Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Sonata

12346»

Comments

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "7500 mile tune up" unless you mean an oil change and service.

My 1997 Explorer engine cratered with about 1800 miles on the car due to an oil pump failure. Ford could have merely overhauled the engine, but they wanted to tear it down to determine the cause of the failure. I, of course, wanted a new car, but ended up with a new engine instead. So in answer to your question, yes ka ka does happen. The important question is: How will Hyundai handle it?

By the way, even though the recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles, I think it's a good idea to change the oil much earlier the first time. There's a lot of nasty stuff floating around in the oil early in the break-in period,
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    It could be the person who changed oil (if the tune up you indicated you had WAS mainly an oil/filter change and it probably was) was distracted before tightening the filter or oil drain plug completely or possibly did not fill the engine (or fill completely) with new oil. If either was the case what you have is engine failure by human error. Or it wouldn't be unheard of to have an early oil pump failure as the previous poster indicated. I'm guessing there aren't many who would have experienced this with a new car of any make. Let Hyundai dismantle the engine and if it was a mechanical failure Hyundai will learn something and you will get a rebuilt or new engine if ruined beyond repair. Sure it is a major inconvenience and no I would not want to experience something like this with a new car but "poo-poo" does happen !
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Shame this happened but take the new or rebuilt engine and see what they'll "give" you to compensate for the aggravation this has caused. They owe you something "extra" I'd think to make up with some dealer goodwill that will go along way in the future.
    Good luck and enjoy the rental...make 'em give ya something really nice to enjoy!

The Sandman :)
  • luvmysonataluvmysonata Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2008 Sonata (Great deal Dealer asking price $14000, agreed on $11600) with a rear spoiler. When I pop the trunk the trunk does not lift. It requires a lot of strenth to lift past the midpoint. After the midpoint it is not an issue. Has anybody experienced this problem? I called the dealer and they do replace the shock. But I think I will encounter the same problem. I will probably go to PepBoys to see if they have stronger shocks for the trunk. The vehicle has 19k miles. I wll have to call the dealer to see if it is covered under the Bumber/bumber warr.
  • qs84qs84 Member Posts: 10
    Current generation Sonata's have heavy trunks, I do not have a spoiler, but suggest that you try a trunk without any spoiler to compare the feel. I have gotten use to it, and do like that a heavy wind does not allow it to blow it and hit me in my head like a previous vehicle that I owned.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    The trunks do not "pop" open upon release, you have to lift them. There is some resistance until you get it open. You'll like this feature in case you hit the trunk release by accident. My Lumina would pop all the way open if I hit it by accident. I was happy to see all the stuff in my trunk still there after an hour of shopping. Be happy it's this way.
  • pergrampergram Member Posts: 1
    when my 2008 sonata hit 60k motor started doing the same thing ticking then louder and louder till the crank rod cap came off and self distructed the engine..the problem hyundai said was faulty bolts put in at the factory . but it took a hyumdai rep to say it was coverd..the authorized dealer i got the feeling wasnt going to cover it..now its exactly 60k later with the new rebuilt..yes rebuilt..not totaly new engine and its starting to make the same sounds all over again...but now im screwed cuz its no longer under warranty...DONT BUY A HYUNDAI...
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    sorry to hear-when we had transmission problems the transmission was replaced by a "new" rebuilt one. I think all brands of cars use rebuilt transmission, engines, etc. I personally love hyundai's and would recommend them
  • yosiyosi Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Sonata 2008 4 cyl. I started getting Airbag and passenger seat-belt signs blinking. Whenever a passengers seats the seat-belt light does not blink, but airbag warning on my dashboard is still turned on. I went to the dealer and they told me to replace the cushion for the passenger which costs $1200 pluse $250 for labor. I am wondering if anyone has run into the same issue and was able to resolve it without spending 1200 for a cushion?
    Thank you.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    edited May 2012
    Hi, I have the 2006 version, but I believe they are virtually identical with a few cosmetic changes. If you research it, there was a recall regarding the pressure sensor in the passenger seat regarding the passenger airbag light. Question: do you move your seat back and forth often or recently? I've found once, that after my wife moved the seat forward and I've moved it back, the electrical plug for the airbag dislodged from the socket. Check under your seats for loose plugs. Good luck!
    Thank you for your response. the passenger sides move often times whenever I give a ride to my mom =). However, on the driver side, I do not move the seat a lot. The dealers said, there was no recall regarding my case so I could not argue with them. As you said, you have a 2006 one. do you sell it? please let me know, I am irritated by the light that keeps blinking when I drive so I always end up putting the passenger seat belt on even if there is no passenger. Also since i live in VA every year we have inspection and it will not pass unless I take care of it.
    Thank you
    Hi, I still have my 2006 sonata 2.4L with 46000 miles on it. There is a recall affecting 2006-2008 sonatas, regarding the airbag and passenger front seat cushion which houses the pressure sensor which activates the airbag and seatbeat light.... you should call the 800 number and speak to someone about it. Sounds like your dealer is trying to avoid this. Did you buy the car new? or used? Is your sonata a 4 or 6 cylinder? What is your mother's approx. weight? Or the weight of any other passengers that sit in the front seat? Check out these links, google other TSB/recalls on the sonata. Good luck! Let me know how you do.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Hyundai-Sonata-2008/recalls/

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/hyundai/hyundai_sonata.htm

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 08V161000

Recall Date: 2008-04-10

Summary:

HYUNDAI IS RECALLING 393,308 MY 2006-2008 SONATA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN ADVANCED AIR BAG SYSTEM WHICH FEATURES AN OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM (OCS) IN THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT. THE PURPOSE OF THE OCS IS TO DISABLE THE RIGHT PASSENGER SEAT FRONT AIR BAG WHEN IT DETECTS THE PRESENCE OF A CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM OR SMALL CHILD IN THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT. THE RIGHT FRONT AIR BAG IS DISABLED TO PREVENT INJURIES TO A CHILD THAT MAY RESULT FROM A RIGHT FRONT AIR BAG INFLATION DURING A CRASH.

Consequences:

MISCLASSIFICATION OF A SMALL STATURE ADULT AS A CHILD IN THE RIGHT FRONT PASSENGER SEAT MAY CAUSE THE RIGHT FRONT AIR BAG TO NOT INFLATE IN AN ACCIDENT THAT MERITS AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT AND MAY RESULT IN INJURY TO THE RIGHT FRONT OCCUPANT.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL VERIFY THAT THE OCS DOES NOT PROPERLY RECOGNIZE A PROPERLY SEATED ADULT OCCUPANT. AFTER VERIFICATION, DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT CUSHION ASSEMBLY AND SHIP IT TO AN EVALUATION AND REPAIR FACILITY. THIS FACILITY WILL EVALUATE AND REPAIR OR REPROGRAM THE SEAT CUSHION AND OCS AS NECESSARY. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT MAY 26, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI AT 1-800-633-5151.

Component Affected:

AIR BAGS

Notes:

HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY
  • firefighter602firefighter602 Member Posts: 1
    Please message me with more details. Mine did the EXACT same thing and I am at 75k miles. Literally, tick, tick, boom. No engine and now they are not wanting to honor their platimum warranty that I paid for when I bought it new. I am seeing a potential recall, but they don't seem to care.
    firefighterfitness@suddenlink.net
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Make sure to report your issues at www.safecar.gov. Owners reporting issues there is the best way to force a recall.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks for your response. I have opened up a case with www.safecar.gov and apparently there was a recall reagrding a passenger side cushion. There is a campaign # listed there (08V161000 (AIR BAGS)) and aparently my care was never fixed for that recall. Now I have called Hyundai and provided the info. Hyundai has its own campaign # and it is 083. I have set an appointment with them this afternoon. I will let you know how the result. I hope they will respect the recall and fix the issue.

Thank you.
    Yes Sir,

I wish I saw your comment a bit earlier. But I did and I found out that there was a recall for my model and when I provided them with my VIN number they confirmed that my car was not repaired for that recall. either way they need to do something about the recall. I hope this will help other owners as well.
    Thank you
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, I am a "ma'am" rather than a "sir," but I'm glad you were able to find info about the recall. Sometimes this happens when people buy a vehicle used - I presume yours was used - somehow, the ownership info doesn't get transferred, or the previous owner got the recall notice and ignored it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited May 2012
    hopefully things will go well from here on out. I got the recall notice, but felt no need to have it checked/reprogrammed/replaced since I was not and have not been experiencing problems with it. If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that the dealer will need to remove the seat cushion and test (send in for testing?) and determine if a replacement is necessary. Out of curiosity, are you the original owner? Or did you buy the car used?
    I am sorry Ma'am, lol

Well, I went to the dealership and showed them with the recall from safercar.gov. Unfortunately, from what they told me, my car's VIN is not part of the recall on hyundai's database as a result I need to have it fix with my own expense. They are looking for a used part that matches my car. But thank you for taking time to give me an advice. =)
    Thanks for your response, No I am not the original owner. I bought mine from CarMax. I am ordering a used one now. I had no option but to have it fix before my inspection and probably will sell it.
    Thanks