Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which hybrid to buy?

seress90seress90 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in Lexus
Hey all,

This is a repost of a discussion, unfortunately I couldn't find a way to delete the discussion itself, I just realized i posted the below incorrectly. Apologies for that.

I'm fairly new both on the page and in the world of hybrid cars.
I'm just about to change my Mazda 6 2006 2.0 and fortunately I'll be able to buy a hybrid/PHEV car.
I have a few certain models in mind and I'd like to ask for some assistance in the decision. I need it to be either a wagon or a SUV as I often need to travel with my doggos, and I'm soon to be a dad as well, we definitely need the space. Though I dont specifically wanna speed a lot, I'd appreciate if it could accelerate quickly for overtaking, fuel consumption is absolutely secondary.

I will be using them mostly in the city with the occasional longer drives. I don't have a problem charging the cars, fortunately I have the possibility to do so at work.

The types I have in mind:
Lexus RX450h from around 2010-2011
Mercedes-Benz C350Te from 2015-ish
Volvo V60 PHEV around 2015-ish

I read that the Lexus is very reliable however I'm unsure if this changed due to the higher milage compared to the other newer options.
I love how luxuriant the MB is, but I'm slightly afraid that it would require a lot more maintenance due to the turbo it has, same with the Volvo as the diesel engine comes with two turbochargers and with all their maintenance costs.

I'd appreciate if any of you would be able to provide me some insight on the two latter, I tried to dig up information online but apparently both the Mercedes and the Volvo are too new for people to complain about them, I can't be sure what the common issues are and how reliable they are, how high the maintenance costs are.

Thank y'all in advance!

G
Tagged:

Best Answer

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Answer ✓
    I'll say that any of those choices will be shockingly expensive to maintain/repair. If I were buying a used car, I'd avoid hybrids, as those repair costs might be even higher than a gas model, as they age.

But, out of those three, even with the advanced age, the Lexus will be the cheapest to own, most likely.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Answers

• DrBoostFireDrBoostFire Member Posts: 2
    If you have the option to test drive all, please do.

My recommendation for car enthusiasts or anyone cross-shopping is to request a test drive for all their choices. And take a look at build quality, reliability, and other things that you would like to see in a car you are considering.

See which one works for you.