Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

War of the Compacts:Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, B-Series, & Hombre - II

Comments

• Options
    madhatr880madhatr880 Member Posts: 29
    what in the world are you hauling with your v6 houses. for what the average person hauls with a compact truck the tacoma is good enough. most people arent going to haul more than a small trailor or a fourwheeler or what ever that can put in the bed. if they planned on moving houses or horse trailes they would have either got an eighteen wheeler or a full size pickup. on the other hand if that is all that you have bad to say about toyotas "an open rearend" then you dont really have much to say do you.
  • Options
    allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Just what we need to start a trade war with one of our largest trading countries not to mention that Japan carries a good part of out national debt. The unions have been using the same hype for decades and I'm amazed how many union workers still believe them. You guys still working are extremely fortunate. Ask some of the ex-union steel workers that were making excessively high wages before they pushed most the industry out of this country what they think now.
  • Options
    rokkitrokkit Member Posts: 1
    Well folks, here's a chance to persuade a buyer.

I currently own a 98 Dodge Ram and am looking to get something new. I'm at a crossroads between a the pickups in this topic and a small SUV. Just got back a few days ago from doing a little looking and I haven't yet made up my mind.

As I said, I own a Dodge currently and am going to look into the Dakotas in a few days. I'm pretty happy with what my 98 has given me so far, but I split time between working full time and a student, and do a lot of traveling. So gas mileage is a factor. Here's my thoughts on two of the options so far. (Have been looking at quad cab/crew cabs by the way) Only two listed right now because I spent a lot of that first day looking into small SUVs.

Tacoma: Did not get to drive (late in the day, unfortunately). But liked a lot of what I saw and have heard good things about performance. Until I got into one. My father recently bought himself a new GMC full-size and while shopping around checked out the Tundra. He loved it, except for one thing - it felt really small. Not much room. I felt the same way about the Tacoma. Just felt extremely cramped. Anyone give me a little info about the gas mileage as well? (Don't recall what it was.)

Frontier: For the record, I really like the design - a big reason I went to take a look in the first place. Decent drive - I tested the V6, but not the 'supercharged' model. Pretty good handling. Not as cramped as the Tacoma, although the crew cab was just barely large enough to constitute being called one. A little tight there. Big negative was the mileage, where I expected a little better. In any case, a lot of positives for me but the negatives are tough to overlook.

Spent the rest of the day in Rav4s, CR-Vs, Xterras and Escapes. Not really the kind of thing I was looking for (I thought) but mileage and styling were appealing.

As you can see, its really up in the air right now. So how about a little help? Any way you good people can help me narrow my decision?
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    One of the stipulations of the Tundra plant in Indiana was it had to be union built but the workers are non uaw workers which means they make 1/3 less than the average uaw worker.
    Gooba the contractors are responsible for paying our benefits to our hall once a month if they do not pay are union hall would cover if needed.
  • Options
    amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    There was a great road test last year of several
    small SUV's in Truck Trend mag. My wife leased a '99 TRACKER, 4x4, 4 door with the new 2.0L engine and auto tranny, it came with skid plates, gets 24 mpg, does 105 mph...kind of cute looking, I hate driving it myself, but she loves it. Suzuki Gran VIAGARA, opps, sorry GRAN VITARA with V6 is also worth checking, all made in Canada. The Tracker is great on hills, good passing power...check out
    the SUV posts....If you must have a pick-up, any of the tiny, mini trucks with 4 bangers will do,
    S10 XTREME with four popper and manual tranny
    gets 28+ mph at steady cruise and looks sleek...
    very gutless but then you want decent mpg...

good luck in your search
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Would it be considered hypocritical to work on the Toyota factory construction team with your beliefs? Or is their money good enough to take home? Just trying to understand where you're coming from.
  • Options
    croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    I'm glad that your so proud of your $85k. As a consultant with the most profitable company in America, I get lots of chances to work with Union entrenched clients. This has clearly shown me that large powerful unions such as UAW are the main reason that U.S. companies can't compete in quality or productivity. As far as a trade deficit nobody is forced to buy a foreign products. The consumer votes with their dollar.
  • Options
    superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    When are you going to get out of the honda and buy your tacoma?
  • Options
    wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    What the hell are you talking about? Sounds like typical naive anti-union sentiment. Who do you think built the products that made these companies successful? It wasn't consultants! The profitability that you cherish comes on the backs exploited labor markets outside the U.S. Now there's some loyalty for ya - dis the workers that made your company a success, then try to sell it back to them at a nice healthy profit. Btw, your 'dream' car was built by a heavily unionized labor force in Germany, probably by employees that get up to 8 weeks of paid vacation year - those damn slugs! And, no, I didn't vote for Gore.
  • Options
    croy2croy2 Member Posts: 45
    The Honda is my wife's car. I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier CC, and I have no plans to buy a Tacoma at this time.
  • Options
    superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Your profile says you have a honda, then you say:

"Please don't start comparing the Tacoma to the
    Ford or Chevy. Take a look at these vehicles 3 or
    4 years down the road, and you will truly see which one is superior. That Taco will still be flawless and rattle free."

Thats why I asked when you were going to buy a tacoma.

Tacos are great....from Taco Bell! LOL
  • Options
    volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    Having once watched how a relocation of an AC outlet is done with union labor, I'm convinced that it is the least efficient way of doing a simple task. While the concept and origin of unions are well-intentioned, the execution invariably degrades to something much worse.

First it was the drywall union crew, then it was the framing union crew, then it was the insulation crew... yes, the framing crew refused to touch the insulation - it wasn't their job. All it would have taken was a little tug on the fiberglass batting to push it aside enough to work on the framing work. But NOOO!!!! Union rules absolutely forbade that. So they had to pay for the hourly and trip charge for an insulation guy to come in and push on the batting. And all this was before the union electrician was even brought in.

It gets worse when the trivial eletrical work was
    done: insulation crew, framing crew, drywall crew, texture crew, paint crew and clean up crew. I'm sure I'd missed a few more union crews in there somewhere since I wasn't staring at them work 100% of the time.

The whole mess took over 2 weeks to do and, I'm sure costed the company a boat load of money.

Ask why the North American International Auto Show hates New York City, and they will tell you unequivocally: "UNION LABOR".

Give my money to the Unions? Right. I'd rather donate it to the Florida Election Recount Fund. It'd be just as futile, but at least it's tax-deductible. ;-)
  • Options
    blksn8kblksn8k Member Posts: 36
    I certainly hope no one here believes the foreign manufacturers build vehicles in the U.S. because they want to employ American workers! Their reasons are purely economic. If they could build those same vehicles and employ workers in their own countries and make the same profit, you can damn well believe they would! When the foreign countries that have invaded our economy decide to play by fair rules, I might consider buying one of their vehicles. And yes, our fearless leaders are not blameless either. We have allowed this situation to happen, no doubt. As for myself, I still have the freedom of choice and I choose to buy from an American company. I would rather buy American than put a fellow American on a foreign payroll. The supposed difference in quality and reliability is not worth the risk to OUR economy. If more Americans felt this way those folks who now work for foreign companies could be building American vehicles for American companies. I suppose it is a sign of where our culture is going when people think about more about what they can get for the dollars in their pockets now rather than what sort of country they are leaving to their own children. Obviously I didn't vote for Alf Gore either.
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    So justify AMERICAN companies moving production to other countries!!!!! Like they really care about the welfare of the American worker. Gimme a break with all this buy American crap.

I'll try it ONE MORE TIME. What is more beneficial to the AMERICAN WORKER: That G.M. is making tons of money building vehicles in Mexico? Sure helps put food on my table. Or that Toyota/BMW/Kawasaki/Honda etc. employs AMERICAN WORKERS and contributes to a community economy with property taxes?
  • Options
    Could you give me a hint? LMAO!!
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Proved once again, allknowing uses his Tacoma as a commuter on the freeways of California! LOL... Well, bud, anytime you want to see some beautiful country come on up to some of the bets 4x4 play areas in the U.S., the Cascade ranger and coast ranger of Oregon and Washington! Yep, my Ranger, the truck you say can't 4x4 or in no way will stand up to offroading has been in and out of stuff you dream of...
    Madhat, please, look up what a HP/Torque curve is.... Yes, your truck CAN haul, tow, pull stuff.. But the Ranger will do it better...
  • Options
    you really just must not understand how the economy works at all. when we by a domestic car made in mexico or canada forgien workers are employed. and when one of these vehicle is sold the profits are returned to the company were the ceo's of this business profit greatly and more than likely turn around and buy expensive things for themselves. where is the profit for america in that. besides most rich people want to look rich and turn around and by mercedes bmws etc. at least when a forgien country invest in american workers and pay them, the money that they make is spent on improving our economy by investing in fast foods companies, day care, groceries(most farm products which are soley grown in america) large or small business such as wal-mart or your average family owned business. to say that you will only by usa made products is a crock of crap. there is no way that you could look at every tag that you own and say that everything was MADE IN THE USA. it is a solid fact of life the economical growth is give and take by every nation in the world. if we were to cut off all trade with other nations we would fail as a country and not to mention lose valuable technological advance discovered by nations other than our own.
  • Options
    dude you need help. i never said i could pull more i dont even care. im sure the ranger can pull more. like i said im not going to pull a house. as for your hp/torque curve i dont care. i get better gas mileage and i like my truck. get off the repetitive subject of you can pull more. if that is the only thing you know about there is a subject room about locking differentials that is were you need to be. argue with them.
  • Options
    Yeh I use my truck as a commuter and I also take it to the desert (which you don't have in Washington) as well as the mountains and snow. You don't have anything there that we don't have here in California. The truck has done fine without a limited slip rear end and the locker is there if I need it. Let me also note that my wife's Ford can get to most of the same places as my Toyota but my kidneys and nerves just hurt a little more after the trip in the Ford.
  • Options
    blksn8kblksn8k Member Posts: 36
    The fact is that the governments of most of the countries that your favorite manufacturers come from have barriers that prevent American companies from competing in their markets. Where is the fairness in that? I never said I only buy U.S. products period. Some products like electronics are not made here anymore in no small part because of unfair business practices by foreign countries and companies. To be sure, American labor unions have also done their share to screw things up. With your logic, maybe we should all be working for foreign companies. As far as American companies having manufacturing plants in countries like Mexico, yes, our labor unions are partially to blame. But American manufacturers have also been forced to find ways to compete when our own government stood by and allowed other countries to get away with economic murder. We are all free to make our own choices. I can live with mine.
  • Options
    amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    Don't forget Hollister hills near Gilroy (close to
    San Jose), awesome offroading, great hill climb,
    also Del Velle near Livermore. I had a mudduck
    '87 S10 ext. cab 4x4 2.8L with 205-75R15 tires and
    could cross deep streams, tackle sand, mud and
    make it up the steep hill climb where many V8
    Scouts, CJ's would squirm their tires, forget the
    big boys (Broncos, CK5's) they were limited to the
    Bunny hills....
  • Options
    cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    I know Nissan directly employs over 100,000 Americans in the US, they are also building a plant in Mississippi, I really doubt they imported a bunch of Japanese builders. As more buyers spend more money on "foreign" products, the economy has been doing the best it has in a long time, I am sure noone is complaining about their IRAs for the last 6 years, (Except for the last two months,
    thanks, Bush and Gore)Reason?... Where does the money that the foreign companies pay the american employees go? Goes to taxes for schools, income tax, american cars, clothes, food, houses, interest at banks, savings accounts, the stock market etc. Also we are at the smallest trade deficit in recent memory and are close to having a balanced budget, also there are American car delaerships in Japan, they are going belly up, the US automakers do not want dealerships there because they cannot compete. all of these facts would have to be factored in in any logical argument against buying foreign products especially one that claims they are draining the economy and we should all run for the hills. Well, I am off to spend some of my American money I got from Nissan in Italy, I know it will probably tank the stock market, but hey it is a nice place, ciao! And you boys play nice.
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    1. Unions have done some good in the past, but their management has become as bloated and irresponsible as the old robber barons that prompted the unions in the first place. Too many people are being hurt by anal union policies that protect the lazy and incompetent and create wages that are totally out of reason with what normal people have to live on.

2. We have only ourselves to blame for the amount of products that we depend on other countries for. There should be no reason that we buy products from China, a country that uses slave labor and pollutes the world. They make the products cheap and we buy for that reason. I used to buy Zenith electronics. They could no longer afford to make them here in the U.S. and now they are a brand of Gold Star and cheap.

3. Did anyone actually vote for Al Bore or are they all in nursing homes and mental institutions?
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I leave for a few weeks, and this room goes crazy! all of sudden people are spilling their life stories, how much money they make, etc etc. pathetic!

wake up people!!! we're in a global economy! 50 years ago I would have agreed with people who said "buy american." now it doesn't matter. Just read an article in Newsweek talking about Chevy Silverados make in Mexico. It costs GM far less to have them made there, and the quality of work is better than in the US factories. hmmmmm. can someone explain to me why we have unions again???
  • Options
    jschoonjschoon Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I'm a Brit so I don't know much about these truck things. I want to spend between 11 and 15K and I'd prefer an extra cab and an auto and one that does 0-60 in 4 seconds(just kidding). So obviously I might have to compromise and I will have to buy used. Suggestions?
    Much obliged in advance.
    Oh and I might be doing some snow driving. Is a 4x4 worth the money or would snow tires do a better job?
  • Options
    A lot of posts since the last time I was here,Gotta admit wether your antiunion or union this topic has picked up a bit.
    Croy2 here is a good question do you think its fair that an employee at the Indiana Tundra plant makes 1/3 less than the average UAW worker.
    I worked nonunion for awhile and put up with a lot of crap,organized labor is the only way for me, also you can blame NAFTA for the migration to Mexico and Canada but at least those Countries trade fairly with the US.I think either Reagan or Bush created Nafta.I absolutely would never buy a Tundra I even think the front of them looks Asian.I would consider a Tacoma but I think Ford and Chevy have come a long way since the 80's and there trucks are almost as good and better in ways than the Tacoma,plus the Taco is overpriced have any of you taco owners compared the price of a Tundra to a taco they are almost the same thats why they can't give away the tundras.
  • Options
    I think most here would agree with that.
  • Options
    For those who don't change and adapt to the ever changing world economy they will be left behind economically and socially. As much as some of you may think I am a "buy American" type of person, not so. I love competition!! We live in the best place in the world for product choices. Unions had a place at one time in our history, and may still have a place in some industries. I WILL NOT pay 75-100 bucks an hour for a plumber, I'll do it myself! Choice is nice, Thank god for Home Depot!! I believe in fair trade, keyword is FAIR.
    Allknowing, once again you show your true colors. We have deserts in Eastern Oregon bud..And we do have something here in the NW California doesn't, clean air!! and there is more, clean water, two mountain ranges, rivers galore... room to roam... shall I go on??.... The most livable city in the USA, Portland, Oregon! (per Money mag).
    Madhat, just showing you your Tacoma isn't all that you think it is, had to pop the old "Toyota is god" bubble...:-) I would say a rear diff, and hp/torque curves are pretty important for those of us who use our 4x4's as real 4x4's that is. Do you know where the Tacoma sits as far as crash test ratings???....
  • Options
    i have been looking for the crash test but i have not found anyone who has a complete test done yet. everyone i have found is still waiting for the results of thier completion. if you do know of a sight i would like to know what it is. as for any of us to say that one truck is better than the other is just not true for anything. the best truck that anyone can buy is the one that they like and the one that fits thier personality. all trucks and cars are just as good as the other, if it is what you want personally. too often then not we all base how good our trucks are by hear say, statistics, and bias reports by other people who have thier favorties. the only way to know that you have the best truck is to drive them all, and pick the one you like. even then some one else has done the same thing you have done and chose another. so my advice to anyone is enjoy the one you have or are planning to get because it is the one for you.
  • Options
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001Pkup.html

Notice the side impact rating on the tacoma.
  • Options
    the rating really disturbed the engineers at Toyota. You could say that they couldn't believe that they earned a rating like that.
  • Options
    Vince8 repeating himself again!!! Are you trying to say that the Ranger's "superior torque curve" allows the Ranger to outperform the Tacoma off-road Vince? Show me some proof that your Ranger can go somewhere that a Tacoma can't. I know that's a bunch of Crap.
    As far as the crash tests Madhat- The Tacoma has an acceptable rating. It scores low only in side impact tests which statistically make up a very small percentage of real accidents. You will find, if you check available data, that the Tacoma does not have more injurys or deaths per units sold than the Ranger. In fact, the Ranger may have a higher per unit death rate (See crashtest.com). The Ranger is scored the worst possible for death rates on several model years while the Tacoma isn't for some reason which is not explained. Another safety fact to consider, if cp's past four wheel mag. link is correct, is that the Tacoma's stopping distance from 55-0 was 30 feet less than the Ranger in their tests. That could easily be the difference between being part of, or avoiding, an accident. The Ranger is a good truck but it isn't a superior truck to it's competition. Unless, of course, you're really worried about a side impact crash which is the Tacoma's weak point.
  • Options
    Maybe the reason that Toyotas aren't involved in accidents is that the yuppy owners are afraid to take their expensive toys out if there is even the slightest hint of rain or snow -). Actually, I would suspect that the demograftics of the owners has lot to do with it. More teenagers driving Rangers than Toys and some other factors.

