Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Going to Nixa, MO in April, what's the best way to go thru your state? ( Sorry that I'm off topic guys)
  • tgantttgantt Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard what might be different / improved in the 2003 model AVs. It's probably a little early to be thinking about that but I plan on buying a 2003 model so I am curious.
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    I was wondering when it would come on - well, I just hit 5200 miles and it went on as I was driving for about 10 seconds and then went out. Is this how this light operates? If I don't reset it in accordance with the manual will it come on again as a reminder? I changed the oil at 3000 miles anyway so I am not using the light for anything - just curious. When has the light come on in some of the other trucks on this board? From what I understand it is calculated by the computer based on type of driving, engine hours, etc.
  • loyalfan1loyalfan1 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if a Av with a soft tonneau cover can be converted over to a 3 piece rigid type?
  • gandolphxxgandolphxx Member Posts: 19
    Yes - the soft cover was a delete option - you just need to order the three [each is numbered] panels - they were backorder items in the fall - not sure where it stands now - try gmpartsdirect.
  • naylor99naylor99 Member Posts: 23
    No, an existing Av with the soft cover cannot be easily converted to the riged panel setup. I specifically asked that question of my dealer. There is a lot of stuff that makes the panels work that would be very difficult to do after the fact. You cannot just add the panels -- the support rails are not there. All this is according to my dealer -- the sales guy really did seem to know his stuff, and they sell a lot of AVs.
  • skidmarksskidmarks Member Posts: 47
    The only way I can see the Av getting 20mpg is down a WEST VIRGINIA MINESHAFT
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    FUNNY!!!!!!!!!
    I am still laughing!

Check back tomorrow I still may be laughing!
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Wayne,

The Change engine oil light on my Silverado came on around 5000 miles also, I did the same thing as you I wanted to see when it would come on. The light is operating as it should, each time you start the truck it will come on for a few seconds as a reminder then it will go out.

-Mark
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Through Iowa.

OK, just joking. If you're coming out of central, eastern or upper WI - I39 to I55 to I70 and pick up I44 at St. Louis. If you start west of Madison or LaCrosse-north, let me know - different routes that may include IA.
    Loyal - As has been pointed out - the soft cover has a different attachment system. The cost of converting would be double to triple the cost of OEM. Let the unknowing dealer sit with the soft cover Av and look for one with the panels. One guy who ruined a cover was quoted $800 to replace it!!! (By a usurous dealer.)
    I've left mine go at changes and it has come on at 5-6,000 miles.

On MPG - we've got both 2WD and 4WD owners reporting here and the different gears - make sure you specify your setup.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    when i took trip to ny and back, but the norm seems to be right around 4500 mi.
  • loclassloclass Member Posts: 5
    I've owned 2 Av's now and can comment on 2 different setups regarding mileage. The first truck was a Z71 with 3.73s. In town mileage was around 14 and highway was a steady 18-19, with a high of 20 on one trip. I traded it on a Z71 with 4.10s. So far in town mileage has been 14-15 and highway mileage around 17. The big factor right now is the cold weather and all the extra idling because of it. For driveability, the 4.10s are the only way to go. It takes less throttle input to get the truck rolling.
    Looked at map..the I39 to I55 to I70 and pick up I44 at St. Louis. looks good going to Nixa,Mo for an Instinctive Shooting Clinic presented by G. Fred Asbell and Ken Beck(owner) of Black Widow Custom Bows. Thanks and catch ya later.
  • chad52chad52 Member Posts: 3
    Is there anything unusual when your interior rear view mirror shows "ICE" in the compass/temp. window? It started intermittantly flashing the other day and the temp was only down to 36 F. Is this just a simple warning to be careful or does it mean something else?

Chad
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    It does that as a warning to you that the roads may be icy. It flashes for seven seconds or seven times or something like that.
    -Eric
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    loclass or anyone,

Do you feel that 4.01 is significantly better in towing? I plan to tow a 5,500 lb boat through some steep mountain passes a couple of times a year. From what localss reported, the mpg penalty may be small. Do you think that the engine noise is worse with 4.01 at idle and high speed?

Thanks!
    Ross - I think my brother's longbow is a Black Widow. I've heard it shot from 100 yards away - it made more noise than the deer he took.

You'll have to stop at Bass Proshops in Springfield, too. Gander Mountain doesn't hold a candle to it.
    The engine noise will be the same at the same RPM and will make no difference at idle. At highway speeds the 4.10s will be turning about 10% higher Rs; only about 200 RPM. As quiet as these trucks are, nothing noticeable. In the mountains and towing, you'll probably appreciate the 4.10.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Where were u AV gus on the News and
    Views chat tuesday. The topic was
    what would u buy or lease this year ?
    I posted i would of LOVED a new AV.
    (Bought a new 2500 xcab 4x4 chevy)
    Cuz i snow plow and haul and tow and
    the AV offered no PLOW PREP PKG.
    (plowing warranty breakage issues)
    Man you would of thought i had 2 heads.
    The import boys were saying why a AV ?
    I say it can tow, haul, 4 real doors,
    carry any thing too.....
    Well they say buy a ricer this or that
    YEA RIGHT ! Man they were bustin my chops
    left and right......I said snowplow ,tow my 26 ft
    wellcraft, or 28 ft coachman, or haul
    my flatbed trailer with john deere tractor
    with that bmw volvo toyota whatever......
    I sure wish in May when I bought my pu.. the AV
    had offered a 2500 model. Well I only
    keep my trucks 3 yrs anyway. So i will wait
    You guys are SO lucky to have one now !....Geo
    BTW: I did have a 94 Yukon too
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    I don't know where the garage comment came from?? The AV is longer than the 'Rado (221") and will not fit in my garage. If I buy one it will mean instant additional storage in my garage as my LLR (nicknamed from the Odyssey forum) will have to go by the way side. Can't afford both. It really looks like with the $9k+ I can get off the Z71 and the lower interest rates combined with the fact that my LRR is still commanding above avg resale... that it would make more sense to get the AV now and buy another LRR later. Of course yesterday hit 70+ degrees and with the top down it was very difficult to consider parting with the LRR.

Funny thing is Motor Trend has picked my last 3 car choices over the last 3 yrs as best in their respective classes! (2000 Odyssey, 2000 S2000, 2002 Avalanche) Was not even surprised when MT picked the AV for Truck of the Year... they noticed as I did the 5.9L in the Ram seems to be way underpowered for it's size. The AV's 5.3's 285hp showed it up pretty well. All in all M/T made a great case for the GM line across the board.

On another note... I saw an article giving instructions on changing out the speedometer display in the AV for one from the caddie... it apparently is plug and play. 10 minutes tops.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    sonjaab-"Cuz i snow plow"

Shouldn't it be, because I plow snow?

dc-I wasn't sure on the length of the Av. I do know the extended cab trucks with the 8' bed will not fit though.

That S2000 is a sweet car. If I didn't have a little f1jules on the way I would buy one in a second. How do you like yours?
  • loclassloclass Member Posts: 5
    Luvsuv: I really think the way to go for pulling 5,500 lbs is the 4.10. It's the way to go even if not pulling, in my opinion. I pulled 6,000 with my 3.73 equipped Av and it pulled fine, but 4.10s would've made it easier. The mileage penalty is very small and driveability vs the 3.73 is greatly improved. Remember, this is a 5600lb truck and the 5.3 is a little lacking down low.

dcrisler: The only Silverado the Av would be longer than is a reg cab short box. Otherwise, it's shorter than any other combination.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    to the spec's in the new vehicle section, the Av. is 221.6" and Slverado X-cab is 227.7". Maybe you weren't referring to an X-cab? These new extended cabs are looooong!
    Hmm, so the Av would fit in the garage, not that I would buy one mind you. My Tundra fits in my garage with about 1 foot to spare. The Tundra is 10 inches shorter than the Silverado at 217.5 inches.
    Of Houses do you guys buy that can't house a pickup, heck my Super Duty Crew Cab fit in my garage with room to spare. A large garage is top priority when buying a house. At one time I have had a Suburban and an full-size Extended cab GMC
    in the garage with room without banging sides.

I have seen the ICE question, pop up on a lot of the boards... (seems people don't read their manual much anymore)

Tim.....your brother could tone down the noise, if he has it set up right, a black widow can be toned down the same as any other bow. Pro Bass is a priority, hopefully I can get out without dropping a bundle.
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    Yes the S2000(240hp out of 2 litres or 120ci @ 2hp per cubic inch) is fun, I took a friend of mine to look at Jeeps, the Jeep salesman asked if I had ever hit 9k rpm with it... this car is kind of like the old Lays chip commercial, you can't have just one. The 1st time I redlined the car became so addictive, given the road, every shift would be redlined... and every gear perfectly hits the sweet spot in the power curve every time. Yet you can shortshift it at 2k and stay with traffic. 3rd gear will go from 15mph to 90mph. I have a 7 yr old that gets asked often if this will be his 1st car... his answer is that "no, the red truck will be mine cause' it is the same age as me!".(It's called managing expectations)
    There in lies my problem... if I bought the AV, by the time he is a driver, the AV would be a cool SAFE choice for him. The S2000 would not. My original plan was to drive my B4000 until the S was paid for, then trade it in and get a new truck. The AV has caused me to want to replace the B4000 much sooner. It just seems to fit our current lifestyle (My son just started cub scouts and I was volunteered to be the TigerCub leader), so camping is becoming a new hobby.

What is not possible is a 3rd car payment.
    I thought about putting wheels from a 2000 Escalade on my Av. I have read that the rear disc brakes on the 2002 GM 1500 trucks won't clear. Is this true? Is there an fix? Aftermarket wheels do not show a seperate listing for the 2002 applications. So what's the scoop?
    In PA the Av is licensed as a Station Wagon. That means you save $22.50 every year you register your vehicle over the cost of a truck plate. WOW! now that's a real incentive to buy an Av over a crew cab.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Try looking at the 2001 and 2002 Escalade. Those should fit. The 2000 Escalade was the old body style same as the C/K platform.
    Typical 4 bedroom 3 bath southern California house I guess. I haven't seen any new homes around here with oversized garages until about 3-4 years ago (unless you have gobs of money and can have one custom built). My house was built in '94 on a fairly smallish lot-like most tract homes in SoCal. Jam as many homes into an area and charge a few hundred grand each for them seems to be the motto around here.
  • avalanche1avalanche1 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone been able to combine earnings from two GM credit cars to purchase one vehicle. My wife & I each have a card with a total of $6,100 accumulated but a call to GM told us we can only apply the earnings from one card. Add the 6,100 to the $2002 rebate and I am ready to sign the papers on a new Avalanche. Also, what is the "talk it up" rebate [$500] about? Thanks---
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    It would be the AWESOME 8.1 too !
    but no allie trans for now.
    Anybody out there have a 2500 Av
    with the 8.1 ? If so please post !
    Thanks......geo
  • gandolphxxgandolphxx Member Posts: 19
    There is nothing like it - the 8.1L engine is very strong. Ride is excellent.
    The 2000 Escalade wheel is a nice looking wheel,the 2002 is not! What I want to know what keeps the 2000 wheel from fitting. Are the 2002 calipers and the 2000 wheel offset not compatible or what?
    With the 2000 tahoe versus the 1999 tahoe the rotors and brakes are different...SO based on that I would think the escalade as well...The newer ones stopping better so I would imagine larger rotors and calipers...

I could be wrong but if you own both trial fit and tell us what you see.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you answered your own question as the 2000 Escalades/Denali had rear drums.
  • dgardgar Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2wd 2500, 4.10 ratio, 8.1. Good ride, not as stiff as the burb (one less leaf in the rear spring). Power is ok but not as strong as the burb was with the 7.4. Getting right at 11 MPG (10.9+-)2/3 highway 1/3 town. Have not towed with it yet but need to move the boat next month so that will tell the tale. I love the comfort and the versatility of this truck.
    Only complaint is with the front suspension. to get it level they had to adjust the left front torsion bar all the way in and back the right one almost all the way out. I wonder if one of the bars could be installed in the socket one notch off.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    Look in Avalanche Owners: Photo Gallery.

Dennis
    This is the information I received from a seller. The 2000 Chrome Escalade wheel is for drum brakes(yeah,I knew that). To put them on the 2002 Avalanche( or any other rear disc brake truck) The caliper has a ridge on it (I guess he meant casting ridge) which just needs ground down flush,then the wheel will fit. Can someone verify this info? Take-offs can be had relatively cheap. Also there is a company selling a 17" reproduction for $1100 that fit any year. Any of these wheels can be had with a "no emblem" center.
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    What is the going rate for insurance on the Av? Know it varys depending on area of the country; but rates relative to autos or other trucks in any part of the country would be useful. My rates went up from about $400/yr - '83 Toyota Supra - to about $650/yr - live in the D.C. area.

Thanks!
    My were the same as compared to the Tahoe I traded in. I expect it to go down after a year or more due to updating the data base on repair costs.
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    Great job on your web site!
    David, great job on the web site! Very useful information there, however, if you want to get people to post on the discussion forums then then the "load time" between pages will have to be much quicker. I have a relatively high speed internet connection and there is still a very long wait between pages when accessing your message board.

I was intrigued by your message on the free wheel alignment service that Chevy is providing. I took my Z66 in because of the "leveling issue" (the left side is lower than the right side) and told the dealer about the torsion bar adjustment (see comment below by dgar). They simply did a free alignment on the truck but did not adjust the torsion bars and the truck still tilts downward on the left side. Here's dgar's comment cut and pasted below:

"Only complaint is with the front suspension. to get it level they had to adjust the left front torsion bar all the way in and back the right one almost all the way out. I wonder if one of the bars could be installed in the socket one notch off."

I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem truly corrected and can shed any more light on this subject matter. Thanks.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "truck still tilts downward on the left side"

Did you have a full tank of gas? The gas tank sits on the left side and that will add weight to your truck and make it lean to that side possibly
    Hey Ryan - naw - it's not the weight of the gas in the tank. Mine tilts whether the tank is full or almost empty. I've been to the dealer's lot and looked at a whole row of Avs. About 7or 8 out of 10 have the tilt to the left side. Doesn't seem to matter whether they are Z66, Z71, or plain janes. It's got to be the torsion bar set-up or something else in the suspension. If everyone on this board would park there Av on a level surface and stand 20 or 25 feet behind their vehicle - I bet many of you have the same situation. I am sure someone will come up with the right answer!
  • madkawmadkaw Member Posts: 6
    Anybody notice how easy it is to unlock the tailgate without the key! Had to get into mine and the girl friend had the keys in her purse, I used a toothpick but just about anything thin would do. I've got to find a fix for this as I keep too much valuable stuff back there.
    Mark, if you would send your e-mail address to me at wayne@demaximis.com - I will forward a couple of digital photos that I took today on the "cloudiness in the paint issue." Would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks.
    I'll send you some pictures of my Tundra-hehehe.
This discussion has been closed.