Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    oinktrntoinktrnt Member Posts: 22
    My experience with driving taxis in the 1980s would provide a possible answer: When I started in '82, we had these wretched Volare's. They had a six and got somewhere around 8-9mpg. A few years later the fleet was gradually switched over to larger and heavier LeBarons and Gran Fury's (based on the the Volare, but left in the oven until it was actually ready for consumption!) with a small V8. They got around 10mpg. Not a big difference, but I think the principle is that a smaller engine has to work harder. This might be true of the Elantra and Sonata, though they are probably on different platforms.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you mean with an automatic transmission, yes, it will, with both 4-cylinder and V6 engines. And the 4-cylinder is available with a 5-speed stick also! :)
  • Options
    mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Thanks for the answer. I went to the hyundai website and used the "Build and Price" option to build a 2008 hyundai sonata SE 4 cylinder, but it didnt give me an option to get a 4-speed automatic, instead of the 5-speed manual.
  • Options
    That's strange, because in the past Hyundai has shipped few MT Sonatas here.
  • Options
    aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    I believe Sonata SE is suppose to be a sporty version hence the MT only on the 4 cyl with performance tires and a spoiler......I hope when the 2009 Sonata comes out, the SE would offer steering and suspension modifications also.
  • Options
    Hey you are right! I went back a few posts and found the trim lines for the 2008 Sonata--and there's no SE I4 AT!!

26403 Sonata GLS 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-Spd M/T $16,830 $17,545

26402 Sonata GLS 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $17,964 $18,745

26412 Sonata GLS 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,091 $20,995

26453 Sonata SE 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-Spd M/T $18,244 $19,245

26452 Sonata SE 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,909 $22,095

26472 Sonata Limited 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,919 $22,345

26462 Sonata Limited 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $22,491 $24,045

That has to be the first time in a long time a mid-sized family car has been offered in MT-only trim.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Actually the mid-sized family sedan is available with an A/T at all three trim levels.

The GLS is available in 4 cyl manual and A/T and the 6 cyl is A/T only. The SE in 4 cyl only offers the M/T but the 6 cyl has A/T. The Limited has A/T (only) in either 4 or 6 cyl versions.

I think, without going back to check, that the GLS offers a package that "approximates being an SE."

Designating the SE as a "sport" model may either be genius or stupidity. Our two "company cars" are Sonatas, an '05 GLS SV and an '07 SE. If we were buying an '08 now, we'd probably opt for the GLS 6 cyl with the option package. I wouldn't spend 2 cents for a F*&%^$## spoiler...but there are those who like spoilers.
  • Options
    Yes, the mid-sized family car I was referring to is the Sonata SE I4. As I posted, you can get an AT with some kind of Sonata in all trim levels.

The GLS is not comparable to the SE in a few important aspects. First, you can't get a GLS MT with the power seat. Second, I don't think you can get a GLS with the 17" alloys, at least not from the factory. I supposed a dealer can always add them. Third, the telescopic wheel is not available on any GLS--that's a key feature of the SE, IMO.
  • Options
    I stopped by my local Hyundai dealer to see what's going on with the 2008 models. They had a couple of dozen 2008 Sonatas, mostly GLSes but also a few Limiteds. No SEs. And no V6s at all. They did have a few 2007 V6s. I am wondering if the 2008 V6s are not being made in quantity yet, or maybe they sold them already. I know V6s are being made because I drove a rental GLS V6 a couple of months ago.

One thing I noticed is that a Sonata GLS I4 AT with power seat now tops $20k. The price gap between the Sonata and its Japanese competitors is narrowing. So I expect the large rebates on the Sonata will have to continue for awhile.

BTW, two of the colors on the lot were Deepwater Blue and Dark Cherry Red. It's a sunny day, and these colors even when a little dirty absolutely sparkled. There was great depth in the paint, almost like a custom paint job. I bet they would look really good cleaned and waxed.
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Korean version will debut as an 08. USDM version wont come out until 2009. It might debut as early as detroit show for US market. Maybe earlier than that. Navigation will be a feature for 08. Also the Front end has some gensis cues.
  • Options
    dsiriasdsirias Member Posts: 34
    It was not clear to me from Hyundai usa website if this was possible. My preferance would be the LX loaded with a stick shift. Do they configure this way now?
  • Options
    SE model can be had loaded without the infinity system and no leather. It's pretty much loaded but without those features. The steering wheel is leather wrapped and only the 4 cylinder engine only. The v6 has shiftronic manual mode. Manual is 4 cylinder only. No manual on 4 cylinder limiteds.
  • Options
    eteuneeteune Member Posts: 1
    "When was the last time any sane person did over 100 mph in the states?"
    Where do you live, in a retirement community in Florida?

It really depends where in the States you live.
    In many places driving 100 MPH is nothing out of the ordinary.
    When I owned a Cadillac Catera, I regularly brought it up to 100-120 on the highway outside Chicago if there was no traffic. Very solid car, performance tires, etc.

I just got a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and on my first morning commute quickly got it up to 105 on the highway during an open stretch with no traffic.
    Would I try to reach 150mph? no, but it's nice to know that there is a real reason that the speedometer goes up to 160. :shades:
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I guess it also depends on your definition of sane.....
  • Options
    bill304bill304 Member Posts: 18
    the changes in the interiors are great compared to my 2002 V6 base model I have I esp like the controls being easy to feel/use when driving the 06-07 models but MY ONE BIG DISLIKE- the ugly LED grren backround for the stereo with black lettering, and the trip computer. Why can't designers vanish the green radio light and other ancient pee green backround,

Has anyone seen the blue lite /tinted dials/consoles on the Elantra SE, it looks so much better and that's a less expensive car. Hyundai safety standard equipemtn is tops for the price

why do the engineers seem to copy parts of so many other sedans and that in turn creates a very bland looking car, considering the price/ great features surely a more appealing sedan can be designed and not try to copy bits and pieces of other sedans-esp my 2002 headlights- mercedes light design/ rear lights on the 06-07 imitating the hyundai accord.

At least the Camry has attenpted to create a more contempoary design and no I do not own one or would prefer to buy one but at least it isn't another box with wheels.
  • Options
    Have you noticed the taillights on the Camry and also some Lexus models look very much like the taillights on the Sonata? I think there's a strong resemblence. Does that mean that Toyota copied Hyundai? I doubt it. It's just a way to design tailliamps that are horizontal bands--a very common design theme on sedans.

Automakers borrow cues from other automakers all the time, though--'02-'05 Sonata on Jaguar, '06+ Sonata on Audi, and '08 Accord on BMW as a few examples.

Personally I like the clean lines of the 2008 Sonata and prefer them to the overdone look of the Camry. But I agree the green interior lighting should go. I'll bet that changes for the refresh early next year, since most other Hyundais have the blue/red gauges now.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Hyundai did a really nice job with the Elantra's and Vera Cruz's interior and would bet we'll see this carryover with the '09 Sonata. The new Accord has raised the bar...again, and the other contenders just need to step up to the plate. Hyundai has shown that they are indeed a major leaque player now so they know the stakes are high and they will deliver.
    Truly believe that Hyundai will increase market share each year with the new models that they produce. Might even get our family to finally consider them when we buy. My 3 kids will all need cars within a few years and I'll definitely point them in Hyundai's direction first. Been a dyehard Japanese buyer since the mid '70's so Hyundai must be doing something right to get me to look at them as a possible vehicle replacement. Go Hyundai!

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    The 09 Sonata will get a veracruz like interior. The front end will have some genesis cues.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Well stated. I get tired of complaints that car A copied car B. The reality is that all the 4 door sedans competing with the Sonata are very mature, conservative designs. Interior room, comfort, aerodynamics, trunk space, and engine bay space pre-determine most of the styling. (form following function) A radical design can negatively affect the above, and detract from the car's practicality and marketability. There's only so many ways to tweak a design, and all tweaks have been used many times by now. Tail lights can only be round, square or rectangular. Rectangular lights can only be level, slant up, or slant down. No matter what tail light design is used, it will remind someone of a previous car. Believe me, no car manufacturer wants their new model's styling to look like any of the competition. However, it's all but unavoidable. I think the 06-08 Sonata is just about as unique as it can practically be.

I like the basic design of the Camry. However, have you noticed how the flush rear wheel treatment makes the whole rear end of the car look bulky? I hope that's not a trend.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the styling on the new Camry, inside or out. The impression I get is that Toyota tried a little too hard to make the exterior less boring than the previous generation. That is a great thought, but little things like the bulky rear and the pimple on the grille just don't do it for me.

OTOH, I saw a silver Sonata with the 17" wheels sitting in a parking ramp last night, and I was reminded just how classy and elegant its simple, clean lines are. I think it will wear well over time, unlike designs that are too "different". One of those was I think the '02-'05 Sonata. It looked good to me at first, but starts to look old after awhile.
  • Options
    Sat in a leather lined model last week at BJ's and was duly impressed. The only negative I found was the old looking dash with the green radio display. But from what I've read in other posts, Hyundai will be addressing that slight glitch in the '09 model. As Backy said, the lines of the car are just simple enough where it does have a classy look. Better than the Camry and just slightly behind the new Accord which in my opinion is still the benchmark in this class. It'll be interesting to see what Hyundai comes up with when the next generation Sonata arrives, probably with the 2011 model. I'm betting that Hyundai will finally be on an even playing field with the Camcord twins.

• Options
    2009 will be the facelift.

*Azera lookin front end
    *Horsepower increase for both 4cyl and V6
    *Improved fuel economy for both engines
    *5 speed auto trans for 4cyl
    *Blue background dashboard lights
    *Improved handling and ride
    *Specific sport handling for SE model
    *Redone interior featuring, more storage,better finish,less plastic looking
    *USB port and i-pod jack
    *Exhaust tuned for performance sound
    *Optional LG navigation system and maybe bluetooth

Just some highlights. All the negative features of the earlier models will be addressed in this upgrade.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! Sounds a lot like Sonata owner's wish lists. :)

I hope Hyundai doesn't "improve" the ride too much. I think it's nearly perfect. Any improvement will probably make it worse. The handling could stand a little improvement. The car already has great suspension bones, so all it should take is a little tweaking for a great handling sedan.
  • Options
    I am hoping the FE looks more like the Genesis than the Azera. The Azera's FE is OK, but kind of bland IMO, and too much chrome.

The other thing I am hoping for is that Hyundai tweaks the Sonata enough to garner a Good on the IIHS side crash test. Being able to say then that the Sonata has the best-in-class crash ratings for both NHTSA and IIHS tests would not hurt sales.
  • Options
    mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I have heard that Hyundai plans to have a diesel option for the 2009 Elantra and Santa Fe. If that's true, I hope they offer the diesel with the Sonata. It would be a no-brainer with Honda coming out with the diesel Accord.
  • Options
    acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    2008 Hyundai Sonata is about to be released sometimes in November in Korea. Looks much better than before.

• Options
    So this should be what we see in the U S in the '09 Sonata...very Elantraish dash which is a much fresher and modern design. We need to remember that the new Accord is the benchmark that all the other makers will strive for...softer touch materials with nicer colors on all the readouts. Really think hyundai has hit a home run here with this new dash design.
    Hyundai continues to impress me with each new vehicle they role out and I'm glad about that. Time to show the japanese brands that there are cheaper alternatives with the same quality products out there. And believe me, I've been a Japanese only buyer since the mid '70's and I will definitely shop Hyundai with the next round of car buying. All Hyundai needs to do is get their resale values out of the toilet and make the public realize their intrinsic value as compared to the other players in each segment. And I think Hyundai will pull this off within the next 3 to 5 years.

• Options
    I'm already seeing signs that resale value is going up. I have seen an 06 GLS V6 with 35K miles go for ~$14K. That doesn't sound good at all until you consider that car could be had brand new for ~$16K.

While the 06-07 bottom line selling prices were very low, the 08's are showing signs of staying higher. I think that will pull the resale prices of the 06-07 up a little bit.

I have 2 vehicles, and replace 1 every ~5 years with the most quality and value for the dollar. I don't look at badges or resale value, because I keep them for 8-10 years. If I needed another car immediately, the way things look, it would be another Sonata.
  • Options
    Expect the LG navigation system to be on the Limited Model maybe the SE too. Also I believe the 605w logic7 audio system should be on the limited too maybe the SE. The LG navigation system comes with a 605w infinity logic7 sound system. The navigation system has data stored on a Compact Flash card not a DVD. That means easy updates. Maybe internet or dvd updates are possible. It's touch screen but no voice recognition. It does feature audio and voice prompts. Only the genesis gets that. The genesis variant will get a backup camera that could be fitted on this LG system.
  • Options
    mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Very nice! That whole center stack/console looks to me like it was lifted right out of the Toyota Avalon. Not like that's a bad thing. I had an Avalon for a year and a half before getting a Sonata Limited. Fabulous car. Surf over to Toyota's site and check out the interior and dash pictures of the Avy. Looks like Hyundai used the same supplier for the dash doors, etc. Not a bad choice at all!
  • Options
    I am not sure what Avalon you are looking at, but the center stack in the photo looks nothing like that in the Avalon, to me.

• Options
    Better look again then, this is a direct knock-off of my '06 Avalon Limited center dashboard...
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    For starters, the HVAC on the Sonata facelift is vertical, and Avalon is horizontal.
  • Options
    Uhm... that WAS the Avalon's dash in the photo I posted. I posted it so folks could compare it to the photo of the '09 Sonata's dash that someone posted earlier. Since you own an Avalon, maybe you can tell us if you think the two dashes look similar?
  • Options
    Sorry, I may have misunderstood your post. I was referring to the picture in Post #128. The vertical part of the center console, with the doors, looks identical to the current Avalon. So does the center console and shifter area. Again, if you are going to copy, not at all a bad choice to copy from!

As an aside, while the doors make for a tidy look when closed, they get to be a bit of a pain when you actually want to interact with the controls. I ended up leaving them open most of the time... :D
  • Options
    Carbon copy? I don't see it.

• Options
    Neither do I! You are showing a picture that is marked "Toyota Camry"... we are talking aobut the Toyota Avalon.
  • Options
    Sorry about that. I still don't see it:

• Options
    Well, they look totally different to me. Only the gated shifters look similar, but many cars have gated shifters like that. And there is one covered door on the Avalon below the control pod, vs. two on the Sonata, but covered doors like that are not uncommon either. At least the Sonata dash doesn't have a door over the radio controls, as does the Avalon. I always wondered why Toyota did that.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I wonder if they will address the front passenger seat.
    One scathing review of the Sonata said the forward tilting angle of the passenger seat bottom felt like it was trying to dump you forward onto the floor rather than let you sink into the seat and relax.

Here is what the new "Azera-looking" front end will look like:
  • Options
    I doubt that's it. That photo looks like the current Sonata front end with some trim strips glued on. And I've seen those trim pieces before on a Sonata, so I think they're aftermarket add-ons.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Not to mention that the white on black makes for an ugly look. (I know it's supposed to show differences but....they wouldn't market a car looking like that.)
  • Options
    reunitedmomreunitedmom Member Posts: 1
    I agree about the seating.What I did was to buy a massager seat and put it in the passenger seat.Now, my ride is comfortable.Seems a shame I had to do that though! Other than that we really like the Car.:)
  • Options
    Courtesy of HyundaiExchange:

http://www.hyundaiexchange.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1436&start=60 - requires registration
  • Options
    It's still 2007 and the 2008s haven't been out for long. It's surprising there is already this much available information about the 2009s if it isn't going to be here until fall 2008.
    Is the 2009 model coming out early?
    I'm starting to wonder if those pics are just showing alternate styling for other countries. I can see the instrument panel shows kilometers above, so it is obviously not a picture of a US version Sonata.

It looks really good if it's coming out in the next 6 months or so.
    A 2009 Limited 4 cylinder with 5 speed automatic should be a nice car for a nice price if it turns out as described in previous posts.
  • Options
    Last I heard March 2008 for the 2009 facelift but this is not confirmed. My feeling: it would be in the second quarter 08 for the US market, that was the case for the 2006, 2007, and 2008 model-years.
  • Options
    The 2006 Sonata first appeared in the U.S. in April 2005, so a March release for the 2009 model is not too far-fetched. And since Sonata faces strong competition from newer competitors like Camry, Accord, and Malibu, an early release date in the U.S. is a good idea.
  • Options
    Maybe, but if you go to the beginning of this topic, you will see lots of bogus information posted about the 2008. Someone even said it would have a 6 speed transmission.
    They posted pictures of Asian or European market Sonatas and claimed they were pics of the restyled 2008 Sonata.
    The same type of bad information might be posted again with the 2009.
  • Options
    That's what makes these forums so much like Forrest Gump--you never know what you're gonna get. :)

Personally I wait for the official unveilings before I get too excited, but since the refreshed Sonata will probably be released in the ROK before it is here, it's not unreasonable that there are photos available now.
  • Options
    Obviously those spy photos are non-US spec (the speedometer clear giveaway).

Regardless, the interior is a fantastic improvement - kudos!!