jschoon: Check out the Dakota, if you would rather a new vehicle. If not, the Ranger would be a good choice. There are a lot of questions which could better help in our assisting you. How much and what type of snow conditions are you looking at? Do you plan on getting off the main roads? Is this a fun vehicle or is there a reason for going to a pickup? How often do you expect to haul more than two people? Towing? As an example, if you are in a flat land state, the slightly underpowered models may do just fine. Driving in the Rockies requires planty of reserve power. If most of your driving is in the cities, forget 4x4. And remember that there is a world of difference in driving a pickup and a BMW.
  • Options
    5min4fighting5min4fighting Member Posts: 9
    Im getting ready to get a new to decide between the Dakota and Ranger. The big selling point for me right now is that the Ranger supercab doors open, making it easier to get to the back where the Dakota doesnt. For those that have extended cabs that dont open...how much of a pain is it to get to your stuff??

I did look at the 4-door pickups but I dont really
    like them so Ive ruled them out..
  • Options
    wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    I have the Dakota club cab and access to the back is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. Other than that it's a great truck.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Have a Frontier and is not easy accessing the back seat area. The Ranger is excellent when it comes to the engineering of the doors and it now offers an ugraded 4.0 engine with 200 HP. Given the choices you listed I would go with the Ranger.
  • Options
    I ordered my Ranger without the 4door option in 1998. I do some offroading for fishing/hunting/camping reasons. I opted out of the 4doors because I was afraid of frame stresses while offroading. Thus causing the doors not to shut right, or eventually have wind noise. I don't have that much of a problem getting stuff in and out of my Ranger supercab. Although, putting a large box or somthing rigid in would prove a task.
    The new Ranger for 2001 is awesome. It now come with a 204HP/240ft/lbs of torque SOHC 4.0. Ford has also listened to its consumers and is going to offer an offroad version with special rearend, shocks, tires ect... Dakota is a nice truck no doubt. The 4.7 V8 is a very nice addition. You really have to ask yourself though, what are you going to use the truck for? Do you need 4WD? Are you going to tow large loads?
    Allknowing, The Ranger has the better HP/Torque curve. Do your homework on what this means as far as towing, pulling or hauling. I can write a whole page explaining this to you...
  • Options
    5min4fighting5min4fighting Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the advice! I do pull a 3500lb boat
    in the summer and definitely want 4 wheel drive for my hunting trips. Other than that, my truck would not see any heavy duty work.
  • Options
    i know vince8 keeps talking about the hp/torque curve between other trucks. yes ford has more hp and torque but toyota has more payload than ford and 880lbs. more towing capacity. vince if you dont belive me go to www.ford.com or www.toyota.com and you will see for yourself. you can pull just as much with a yota as you can a ford. vince you can argue this all day long but i will hook up to anything you do and pull it. your posit-trac is better but i can still pull it. if i have trouble at first pulling something then i will use what 4x4 is really made for(not mudd ridding which is very fun.) i know that ford is very good and i would rather push a ford than drive a chevy in most cases and in fact they own one of the best four wheel drive companies in the world the range rover. if no one belives that go to www.ford.com. what ever truck you buy, most truck companies make a very competitive version of most trucks to other companies. however when i do buy a towing truck i will get an F-350 4x4 crew cab dually power stroke the only truck that beat the dodge cummins.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    A little clarification on capacities to compare the ratings via apples to apples.

The Ranger's "standard towing" rating of around 2000lbs (give or take depending on trim, engine, tranny, etc...) is when the truck is equipped only with a ball hitch on the bumper.

The Ranger's "maximum towing" rating of around 5800lbs (give or take depending on trim, engine, tranny, etc...) is when the truck is properly equipped with a Class III hitch.

I am assuming the Toyota's rating of a max around 5000lbs is when the truck is properly equipped with a Class III hitch. Toyota doesn't give a rating for a ball hitch on the bumper (if it's even possible, I can't remember).

To all of the payload junkies, the Tacoma's maximum payload rating is around 2000lbs and the Ranger's maximum payload rating is around 1800lbs.

I'd personally never load either truck down like that, except for extremely short jaunts.
  • Options
    goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    I have not seen an advertised rating over 5000lbs for a class 3 hitch.Where can I get the higher rated hitch?
  • Options
    Anyplace that sells pickup accessories, U-haul dealers, or farm supplies stores like Atwoods all sell class IV hitches if they are made for a particular vehicle.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    Ooops. My bad. I meant a Class IV hitch for the Ranger. Go to www.hitchweb.com to check 'em out if you're interested. They've got a really great search engine to find the exact hitch for your particular truck. Very neat.

BTW, I actually went with a Class II Reese hitch for my truck. It's rated at 3500lbs, which is pleanty for my needs. I just don't like towing more weight than my actual truck. If I needed to do so, I'd just switch to a full-sized truck.
  • Options
    I have been chatting with everyone on here for a while now. I own a 2001 toyota tacoma. If I can offer any advice to someone "dont buy one". I took it in the mud one time and now the altenater is fried. I got mud in it. when i took it in the dealership says they wont pay for it i have to. does anyone else think this is crap. the truck has 1300 miles on it. i dont know about yall but if i didnt plan on going offroad i wouldnt have bought a four wheel drive. they basically said that it was my fault because i got i muddy. can anyone tell me what the hell they are smoking at toyota. they are basically saying that their trucks cant handle the mud. if this is what toyota calls a good mud truck the screwed in the head. a good ridding and looking truck yes. but if i didnt plan on taking it offroad i would have bought a 2 wheel drive.
  • Options
    tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    haha thats pretty funny to see a Tacoma have some pretty bad problems. I cant wait to see what the Tacoma boys have to say about this. Trade your truck in for a 01 Ranger or 01 Dakota, I think they are much better. Good luck with your truck!
  • Options
    How did you get mud in your alternator? Do you have skid plates? Sorry to hear about your alternator,I'm sure because its a Toyota its gonna be expensive.Not to be a wise guy but ask spoog over in the ranger/tacoma forum he's an expert on Toyota's.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    You should see a lawyer and start a class action lawsuit. Mud in the alternator has probably happened to 1000's or even 100's of 1000's of Toyota owners. Toyota really should wake up and start replacing any part that fails when they get muddy. Ford and Dodge would be much better choice for you. Why did you ever buy a Toyota anyway.
  • Options
    i have already contacted my layer. the problem really comes from the fact that the dealer that i am trying to take my truck to is not the one that i bought the truck from. the dealer i bought the truck from is getting involved tomorrow and said that they will make sure it is fixed. i have already emailed toyota about the problem and have been assured that the problem will be resolved. i was however impressed about the way the truck handled in the mud, but if i have to be worried about putting it in the mud then it is not worth having. the fault is on toyota engineers. on the 88 model i had the alternator was on the top of the motor on the 2001 it is on the bottom. if this is not ignorance in design then i dont know what is. COMMENTS PLEASE.
  • Options
    cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    madhatr;
    Actually, if you look at the warranty it says it will cover defects in material and workmanship, you getting mud in the alternator does not fall in that category, if you broke the axle going over a boulder would you say that they should have made the axle stronger and expect them to fix it? if they fix it for you for free, feel lucky and install some kind of guard on it. Same thing happened to a frontier 4x4 I know of, but the kid did a very poor 3" body lift, and left all of the hoses and evrything else stock, now there was more room for mud to get in there, then he went in mud that was up to the bottom of the truck, there was mud in the intake, alternator, everywhere, Nissan would not fix it because of the mods and the fact that there was mud everywhere. Good luck I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    While I agree that the alternator should be higher or a better design, if your purchasing dealer is working with you, your best bet is to have them make sure it gets fixed. I would continue to drive it the way you want. If the alternator keeps frying, use the lemon law. it may also be just a bad alternator or a freak combination of events. Don't let one little incident cloud your judgement.

Personally, I think that if a person wants to go off-roading, they should get a beater and use the savings on repairs. Of course, I also don't have a high regard for what Toyota thinks a truck should be. Almost as bad as what GM laughingly refers to as a pickup.
This discussion has been closed.