearing polarized sunglasses (which I haven't done yet). She hasn't tried to get it fixed yet.

We're taking it in tomorrow to be looked at. Really hoping they can just replace the window because we love the car. But *if* they can't--any advice? In this situation could we return a lease without penalty because of an unfixable defect? I'm not keen on the idea of driving a car for 3 years if it's going to make me want to throw up every sunny day.

Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's a localized thing? We are located on Long Island, NY.

Thanks for your input.
    Danielle

Your lease is with the bank, not Nissan. So, the only way to return it, is if Nissan agrees to pay off the bank. Just like a loan, you owe the money, even if you can't get satisfaction from the seller.

That doesn't mean you won't get satisfaction, but you can't withhold lease payments (or, just give the car back, without penalty)

One thing working against you is if "they are all that way". If it is truly an anomaly in your car, then they could certainly replace the glass, under warranty. If it is unfixable, you'll get a lot more push back.

I'll guess the first thing they'll do is let you drive other new Altimas, to see if they have the same issue.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you for the feedback. Since posting I've looked into the NY State Lemon Law. I hope it would apply in this situation.
  • Options

Thank you for the feedback. Since posting I've looked into the NY State Lemon Law. I hope it would apply in this situation.

Hopefully, you'll get it resolved way before you get to that point. Legal remedies are usually not the best ones.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Update: car was in the shop for 7 hours, all they did was "lube and clean" the window. I took it down the road and brought it right back. I rolled the window up and down for the mechanic and he immediately saw the issue (for the record I told them to do this when I dropped off) and they're ordering a new window. Since it's a new model, windows might not be readily available (?!) so it may take upwards of a month to come in.

Very annoying but glad it should be replaced and fixed soon!
  • Options

Update: car was in the shop for 7 hours, all they did was "lube and clean" the window. I took it down the road and brought it right back. I rolled the window up and down for the mechanic and he immediately saw the issue (for the record I told them to do this when I dropped off) and they're ordering a new window. Since it's a new model, windows might not be readily available (?!) so it may take upwards of a month to come in.

Very annoying but glad it should be replaced and fixed soon!

That’s good news!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator