Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V 2WD or FWD

bacardigoldbacardigold Member Posts: 2
I am new to US and right now live in NewYork. I am planning to buy a used 2003 Honda CRV LX Model. I saw a vehicle from the local listings and went to the owner for test drive. The owner says it's a 2003 Honda CRV LX and it has 4 wheel drive. When i ran the carfax report, it showed me the vehicle as Front Wheel drive. Below is the decription from carfax.

2003 HONDA CR-V LX
4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
2.4L L4 PFI DOHC / FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

When i spoke to the owner about this, he says it's a front wheel drive and it has 4 wheel drive too. I am just confused here. Are there two models in 2003 Honda CRV LX.

The price is huge difference between 2WD & 4WD. How do i know i am not cheated here?
Please throw some lights here...

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The price is huge difference between 2WD & 4WD. How do i know i am not cheated here? "

Try calling your insurance agent and giving them the VIN. They can decode it to tell you if it is FWD or AWD.

The LX was available in both AWD and FWD.

I suspect that Carfax is correct, and that it is an FWD.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    In simple terms: In normal driving, the CR-V will be using the front wheels to propel the vehicle. Once the system senses slippage, power is directed to the rear wheels.

For definitive specs on the one you're looking at, create yourself a profile, and enter the VIN on Honda's ownerlink website.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Did they have a AWD lock button on the 2004?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    AWD models have a graphic "Real Time 4WD"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"Did they have a AWD lock button on the 2004?"

No model of the CR-V has ever had locking 4WD. AWD is engaged when the front wheels slip.
  • bacardigoldbacardigold Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all your replies. I spoke to the insurance company and found out that the vehicle has only front wheel drive. I will talk to the owner today. Thanks again.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I would say that this seller is a liar and to stay away from him. 2WD SUV's are very diificult to sell in the areas where it snows. He knows that and he was hoping that your lack of knowledge help him unload his unwanted ride. IF you still want this vehicle, offer him soemthing around $10,000. If he does not accept, he will have hard time selling this in NY. If he does, then you get a nice FWD station wagon.

On the other hand, someone who would lie about something that can be easily checked with carfax or just by bending over and looking at the rear axle (to check for the rear differential) he would be just as likely to lie about previous accidents, maintenance and problems. I would not believe a word he says. He probably rolled the mileage back as well.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    The price is huge difference between 2WD & 4WD.

I guess that depends on one's definition of "huge". For the '06 (you can find the same info for the '03) originally the difference between a FWD and AWD CR-V was $1200 (based on MSRP) and $1107 (based on invoice) on the same trim level.

On a $20K vehicle that's around 5%. That's one reason I can't quite understand why everyone doesn't get the AWD CR-V. Pro rate that $1107-$1200 over the typical life of the vehicle and it's less than a dollar a day, and probably way less than that based on how long a Honda can last. Quite a bargain IMHO.
    "That's one reason I can't quite understand why everyone doesn't get the AWD CR-V. Pro rate that $1107-$1200 over the typical life of the vehicle and it's less than a dollar a day, and probably way less than that based on how long a Honda can last. Quite a bargain IMHO."

Three reasons:

1. Less maintenance (rear differential).
    2. Better MPG.
    3. No plans to use the vehicle off road, or (like myself) you live in a snow free zone like CA.

My 2003 was an EX; one could not get FWD with an EX that year. I'm not sure if I would have purchased AWD or not if I'd had a choice.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Three reasons:

1. Less maintenance (rear differential).
    2. Better MPG.
    3. No plans to use the vehicle off road, or (like myself) you live in a snow free zone like CA.

1. Changing the fluid on the rear differential once every couple of years is about it. In all the time I've been on CR-V boards I don't recall anyone having a problem with the differential.

2. For the current model the MPG difference between FWD and AWD is 1 and 2 mpg city/highway. Maybe after a few years someone will save enough to buy an extra tank of gas or two.

3. The CR-V is not meant for off roading. The AWD comes in to play in many everyday situations, not just snow. Despite the title of the song I'm pretty sure it does rain in CA (and it even snows in many areas of the state also).

To each their own of course but as mentioned, the few extra pennies AWD adds to the overall cost of the vehicle over it's life is good insurance in my eyes. Oh yeah, don't forget resale value. People want their SUV to have AWD, check some of the posts from salespeople about how they can't get rid of a used FWD CR-V.
  • grafzeppelingrafzeppelin Member Posts: 14
    Here's a question. I have a 2000 CRV EX standard transmission and I have never felt, nor otherwise had any indication that the 4WD system has engaged. I used to drive a company Ford Explorer which had 4WD, and the 4WD was engaged whenever a push-button on the dash was depressed (After pressing the button I would sometimes hear a "thunk", but always the "4WD" light would illuminate when in 4WD mode). I understand that the CRV has "Real-Time" 4WD, and has no push-button nor any manual method to engage the 4WD, but I have never felt anything to indicate the system was engaged. I am certain that it has 4WD capability, since it has the rear differential and drive-shaft, rear CV joints, etc. Anyone care to take a stab at this one? :confuse:
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Go out on a snow or ice covered parking lot. Turn the steering wheel to the left or right, clutch-in, rev up the engine, and release the clutch. If differential is working you should go into oversteer.

Honda has a procedure to check differential functionality. I don't remember the exact procedure, but it is soemthing like this:

Lift the vehicle, you can use jack stands in the home setting. Start her up, put her in gear and see if all 4 wheels are turning. Then play with the parking brake to see if the engine stalls. If it stalls, then AWD is working.
  • sekiseki Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 CR-V LE with decal on back 'Real Time 4WD' that is awful in the rain or in snow. In the rain, I can more than I should feel the wheels slipping for short time periods. Last year I stuck in a small amount of snow near my cabin that my previous CV-V would have easily through. As we were trying to back out of the snow we noticed that the rear wheels were never powered either in R or in 1/2. Only the front wheels moved as we tried to back out or push forward.

On my previous CR-V, a dash indiciator would come on to show when 4WD was engaged. If Realtime is supposed to be on all the time I sure don't feel it.

What gives? I sometimes wondered if the car is mislabeled. (At the time of purchase, the maint dept listed it as 2 WD. The salesrep showed me the 4WD decal on the back and said the maint dept had just made a hasty mistake.)
    edited January 2011
    Look under the back, at the rear wheel and axle. If there is a big mechanical part in the middle, it is RT4WD. If it is bare, then your vehicle is 2WD.

Also, did you get a window sticker for the vehicle? That would show it for sure.
  • sekiseki Member Posts: 2
    Thanx for the reply!

I looked underneath and saw what appears to be a driveshaft connecting to a rear differential. The car does have a 'Realtime 4WD' sticker on the black window.

However as mentioned when vehicle was stuck in a small drift, I never saw the rear wheels move independently in either R or 1 or 2. Front wheels were doing all the work. Std transmission. This small drift is near my cabin that my previous CR-V always cruised through with ease. Conditions could be different but it looked totally doable w/o a thought.

Does the Realtime 4WD deliver power to the front and rear at all times or does it deliver power to the rear only on a as needed basis?

Can I check the vin # out w/o paying Carfax $30+?
    Only on an as-needed basis. It should kick in when the front wheels spin.
This discussion has been closed.