Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Other then that, basically the same thing.

I'm surprised since Euro Mazda6 and Japanese Atenza offer four cylinders only.
    I would have expected different engines in the US to include a six cylinder.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I was referring to design, not engine choices. When I asked about what V6 Mazda will use, I did not get an answer. My guess is it will be the 3.5, not the 3.7. Bummer.
  • Options
    I can't really describe it. The best I can say is that is has more of a "flow" to it.

One more thing about the Mazda6, from what I was told, there is a bit of Lexus / Toyota in the rear design. More Lexus I hope. Also, the dual exhaust will be part of the bumper, not pipes under the bumper, like in the Euro version. Look for the Mazda6 to be near the size of the 2002-2006 Altima. Apparently, it is built on the same chassis as well, the GG/GY platform, not the Ford Mondeo platform, but, I did not get a confirmation on that either.

Once again, the front end and side profile are almost exactly what Japan is making for Japan and Europe. The rear end and overall size is where they will differ.

Also, I did not get a confirmation about AWD, either. Still a rumor.
  • Options
    d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    That's the only image I saw of 2010 Mazda3. Sorry for off-topic http://dikarockz.blogspot.com/2007/12/hot-news-2010-mazda-3.html
  • Options
    mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Hmm, not sure if that is what the mazda 3 will look like. this article in left lane news discusses that the new mazda 3 will take on cues of the new nagare concept which other future mazda models will also get styling cues from according to Mazda's design chief.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2009-mazda3-to-indicate-future-styling-of-mazda-mode- ls.html
  • Options
    Yes, the next Mazda3 will have design cues from that concept series. Trust me, the real thing looks more realistic and much nicer then the concepts do.
  • Options
    zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    I'm eagerly awaiting what the NA mazda6 and next get mazda3 will look like, so any news is good news. Keep the updates comin and thanks!
  • Options
    autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    This month's Motor Trend has a bit of info on the US-spec Mazda6, and I'm really disappointed. Again, it confirms a larger vehicle than Japan/Europe, stating it will be built on Ford Mondeo platform, which is an updated version of the Fusion/Milan/MKZ CD3 platform. However (and here's the part I really don't like), there will be NO hatch and NO wagon -- Sedan only. They're saying it will get the Ford 3.5 V-6 and likely AWD option. They have a spy shot of it, but it's got so much camoflouge that it doesn't look like anything special really. I love the foreign market Mazda6 in all three forms and am just so dissapointed that all we get is a bloated sedan that'll probably try to compete directly with Camry/Accord/Altima/Sonata......and not really stand out. I sure hope Mazda proves me wrong. However, on a lighter, and somewhat off-topic note, this month's issue of Road & Track has a pic of the forth coming Audi A5 Sportback.....Wow! It is really nice looking -- kind of a cross between a hatch & wagon.
  • Options
    When I've said I'm concerned about Mazda designing a different Mazda6 for the USA I'm referring to the platform and mechanicals and exterior.
    Mazda could perform the "lipstick on a pig" treatment for the 2009 and change the exterior and interior with minor changes to platform and engines.
  • Options
    Did it look like this?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-6-future.html

If you notice, the interior is the same (thank God). The front and side are the same too. The rear is different, but I do like the exhaust coming out of the bumper. Very nice. Really, guys, this car even under camo, still looks so much better then anything out there right now. Also notice, it's not going to have a total plastic mesh grill. It will probably be some sort of "sport" type, body colored grill.

What is a concern of mine is the V6 engine choice? Is it lighter? More fuel efficient I-4? Does it have electro-hydrolic steering like the rest of the Mazda lineup? Other then that, the car should not disappoint.
  • Options
    exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Really, NO hatchback? That would be a bummer. I thought the hatchback had been a good seller.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I don't think hatchbacks have been good sellers in the US for about 20 years.
  • Options
    No 5 door, No 6.
    I would not be a 6 owner if there was not a hatch.

Mazda3 hatch has sold very well and Mazda6 hatch has sold well enough to justify itself in the US.
  • Options
    unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Motor Trend's article is just pure speculation. The Mondeo platform is not an updated version of the Mazda6 GG/GY (CD3) platform, and the 2009 Mazda is on an updated version of the current Mazda6 platform. We will have to wait and see if the hatch will be dropped. I speculate that the wagon or hatch - if dropped - will be replaced by a two door version of the Mazda6 (mx-6?) or some other vehicle. I doubt the sedan alone will be able to meet the volume that Mazda is looking for.
  • Options
    hokiedoghokiedog Member Posts: 24
    In NA, the hatch was released until a year after the sedan, correct? It wouldn't surprise me if Mazda does that again.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    really?

I guess the popular Matrix and Vibes don't count as hatches.... oh that's right – they are "crossovers"

While I'm at it, I'm going to expect Ford/Mazda to delete folding mirrors, parking sensors and headlight washers for the American market. It's the non-folding mirrors that really turns me off.
    Being from NY with narrow streets and driveways, I refuse to purchase a car with fixed mirrors anymore.
  • Options
    I guess the popular Matrix and Vibes don't count as hatches.... oh that's right – they are "crossovers"

Exactly! This is why there is the Edge from Ford (rather than a Fusion wagon or hatchback) and from Mazda we now have the CX7 and CX9.
  • Options
    psychoartpsychoart Member Posts: 17
    CX7 is a crossover? Well, thank you for the news. Despite all the marketing hype, it's an SUV to me. Both CX-7 and CX-9 fail in my book. The CX-7 should be something closer to an Outlander with 5+2 seat configuration. And the CX-9 should be more like the MPV in Japan with 4wd and a lower center of gravity (or sort of a sporty model of the current Toyota Sienna AWD).

Nevertheless, if the new Mazda3 hatchback gets the options of the Mazda6 in Japan, then there's no point to really have a Mazda6 hatchback, unless it's a sedan with a wiper in the back (for people who like sedan form), which it is.

I think a real hatchback should really look like a hatchback. So to me, calling a Mazda6 a hatchback doesn't quite make a lot of sense without the height for more room in the cargo area. The Mazda6 hatchback is more like a "crossover." The longer wagon Mazda6 would make more sense for the extra room compared to a Mazda3 hatchback.

Mazda really has to be careful with the Mazda3 and Mazda6 this time because I believe that Mazda5, CX-7 and CX-9 have failed miserably and are not competitive in term of pricing as well. For a fully loaded Mazda5 with 4+2 seat, you are close to get a Sienna 7 full seats. For a loaded CX-7 4wd, you can get a 3.5L Rav4, or a fully loaded Outlander with 5+2 seat, HID, 30GB, and etc... And CX-9? It starts close to $30k. In that zone, it gets really hot.

If this thing starts to be like VW, and Mazda is not listening, this would be the result :lemon:
  • Options
    Mazda zooms to success
    Quirky Japanese carmaker becomes fastest growing U.S. brand

quote psycho- Mazda really has to be careful with the Mazda3 and Mazda6 this time because I believe that Mazda5, CX-7 and CX-9 have failed miserably and are not competitive in term of pricing as well.-end

Let's all hope Mazda continues to "fail" in such a spectacular fashion.

I'd like to see and drive the new Mazda6 before I judge it.
  • Options
    It looks like they are dropping the 5-door, so I'm already starting to look elsewhere. Hmmm, maybe a 2008 Impreza WRX 5-door would be nice.
    The 5-door Mazda6 sold pretty good around here, at least I see a lot of them on the road. My local dealers are all sold out of the 2008 model 5-doors.
  • Options
    An SUV to you, a wagon on stilts to me...nevertheless "crossover" is what they call these sort of vehicles today.

A couple quotes from that article:

Mazda's sales were also helped by the introduction of two new crossovers -- the CX-7 and CX-9...

The CX-9...has been a major success for Mazda
  • Options
    mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    No pics on Mazdausa.com, but they have a link now that one can sign up for updates on the new 6.
  • Options
    I think a real hatchback should really look like a hatchback. So to me, calling a Mazda6 a hatchback doesn't quite make a lot of sense without the height for more room in the cargo area. The Mazda6 hatchback is more like a "crossover." The longer wagon Mazda6 would make more sense for the extra room compared to a Mazda3 hatchback.

Let me clear things up for you. Mazda does not use the word "hatchback" in reference to the Mazda6. They call it a "5-door". The Mazda6 5-door offers more versatility then the Mazda6 sports sedan, while maintaining the sporty sedan appearance. The Mazda6 5-door offers 22.1 cu ft of trunk space, while the sedan offers 15.2. Both of these measurements are with the rear seats upright. The 5-door offers a whopping 58.7 cu ft of room with the rear seats folded, and offers a removable rear deck. The Mazda3 5-door offers more cargo room then the Mazda3 5-door, with both the seats up and down. If you compare the Mazda6 wagon to the Mazda3 5-door, there is a world of difference. If you do not want or need the extra room of the wagon, you can opt for the Mazda6 5-door as a more practical choice. Also, the Mazda6 in general offers more comfort, more passenger room then the Mazda3. Personally, I bought a Mazda6 5-door over a Mazda3 5-door because of the added versatility, sedan look, and more comfortable interior.
  • Options
    Well, you can opt for the 5-door until they're all sold. Not sure why they're dropping it since sales seem to be good, but it wouldn't be the first time an auto maker did something like that.
  • Options
    metromazdamanmetromazdaman Member Posts: 5
    I'd like to take this time to clear up any misconceptions about mazda and the NA 2009 mazda 6. All of the pictures circulating the internet, with the exception of spy photos, are of the european model. The vehicle in camo is the one we should be seeing here in late summer or early fall of '09. As far as powertrains are concerned, Mazda will introduce a revised version of the MZR 2.3L 4-cyl engine now bumped up to 2.5L. Mazda claims better fuel economy than the 2.3, and an obvious increase in power (170-180hp depending on CA emission states). Also new for '09 is Ford's 3.5L V6 engine borrowed from the Ford Edge and the '07 Mazda CX9. This engine should produce at least 250hp and in the Mazda 6, I think a fair estimate of 25-27mpg is not unrealistic (the Edge gets 25mpg highway w/ FWD). As far as model lineup, Mazda will certainly keep the 5-door, as it accounted for a large chuck of total vehicle sales. The sport wagon will be exclusive to Europe and possibly Asia, and the slow-selling Mazdaspeed version will dissapear entirely. As far as the "bloated" appearance, it was inevitable. Camry, Accord, and Altima have all put on quite a few pounds in the last 5 years or so, based on the market trend, Mazda had no choice but to make the 6 bigger to compete. I can assure you that based on Mazda's "zoom-zoom" philosophy, the 6 will continue to be a sporty alternative to the Camry, and should also catch the eye of customers shopping Accord.
  • Options
    leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    I sure hope your info is right about the 5-doors. 5-doors and AWD would be great!

Borrowed from the Escape hybrid forum is this building/ordering schedule for various cars and trucks for the USA and Canada

http://www.donlen.com/build_out_start_ups.html

I am worried since the 2009 6 5-doors is listed as discontinued for 2009...
  • Options
    vincepvincep Member Posts: 12
    mr metromazda man:

Did you mean it will show up in summer or early fall of '08?

Also, will AWD be available, like in the other platform-mate, Ford Fusion?
  • Options
    I seem to remember the 2005 and 2006 5-doors selling much better then the 2007's and 2008's. Mine is a 2005. If they do infact offer a 5-door again in 2009, and continue to do so after 2009, I will look into it as a replacement for my 2005. Right now, I only have 40,000 miles on mine, and drives like new. I see no need to upgrade since I am happy with it. I have the Bose system, leather / heated seats, moon roof. I love the car.
  • Options
    unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Lets hope the new 6 borrows the Aisin 6 speed transmission from the CX-7 and CX-9 and not the unit found in the Ford Edge/GM Acadia.
  • Options
    mazdaman100mazdaman100 Member Posts: 2
    the mazda6 5 doors is not considered as a hatchback because it is called a liftback !!
  • Options
    mazdaman100mazdaman100 Member Posts: 2
    the 5 door and the wagon will not exist in 2009 but the sedan will be a bigger car than it is actually shown in japan as the Atenza 2009 will be built in us compared to Atenza in japan. The Mazda6 will be bigger than it was both in front and rear. Stronger engines in both 4 cyl and v-6`s . Can`t wait to try it out.
  • Options
    No,Mazda calls it the "Mazda6 5-door". Not liftback, not hatchback.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehi- - cleCode=M6H
  • Options
    Being in the auto industry for almost 8 years, 4 of which have been with Mazda, it's been my experience that the manufacturers usually try to introduce "new" models a bit earlier than the "refreshed" or untouched models. For example, the 2004 RX8 hit our showroom in MA in July of '03 as a 2004 model. The rest of the Mazda lineup hit our floors in early fall (usually Oct). The fact remains that very little information is out there for the NA version of the 6, which leads me to believe that it could be fall before we see it, though I'm sure Mazda is hoping to release them sooner. As a sales consultant, part of my training involves the 2009 Mazda 6 and unfortunately, even we don't have information yet. The other thing to consider is the Northeastern market is usually one of the last to receive new products. Take, for example the hybrid Mazda Tribute. Even though in MA we adhere to the stringent CA emissions, there is no hybrid Tribute comming to us in the near future, however that vehicle is available in CA. Even stranger is the fact that we have hybrid Ford Escapes!
  • Options
    Take, for example the hybrid Mazda Tribute.

We are not going to get it at all. Only limited time on the west coast. I'm located in CT. Are you attending the dealer meeting in April when they show the US Mazda6?
  • Options
    metromazdaman, what is your souce of information? ALL of the other information trickling out says thay there will not be a 5-door. You yourself admitted that you haven't received the information yet, so I think you're just giving your opinion that they should offer the 5-door. Like I said, ALL sources say that it's gone after 2008. As you can clearly see here, the Mazda6 5-door is discontinued:
    Build Out (Final Order Due) / Start Up Dates
  • Options
    I suppose I am giving opinion regarding the 5-door. It's all speculation at this point, as Mazda is holding their cards close to the vest. I do plan on attending classes and dealer meetings on the '09 6, and I'm checking Mazdastate for updated product information on a regular basis. I would be somewhat surprised to see the 5-door dissapear, though because the 6 is going through a growth spurt and there are no other 5-door/liftback/hatchback models in that class (as far as I know the new Malibu no longer offers a hatch), it wouldn't be a shock. I suppose I based my opinion on the strong sales in previous years of the 5-door. It would be a shame to see it go (I was somewhat crushed when the sport wagon was nixed), as it offered almost the same lines as the sedan, with great cargo flexibility. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    I would say it is simply wishful thinking on your part, not any sort of a reasonable opinion.

It does not seem to be speculation at all. When the Mazda ordering instructions say it is discontinued for 2009, it seems pretty clear that it will be discontinued.

Now, maybe it will be back the following year, as they also did not initially offer the 5 door in the current model.
  • Options
    There are no ordering instructions for the 2009 Mazda6 yet. Allocations are open until March for the 2008 Mazda6, sedan only. The 5-door allocations closed last month, and we all no there is no wagon for 2008.
  • Options
    I had my heart set on the 2009 5-door Mazda6 and I'm not going to wait for anyother year, so I guess I have to shop elsewhere. Currently looking at the Imperza WRX are maybe the VW GTI 5-door (with extended warranty of course). Maybe even the Mazd3 5-door
  • Options
    If you were going to look at the GTI and WRX, I would say you owe it to yourself to look at the Mazdaspeed3, unless you are looking for an automatic tranny.
  • Options
    Thanks, I was thinking that too.
  • Options
    Just to let everyone know, if you go to Mazda's website, you can sign up for info on the next-gen 6
  • Options
    harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Now youre talking !!!! :shades:
  • Options
    leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    I don't think edmunds is in the habit of making this page 6 months before the car is available...the new 6 pic is there too (although it could be that of the euro one)

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda6/2009/review.html

Does it mean they already have one, will have one real soon or is this just wishful thinking?!?
  • Options
    Those are pictures of the Euro Mazda6. Apparently, our Mazda6 will be very similar.

The 2009 Mazda6 for the US wil displayed to non MNAO (Mazda North American Operations) employees in April at the national dealer meetings in Denver, CO.

I am not suprised that Edmunds already has it's hands on one. Mazda is one of those companies that likes to have writers and reviewers test their cars just before the unveiling. Once the car is unveiled, all of the various reviews will hit the web and magazines.
  • Options
    I spoke to our Mazda rep on Friday, and no surprise, he was very tight lipped. He said that the initial few cars will ship to the west coast in April. I expect to see them out here in the Boston area in July-ish. Points south will most likely see them sooner, especially Wayne Mazda in NJ, being that they are the #1 volume dealer in the country. I'm still waiting on the information from Mazdausa.com that I signed up for
  • Options
    He said that the initial few cars will ship to the west coast in April. I expect to see them out here in the Boston area in July-ish.

I don't think the west coast dealers will get them come April. They have not had the opportunity to order any yet, and turn around from time of order to dealer lots is around 8-12 weeks. Remember, dealers will get to SEE the Mazda6 for the first time on April 25th. Look for ordering forms / specs / and pricing to follow AFTER that meeting.

I have been told that we can expect these on our lots come September / October at the earliest.
  • Options
    Why would they get to the west coast first? It will be built in Michigan, not Japan.
  • Options
    racerxlracerxl Member Posts: 2
    Good call on the not waiting thing.
    I am sure that it will not be until 2010 that Mazda doe as 6 door with go fast parts.
    If you want row the car yourself go with the Speed 3, if you want the auto shifter go with the VW.
    Happy shopping
    Let me how it works out.
    Later RXL
  • Options
    cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Any info on the rating of the 4 cyl. 2.5? I'm thinking that a more torquey (than the 2.3) 4 banger would be a better bet for a commuter like me than a 6 cyl. Now, if the 2.5 is only rated at 30 mpg maybe I'd reconsider a 6 cyl.--maybe-- but the prospect of $4 a gallon gas will make me do some serious contemplating.

If I like the new 6 and go for the 2.5 everything would then depend on whether Mazda keeps the manual transmission option. Can't imagine they'd get rid of it, but if they do, I'll be visiting others' showrooms.