Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toy Car

kurtdkurtd Member Posts: 12
I am looking for a stylist convertible sports cars
to rebuild in my garage. I can spend up to
$15,000 for the car. I want a classic that you can
still buy parts for.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi Kurt!

If your criteria are $15K, beauty, reliability, tons of parts, ease of restoration, fun and a good investment, there are few cars, if any, that fit the bill like this one: ( a REAL sports car!)

• kurtdkurtd Member Posts: 12
    Thanks! What year Spider is it?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Cool car! Never heard of it before, but judging by the name, I'd bet she's Italian. She has to be from the 50's
  • dranoeldranoel Member Posts: 79
    The photo looks like a mid-50's model. If it is a 1956 model, the specs were as follows: it had a 1290cc OHC 4 cylinder engine with a compression ratio of 8.0, and developed 65 HP @5500 RPM. It did 0-60 in 14.8 sec., did the 1/4 mi. in 20.0 sec., and had a top speed of 100 MPH. Transmission was a 4 speed manual. This rear drive car had 87 in. wheelbase and weighed 1940 lbs. I drove a similar car on several occasions in the mid 50's and remember it as a very attractive and good performing ( for it's day) sports car. Alfas were imported into the US until the early 90s.
    And you could rev them to 7500 rpm all day long and never get a speeding ticket (almost never). Great fun to drive.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Which years of the Alfa are the best to look at (the Spyder). I've been looking at Miatas, but wouldn't mind a nice Alfa if it was going to be reliable and not eat me alive keeping it running (the primary reasons I keep coming back to the Miata).

I assume somewhere in the early to mid 80's to get a good combo of price/usability? Do the late 80s/early 90s cars start getting pricy? I'm really curious what I need to spend to get a good car (I don't want a beater). I've pretty much figured that out with the M car.

thanks for the help

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'd say any Alfa Spyder from 1982-88 would be nicely priced, and probably $1,000 to $1500 below a Miata. These cars have all Bosch ignition and fule injection, just like those expensive cars from Germany.

They can be and are very reliable cars, (is anything more reliable than a Miata? A television maybe?) but they are not as refined as a Miata, so you will hear the engine and feel the bumps more, and they will rattle a little, too. But they are also probably more fun than a Miata for that reason, and a hell of a lot bigger interior and trunk space than the Miata as well. You can stay warm and dry, too.

With careful shopping, you can buy a nice Spyder for around $5,000, which is the price of a pretty ratty Miata.
This discussion has been closed.