Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A note:

The 270 horsepower Altima with a 6-speed Manual tested at 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

The 244 horsepower Accord with a 6-speed Manual tested at 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

Same magazine tested them (Car and Driver).

The Accord V6s are coming in at $500-$750 under invoice (a loaded model for under $25k regularly if you don't want NAVI, if you do, add $2k).

Altimas are hot commodities being so new, I'll be surprised to see much off of sticker on those at the moment (Figure $2k+ more than a comparable equipped Accord).

If you are buying the Altima to be quicker, I'm not sure you'll find it a whole lot more appealing. And that Honda manual is one of the best in the business. Make sure you test both of them!
  • aamixyaamixy Posts: 69
    Thanks for the picture. It looks like a concept to me. :)
    I test-drove the SE V6 twice which gave me different
    feeling. The first time was good but the second time is a little worst since it rides a little bumpy.
    I am gonna go with Accord since Altima with the similar options would cost over $25k+ttl which is beyond my OTD budget. Like I said in the previous post, my first test drive of the Accord was quite good compared to an earlier test drive of a Camry LE V6 (bumpy ride and thin chassis); but after the second test of both cars, my impression was reversed: the Camry rides very smooth and less bumpy than the Accord. Anyway, these are just my personal feelings.

My current concern is that I probably have missed the $750 incentive since it ends today. I'll try sending out the internet bid next week. Thanks for all you guys' inputs!
  • The ride on the V6 Accord is harsher than the Camry, no doubt. But (IMO) the improved driving dynamics more than make up for it. Sounds like you have the same budget I had and I decided to go with the SE V6 Accord and save a few grand. I have no trouble living without the bells & whistles--I just want a good driving car. I wouldn't go over $22K OTD for the SE right now and you can probably get under that if you try ($22.4K for me in 11/06).
    That sounds like an unbelieveably low OTD price. I am in the bay area, CA. My first time rough negotiation with a dealer quoted me $24k OTD. Good to know this $22k. One other thing is I feel I can get in and out the Camry much easier than the Accord since the Camry's steering wheel can be tilted more towards the panel, leaving enough space between the bottom arc of the wheel and the seat for my legs (I am 6'2"). I've already tried hard to adjust the wheel and the seat in the Accord and still there is a little bit difficulty. Hopefully I can get used to it.
  • jehujehu Posts: 5
    Just bought an SE V6 in Bay Area last weekend. Get quotes from different dealers websites. You'll probably ending up working w/ fleet managers who can give you a lower price than showroom floor. $22K OTD. Maybe can get lower if you play dealers off each other.
    Thanks for the information. Which dealer did you end up buying from? The dealer at Stevens Creek told me they will beat price from other dealers. :)
  • I just bought an LX V6 from University Honda in Davis. Paid $22800+t+l. I love this car! Everything about it is quality. It's fast and handles well, ride could be better but you have to trade off ride for handling. This is my 2nd Accord of this generation. Went from a 03 EX V6 6 speed coupe to to the 07 LX V6 sedan and both are great cars. IMO even with the redesign the Altima interior looks and feels cheap and the Accord will always have better resale.
    Larry Hopkins in Sunnyvale. They said they'd beat anyone's price by $100. Of course, this was a couple of weeks ago when they probably had to meet their month-end quotas. :D
  • Good deal! That's $1500 over what I paid for my SE V6. That's about right. I like the interior except for the grey cloth on the seats. Just ordered some classy seat covers to spice things up and keep the seats clean for resale when the '09 diesel comes out! :)
    I went there a week before the end of Jan. A saleswoman introduce the SE to me in great details. I was very impressed.

$100 doesn't sound that generous...:)
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 858

...I just bought an LX V6 from University Honda in Davis. Paid $22800+t+l. Went from a 03 EX V6 6 speed coupe to to the 07 LX V6 sedan and both are great cars........

....you know, I test drove the AV6 6M at University.......
    ..was so impressed with the car (not too impressed with UH's General Sales honcho).......I bought an '05 for $23.4 plus tx/lic........(but not in Davis..or even Sac)...

..actually CarsD was the low bid.

..now the car faces two new coupes. Both Altima and an 8th Gen Honda are vying for my Naval Reserve pay...........

Be as it may, IMHO the 6M has raised the bar big time. Should be an interesting summer and fall.

best, ez...
    No $100 isn't much, but it's a nice dinner with the family. :)
  • That's too bad about the GM at UH. My experience there was the best car purchasing experience I've ever had but then again I didn't deal with the GM.

The 6M is incredible, I really hated giving it up but fortunately the automatic is very responsive.

I was planning on buying the next gen TSX for my next car but the 8th Gen Accord looks so good it's making me rethink my plans. If the 8th Gen sedan looks half as good as the coupe I'm there.

I find it interesting that the Altima and Camry are both total redesigns and yet the Accord is on C&D's 10 best list yet again.
  • yes, agreed, the ride on the 06/07 V6 coupe (dont know about the sedan) is VERY firm. You can FEEL every bump in the road. Also, the steering is a bit on the heavy side. But, for 25K for an 06 EX V6, it would be hard to beat. yes, the styling is conservative but thats ok, makes a great sleeper car. :D
  • I believe that the suspension tuning on the V6 is the same for the coupe and the sedan except that the RSB is one millimeter thicker (13mm sedan/14mm coupe). That might account for a slightly firmer ride for the coupe. I think the steering feels a bit heavy because of the mediocre stock tires.
    Just realized this $22k OTD means the selling price is around $1600 lower than the invoice. Here is how I came up with the number:

1. $22000/(1+10%)=$20000 (selling price)
    where 10% is the ttl
    2. MSRP of the SE V6 is $21638 including destination charge
    3. $20000-21638=$-1638

Is this right? I guess there was a $750 manufacturer to dealer incentive included. But that still means they are selling the car around $900 below invoice. I am going to talk with them this weekend. Hopefully I can get similar price.
    That's correct. I got a quote from another dealer for $20K flat before tax/license/etc.

I don't know if timing makes any difference, but we got our car at the end of the month. Maybe if you can wait til month-end, you can get a better deal (when the dealers have to meet their quotas)?

Good luck!
  • You made a mistake on (2). The MSRP is $23,490 or something like that, the INVOICE is $21,638 including destination charge or $21,043 without. I got my SE V6 at the end of the month for $543 under invoice ($20,500 + destination). If the incentives are now $750 for dealers you should be able to do at least that well.
  • It still feels less well-built inside than my Accord does after over 70,000 miles. Buttons that wobble around in their holes just drive me insane.

BB Brock
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    buttons that wobble?
  • Yeah, in the stereo/aircon controls. Didn't feel as solid as the Accord.

May have been a fluke, but Nissan doesn't have the best rep for interior quality, so I felt like it was going to be the norm. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, since competition only helps the consumer.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Hmmm, they must save all the quality for the accord. I bought a civic new a couple years ago, and I must say; I'm very unimpressed with the quality, interior that is. True, it has primarily knobs and not buttons,(not that i've ever noticed a wobbly button) but the rest is quite lacking. all the trim seems to be very loosly held in place, and of a quite flimsly material, and the cloth material on the door fell off, and all but the ex trim comes with a cassette player. Just cleaning it makes it apparent how poor the interior is. I get the feeling I could easily remove everything with just my hands. Not that I'm complaining about the car, it runs great is very reliable and gets great milage, but i just can't help but to get that "budget car" feeling from it. Perhaps the Accords offer much better quality, but for the price you pay for one, you could probably buy a maxima.
    Perhaps the Accords offer much better quality, but for the price you pay for one, you could probably buy a maxima.

The Accord IS higher in quality than the Civic (my dad has a 2007 Civic, I have a 2006 Accord - both EX models).

Not sure what price you are talking about, unless you can get Maxima's for $24k - the price that EX-V6 Accords can be had for. V6 Accords start around $21k I believe. They are approx $750 below invoice with a factory to dealer incentive. Not sure the Maxima offers the quality you are looking for...LOTS of plasticky plastic (if you know what I mean).
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    Not sure the Maxima offers the quality you are looking for...LOTS of plasticky plastic (if you know what I mean).

Have you ever actually driven a Maxima?? Go check out an '07 and get back to us. It's an amazing car.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">link title
    Yeah, I have cousins who drive nothing but Nissans, so I get exposure to them regularly (usually the Maxima, actually). Between the 06 Altima and 06 Maxima they drive, I had reached the conclusion that my buddy's '97 Maxima has better interior quality.

I've only sat in the 07s, not driven, but I couldn't tell a great big difference. I had only a limited time in them though, so I'm a little reluctant to stand by a statement about the 07s yet. I need another go in it. The 2006 Maxima felt pretty cheap (while having nice features).
    Well, I do know they were supposed to have improved the interior dramatically between the '07s and the '04s-'06s. I'm not all that familiar with the '04s-'06s, but I did check out an '07 and it's REALLY nice. I'd love to replace my '03 with one, but wifey just bought a new minivan. :sick:
    the primary reason one buys a car like a Maxima is neck-snapping acceleration, though near-luxe interior is a close second. ;)
    Well, I heard they were supposed to improve things, but the few things that had bothered me (specifically how buttons and knobs felt) did not feel improved in the 2007 model. I liked the interior of your 2003 model better, to tell the truth.

What kind of van did y'all get?
    Well, I heard they were supposed to improve things, but the few things that had bothered me (specifically how buttons and knobs felt) did not feel improved in the 2007 model. I liked the interior of your 2003 model better, to tell the truth.

What kind of van did y'all get?

Chrysler Town and Country. I'm not a huge fan of Chrysler, but it offered the most for the money by FAR. It will be the van that gets our kids all the way from toddlerhood through elementary school, so I'm not especially concerned about resale. ;)

I can honestly say that the '07 Max is better than my '03 in nearly every category. Heck, in a lot of areas the '07 Altima is a better car than my Maxima.

I do like my car's front end better than the current Maxima, though.

I'm specifically thinking of the '07s beefier seats, the center stack looks MUCH more modern, it's quieter, a ton more trunk space, more gadgets, etc...

It is weird, though. There are some discrepencies, like my '03s little cupholder compartment door is much thicker than the newer car's, same for the sunglass holder.

It's really too bad the G35 is so expensive. I just have limits on how much I'll pay for a car, and the Maxima is right there. :) The only reason I will even pay the Maxima price is because the car is so good. Even though my car was built in 10/02, it is just rock solid and hasn't really seemed to age. I took delivery of the thing 4 years ago from last Monday, and it is just bank-vault solid. On Michigan roads, no less.