Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    The Camry definitely LOOKS sportier than the Accord, especially the SE. The Accord is as conservative as they could make it

Maybe...just MAYBE the 'se' camry could be 'sportier looking' than the new accord, but i personally don't agree with a thinking that just because you have a ground effects kit, you are 'sportier'. if that were the case, i'd be just as bad as those kids who slap those kits on their civics, thinking it looks more 'aggressive'. Nope. The corolla tries this too, and fails horribly.

And the base camry or any camry without the kit is as bland and un-sporty as can be.

i would hardly call the new accord 'conservative'. I wouldn't apply that term to any of the bmw or acura products it resembles either. Actually, NO toyota fan should ever utter the word 'conservative' towards another automakers vehicles.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The Camry looks much more aggressive than the '06, no? :)

DrFill
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    A new issue of C&D continues to insist we'll get a restyled Fusion here, not a Mondeo. :sick: I thought they learned their mistake of not bringing the euro-Focus(2) here...
    That we will get a warmed-over current platform Mazda 6, not the cool one the Europeans get.

Ford's share continues to plummet..... :surprise:

DrFill
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I hope Mazda doesn't make the wrong decisions on the 09 6 product wise because if they do their sales we'll go back to selling 240K units on a yearly basis like they did back in 1998 and in 1996 when they sold 238K units. Mazda is on track to move up to selling at least 280K this year or maybe at 290K at the most for this years total. Mazda has to keep this good sales momentum that they have in the US going.

Mazda can ill afford to make mistakes because of Ford being cheap. I mean look at the 08 Tribute its not a very good product in terms of styling and in interior packaging. Plus, Mitsubishi is going for Mazda's customers right now and remember when Mitsu had their big crisis in the US in 2004 Mazda pretty grabbed all of Mitsu's car buying clientel but Mitsu is back with the the 08 Lancer and 07 Outlander.

I hope the 09 6 is not another Mazda sales flop like the refresh of the 1998 626 that took place in 2000. Mazda over-refreshed the 2000 626 and sales went down of that model each year after that refresh.

I hope the exterior styling of the 09 6 doesnlt stray from the Euro model too much. If it does we will be saying again is it time for Mazda too leave the US market? I hope the suspension set-up in the 09 6(NA version) stray too far from the Euro model either. I understand that the NA 096 has to be a bigger model(size wise) than the Euro model of the 09 because Americans like biggers cars than the rest of the world well except for the Chinese because they love their Buicks in China!.
    It will outsell the Mazda3. It could be the next 1999 Passat! :shades:

It will keep Mazda3 owners who want to move up (I'm sure they're running to Altima when they're done with a 3 now), and it will attract new business.

Timing is bad, fighting the Accord and new Malibu for pub.

But being last to the party has it's advantages. ;)

DrFill
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The 2009 Mazda6 will for the most part be the same as the one that debuted in Europe. There really is no reason to have two completely different Mazda6's. Right now, it is the same throughout the world.
    "It will outsell the Mazda3."

If Mazda plays the cards right the 09 Mazda 6 should have no problem outselling the Mazda 3.

I don;t think Mazda is going to bring the Euro 6 here because my guess would be its too small for the NA market just like the current 6 is. I don;t know if Mazda can get away with putting the 09 NA 6 on the same platform was the 03 6 I mean Toyota got away with using the same platform for the 97-01 Camry as the 92-96 Camry but Toyota can get away with alot more things that Mazda can;t because Mazda is associated with Ford and Toyota had a great reputation for reliability back when the 97 Camry came onto the market which Mazda doesn;t have currently. The current 6 is a good platform though since I have a 07 Mazda 6 now so I can attest to the experience that I have with the current 6 platform.

"It could be the next 1999 Passat!"

No, that was 1998 Passat. I'm wondering how many units the 1998-2001.5 Passat sold yearly in the US during that time period.

"Timing is bad, fighting the Accord and new Malibu for pub."

Fighting the Accord will be hard but I don;t think Mazda plans for the Mazda 6 to outsell the Accord I think if Mazda can sell 90K-120K 6's yearly that should be a satisfying number for Mazda. I mean look at 03-06 Mazda 6 sales:

03: 65K
    04: 72K
    05: 71K
    06: 66K

The Malibu is suspect I mean the 04-07 model sold terribly as evidenced as the current gen Malibu being on the market for only for 4 years. IF GM can sell 250K-275k Malibu;s a year than that would be good for GM. GM isn't planning on the Malibu outselling Camry and Accord for the time being I don;t think. Of course the Malibu will outsell the Mazda 6 because Chevy has more dealers than Mazda does and Chevy is like Toyota in that they are a mass market brand.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US and, instead, they will warm over the existing Mazda6 like they are warming over the "new" Ford Focus?

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US and, instead, they will warm over the existing Mazda6 like they are warming over the "new" Ford Focus?

The current-gen 6 is based on Ford's cd-3 platform, both here and abroad. From UK reports, it seems that the second-gen European/Asian 6 is ALSO based on the same platform, and not from the new Mondeo, as rumored before. I'm sure the US will get the same platform, with detail changes to the front and rear ends to meet US regs.

A couple test-drives from across the pond:
    whatcar.com
    uk.msn.com
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    I'm a happy owner of my second Mazda 6 (the first one was stolen and totaled), a 2007 6i 5-door Touring. It would be typical american thinking to screw-up a good thing and not bring the euro/japanese version here. From what I've seen the new model is very good. I hope they doing make it boring like the Fusion, or drop the 5-door. (but I bet they will). Oh by the way compared to a Mazda 6, the new Accord is ugly!!!. It looks like a Chrysler Sebring.
    :shades:
    "Oh by the way compared to a Mazda 6, the new Accord is ugly!!!. It looks like a Chrysler Sebring."

Well the new Accord than the last one(the 03 model.) Nah to the 4 door model the headlights like look like they came of the 98 Accord and the rear looks like Acura RL its still too conservative though when you have Altima and Mazda 6 out there.
    "Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US and, instead, they will warm over the existing Mazda6 like they are warming over the "new" Ford Focus?"

I'm sure Mazda will make signicant changes to the 09 6 to make it feel like a brand new model even if it is based on the same platform as the current model. Mazda has done everything right in term of making good decesions in terms of product of late except for the 08 Tribute. I don;t think Mazda will blow this 09 6 release. If they do they will pay the price. Mazda is too smart now though to blow this release of the new gen 6. The new 6 is the must important release of a car that Mazda has had since the orginal 6 came out(03-08.)
    Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US

No, that has not been established. Mazda has never done that to date, why does everyone think that will happen now? Did you see that MazdaUSA posted the pic of the next Mazda6 on their website? Where are you people getting this WRONG information that we are getting a "watered down" version of the upcoming Mazda6? Has Mazda said this? NO! I work for Mazda, and the consensus from my district reps, as well as Mazda corporate that we will get virtually the SAME Mazda6 you saw in Frankfurt.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    I hope what you say is true. I've really liked the Mazdas I've owned and I hope Ford doesn't screw-up a good car. US companies have a habit of doing just that. :shades:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I am pretty sure Mazda did a fine job of screwing itself up and Ford helped them out by buying a stake in the company. Presumably Ford bought a stake because the stock was cheap the time and also thought Ford could benefit from sharing some things that Mazda had.
    That really has absolutely nothing to do with the 2009 Mazda6. Yes, Mazda was in dire straights back in the 80's and early 90's. However, most everyone that ran Mazda back then is gone, as well as every engineer from that era as well. Ford helped Mazda by taking stake in their company. Currently, Mazda has done nothing but bring great products over here in recent years. Everything from 2003 and up have been great. I expect nothing less then the upcoming Mazda6.
    Sure, but I'm just responding to comments that basically seem to amount to: "if I like the car it's all thanks to Mazda, if I don't then it's all Ford's fault".
    I got ya. Blaming Ford for anything that Mazda does wrong is a load of BS. Mazda is it's own company, with it's own CEO, and headquarters in Japan. When will people realize that stake in a company, even controlling stake, does not always mean they are the whipping boy of big brother?
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    i saw on the web today they are beginning mule testing of the new 3. the photo looks the same as current 3, but they are indicating of course a boost in horsepower due to changing to the new 2.5l engine along with a bigger car with styling cues of the new generation 6.
    Mazda designs the cars, and Ford foots the bill.

Ford has to take some responsibility.

Considering the '08 Focus vs the '08 Mazda3, it's looks like Ford wouldn't know what to sell a customer, since they actually are a party to the best vehicle in class.

How Ford doesn't sell a version of the Mazda3/Volvo S40 platform is a travesty! :cry:

Ford deserves some grief alright.

DrFill
    Mazda designs the cars, and Ford foots the bill.

Not true. Mazda does make decisions for them selves, and they are not financed by FoMoCo. Believe it or not, Mazda has profits and expenses of their own, like r&d! Please, do not make ignorant posts like this, you are helping no one!
    The only ignorant one here is you. ;)

The are owned by Ford, and Ford has to sign off on their major production projects. Mazda isn't spending a Billion on a new car platform without Ford approving it.

Mazda doesn't work in vacuum.

DrFill
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    aviboy97 is hardly being ignorant.

While Ford does have 33.9% of controlling interest (which has recently and finally transferred from Ford Int'l Holding to FMC), Mazda does have its own maneuver and freedom. The two companies aren't consolidated, hence the reason for separate reporting between the two.
    How Ford doesn't sell a version of the Mazda3/Volvo S40 platform is a travesty!

How many Foci were sold in the US in the last 12 months? I'm guessing a lot more than the sum of Mazda3 and S40 sales. The majority of US consumers will not pay a premium price for smaller cars, this is why the cheaper old design of the Focus is still sold here. It is not Ford's fault that the typical US car buyer sees vehicle value in terms of dollars per pound or dollars per cubic foot.
    Well, they can get rid of redundant, rebadged Fords at Mercury and send the Euro Focus, Mondeo, etc. to the US badged as Mercurys or bring back the Mercur name plate. It would get these cars over here and give the dying Merucry dealers something unique to sell.
    yes, they are two different companies.

CEO for FoMoCo is Alan Mulally. CEO for Mazda Motor Corp. is Hisakazu Imaki. Why would there be a CEO for Mazda if Ford called all the shots?? Oh, that's right. They don't.
    That's funny, I thought this discussion was about the upcoming '09 6, and not who owns who, who's controling who, or why the 3 and Focus are different...

On-topic: This may be news to you, but it seems that the '09 6 both here and abroad WILL share the same platform.

This leads me to believe that the next 6 will be as similar here and abroad, as the current-gen is now. The differences will be only the front and rear ends (in terms or bumpers, lights, etc.), as well as engine and other options.

If, by chance, Mazda does take the time to read this, I have a few requests:

1. HIDs should be a stand-alone option, as well as a moonroof. I shouldn't have to suffer buying a useless Nav system and an automatic transmission to get these options.

2. A trip computer and keyless start should be standard across the board. My wife's Altima has the keyless start, which at first I thought it was a cheap gimmick, but after using it in a variety of situations, it's really quite helpful and convenient.

3. Allow the option of a dedicated summer tire in place of the miserable Michelin all-seasons that are offered currently.

4. Heated seats with a cloth interior? Even Saturn offers this option...

5. Since they're replacing the round Ford-style vents with the 626-style square untis in the dash, bring back the oscillating option!

6. Other than that, keep the usual Mazda traits (useful power, excellent handling, steering feel, and braking), and you have a repeat customer. :shades:
    This may be news to you, but it seems that the '09 6 both here and abroad WILL share the same platform.

This is what I have been trying to beat into the thick headed people here that seem to think the U.S is going to get a totally different 6 then the rest of the world. It is just too expensive to do that. Mazda has never done that before, so, why start now??
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    aviboy is right. have any of you even seen the domestic spy shots? they are essentially the EU version with slightly larger bumpers and different head/tail lights. get over it, it'll be the same vehicle, only manufactured at Flat Rock and available with the beast of a V6.
    It is not too expensive to have two platforms if they warm over the existing 2007 platform with new sheetmetal and interior.
    That is what has been done with the Ford Focus for the last several years and they are going to again stretch it a few more years with the restyled 2008 Focus.
    Ford is doing this to save money, and they never did that before either, so it is possible Mazda will do the same.
    Maybe the US will get the same model as the new European Mazda6, but that's not what articles about the new Mazda6 have said.
    Re-read my post #115. Then read it again. If you still don't get it, read it a third time. Click on the articles I linked as well.

And as Aviboy has stated himself, he WORKS for Mazda, he knows what he's talking about. I know of other sources inside Mazda that have stated the same thing.

And you're basing your conclusions on "rumors" from car journalists? :confuse:
  • dave00691dave00691 Member Posts: 4
    Aviboy97 where on mazdas website did you see info on the new mazda 6 and what is mazda plan for 2008 for the 6
    Maybe the US will get the same model as the new European Mazda6, but that's not what articles about the new Mazda6 have said

Sometimes we all take what authors in magazines say as the real story. Infact, many of these authors are trying to sell what they are writing. Not all the time are they fact based. Mazda, nor any mfg, will talk to a magazine and tell them of their ultimate plan. Mfg's want to tell the world, themselves.

I don't know if any of you remember when the Mazda MX-Crossport was to be built, now the CX-7? Everyone thought the CX-7 was going to have the 3.0L 215hp V6. I was telling everyone that it was getting the MZR 2.3L DISI Turbo, and no one believed me. Does this mean I am always right? No. But, in this case, look at the facts. The camo covered Mazda6 that has been seen under going testing in Detroit is virtually the same as the car from Frankfurt. The rear tail pipes looked a bit different,and it seems the front bumper may be slightly different as well. Now, also look at www.mazdausa.com. Under the "news" section, Mazda placed a pic of the front end in a press release. It's the same as the car we saw in Frankfurt. I, personally, attended a Mazda function in Syracuse, NY, where Mazda's top brass talked about the upcoming Mazda6 for a part of the session. The pic's were IDENTICAL to the Frankfurt car as well. From what I have seen, and heard, I have no reason to suspect the NA version of the Mazda6 will really vary from what Mazda showed us in Frankfurt. Now, as far as features and engines go, I have no clue. I have not been privledged to that info. As soon as I am, I will share it with all of you.
    Dave,
    The 2008 6's are already on dealer lots. The design is a carry-over but Mazda cancelled the wagon and hatchback.
    The design is a carry-over but Mazda cancelled the wagon and hatchback.

They canceled only the wagon. The hatch's are still an option.
    I think it is only the wagon that is discontinued and the hatchback (5 door) continues to be available in the 2008 model.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    MazdaSpeed6 ended it's 2 year run and Wagon6 not offered for 2008.

2009 Mazda6 is still a mystery as to exactly what we will have in the US. Most likely the same Mazda6 as Europe and Japan with minor modifications to bumpers, lights, trim and glass and a V6 option.
    I'm very curious to see whether we get the 3.7 or 3.5 V6. My guess is we are going to get the 3.5, simply because the new 6 will be built here. I highly doubt the 3.7 will be shipped here. However, I can't imagine Mazda making changes to produce the 3.7 in Japan for the CX-9 only.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    "i saw on the web today they are beginning mule testing of the new 3. the photo looks the same as current 3, but they are indicating of course a boost in horsepower due to changing to the new 2.5l engine along with a bigger car with styling cues of the new generation 6."

Where did you see that?
    Isn't the Lincoln MKX getting a version of the 3.7L as well? The sales manager at my dealership told me that both Lincoln and Mazda were getting upgraded to 3.7L but each would be tuned for their respective vehicles. If that is true, than I would assume it would easier to get it into the new 6.
    Isn't the Lincoln MKX getting a version of the 3.7L as well?

I have not heard that, and I am affiliated with a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer.

I was also thinking, since the tranny's already come from Japan, maybe they would ship the both of them together?? I think Mazda needs to use the 3.7 because the power would put it over Camry and Accord and Altima.

You know what we have not talked about here, is the possibility of the 2009 Mazda6 being offered in AWD. I have heard nothing of the sort yet, but, I am curious.
  • dillburrydillburry Member Posts: 1
    how do i make a forum
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    I'm not sure what you're asking - are you wondering how to start a new topic/thread? If so, please tell me what you'd like to talk about, and I can point you in the right direction.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Could possibly be similar to the JDM version of the Atenza. After looking at the numerous spy shots taken of the Mazda6 in Michigan, I noticed the front grille was the "sport" type grille, instead of the black plastic mesh type. Also, the wheels were the same. If it holds true, we are getting one damn good looking Mazda6.
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    Yea, I hope they keep the 6 for NA roughly the same as the one they debuted in Frankfurt. Frankly, I'm lost as to what kind Americanizing the vehicle needs. After all, it is significantly larger than the outgoing model, it will have more power in both i4 and v6 trims, and they need to keep the handling sharp in order to retain their brand identity.

Avi, do yo know the eta for 2009 Mazda6? Rumors earlier were that it would be coming early 2008 (springtime). Any indications of that from your end?
    I have heard nothing yet. I am starting to receive my 2008 inventory, and I can still order 2008's, which really remains unchanged from 2007. I have been told that MY2008 will be a short production run. As soon as I am able to order the 2009's, I will post an ETA.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    I hope we get a 2009 hatchback with the 2.5L and 6-speed manual. :shades:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's election day! So once you've done your civic duty, why not stop in at our weekly Mazda chat to meet and greet CarSpace friends?

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    Current have a 3s with most of the bells and whistles (ok, no Nav) and I love it. This new 6 will be my next car if it looks as good in real life as it does in pictures. :shades: