Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Warranty Question

mikepokercatmikepokercat Member Posts: 7
edited June 2020 in Volkswagen
As I understand it from Googling around, in the U.S. for MY2018 and MY2019, Volkswagen had a 6 yr/72,000 mi basic & 6 yr/72,000 mi powertrain warranty. And VW said it was transferable to subsequent owners.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339627/volkswagen-extends-six-year72000-mile-bumper-to-bumper-warranty-to-nearly-its-entire-lineup/

If I buy a *used* 2018 Volkswagen now (June 2020) with, say, 30,000 miles, will the VW be covered under both basic and powertrain warranties for the remaining 4 yrs and 42,000 miles? I mean just regular used, not certified used. It seems like the answer is yes, but that seems too good to be true - as that would be longer than the prevailing basic warranty for new cars in the U.S. - 3 yr, 36,000 miles.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

As I understand it from Googling around, in the U.S. for MY2018 and MY2019, Volkswagen had a 6 yr/72,000 mi basic & 6 yr/72,000 mi powertrain warranty. And VW said it was transferable to subsequent owners.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339627/volkswagen-extends-six-year72000-mile-bumper-to-bumper-warranty-to-nearly-its-entire-lineup/

If I buy a *used* 2018 Volkswagen now (June 2020) with, say, 30,000 miles, will the VW be covered under both basic and powertrain warranties for the remaining 4 yrs and 42,000 miles? I mean just regular used, not certified used. It seems like the answer is yes, but that seems too good to be true - as that would be longer than the prevailing basic warranty for new cars in the U.S. - 3 yr, 36,000 miles.

Thanks,
    Mike

I sure hope that's the case. I bought a 2018 GTI in February (from a private party), and my understanding is the 6 yr 72K warranty goes with the car, no matter how many owners. (as I'm the 3rd owner).

VW was still suffering from Dieselgate, and this was their way to jump start sales in the US.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator