Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera - Low key touches of luxury

124»

Comments

• Options
    hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    No noise
    No improvement
    No improved gas mileage
    Messy to clean
    High cost

Only advantage is future savings on replacing standard filter

Sorry I've tried 3 of these filters on 3 different car and saw NO IMPROVEMENT
    I've learned my lesson
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    As quiet as the car runs, I would find it hard to believe that the filter would make that much of a difference in the noise level. However, even if it did...my sound system would drown it out! LOL

I have never heard of any complaints about noise with the K&N filter. The only complaint I've ever really heard or read is the cleaning process, but to most...it trumps spending money on replacements every few thousand miles.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmm...makes me wonder if I shouldn't just upgrade to an aftermarket CAI system. Do you think a CAI system would be a better choice?
  • Options
    I believe most of this stuff is snake oil.or placebo effect. With the big push to improve gas milage and performance car mfg. would add these devices to their cars ? Don't you think that if these devices worked that car mfg.would have it already.
  • Options
    Well...actually, Hyundai does employ a CAI system on the Azera. It's just not short and direct like the aftermarket units.

I've also understood, from various readings and discussions with mechanics that increased airflow definitely enhances engine performance. Is this not correct? In regards to K&N, wouldn't they fear being sued for false advertising if their filters didn't, indeed do as they state? Not picking a fight, just wondering how they would be able to get away with the claims they have made without there being any truth to it.
  • Options
    Who has the money to sue... A lawyer can't get enough money with one person. He would need a class action to be worth his wild getting involved. Most people would just chalk it up a bad buy and forget it. The other people fall into the PLACEBO effect............... You would think the FTC would check out many claims BUT the don't. Just look at all the TV & newsprint ads for various diet supplements or vitamins that make all the claims how great they work. :=)
    All I know is KN didn't improve anything on a 1999 Solara, 2004, XG350, 2007 Azera, and a 2008 Entourage. I guess I'm not to smart because I keep hoping I
    will see some improvement BUT I DIDN'T. The only justification is I can keep using the same filter instead of buying stardard replacements :=)
    Google problems with K&N and judge yourself..... Trusting positive ads on the internet is not always the best advice because you don't no if the Mfg is posting
    positive remarks as part of their marketing plans.
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    edited June 2010
    I've also understood, from various readings and discussions with mechanics that increased airflow definitely enhances engine performance.No doubt about it - if the engine is strangled for air at high RPMs. But think about it, in normal driving, your engine rarely revs past 3000 RPM. The air volume requirements at low revs are met with even a half clogged factory filter. Anyone driving for economy keeps the revs low, so how is the K&N going to help economy? I have used K&N on racing motorcycles, and didn't note any HP increase over a well maintained stock filter, but in those situations you go for any possible advantage.
  • Options
    Gotcha! So the K&N filter is really better used as a racing filter then as the engine would be revving higher a lot more, huh? So...what about an aftermarket CAI system? Do you think it would improve upon the OEM set-up?
  • Options
    NO............. all it will do is amplify the noise of sucking air
    Don't you think that Hyundai would use an aftermarket system if it improved performance or improve mileage ??????????
    All this CAI system will do is make your wallet lighter :=)
  • Options
    Don't you think that Hyundai would use an aftermarket system if it improved performance or improve mileage ??????????

No, not exactly....there's a lot of aftermarket components that car manufacturers don't use because of cost. Take for instance the OEM tires that come with the Azera...are they the best that can be offered? Are the windshield wipers that come with the car the best you can possibly have on there? You got to remember that car builders have to walk a fine line in what they offer versus cost. A CAI system must work because they employ it, but by it not being as short and open as an aftermarket one...does it really offer the benefits of a CAI system that you normally see?

As quiet as the Azera is, I really doubt that switching to an aftermarket CAI would cause an issue with noise unless you drive with your hood up.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Another consideration is that a lot of "tuner parts" impact vehicle emissions and not in a good way.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    Spent your money as you see fit. Hyundai CAI was design to keep air noise down.
    I have heard so called custom CAI's and you can hear the noise.... and it will make your Azera sound CHEAP. On your comment about keeping cost down is a valid point however so is increasing mileage and performance on the cheap. Look at the field day Marketing would have advertising better mileage and more horse power.
    Look at all the money spent on new engine designs. Better tire? better wiper blades ? not much to talk about but more power and improved gas mileage yes now Marketing has something to advertise............. Yes if these simple CAI or fancy filers worked they would use them.

Most aftermarket products don't work just plain SNAKE OIL
  • Options
    Gotcha. ;)
  • Options
    54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    For advertising purposes, I think legal eagles refer to it as "puffery", something akin to poetic license in the publishing world.... Nowadays, the only place where you see outright "LIES" is in the halls of Congress...
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Don' they call that "mis-spoke" ?

van
This discussion has been closed.