Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How do you find out what the dealer's price is if they won't tell you?

Rav4ShoppingRav4Shopping Member Posts: 9
edited May 2021 in Toyota
Am I being too direct in asking for both the dealer's and the MSRP price quotes to buy a new car? What's the proper way to go about getting what the dealer paid vs. what the sticker price says? I find Edmunds calculation chart confusing - because the only number I'm able to plug in is the MSRP. So far, dealers have only sent me the MSRPs and when I ask for the dealer price thy say they're selling at MSRP and ignore my question. Any advice?

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011

Am I being too direct in asking for both the dealer's and the MSRP price quotes to buy a new car? What's the proper way to go about getting what the dealer paid vs. what the sticker price says? I find Edmunds calculation chart confusing - because the only number I'm able to plug in is the MSRP. So far, dealers have only sent me the MSRPs and when I ask for the dealer price thy say they're selling at MSRP and ignore my question. Any advice?

Is this the pricing guide you used?

At the moment, there is not a lot of inventory, so many dealers are not discounting their new cars at all.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Rav4ShoppingRav4Shopping Member Posts: 9
    Oh, okay that makes me feel better. I was about to accept an offer that seemed like a good deal - the best of the lot from the dealers that responded - but then I read somewhere (here, I think) that you should get the dealer's quote and so I started asking for that [which has gotten me nowhere so far]. Thanks for your help.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011

Oh, okay that makes me feel better. I was about to accept an offer that seemed like a good deal - the best of the lot from the dealers that responded - but then I read somewhere (here, I think) that you should get the dealer's quote and so I started asking for that [which has gotten me nowhere so far]. Thanks for your help.

It's always good to get the full offer in writing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4